Suspending my hp/Compaq laptop

Using applications, configuring, problems
heywoodj

Suspending my hp/Compaq laptop

#1 Post by heywoodj »

I'm trying to make my hp/Compaq laptop suspend to RAM upon closing the lid. This is a nx6125 (1.6GHz AMD, 1.4 GB RAM, 40 GB HDD) running LuPu 5.20 in a full install.

After seeing this: http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=59336 I tried out what I could manage.

I have installed acpitool and acpid and all(?) the associated libraries and dependencies. I can invoke suspend to RAM from the commandline, using

Code: Select all

# acpitool -s
however closing the lid seems to just turn off the screen, without resuming upon reopening lid. I think all the other hardware is active (fan, HDD, etc.). I can get a quick flash of the screen by manually depressing the lid switch, but only a flash.

This is the same behavior before installing acpitool, etc., although there have been rare instances when the screen would resume after reopening the lid/releasing the switch. AFAIK, only the screen is turned off. everything else being left on.

I also cannot find suspend.sh to edit in 5.20, in /etc/acpi/actions or anywhere else for that matter, as suggested in the post. Is it not used in LuPu 5.20 while used in 5.10?

Any ideas?

Béèm
Location: Brussels IBM Thinkpad R40, 256MB, 20GB, WiFi ipw2100. Frugal Lin'N'Win

#2 Post by Béèm »

If you type acpitool -h in a console/terminal, isn't there a hibernation option?
Time savers:
Find packages in a snap and install using Puppy Package Manager (Menu).
[url=http://puppylinux.org/wikka/HomePage]Consult Wikka[/url]
Use peppyy's [url=http://wellminded.com/puppy/pupsearch.html]puppysearch[/url]

heywoodj

#3 Post by heywoodj »

Béèm wrote:If you type acpitool -h in a console/terminal, isn't there a hibernation option?
On my AcpiTool (v0.5), the only relevant options are

#acpitool -s
and

#acpitool -S
The -s suspends to memory (sleep state S3).
The -S suspends to disk (sleep state S4)

Most of the other options control LCD brightness, show battery status, fan status, temperature info, and so on.

There is no hibernate option that I know of.

My most pressing concern is finding a way to disable the lid switch, or finding a way to resume the screen after (accidental) lid closing.

Right now, I try to navigate to "shutdown" without being able to see the screen. This is not a good solution, only marginally better than pushing the power switch.

What next?

nooby

#4 Post by nooby »

Didn't Jemimah try to sort out the Sleep and Hibernate thing for Laptops?
Pemasu recognized that effort also and included it in Snow Puppy and all the other variations him try out.

I know too little but look into what them have done. Maybe solution can be found among their efforts?
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though

heywoodj

#5 Post by heywoodj »

heywoodj wrote:
The -s suspends to memory (sleep state S3).
The -S suspends to disk (sleep state S4)

There is no hibernate option that I know of.

Oops! My bad :oops: . Suspend to disk IS hibernate!

I did read that hibernate is not enabled in the Lucid kernel. So, for now I wiped LuPu 5.20 and full installed 4.2.1. The screen resumes immediately on opening the lid, but does not suspend, AFAIK. I'll have to install acpitool, etc.

I have read that Fluppy, Snow Puppy and Ice Puppy have suspend enabled. I'll have to try them, next time I can get near a broadband connection.

Thanks for you inputs.

heywoodj

#6 Post by heywoodj »

Okay, I've tried out some other options and here is what I've found so far:
1. 4.2.1 doesn't connect wirelessly. I'm not so inclined to sort this out.
2. 4.3.1 DOES connect wirelessly, and the screen resumes upon opening the lid, but the WM feels "clunky".
3. Fluppy looks good, connects wirelessly, has a nice feel,BUT the screen does NOT resume upon opening the lid.
4. I've downloaded but have not yet tried SnowPuppy.

Based on what I've seen so far, I'm most inclined to put effort into sorting out Fluppy.

But that too, is subject to change.