Slacko 5.3.3 CD booting freezes

Please post any bugs you have found
Tyson

Slacko 5.3.3 CD booting freezes

#1 Post by Tyson »

Hello everybody,

since 2 days I'm trying hard to boot a Slacko 5.3.3 live CD (also tried PAE version).

My box is an Acer TM8215WLMi (T7200 Intel duo, ATI radeon X1600, 4GB ram, WD 500GB, WinXPpro, Pinguy11.10, ArtistX1.02 Multisystem).

Tried Slacko on my wifes Aspire4736Z (T4500 Intel, Intel GMA 4500M, 3GB ram, Win7) and it booted to a black desktop, but with a friendly "Woof, woof".

On our sons new Dell Inspiron N4050 (Intel i3, Intel HD Graphics 3000, 4GB ram, Win7) Slacko booted straight to a desktop.

I used various Puppies throughout the years and would love to wellcome Slacko in my pack too - especially after having seen it perform on the Dell.

At first attempt it booted until "Loading kernel modules" just to stop there.
With loglevel=7 I could see "firewire_ohci: Failure to set Link Power Status" when it stopped booting.
I tried acpi=off, blacklist=firewire_ohci and pfix=#debug nomodeset and Slacko would stop booting with different messages at a time, but always with a "firewire_ohci ####### PCI INT A -> GSI 20 (level, low) -> IRQ20" line above.

To crosscheck my DVD-RAM I downloaded Lupu 528.005 and it booted straight to its desktop from its CD.

I do consider myself rather being linux-"innocent", so any help would be really appreciated.

Thank you, my best regards

Karl Godt

#2 Post by Karl Godt »

Tried Slacko on my wifes Aspire4736Z (T4500 Intel, Intel GMA 4500M, 3GB ram, Win7) and it booted to a black desktop, but with a friendly "Woof, woof".
This i have too atm with some 2.6.37.4 compiled kernels all with different graphic features with Puppy-4.3.1 Xorg-1.3.0 :
xorgwizard works ok
and when running xwin and loading the desktop :
black screen with working 'x' cursor but no keyboard input anymore.
Xorg's last line in /tmp/xerrs.log is like that :
/usr/sbin/delayedrun: line 92: /root/Startup/RETIRED: ist ein Verzeichnis.
(from /usr/sbin/delayedrun -> Startup folder error because the delayedrun script checks for -x content and to cd into a directory this has to be x-ecutable)

Onboard Graphics Chip : Intel
Monitor : LED

The 2.6.30 kernels are capable to work with that LCD monitor on this machine.

I was installing some Mesa into /usr/local so if the 2.6.30 kernel works with that HW this should not be the problem ...

CRT always was working OK .

Tyson

#3 Post by Tyson »

Thanks Karl, but right now I would rather prefer getting Slacko working on my Travelmate.

Speaking of Travelmate, I tried pfix=nox and to my surprise I got the language selection and therafter a commandline.
Tried "xorgwizard" couple of times with various options - like vesa, trying to let xorgwizard find the right driver, selecting radeon -
xwin just would not work.

Tried the same thing just now, it would stop again as described in my first posting. With loglevel=7 I could see on top
of the screen a message about a "segfault at ####### error 4 in libc-2.13.so".

Anything that I could do to troubleshoot?

Karl Godt

#4 Post by Karl Godt »

Code: Select all

modprobe -l | grep fire
kernel/drivers/atm/firestream.ko
kernel/drivers/firewire/firewire-ohci.ko
kernel/drivers/firewire/firewire-core.ko
kernel/drivers/firewire/firewire-net.ko
kernel/drivers/firewire/nosy.ko
kernel/drivers/firewire/firewire-sbp2.ko
kernel/drivers/media/dvb/firewire/firedtv.ko
kernel/drivers/net/starfire.ko
The file /etc/rc.d/MODULESCONFIG
should have something like :
SKIPLIST=" nouveau arcfb cirrusfb cyber2000fb cyblafb hgafb neofb pm2fb s1d13xxxfb sstfb tdfxfb tridentfb vga16fb aty128fb atyfb radeonfb i810fb intelfb kyrofb nvidiafb rivafb savagefb sisfb btaudio es1371 i810_audio kahlua trident ub usbkbd usbmouse via82cxxx_audio "
If you open this file in e3 or mp editor you could try many things like :

SKIPLIST=' firestream firewire-ohci firewire-core firewire-net nosy firewire-sbp2 firedtv starfire '
which would /etc/rc.d/rc.sysint make a /tmp/modprobe.conf with blacklist entries for these .
Note : This would enable the former blacklisted drivers (IF they are shipped with the distro-version)

And then remove as many drivers as possible with

M=`lsmod |awk '{print $1}'`
for i in $M;do modprobe -vr $i;done
Probably needs to run more than one time and

source /etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit 
to make udevd + pup_event_backend_modprobe + modprobe load the drivers again, hopefully not loading the drivers .

I have better luck with my kernels with Lupu Xorg-1.7.6 than 4.3.x with Xorg-1.3.0 .

So i would experiment with the drivers, but this would better need a full installation to do that or try racy-xorg-1.11 .

Tyson

#5 Post by Tyson »

Danke Karl, thanks for taking the time for a detailed answer.

I would just like to try what you proposed, if only I could get a Terminal/Console. Speaking of install Slacko, did you mean "frugal"?

When booting stops the computer does not react to any input. It's kind of frustrating to see the lines scrolling by, when using loglevel option, and not being able to read. Or is there a way to get hold of a bootlog?
When I use vga=0x314 option I see some red lines rushing by and they are error messages for sure.

I am sorry, as written in my first posting, I am not a Linux nerd, just another user, but sure would like to get this system running.

With friendly greetings from Brasil

Karl Godt

#6 Post by Karl Godt »

To install full :
Boot a distro that boots ( LUPU)
Change the CD/DVD for the desired Slacko CD
Click the sr0 icon on desktop
Mount the partition to install to by clicking its drive icon
Click the puppy_slacko-5.3.3.sfs
Open some terminal rxvt
cp -a --remove-destination /mnt+sr0+puppy_slacko-5.3.3.sfs/* /mnt/sda2/

mkdir /mnt/sda2/boot
cp /mnt/sr0/vmlinuz /mnt/sda2/boot/vmlinuz
grub-install --root-directory=/mnt/sda2 /dev/sda
ls -R /mnt/sda2/boot
Ohterwise : Since you know to use boot parameters i can only advise to post in the hardware section .

Brasil has got a reputation of RIO, SAO PAULO, BRASILIA, Djungles, Mountains, Rivers, Crime and Natural Desasters . Good Luck !

Forgot to add

echo "
title Slacko 5.3.3 on sda2
root (hd0,1)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz
">> /mnt/sda2/boot/grub/menu.lst

Tyson

#7 Post by Tyson »

Vielen Dank Karl,

very detailed and helpful instruction, will try it when I'm back on monday.

You know, mothers day, family etc... :roll:

You're right, just forgot corruption as political system, social security, that does not deserve its name, diminishing glory of Brazilian football/F1...
It's a shame, as this county/continent would posses all she needs for being nearly a paradise, if - if only there would not be relentless systematic robbery.

I will keep you informed next week, learning by (informed) trial and fail it will be :lol:

Wish you a nice weekend

Tyson

#8 Post by Tyson »

Guten Tag Karl,

it's me disturbung again. Tried to install Slacko the way you proposed, but something does not work right with slacko.sfs file.
First "cp" would give up with message "not a directory", when trying "unsqashfs" there comes another error message:
zlib: uncompress, unknown error -3 failed
read_block: failed to read block @0x6cb9a6a
read_fragment_table: failed to read fragment table index

But I do know, the sfs-file must be OK otherwise it wouln't have booted on the Dell.
To make sure that Lupu works allright I did an "unsquashfs" with it's own sfs-file on the CD and that worked just fine.

Sorry to create problems,

with my best regards

Karl Godt

#9 Post by Karl Godt »

:oops:
I forgot, that kernels >= 2.6.38 use squashfs compression xz, not gz now mostly.

Slacko comes with 2 kernels i think : one 2.6.37.6 and one PAE for RAM >= 3-4 GB .

Lupu would need an extra mksqushfs/unsqushfs for the newer kernels .

mksquashfs can be configured with 4 different compressions : gz, lzo, lzma, xz(lzma2) .

Must say that i had not time to try slacko-5.3.3 and am stucked with 5.3.1 ...

Its not the first time, that this development causes confusion to me .

greengeek

#10 Post by greengeek »

Tyson

#11 Post by Tyson »

Never mind Karl,

I think, it's the global problem with Linux of any flavour, that you have to read, try and error with any major upgrading, not to speak switching distros. Linux needs to be more standardized, if it wants to be used by more people.

@greengeek

Thank you for the links.
Slacko 5.3 works "straight out of the box" on my laptop, although x would come up with its xorgwizard to confirm 1680x1050x16 resolution. 32bit colours not available with Slacko?

What could I do, to finally get Slacko 5.3.3 booting on my laptop? As I understand the philosophy of Puppy, one should't need a new (Intel i3?) Computer to be able to use it.

With my best regards

Karl Godt

#12 Post by Karl Godt »

People that always need the newest seems to have difficulties with their ego .

Probably the version numbering should go backwards : First release NR 999 , second 998.9 etc .

bash-3.2$ ddcprobe
mmap /dev/zero: Permission denied
VESA BIOS Extensions not detected.
bash-3.2$ ls -l /dev/zero
crw-rw-rw- 1 root root 1, 5 2001-02-13 19:40 /dev/zero
bash-3.2$ whoami
spot
:D

greengeek

#13 Post by greengeek »

Tyson wrote:Slacko 5.3 works "straight out of the box" on my laptop, although x would come up with its xorgwizard to confirm 1680x1050x16 resolution. 32bit colours not available with Slacko?
The "16" does not mean the number of colours. It is my understanding that it represents the number of "planes" in your LCD screen.

It defaults to 16 because that works well for most LCD displays, and is also faster if you are using accelerated graphics.

Xorg will normally also show a choice of "24" and you should be able to scroll down and select it if you want to. Most newer LCD displays are 24 planes.

I am sorry that I do not know how to finetune 5.3.3 to work on your laptop, but all I can suggest is perhaps try a different method of install - maybe use a CDR instead of DVD-RAM? I have seen so many strange faults with compatibility between media and bios, so now I try many different things and often find the problem is caused by something different to what I expect. Good Luck.

Also, Slacko 5.3 is very good - is there a feature in 5.3.3 that you need? And also, did you compare the md5 of your dvd-ram? A bad burn can cause a single minor error that shows in strange ways.

Tyson

#14 Post by Tyson »

[b]Karl Godt[/b] wrote: People that always need the newest seems to have difficulties with their ego .
Without hard feelings, we would still use carriages for travel instead of e.g. airplanes, if that would be true.
New distros are also made to increase stability or security, aren't they.
I might not be very experienced with Linux, but in the seventies have been working with Cobol, Assembler, PL1 on IBMs, Siemenses, and Bulls. If people in those days proudly would have considered those monsters as sufficient you still would be carrying around your programms in "shoe-boxes" in the form of punched cards and would measure the RAM of your machine in KBs.
Me thinks, I have been treating you with respect and do not understand a comment like yours. May be you had a bad day.........

@greengeek

Sorry for the late reaction to your help, I'd been rather busied lately. Thanks for minding my problem, of course did I try a CD, therafter a USB pendrive and yes, MD5 checked OK. That is why the system booted perfectly on the Dell.

I did some reading and discovered that version 5.3.3 in fact does require a more recent hardware - my Travelmate beeing 5 years old - and 5.3 is serving more elderly hardware.
Will install and change software on my Slacko 5.3 now.
With my best regards.

rjbrewer

#15 Post by rjbrewer »

Tyson wrote:
I did some reading and discovered that version 5.3.3 in fact does require a more recent hardware - my Travelmate beeing 5 years old - and 5.3 is serving more elderly hardware.
Will install and change software on my Slacko 5.3 now.
With my best regards.
Actually; it will run on some 8 to 10 yr old hardware I've tried.
Depends on graphics (even 5.3 is missing needed drivers
in some cases).

Inspiron 700m, Pent.M 1.6Ghz, 1Gb ram.
Msi Wind U100, N270 1.6>2.0Ghz, 1.5Gb ram.
Eeepc 8g 701, 900Mhz, 1Gb ram.
Full installs