#1 Post by Norm678 »

Trying to get this Belkin USB adapter to work with Lucid Puppy 5.2.6
I tried the Ralink 2870 with no success and also the Windows inf file
under ndiswrapper and I get a invalid driver message. Any ideas on how to
get this USB Adapter to work? Thanks!

5littlejoe5

Belkin USB wifi adapter

#2 Post by 5littlejoe5 »

I just today plugged in a belkin USB wifi adapter (I'm not sure it's the same number as yours). But I was very inpressed with the ease with which Wary puppy handled it. If you done thsi procedure and it didn't get you set up and working, then just ignore this.

After you have booted up ion Wary puppy: at the bottom of that big triangle of is one called "connect." when you click on it, you see a "network connection wizard". It's actually two wizards. The first one is very simple. That's the one I chose. Right away it indicated that there were two possible connections to the internet: one wired, and the other wifi, and gave me the choice which I wanted to set up. I chose the wifi (wlan0). The wizard very quickly rturned me the message that it had found the connection active. I went on to put in the WAP password, and was on the internet in no time.

I know that not every set up is that easy, but if you have been trying to get theire some other way and haven't tried that simple little wizard, I'd say give it a try.

Norm678

#3 Post by Norm678 »

Thanks 5littlejoe5,

that's the problem, the adapter is not be found or seen by Puppy. I
have tried the Wizard and even tried loading the driver but there is no
USB adapter shown in the wizard.

tempestuous

#4 Post by tempestuous »

You need the Ralink rt3572sta driver.
It's available for Puppy 5.1/5.2.x here -
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 085#481085

Norm678

#5 Post by Norm678 »

Thanks tempestuous,

I'll give it a try and report back with my results.

Have a good one! :)

Norm678

#6 Post by Norm678 »

Well I got the driver installed and it shows up in the network wizard now.
The problem now is when I try to scan for wireless networks it tells me there are no networks available. Any ideas what to try now? Thanks!

tempestuous

#7 Post by tempestuous »

i) First we should check that the rt3572sta driver is doing its job properly, by running the "dmesg" command. Since this will generate a lot of output, here's how to post the results to the forum - please plug in your wifi device, then run these commands:

Code: Select all

cd /root
dmesg > dmesg.txt
gzip dmesg.txt
Now you will have a file in /root called "dmesg.txt.gz" which you can attach to the forum.

ii) I see that you're using Lucid Puppy 5.2.6, and there have been various reports of broken network configuration in Lucid Puppy after 5.2.5. So the fix (although messy) may be to use manual wifi configuration commands, following the HOWTO here -
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=22469

iii) sometimes the scanning function fails, even though the wifi driver is otherwise working fine.
But if you already know the name of the wifi access point that you want to connect to (and its password) then there's no need to scan at all.
Just go ahead and enter the correct SSID, encryption-type, and password for your wifi connection.

Norm678

#8 Post by Norm678 »

Here is the dmesg.txt.gz file that was generated. If you could take a look I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks!

PS Just to see if I could get it to work I downloaded the latest Lucid 5.2.8 and am getting the same results. I also tried Wary 5.1.3 and the rt3572sta driver won't even load for whatever reason. I haven't tried the manual configuration yet but will try that soon.
Attachments
dmesg.txt.gz
(6.93 KiB) Downloaded 406 times

tempestuous

#9 Post by tempestuous »

I don't see anything particularly bad in your dmesg results.
I suspect that the rt3572sta driver may simply not be playing well with your device, so at this point I really need to know your USB device ID. Please plug in the device, wait a couple of seconds, then run this command -

Code: Select all

cat /proc/bus/usb/devices
then report the "Vendor" and "ProdID" values you see listed for the wifi device.

Norm678

#10 Post by Norm678 »

Here is the info after running the cat /proc/bus/usb/devices command.

Vendor=050d
ProdID=935a
Rev=1.01

Thanks!

tempestuous

#11 Post by tempestuous »

Some Googling reveals that your device ID has been added to the standard rt2870sta driver in more recent kernel versions.
So I could probably hack the rt2870sta driver already in Lucid 5.2.8, but a more straightforward solution would be for you to use the luci-529 "Three-Headed Dog" derivative, which has a more modern kernel, and the rt2870sta driver should pick up your device straight away. Get luci-529 here -
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=70736

Norm678

#12 Post by Norm678 »

tempestuous,

I downloaded Three Headed Dog(5.2.9) and got it up and running.
rt2870sta driver picked up the adapter right away. But now I'm getting a error. Here is what the error is reporting.

Error:

Failed to raise wlan0
Failed command was: ifconfig wlan0 up
Error returned was: ifconfig SIOCSIFFLAGS: Operation Not Permitted

Any ideas?

Thanks!

tempestuous

#13 Post by tempestuous »

There's a complex overlap of Ralink USB wifi drivers, and it seems that some devices fall between the cracks.

Forget about luci-529 and go back to 5.2.5 or 5.2.8, and I have just patched the older rt3070sta driver with your device ID.
I don't want to post this experimental driver because it will cause endless newbie-confusion. So I have sent you a PM with the link.

Plug in your wifi device only after you have installed the new driver.

Let me know how it goes.

Norm678

#14 Post by Norm678 »

tempestuous,

Thank you, Thank you, Thank you, That did the trick. Hurray! I'm online with Puppy. Thank you so much for all the time you spent trying to figure this out for me. I appreciate it very much. Keep up the good work. Have a great one!!

Norm678

tempestuous

#15 Post by tempestuous »

The Belkin F6D4050 v1 USB wifi device is now confirmed working with a patched version of the Ralink rt3070sta driver,
available for Puppy 5.1 - 5.2.8 here:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 360#513360

rastalo

#16 Post by rastalo »

Just installed a Belkin F5D5231-4 Router to replace my Linksys BEFSR41 and Firefox will not correctly display the Web GUI, but it works just fine with IE.