PeasyPDF Convert/Join/Extract/Print

Word processors, spreadsheets, presentations, translation, etc.
rcrsn51

#91 Post by rcrsn51 »

jplt_bis wrote:So wonderful , it works very well.
Excellent.
Maybe update the first post to add this little tricks
Good idea.
Another fact that i tested 2 other tools to join pdfs in linux pdfunite , gs (ghostscript), pdftk but all fails because "merge failed your pdf is encrypted" !
That may occur because your PDFs are a newer version and the tool doesn't recognize them. However PeasyPDF uses Ghostscript to join PDFs.

What Puppy version are you using and which version of PeasyPDF?

jplt_bis

#92 Post by jplt_bis »

I'am on tahrpup 6.0.5 and peasypdf 3.3

Puppyt

#93 Post by Puppyt »

rcrsn51 wrote:In the Join section, click New and View. This opens the project window.

Drag links from your 20 PDFs into this window.

Click Join.
oooooh great tip! Will definitely be using that in future - with dragging 10+ single successive files across into the 'join' dialogue I often think I've lost my place, or position in the queue. Cheers rcrsn51 :)
Search engines for Puppy
[url]http://puppylinux.us/psearch.html[/url]; [url=https://cse.google.com/cse?cx=015995643981050743583%3Aabvzbibgzxo&q=#gsc.tab=0]Google Custom Search[/url]; [url]http://wellminded.net63.net/[/url] others TBA...

rcrsn51

#94 Post by rcrsn51 »

The advantage of adding files one-by-one is that you get a specific order. In a PDF document, that might be important.

If you just drag a bunch of files into the project folder, they will be joined in their alphabetical filename order.

oldprinter

#95 Post by oldprinter »

I've been using the 'Join' feature for awhile now.
I produce a pdf with individual pages (in OpenOffice), drop that pdf into Bookbinder 3, which creates pdf's of the signatures, then I use Join to assemble a single pdf of the project as sigs of the printer's pairs. Then I have just one file to print out for the project. Projects average 240 pages and 8 sigs. I add tic marks to keep the sigs easily indentified (and in correct order for binding).

I prefer to drop in sig pdfs one at a time, not batch drop, so if there is an error, it's mine. (Checklists are very helpful)

Tom

greengeek

#96 Post by greengeek »

When I scan a document and save as pdf I end up with a larger file than I want. Then I use peasypdf to shrink it by creating a blank page and combining it with the scanned doc pdf.

Somehow peasypdf creates a smaller output file than the original - despite it having an extra page. (No visible loss of quality as far as I can tell)

I am wondering if there are other methods allowing peasypdf to shrink an input pdf?

Are there ways to have a "variable shrink" such that an input pdf that is 2MB in size could be shrunk to sizes like 1MB, 500KB, and 250KB etc depending on the needs of the user?

rcrsn51

#97 Post by rcrsn51 »

What scanning tool are you using?

If it's PeasyScan, there may be ways to generate a smaller PDF.

charlie6

#98 Post by charlie6 »

Hi,
Also regularly need to shrink huge pdf :?

here using the following command line in a terminal opened in the directory having the file to shrink «myfile2shrink.pdf» in it:
# gs -sDEVICE=pdfwrite -dCompatibilityLevel=1.4 -dPDFSETTINGS=/screen -dNOPAUSE -dQUIET -dBATCH -sOutputFile=/path/to/mydir/myfile_shrinked.pdf myfile2shrink.pdf
As examples: using those settings,
- just went to shrink a 299K - black and white - 5 pages document to 173K; duration ca. 2 sec.; so it works for multipages.
- and shrinked a 2,5MB architects drawings to ca. 122K. (see resolution comparison in attached screenshots)

I did not yet have dug in it to control the shrink percentage :oops: .
It does not work that good to shrink pictures - just get a try for check.

HTH
Charlie
Attachments
before_after_shrink1.png
Left: 2,5MB file / Right: shrinked 122K
(138.78 KiB) Downloaded 633 times

greengeek

#99 Post by greengeek »

rcrsn51 wrote:What scanning tool are you using?
So far I have just been using the standard xsane that comes with Slacko 5.6

Typically I am scanning colour or greyscale at 200 or 300 dpi (invoices or technical documents containing mix of graphics and text) and each page is often 500KB - 2MB until I run it through peasypdf.

rcrsn51

#100 Post by rcrsn51 »

In Xsane, how are you saving the image - as a PDF? or as a graphic?

Do you have the latest version of PeasyPDF?

In Xsane, save the image as a JPEG, then use PeasyPDF to convert it to a PDF. There are several tools for this.

greengeek

#101 Post by greengeek »

rcrsn51 wrote:In Xsane, how are you saving the image - as a PDF? or as a graphic?
i have been saving as pdf in the belief that jpeg introduces artefacts.
Do you have the latest version of PeasyPDF?
No not yet. Will try.
n Xsane, save the image as a JPEG, then use PeasyPDF to convert it to a PDF. There are several tools for this.
Ok will do some testing. Am away frim home for a couole of days on Android only at the moment. Thanks

rcrsn51

#102 Post by rcrsn51 »

greengeek wrote:i have been saving as pdf in the belief that jpeg introduces artefacts.
Then save it as a PNG or TIFF.

greengeek

#103 Post by greengeek »

rcrsn51 wrote:In Xsane, save the image as a JPEG, then use PeasyPDF to convert it to a PDF. There are several tools for this.
I ran some tests to compare different pdf creation/compression methods.

The sample document I used was an A5 size colour invoice and I scanned it using xsane set for 200dpi and 24Bit color.

Here are the results:

xsane original saved direct as jpg: 266 kB
xsane original saved direct as png: 2277 kB
xsane original saved direct as pdf: 2048 kB

Original xsane pdf scan combined with blank page using Peasypdf: 161 kB (my usual technique)

Original png scan converted to pdf using Peasypdf: 160 kB
Original jpg scan converted to pdf using Peasypdf: 152 kB

The quality of the output created from the jpg scan surprised me. I did not see any of the significant quality degradation visible in Charlies example above.

Your suggested method of using Peasypdf to convert a jpg or png created by xsane is much quicker than my previous method so thank you very much for making me aware of that function.

(I am using Peasypdf 3.2 as that is what is grafted into my Slacko 5.6 derivative main sfs. Seems to do everything I need at the moment)
Attachments
OrigTestScanToJPG_shrunkforforum.jpg
(103.66 KiB) Downloaded 606 times

davids45

Landscape - save a portrait pdf after rotation?

#104 Post by davids45 »

G'day rcrsn51,

I'm scanning a number of A4 double-sided coloured recipe pages to make an archive on my computer. These recipe pages were printed in Landscape orientation.

I'm scanning each side with the epkowa iscan pet on my Epson-WT2510 multifunction inkjet over my home network. I also tried Peasyscan-2.8 but still have the same problem.
Upup Bionic alpha+2 (frugal) has been used so far but I could try other Pups if that would help.

Each side is scanned and saved as a pdf. I then join these two pdfs into one pdf with PeasyPDF Convert/...etc-4.2.

This conveniently and efficiently makes the desired pdf of the recipe, ...... except, 'somewhere along the line' I'd like it to be saved and displayed as Landscape without having to rotate it each time in the pdf viewer (eg in Evince).

My desktop has a Landscape oriented monitor as does our laptop (should I risk it in very compact Out house) so Landscape will be better for viewing (and using) the resulting joined pdf.

Earlier in this thread, I read a couple of others asking if there is a way to rotate&save a pdf - but could not find any mention of either an option in any Peasy package, or in other common package Puppy has that involves pdfs.
'Preferences' or 'Tools' in these packages don't seem to offer a rotate-then-save; they rotate only temporarily in 'Edit' - 'Save' or 'Save a copy' after rotating gave me the same Portrait file.

Apologies if I have once again missed the obvious solution/reply, but can this Save-as-Landscape be done at any stage of my process (scan, join, view)?

Thanks for your assistance,

David S.

rcrsn51

#105 Post by rcrsn51 »

1. Save the scans as JPEGs.
2. Run PeasyScale and rotate them to the desired orientation.
3. Run PeasyPDF and build a PDF. There are several tools for this.

davids45

Making a landscape pdf

#106 Post by davids45 »

G'day rcrsn51,

Thanks for the reply to my query.

I'll try a few recipe scans and see how the conversions look.

I expect, to hold good definition in case of the need to print-on-paper as well as for the pdf itself, the jpg should be of highish resolution.
Which is OK as I should treat the jpg as a temp file to be deleted once the pdf is as desired.

Will report any problems.

David S.

rcrsn51

#107 Post by rcrsn51 »

Any updates?

davids45

Landscape pdf via scanned jpg [SOLVED]

#108 Post by davids45 »

G'day rcrsn51,

I've done one test which worked as you suggested (scanned as hi-res jpg, rotated, then pdf-ed to give landscape pdf in default pdf viewer).

I'm on cooking duty today :roll: so will try scanning some more recipes to better confirm the process, and will update, provided no one gets poisoned :shock: .

Thanks for your help.

David S.

Addendum 1:
Just scanned six recipe double-sided pages into pairs of jpg files, which I rotated with Peasy JPG resizer (scaled 100%, rotated + or - 90 degrees to get correct orientation) (examples as screenshots).
Then with PeasyPDFconverter converted each PEASYSCALE jpg to pdf and finally joined these pairs of pdfs into single pdfs (screenshot shows multiple windows open while doing the transformations which went very quickly).
Cannot post a finished pdf example as Forum won't accept pdf format - but all open in landscape in the default pdf viewer.

Addendum2: But I can post a screenshot (it's now the first screenshot) of the landscape-multipage recipe pdf in a Pup pdf viewer (example in BionicAlpha+6)
Attachments
landscape-pdf-in-viewer.jpg
(83.43 KiB) Downloaded 762 times
ThaiCoconutPumpkinCurry01.jpg
Recipe jpg example - the 'for show' side
(126.99 KiB) Downloaded 791 times
ThaiCoconutPumpkinCurry02.jpg
The nitty-gritty side
(145.45 KiB) Downloaded 764 times
MultipleWindowsDuringPDFing.jpg
Just had to keep track of which window to drag which file to and clear the right box line
(119.29 KiB) Downloaded 771 times

Saladin

#109 Post by Saladin »

PeasyPDF isn't working for me. When I try to extract PDFs into images, no images actually appear. When I try to extract into PDFs, the PDFs are just blank pages. What's causing this?

rcrsn51

#110 Post by rcrsn51 »

Identify your Puppy version.