How to add add-ons to SeaMonkey/Firefox browsers?

Requests go here. If you fill a request, give it a new thread in the appropriate category and then link to it in the request thread.
B.K. Johnson

#1 Post by B.K. Johnson »

How add add-ons to SeaMonkey/Firefox browsers
A SeaMonkey/Firefox add-on I use in Windows is MAFF. What it does is save a web page as a single file, <firefox_saveas_name>.MAFF instead of the standard <firefox_saveas_name>.html and <firefox_saveas_name>_files pair.

In Windows one can choose to either (1) install the add-on from the mozilla or author's website, or (2) download the xpi file and install it offline. I can't do either with any puppy implementation of these browsers. Xarchive can open the xpi file because it has a zip wrapper, but then what can I do with what's inside? How can it be patched into the browser Pets? I saw in the Wary/Quirky repository where Barry created some pets of add-ons.

Although my question specify these 2 programs, general comments would be welcomed.

B.K. Johnson

MAFF is not compatible with Seamonkey 2.2.

DaveS

#2 Post by DaveS »

OK... I assume you have downloaded MAFF and it is compatible with Linux, and you want to add it ti Firefox? In Firefox, load the add-ons manager via the tools menu item, select the extensions tab, and drag and drop you file on to it.
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

Dewbie

#3 Post by Dewbie »

For Flashblock ( 1.3.17 ), I just launch SeaMonkey ( 1.1.11, 1.1.18 ) and drag the unopened .xpi file to it.
Then it pretty much auto-installs.
Last edited by Dewbie on Thu 18 Aug 2011, 19:26, edited 2 times in total.

B.K. Johnson

#4 Post by B.K. Johnson »

@DaveS
@Dewbie
Thanks for you responses. As suggested, I tried dragging xpi files (MAF, Aardark-3.0, DownloadYouTube) to the add-ons window of Firefox 5.01/Luci-268 but none worked; didn't even get an error message. But I later found a button in the add-ons window which brought up a menu that I could select a file through ROX. see attachment

None were installable as they were all incompatible with Firefox 5.01. As soon as I find and download a compatible xpi I should be OK.
Attachments
button_for_loading_xpi_found.png
(12.76 KiB) Downloaded 803 times

`f00

#5 Post by `f00 »

Hi B.K.

general comment - if you're not entirely locked into gecko browsers for saving pages as single files, you might consider opera which can save to the .mht format (web archive) natively and has been doing so for quite awhile now. Oddly enough, that's what msie uses as well (but still it's no reason to slight a nice browser alternative, it might even be considered a feature if you use msie offline in win for viewing saved pages on occasion - just to see how they render for the masses, y'know ;) ).

yep, add-on compatibility can be a pitb (especially with older SeaMonkeys) across various versions.. with any luck you should find such a useful add-on that'll work in your geckoes.

B.K. Johnson

#6 Post by B.K. Johnson »

`f00
Thanks for your response and apologies for mine being so late.

I try to not to be locked in to any kind of software, including browsers. Never used Opera. Use Firefox often, But my preferred one for a couple years is SeaMonkey because of 2 features:
1. Composer allows me to cut from a webpage and paste into it, creating a HTML file which I can edit later if I wish.
2. I can create a directory from within the browser and it is automatically opened to accept the webpage or download I wish to save. The Windows version does not open the new directory automatically, but you can do so manually before saving.

B.K.