pemasu

#61 Post by pemasu »

I found this from the net.
Attachments
WeatherLocationDatabase.tar.gz
(60.25 KiB) Downloaded 210 times

stu90

#62 Post by stu90 »

lowrider wrote:Sound, Video, Wireless. Everything works fine here. Thx again.

Just one thing that i have not find out yet. How to get the right weather code from AccuWeather.com for my location in Germany so i can modify the .conkyrc?
I seen this way posted on the arch forum:

Code: Select all

site:http://www.accuweather.com/world-forecast-calendar.asp LOCATION
Change the location to some where in around or near where you live, a town of city for example then paste into a google search.

Here as an example is the result for Berlin from the accuweather web address:
EUR%7CDE%7CGM003%7CBERLIN&

and in format for conky:
EUR|DE|GM003|BERLIN

stu90

#63 Post by stu90 »

DaveS wrote:
no, I just wanted to add pfind and nuulg was the only option.
Just tried to download pfind, i have the same results - seems to try and download from a no more used address - i think this is the address it should be looking for when trying to download?
http://distro.ibiblio.org/quirky/pet_packages-common/

stu90

#64 Post by stu90 »

Jim1911 wrote:Hi stu90,

Great job! Very nice selection of minimum applications and they all appear to work fine.

Consider:
1. Revert back to Nathan's wallpaper setter. Your's gives no options and it's nice to have a thumbnail of the wallpaper.
2. For your menu Terminal select, please use Urxvt or something that has a normal bar. I have a hard time remembering commands and it took a while for me to remember how to exit. There are probably others with the same problem.

I've only tested one additional application, Firefox 6, which works fine. Now to see what else I can add. Thank you for a fast, solid distribution that makes a great platform to create a custom distribution that fits ones own taste.

EDIT: One problem that I just discovered when trying to add my printer "Firefox can't establish a connection to the server at localhost:631".

Cheers,
Jim
Thanks Jim1911,
regarding wallpaper setter - this is not so simple as Nathan's wallpaper setter and pwallpaper set the wallpaper for Rox only - i need to set the wallpaper at the same time for both Rox and feh so when you switch between Desk on/off the wallpaper is consistent.
Conventional terminal is in Menu>utility>urxvt

To change the terminal at the top of the openbox right click menu open the file:
/root/.config/openbox/menu_top.xml
and change
urxvt -geometry "36x12" to rxvt -geometry "60x19"
then run menu>openbox>refesh menu

printer support has been removed as i recall it takes up a few mb's - i have the .pets here if i can figure out which are the ones needed i could upload then as a extra but i want to concentrate on other things first and i dont have a printer so it wouldn't be a priority.

cheers.

stu90

#65 Post by stu90 »

jim3630 wrote:
stu90 wrote:
jim3630 wrote:
do you have a wl.ko pet?
Hi Jim3630,
No i have no .pet for this - i wouldn't know where to start with compiling kernels and drivers and the like - maybe pemasu has posted a .pet for this as he seems to be well up on wifi ?
Stu for the 2.6.39 kernels pemasu has built in many 3rd party drivers. He mentioned in another thread hoped all the dpups would use his kernels thus have those 3rd party drivers built in as well. :lol:
I agree about the benefit of using the same kernels to cut down on extra work - i have downloaded pemasu's 2.6.39 kernel and will try a new build with it tomorrow 8)

stu90

#66 Post by stu90 »

pemasu wrote:I want to correct that I hoped all the dpups use same kernel. I didnt mean to use mine. I will wait next Iguleders kernel and lets see if kernel traffic settles down.

Main reason is that same third party kernel module drivers fits to all dpups.

Stu90. Thank you of your nice accuweather scripts. I picked them up from your dpup. It was quite difficult to find out the finnish code but I succeeded in it. I found it from the finnish weather links page. I just couldnt figure out how to get it from accuweather.com rss address page.
I cant take credit for the weather script as i found it on arch form and just did a small edit for the theme i use - which in turn i found on i think it was crunchbang forum. :D

gjuhasz

ISA bus sound chip works!!!

#67 Post by gjuhasz »

pemasu wrote:I want to correct that I hoped all the dpups use same kernel. I didnt mean to use mine. I will wait next Iguleders kernel and lets see if kernel traffic settles down.
I am really happy to hear sound from my PII Toshiba Tecra 8000 :D
There was some uncertainty about supporting ISA-bus sound drivers: http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 718#550405.
However, squeeze-5.0.5 is the first puppy with 2.6.39 kernel in which snd-opl3sa2 driver has been correctly compiled. (I experienced no-go with Drake and previous dpups).

Kudos to all developers who participated!

DaveS

#68 Post by DaveS »

Here is a little more info re failed download from PPM. Here is the dialogue immediately prior to attempting to download pfind. As you can see, there is only a single mirror option, and that fails.
Attachments
ppmerror.png
(28.74 KiB) Downloaded 980 times
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

DaveS

#69 Post by DaveS »

For anybody struggling with setting up Conky to give their localo weather, here is the location code database.

EDIT: Bum.. Pemasu beat me to it :) Could have saved 30 mins of research if I had noticed that :(
Attachments
Weather Location Database.zip
(60.19 KiB) Downloaded 225 times
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

pemasu

#70 Post by pemasu »

Dave S. Lol. Well....now also other jumpily reading people should find it. As you showed people tend to read threads quickly to see if there is something which interest them. Maybe it would be good to make standard so that every package upload would be done twice. Maybe JohnMurga could make some automation for it.
Lol.

stu90

#71 Post by stu90 »

Here is an combined .sfs of ffmpeg - mplayer - gnome-mplayer - gecko mediaplayer built from the packages straight from the debain repo of ppm.

Not sure about the ubuntu file hosting it seems to suck - i had to upload 3 times before it showed up in the files list :?
http://ubuntuone.com/p/19SH/
md5
265d648b7ee06d58934b15eeb4fa32f7

pemasu

#72 Post by pemasu »

Stu90. Multimedia sfs package is good idea. I can make 01mickos ffmpeg-0.8-mplayer-gnome-mplayer-1.04 (compiled in dpup)-geckomediaplayer-1.04 (compiled in dpup)-sfs with needed dependencies-libs.

Alse there is Iguleders mplayer2 which looks like static compile. Possibly Iguleder will upload static ffmpeg also. He posted about it in Barrys blog.

So...user can select what sfs he/she wants to use and load that sfs.

Also...when there is available different-newer-improved-stripped-whatever multimedia sfs, it is easy to switch to use it.

Have you uploaded or done for dpup your great Umplayer package ?

stu90

#73 Post by stu90 »

Hi pemasu,
I made a new .pet for latest umplayer using debain libs but is seems for me youtube playback is not working, playing local video's and shoutcast still work though - i booted into my lucid build which has an earlier version of umplayer that i know worked to playback youtube but that also did not work - maybe youtube have altered the video links on their site so umplayer can not play them?

Anyway here is download link - will need to install either Iguleder's mplayer2 .pet or the media-playback .sfs above.
umplayer 0.97-1
http://ubuntuone.com/p/19V9/

cheers.

Béèm
Location: Brussels IBM Thinkpad R40, 256MB, 20GB, WiFi ipw2100. Frugal Lin'N'Win

#74 Post by Béèm »

pemasu wrote:Dave S. Lol. Well....now also other jumpily reading people should find it. As you showed people tend to read threads quickly to see if there is something which interest them. Maybe it would be good to make standard so that every package upload would be done twice. Maybe JohnMurga could make some automation for it.
Lol.
Indeed reading posts is an art.
I already give the logical way to find the location code :wink:
DaveS, didn't take me 30 minutes to find it. :roll:
Time savers:
Find packages in a snap and install using Puppy Package Manager (Menu).
[url=http://puppylinux.org/wikka/HomePage]Consult Wikka[/url]
Use peppyy's [url=http://wellminded.com/puppy/pupsearch.html]puppysearch[/url]

Billtoo

Squeeze 5x D-Lite

#75 Post by Billtoo »

I added a bunch of apps to D-lite and ran the remaster script.
It created an iso 622 mb in size so it's not so lite anymore :)
But it's most of what I want in it.

I've done a manual frugal install of the new iso to my laptop and it's working fine.

Wed 10 Aug 2011 Operating System: D-Lite Puppy-5.0.5 Linux 2.6.39
0.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc Manhattan [Mobility Radeon HD 5000 Series]
oem: ATI ATOMBIOS product: PARK 01.00

X Server: Xorg Driver: unknown
X.Org version: 1.7.7
dimensions: 1600x900 pixels (423x238 millimeters)
depth of root window: 24 planes

direct rendering: Yes
server glx vendor string: SGI
server glx version string: 1.2
OpenGL vendor string: Mesa Project
OpenGL renderer string: Software Rasterizer
OpenGL version string: 2.1 Mesa 7.7.1

Intel(R) Core(TM) i5 CPU M 430
Core 0: 1199 1: 1199 2: 1199 3: 1199 MHz

# glxgears
1385 frames in 5.0 seconds
1304 frames in 5.0 seconds
1327 frames in 5.0 seconds

Thanks for D-lite, it's great.

stu90

#76 Post by stu90 »

Cool Billtoo 8)
I notice you have umplayer there - is it a package you build yourself, do you have any issues playing youtube?

---------------------------------
Regarding the conky weather i have added the location file Pemasu and DaveS posted and a help file on how / where to change the code for the next build in the /root/.conky directory so hopefully make it easier to get correct weather location - i also added menu entries for the various scripts in /root/my-applications/bin that are missing and a new dark wallpaper. :)

I haven't changed anything the the puppy installer i think i read in pemasus thread there is issues with the installer? Theres also no gparted installed in D-lite.

Billtoo

#77 Post by Billtoo »

stu90 wrote:Cool Billtoo 8)
I notice you have umplayer there - is it a package you build yourself, do you have any issues playing youtube?

---------------------------------
Regarding the conky weather i have added the location file Pemasu and DaveS posted and a help file on how / where to change the code for the next build in the /root/.conky directory so hopefully make it easier to get correct weather location - i also added menu entries for the various scripts in /root/my-applications/bin that are missing and a new dark wallpaper. :)

I haven't changed anything the the puppy installer i think i read in pemasus thread there is issues with the installer? Theres also no gparted installed in D-lite.
I compiled umplayer from source, the youtube part quit working a week or so ago but it's still useful for playing videos etc..
kde games likely added quite a bit to the size of the iso but well worth it :)

I like the openbox wm + tint, kind of grows on you.

The small system apps are nice too, I used puppizard to install viewnoir.
Attachments
image-1.jpg
(20.82 KiB) Downloaded 1055 times
Last edited by Billtoo on Thu 11 Aug 2011, 01:48, edited 1 time in total.

pemasu

#78 Post by pemasu »

I modified the /usr/sbin/sfsget and renamed it as /usr/sbin/sfsgetmgr (so that original exists) and made Menu entry for it in Menu > Setup > Setup Puppy

It connects to the smokey01 exprimo repo and you can download sfs apps from there.

I can update stu90`s sfs apps there so that all creations are in one downloadable repo.

I dont know how to create multiple primary sites so I am obligated to use one site atm. Better coder might know how to load 2 sites if it is possible.

Test it from menu and you understand how it works.

I think this could be one way to have easily modular dpup with slightly different base dpup and the size can be kept small.
Attachments
sfsget-manager-0.0.1.pet
(7.56 KiB) Downloaded 287 times

stu90

#79 Post by stu90 »

pemasu wrote:I modified the /usr/sbin/sfsget and renamed it as /usr/sbin/sfsgetmgr (so that original exists) and made Menu entry for it in Menu > Setup > Setup Puppy

It connects to the smokey01 exprimo repo and you can download sfs apps from there.

I can update stu90`s sfs apps there so that all creations are in one downloadable repo.

I dont know how to create multiple primary sites so I am obligated to use one site atm. Better coder might know how to load 2 sites if it is possible.

Test it from menu and you understand how it works.

I think this could be one way to have easily modular dpup with slightly different base dpup and the size can be kept small.
Nice work Pemasu 8)
I don't know if it will break anything but i made a small edit to start sfs on the fly after the download instead of the boot manager one which requires you to reboot before and .sfs can be used.

You also got that media .sfs down nice and small - great stuff :)

If you could test some of these .sfs at your end

Lucid Boxee.sfs should work with the media.sfs.
Lucid celestia.sfs works ok here.
Lucid XBMC.sfs to work it needs an extra lib in /usr/lib add to the .sfs or dpup .iso? (lib attached below)

Celestia
http://www.smokey01.com/stu90/lucid.pup ... _1.6.0.sfs

Boxee
http://www.smokey01.com/stu90/lucid.pup ... .13692.sfs

XBMC
http://www.smokey01.com/stu90/lucid.pup ... c_10.1.sfs

cheers.
Attachments
XBMC-lib.tar.gz
missing xbmc lib - needs to be in /usr/lib
(33.55 KiB) Downloaded 295 times
sfsget-manager-0.0.2.pet
(7.51 KiB) Downloaded 279 times

pemasu

#80 Post by pemasu »

Stu90. I have downloaded your updated sfsget-manager, but it goes tomorrow before I have time with Puppy testing. My wife birthday keeps me away from Puppy devel.

I am right now tuning Puppy to show romantic movie from big TV screen and I stole some time here, lol. But I have to quit now and start to play movie.
Cheers.