Multiple printers on USB

Problems and successes with specific brands/models of printers
dogle

Multiple printers on USB

#1 Post by dogle »

My usual setup is Puppy 4.3.1 + libnetsnmp-15-mu-p4 + hpliplite-3.9.8-mu-p4 with HP Deskjet F4180 on USB, and HP Laserjet 4l on parallel cable as standby. All fine and dandy.

Recently I picked up a used HP Deskjet F2180 very cheaply, and set out to test it. Installed on USB, CUPS picking up the full HP URL (with the serial number).

Well, it works just fine - but not when the F4180 is powered! Likewise in reverse - neither USB printer is happy if the other one is alive; a test page request then results in "/ioerror in--.outputpage--" message or a printer 'brainstorm'.

This is hardly a showstopper because I have no need to run two printers at the same time, but it has me baffled. Why should one USB printer thus affect the other? The CUPS menu allows for umpteen generic USB device identities, yet the unique HP device identities fail to prevent this clash.

Is this a known issue with hplip/hpliplite? Has anyone else experienced similar .... (or am I failing to see the blindingly obvious)?

rcrsn51

#2 Post by rcrsn51 »

I don't know if your situation is being caused by your old CUPS 1.1.23 or the USB support in Puppy 4.3.1. But using Quirky with CUPS 1.3.11, I can plug in multiple USB printers with no problems. They can be booted in either order, singly or together and CUPS can always identify the correct unit.

dogle

#3 Post by dogle »

Many thanks.

The old CUPS does not appear to be having a problem sending data to the appropriate printer so, in the absence of any hpliplite issues, the USB support looks like the main suspect.