SimplePup Report

Promote Puppy !
Lobster
Official Crustacean

SimplePup Report

#1 Post by Lobster »

:)

I think I am coming up to my second or even third week in SimplePup.

It has some important lessons for Puppy

Simple is good - it is easy
The icons on the base invite clicking and it becomes obvious what they do . . .
To make it more familiar to the timid Windows user it could by default be moved to the left . . .

Good
Polished icons - these have been submitted continually to the Puppy forum but in SimplePup they are there . . . Nice!

Having a speaker that you can click on or just drag the green sound bar up - great. It just feels polished.

The best thing about SimplePup is I do not have to search through the menu (Puppy - this is funny - has a bloated menu - I can not always find things easily)
Everything is simple and obvious in SimplePup and very usable
I am NOT going to search and change icons - I am not going to run programs from the CLI. Most mainstream users similarly do not have the time or inclination either. You may squirm. You may think the world should be full of operating system geeks and CLI gurus - but it ain't

If you have wifi it is probably ideal to set up and use SimplePup - How are those using wifi getting on -seems good?

I think SimplePup is the ideal platform for those wishing to translate Puppy into other languages

Niggles
Can not change the time (they put the clocks forward yesterday in the UK) this should involve the menu change time - does it work in Puppy 1.0.7?

Firefox crashes - 1 - 3 times a day - believe it or not I still prefer Firefox and of course this has nothing to do with Simple Pup BUT of course does impact on it - It may be (and I suspect is) something to do with the xfce interface. Mozilla/Seamonkey and Opera are more reliable. I would stick with Firefox it is is very pleasant to use.

Gaim needs to be there

Some more xine Codec needs to be there - not sure which - apple mov I think

Is Java too mainstream to leave out? The thing is too huge?

The xfce WM can crash when changing to different themes

Will I be returning to mainstream puppy for 1.0.9? and use the new Alpha of Puppy2 for 31March upload? - yes I should think so. But SimplePup I believe is the way Puppy should move (though I doubt the xfce WM will be used)

OK the one simple lesson for Puppy is this:
Simplicity
For eg. why are the icons in the top left.?
I invariably drag the ones I use to the bottom of the screen. Do others do this? If so then does it make sense to arrange the icons along the bottom of the screen, as on the Mac? Or is the existing arrangement working better?

Again and AGAIN and AGAIN programmers have to be reminded - it is not how good your underlying code is - it is how it impacts and interacts with the end user that determines its success and adoption.

Do try SimplePup and report back. I for one like it enough to use it and continue using it. All credit to Barry, Pizzasgood, timcriger and everyone who made SimplePup our best Puplet to date.

woof woof :D

More about SimplePup and download location
http://www.murga.org/~puppy/viewtopic.php?p=42964#42964

:D
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

sunburnt

#2 Post by sunburnt »

I liked it from the start, as you say... easy to use, & I think very sharp looking.
I think the Start menu poping up everywhere is annoying, & others have said so also, make it an option that's not on by default.
GUIs to edit the menu & change the button panel are needed (it may have some already).
The button panel should be on the left by default, & if possable allow for more button panels.
I agree that it needs Gaim... I sincerely hope that timcriger puts it in so the rest of us won't have to.

All the apps. for LanPuppy must be in the usr_cram.fs file = smaller image.gz file = more memory for the diskless client PCs.
A small image.gz file size is one thing that tells me that SimplePup was made properly, making it a good base to work from.

Lobster
Official Crustacean

bone-marrow goodness

#3 Post by Lobster »

:)
SimplePup has died and gone to Puppy Heaven :cry:

However . . . :D Tim is working on the all new, all singing, all dancing whole community based Puppy109 (with added bone-marrow goodness)
http://puppylinux.org/wikka/PracticePuppy

Hooray! Join the fun! 8)
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D