Three-Headed Dog 5.2.8.005 Updated APR 25 2012

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
sszindian

HDMI & TV

#406 Post by sszindian »

sage wrote:
The (DOS BIOS) boot screen shows, the Puppy boot screen shows, but the booting commands give 'Mode Unsupported'. Not a problem until trying to change the res. with CRL-ALT-BKSPCE ! Not able to do the xorgwizard/etc. blind. Tried a coupe of cheat codes unsuccessfully - anything else to try? Ta.

I found that get proper video resolution you 'CAN NOT' have the TV plugged in when you start Puppy... 'any Puppy!'

I corrected the problem by loading Puppy 'First' then plugging in the TV, that cured it for me about 90%.

Now, that is using a desktop, if you use a laptop or notebook, there are a few .pet programs, (I believe in utilities, multimedia etc., section, not sure exactly where I saw them it's been awhile) that allow you to setup TWO different resolutions at the same time. Mind you, that's laptop, notebook ONLY.

Hope that helps!

>>>---Indian------>
Cloud Computing For Every Puppy (a .pet)
[url]http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=69192[/url]

Sage

#407 Post by Sage »

'CAN NOT' have the TV plugged in when you start Puppy... 'any Puppy!'
Wow! That is an amazing revelation. If correct there's a very serious shortcoming in either the TV, the video card or PC SW, FW & HW. It also conflicts with my observations that when it works - it works, but I wouldn't be here if that was a constant!
Notwithstanding, it's usually possible to use the remote to switch into HDMI from TV/w.h.y. which essentially is the same as not having HDMI ON at boot up.
It will be most interesting to hear what the industry and SW gurus have to say about all this.

Sylvander

#408 Post by Sylvander »

1. Using Luci-001.003.iso
With isolinux.cfg in the ISO file altered to include pmedia=ataflash...
And booted using "live" CD-RW, and lucisave.3fs+SFS filepair held [in a folder in the root folder] on ext3 partition on internal HDD.

PROBLEM
2. Videos at Youtube won't play. :(
(a) Used flash_install-0.1.pet to install the latest flashplayer [version doesn't show in PPM!]

3. I have ghostery installed, and ALL listed elements blocked.
Disabling ghostery, apparently has no beneficial effect.

4. Any idea how to fix?

Terryphi

#409 Post by Terryphi »

Sylvander wrote:1. Using Luci-001.003.iso
With isolinux.cfg in the ISO file altered to include pmedia=ataflash...
And booted using "live" CD-RW, and lucisave.3fs+SFS filepair held [in a folder in the root folder] on ext3 partition on internal HDD.

PROBLEM
2. Videos at Youtube won't play. :(
(a) Used flash_install-0.1.pet to install the latest flashplayer [version doesn't show in PPM!]

3. I have ghostery installed, and ALL listed elements blocked.
Disabling ghostery, apparently has no beneficial effect.

4. Any idea how to fix?
If Flashplayer does not work you can try the pet of version 10.3.183.18 which is security patched and intended for older hardware which will not run the latest version 11.2.202.228. Details in this thread:

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=77256

AS well as the the download link to my site in the thread, you can also get it from the Ibiblio repository or mirrors because Barry has uploaded it to .../quirky/pet_packages-common/ .
[b]Classic Opera 12.16 browser SFS package[/b] for Precise, Slacko, Racy, Wary, Lucid, etc available[url=http://terryphillips.org.uk/operasfs.htm]here[/url] :)

Sylvander

#410 Post by Sylvander »

@Terryphi
1. It's not a problem with the hardware...Youtube videos play in all 6 of my other Puppies.
However...

(a) I uninstalled "flashplayer" by clicking on it in the PPM.
It remained listed in the PPM. :?
Then clicked the "Save" icon [1st save of the session] to save that uninstall.
Then...
(b) Installed your "flash-player-10.3.183.18.pet"...
It was shown installed beside "flashplayer" in the PPM.
Then clicked the "Save" icon [2nd save of the session] to save that install.
(c) Tried to run a video at Youtube, but still no-go! :(

Terryphi

#411 Post by Terryphi »

OK. One more idea:

Have you checked your FlashPlayer settings to see that local storage is allowed? Some sites will not work if you do not allow local storage. Maybe YouTube is one of them. YouTube saves data locally and an entry appears for domain s.ytimg.com .

LATER: No, that is not the answer. YouTube works for me even if local storage is blocked.
[b]Classic Opera 12.16 browser SFS package[/b] for Precise, Slacko, Racy, Wary, Lucid, etc available[url=http://terryphillips.org.uk/operasfs.htm]here[/url] :)

aarf

#412 Post by aarf »

Sylvander wrote:@Terryphi
1. It's not a problem with the hardware...Youtube videos play in all 6 of my other Puppies.
However...

(a) I uninstalled "flashplayer" by clicking on it in the PPM.
It remained listed in the PPM. :?
Then clicked the "Save" icon [1st save of the session] to save that uninstall.
Then...
(b) Installed your "flash-player-10.3.183.18.pet"...
It was shown installed beside "flashplayer" in the PPM.
Then clicked the "Save" icon [2nd save of the session] to save that install.
(c) Tried to run a video at Youtube, but still no-go! :(
just a wild stab in the dark perhaps something there will suit: http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 386#618386

playdayz

#413 Post by playdayz »

Videos at Youtube won't play.
Sylvander, Did you say what browser? Could you try Google Chrome 18 which has its own flashplayer? I just tested in 3HD.003 with Google Chrome 17 and the youtube videos played.http://diddywahdiddy.net/Puppy500/Googl ... -Lucid.pet

Sylvander

#414 Post by Sylvander »

1. My Firefox browser is version 11.0

2. Just now installed Google_Chrome-17-Lucid.pet [filename copied and pasted] and that plays Youtube videos just fine. :D
Your link says it's 18, but the file says it's 17.
Now when I click on the "Browse" icon on the desktop Chrome opens instead of Firefox.
Not sure whether I like that.
Never used Chrome before.
It seems faster than Firefox. :)

playdayz

#415 Post by playdayz »

Your link says it's 18, but the file says it's 17.

That's fixed now, but you would have to click the wrench in the upper right, then Settings, Under the Hood, Clear Browsing Data, to download the new one if you are using Google Chrome. Yes, most tests say Chrome is faster than Firefox.

Could you uninstall your Firefox and install this one and see if that changes anything.
http://diddywahdiddy.net/Puppy500/Firef ... ucid-2.pet

You said you used the Install Flashplayer menu item to install the latest flashplayer, right?

Sylvander

#416 Post by Sylvander »

SUCCESS! :D
Presently...

1. Firefox version 11.0 installed, and set as default, and opening when I click the "Browse" icon on desktop.
Google-Chrome-18 also installed.

2. Youtube videos now playing OK in both Firefox and Google-Chrome.
All working well and looking good.

oui

#417 Post by oui »

Hi
I did install the French version from Petihar to make possible that my very old people in France can use Puppy with my help by telephone :idea: but I am not able to use it myself on my desk computer :cry: . it is the only one version of puppy under about 10 different versions I have on this hard disk making this problem:

the first «first start» happens without problem

I let search my equipment in commando line

it proposes my a low resolution and I commute to my real high resolution 1920 x 1080 pixel.

X starts and I can work a long time so.

at the next start (with or without save file) black window and message «digital power saving mode» on the screen. nothing to do to better it or commute to an other char mode console to end without hard ware reset. only hard ware reset possible.

my PC:

High-resolution monitor 1980 x 1080 pixel connected with the high resolution plug in

DELL Optiplex SX 270 with high resolution connector and following internal equipment:
Intel Celeron 2,2 Ghz,
643048 kB Ram
Intel chips set 82865G/82801/82540

I did try with and without file zl001376.sfs, no difference.

oui

#418 Post by oui »

Hi
It is now certain: the warm restart is not possible or very difficult! I have to turn off the PC completely and it is dangerous for the file if I forget: very long bad nodes message by start. It is not operable so...

PS: pls if a solution is known, inform the forum user «petihar» what his has to do concerning his French puplet!

DC

#419 Post by DC »

Hi

Happy to report that NFS works, the same as the 528 series.

Whilst browsing Barry's blog I came across this passage.
Lucid Puppy 528 -005 released
1. Built from an old version of Woof, so is missing many of the fixes and improvements that I have announced on my blog over the last couple of years -- though Lucid has been going on an independent parallel path with it's own development, so there will be many Woof-level improvements since the original fork from the official Woof (plus some ported from the official Woof). So, this is not necessarily a reason against.
Did you use the same version of Woof to build Three-Headed Dog? If so where can I download your version of Woof?

thanks

DC
a little bit of knowledge and I'm dangerous

Sylvander

#420 Post by Sylvander »

Hmmm...
1. Yet again...
Firefox-11.0 is not playing videos at Youtube! :(
Flashplayer fails the test at this page.
Google-Chrome passes the test.

2. Tried disabling all the Firefox add-ons, and restarting Firefox, but that didn't fix it.

3. Any ideas what might be causing this, and how to fix it so the fix is permanent?

aarf

#421 Post by aarf »

Sylvander wrote:Hmmm...
1. Yet again...
Firefox-11.0 is not playing videos at Youtube! :(
Flashplayer fails the test at this page.
Google-Chrome passes the test.

2. Tried disabling all the Firefox add-ons, and restarting Firefox, but that didn't fix it.

3. Any ideas what might be causing this, and how to fix it so the fix is permanent?
test is ok in lupu528.005 with opera11.62 with the new todayish flashplayer. try an upgrade.

Sylvander

#422 Post by Sylvander »

1. Using PPM...
Tried to uninstall the 2 listed instances of "flashplayer"...
Each were reported as having been uninstalled, and yet they both remained listed in PPM.

2. Installed the "flash-player-11.2.202.233.pet", and that became listed in PPM.
But...
The flashplayer test was still being failed by Firefox.
And Youtube videos still won't play.

Smithy

#423 Post by Smithy »

Not sure where to ask on the forum, but thought the THD thread might be the best bet.

Is there a battery meter pet that would work on the taskbar, (and with THD)?

The cpu scaling stuff seems to be doing its thing well, just kicking in when it needs to. I think it might be more efficient than the XP power saving that it (atom netbook) came with.

tanks.

ozsouth

Vattery

#424 Post by ozsouth »

@ Smithy

I added Vattery to my 3HD versions - is good.

don570

#425 Post by don570 »

I made changes to Zigbert's pmirror and released it as
Puppy Backup

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 168#621168