Puppeteer

#91 Post by Puppeteer »

tempestuous wrote: I can fix that, if you please run this command -

Code: Select all

readlink /sys/class/net/wlan0/device/driver
The result will be in the form of

../../../bus/pci/drivers/xxx
but it's just the driver-name at the end that I need.
Hi Tempestuous,

I ran the following:

readlink /sys/class/net/wlan1/device/driver
...as the USB dongle is wlan1 on my set-up (I blacklisted wlan0 which was using the ather5k driver).

...and the output was:

../../../../../bus/usb/drivers/usb
Hope that was what you wanted...

playdayz

#92 Post by playdayz »

tempestuous (or someone else), Could you briefly explain how firmware works. I thought it was included in the kernel--at least in the kernel pet in /lib/modules/all-firmware. In Lucid 5.2.8 rerwin provided some replacement firmware tar balls.
But there is also /lib/firmware that does not seem to be included in the kernel pet.

The bottom line question I guess is what needs to be done to make sure we have the most recent and correct firmware?

vanchutr

#93 Post by vanchutr »

Can't boot three-head lucid 5,2,9 from USB (without HarDDisk).
Same bugs (errors) in poparpup 003, midnightsun 003 and some others.
How to fix this? (Boot from USB flash without hdd - I'd read... the patch for this in Barry Blogs but I did'nt understood how to fix this errors. 01Micko had fixed (successful) this error in his slacko 3.12.37 beta

pemasu

#94 Post by pemasu »

vanchutr. Latest woof platforms should have addressed the boot problem without harddisk. I will upload today Polarpup-004 which is made with 18.8. woof.

Easiest way to fix it yourself, is to build puppy using latest woof. You can build Puppy of your flavor. There are many choices.

tempestuous

#95 Post by tempestuous »

Puppeteer wrote:...and the output was:

../../../../../bus/usb/drivers/usb
Ah, the ath9k_htc driver is reporting itself as "usb", which is what recent USB Ralink wifi drivers do, too.
OK here's a hotfix for the Network Wizard.

I have also updated the ath9k_htc-firmware package earlier in this thread, so I will remove the hotfix in a few days.
Attachments
ath9k_htc-network-hotfix.pet
(19.57 KiB) Downloaded 614 times

tempestuous

#96 Post by tempestuous »

playdayz wrote:Could you briefly explain how firmware works.
Firmware is required by many kernel modules, and several years back much of this firmware was compiled within individual kernel modules, so you never noticed it.
But at some point early in the Linux 2.6.x kernel Linus, himself, called on all driver developers to separate the firmware out into user space. Generally firmware is now located in /lib/firmware
Initially this firmware was loaded on-demand by the "hotplug" helper module, but this system was later overtaken by the udev mechanism, and that's what we currently use in Puppy.

When you compile any modern kernel and install it, you will see that a basic set of firmware is installed in /lib/firmware.
But this does not represent the entire range of firmware for all official kernel modules. For the entire range, you need to download this -
git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/dwmw2/linux-firmware.git

Some of this add-on firmware is non-GPL and thus cannot be redistributed, some is considered uncommon, some is only relevant to the latest cutting-edge kernels, and generally the collection is large. For those reasons the "add-on" firmware is not included with the kernel source.

Then there's firmware associated with third-party drivers - that's generally what we have in /lib/modules/all-firmware
This location was chosen by Barry for third-party firmware, it's certainly not a standard thing. You will notice that the firmware here is packaged as gzipped tarballs - again, this was Barry's way of doing things. I seem to recall that rerwin questioned the wisdom of this in modern Puppies. He is certainly correct that compressed firmware doesn't help with the size of the Puppy ISO, but I believe it does help when Puppy loads completely into RAM - because the third-party firmware remains compressed, apart from the small subset of this firmware that might be required by your individual hardware.

playdayz wrote:The bottom line question I guess is what needs to be done to make sure we have the most recent and correct firmware?
The firmware collection usually only needs to be updated when there's a move to a higher kernel - this was certainly the case recently with luci-529 when a new driver appeared - ath9k_htc.

And it's difficult to know what the situation with new drivers is until users report any problems with a new kernel.
But with Lucid 5.1 - 5.2.8 things are generally stable and the firmware is in good shape.

playdayz

#97 Post by playdayz »

Can't boot three-head lucid 5,2,9 from USB (without HarDDisk).
vanchutr, You are right. It is my fault. When I built three-headed dog I did not do what is necessary to enable booting with no drives attached. In my defense I thought the new kernel/initrd.gz *might* have taken care of that--but I was wrong. Lucid 5.2.8 will boot with no drives attached--but 3 headed dog will not.

We will do an updated 3 headed dog in a week or two that will boot with no drives.

playdayz

#98 Post by playdayz »

have you found a good way to reduce temperature?(attached)
aarf, In most Puppies the cpu-frequency scaling is activated automatically by default (with a generic driver). In Lucid and Three-Headed Dog that is not true. We thought it worked better if people could chooise the exact correct driver--also, I personally did not want something activated by default--because I might not want to use it.

Control -> Utility - CPU Frequency Scaling

aarf

#99 Post by aarf »

playdayz wrote:
have you found a good way to reduce temperature?(attached)
aarf, In most Puppies the cpu-frequency scaling is activated automatically by default (with a generic driver). In Lucid and Three-Headed Dog that is not true. We thought it worked better if people could chooise the exact correct driver--also, I personally did not want something activated by default--because I might not want to use it.

had a quick try but failed. for me, would prefer if i didnt have to know what this is about, and what driver to choose, and that it was auto done as before..

flac needs a file association. gnome player plays it.

playdayz

#100 Post by playdayz »

had a quick try but failed. for me, would prefer if i didnt have to know what this is about, and what driver to choose, and that it was auto done as before..
You might try using the default acpi-cpufreq driver. That is the one that was used automatically.

aarf

#101 Post by aarf »

@playdayz re cputemp. of course the default acpi-cpufreq driver is the first one i tried. when i click "apply", the window refreshes to be as it was before. nothing changes. but i have notice now cputemp in the task manager but temp is still zero in pwidgets. only of backgroud importance. the temperature judged by hand touch is low in comparison to usual puppy.
Attachments
cpu.jpg
(48.76 KiB) Downloaded 1076 times

playdayz

#102 Post by playdayz »

aarf, I tried what you said and got the same result. If I accept the default acpi-cpufreq driver then the screen refreshes but the same window is still there. This means it didn't work. I have to find my appropriate driver (which for me is the amd k8 driver) and then the window will accept the driver and go on in the process.

Concerning the temp--temp has never worked for me so I am grateful for any info about what might be missing. It works for some other people though.

I also got CPUtemp working, but it took quite a bit of fiddling and editing--none of the default settings gave me valid sensors--but the driver that sensors-detect indicated was the right one--I just had to modprobe it myself. All of this to find that my phenom is running right where I thought at 34C.
Last edited by playdayz on Fri 26 Aug 2011, 02:33, edited 1 time in total.

tasmod

#103 Post by tasmod »

Hmm been some time but I seem to recall that 'temp' in pwidgets needed lm sensors installing. Not really sure, I'll have to fire up the older PC and look.

EDIT:
Forget that.
It was one of my own pets for my own use. It was a temp gauge proper. It needed lm sensors installed.

Some memories there when I rebooted older PC with 421 and pwidget stuff.
Rob
-
The moment after you press "Post" is the moment you actually see the typso 8)

playdayz

#104 Post by playdayz »

Experimental

FFMPEG 0.7.1

The multimedia libraries from Ubuntu Oneiric. They will replace the current ones--and then can be uninstalled of course.

http://diddywahdiddy.net/Puppy500/ffmpeg-071.pet

Does anyone notice any differences or improvements? Mainly this will/could affect quality of video in gnome-mplayer.

It may also affect video quality to Edit -> Preferences -> Video Output -> xv.

aarf

#105 Post by aarf »

playdayz wrote:Experimental

FFMPEG 0.7.1

The multimedia libraries from Ubuntu Oneiric. They will replace the current ones--and then can be uninstalled of course.

http://diddywahdiddy.net/Puppy500/ffmpeg-071.pet

Does anyone notice any differences or improvements? Mainly this will/could affect quality of video in gnome-mplayer.

It may also affect video quality to Edit -> Preferences -> Video Output -> xv.
short test. positive improvement. less jerky for a file i got out of opera cache of a youtube flash

playdayz

#106 Post by playdayz »

***Experimental***

Mplayer with ffmpeg 0.8.2

This kind of just happened, but it seems interesting. To my eye the video quality is better. It is only a 4.7 MB pet. It is static with the ffmpeg multimedia libraries Incorporated into mplayer. The original libraries are still there for Pmusic, ffconvert, etc.

If you install the pet then gnome-mplayer will automatically use it .

http://diddywahdiddy.net/Puppy500/mplay ... static.pet

The previous experiment gave some problems with gnome-mplayer and dvd playback, and I didn't see an improvement in quality--but I see that aarf did. Thanks.

aarf

#107 Post by aarf »

installed this one as well. now mplayer wont play anything and something crashed X, needed to xwin for the first time. havent restarted.maybe that is what is needed.

aarf

#108 Post by aarf »

rebooted, tried gnome mpayer in console and this is the only error message from xerrs.log

** (roxterm:9797): WARNING **: Failed to connect to session manager: SESSION_MANAGER environment variable not defined
still cant play anything.

playdayz

#109 Post by playdayz »

So aarf, do you want to try one more. ;-)

http://diddywahdiddy.net/Puppy500/mplay ... -lucid.pet

some hard-working people make a new build of mplayer for Ubuntu versions twice a week. This is the latest for Lucid.

aarf, probably my stupid experiments have resulted in a file being deleted that is necessary. Please enter mplayer in a console and see what it says. I am sorry for the inconvenience.

LateAdopter, I just read the mplayer has supported threads since March. This version should do so.

These experiments might be better with pfix=ram.

aarf

#110 Post by aarf »

with ffmpeg-071.pet and mplayer-0.8.2-static.pet doesn't play

sh-4.1# mplayer '/mnt/sdb1/music cd revealed/Bach - Double Violin Concerto in D minor 2nd movement, Largo.tmp'
MPlayer SVN-r34012-snapshot-4.4.3 (C) 2000-2011 MPlayer Team
mplayer: could not connect to socket
mplayer: No such file or directory
Failed to open LIRC support. You will not be able to use your remote control.

Playing /mnt/sdb1/music cd revealed/Bach - Double Violin Concerto in D minor 2nd movement, Largo.tmp.
libavformat file format detected.

MPlayer interrupted by signal 4 in module: demux_open
- MPlayer crashed by an 'Illegal Instruction'.
  It usually happens when you run it on a CPU different than the one it was
  compiled/optimized for.
  Verify this!
- MPlayer crashed by bad usage of CPU/FPU/RAM.
  Recompile MPlayer with --enable-debug and make a 'gdb' backtrace and
  disassembly. Details in DOCS/HTML/en/bugreports_what.html#bugreports_crash.
- MPlayer crashed. This shouldn't happen.
  It can be a bug in the MPlayer code _or_ in your drivers _or_ in your
  gcc version. If you think it's MPlayer's fault, please read
  DOCS/HTML/en/bugreports.html and follow the instructions there. We can't and
  won't help unless you provide this information when reporting a possible bug.
sh-4.1# 
below with ffmpeg-071.pet and mplayer-svn34010-lucid.pet plays, (ctrl C to stop as code from terminal wont copy when playing.)

sh-4.1# mplayer '/mnt/sdb1/music cd revealed/Bach - Double Violin Concerto in D minor 2nd movement, Largo.tmp'
MPlayer SVN-r34010-4.4.3 (C) 2000-2011 MPlayer Team
mplayer: could not connect to socket
mplayer: No such file or directory
Failed to open LIRC support. You will not be able to use your remote control.

Playing /mnt/sdb1/music cd revealed/Bach - Double Violin Concerto in D minor 2nd movement, Largo.tmp.
libavformat file format detected.
[flv @ 0x88a4300]Estimating duration from bitrate, this may be inaccurate
[lavf] stream 0: video (h264), -vid 0
[lavf] stream 1: audio (aac), -aid 0
VIDEO:  [H264]  320x240  0bpp  30.000 fps   83.3 kbps (10.2 kbyte/s)
Clip info:
 duration: 450
 starttime: 0
 totalduration: 450
 width: 320
 height: 240
 videodatarate: 81
 audiodatarate: 106
 totaldatarate: 196
 framerate: 30
 bytelength: 11056771
 canseekontime: true
 sourcedata: BD2BB1289HH1313320455837762
 purl: 
 pmsg: 
Load subtitles in /mnt/sdb1/music cd revealed/
open: No such file or directory
[MGA] Couldn't open: /dev/mga_vid
open: No such file or directory
[MGA] Couldn't open: /dev/mga_vid
[VO_TDFXFB] This driver only supports the 3Dfx Banshee, Voodoo3 and Voodoo 5.
[VO_3DFX] Unable to open /dev/3dfx.
Failed to open VDPAU backend libvdpau_nvidia.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
[vdpau] Error when calling vdp_device_create_x11: 1
==========================================================================
Opening video decoder: [ffmpeg] FFmpeg's libavcodec codec family
Selected video codec: [ffh264] vfm: ffmpeg (FFmpeg H.264)
Opening audio decoder: [ffmpeg] FFmpeg/libavcodec audio decoders
AUDIO: 44100 Hz, 2 ch, s16le, 108.7 kbit/7.70% (ratio: 13590->176400)
Selected audio codec: [ffaac] afm: ffmpeg (FFmpeg AAC (MPEG-2/MPEG-4 Audio))
socket(): Address family not supported by protocol
AO: [pulse] Init failed: Connection refused
Failed to initialize audio driver 'pulse'
AO: [alsa] 48000Hz 2ch s16le (2 bytes per sample)
Starting playback...
Unsupported PixelFormat 61
Unsupported PixelFormat 53
Movie-Aspect is 1.33:1 - prescaling to correct movie aspect.
VO: [xv] 320x240 => 320x240 Planar YV12 
A:  48.0 V:  48.0 A-V:  0.001 ct:  0.034   0/  0  6%  1%  3.1% 1 0 

MPlayer interrupted by signal 2 in module: sleep_timer
A:  48.0 V:  48.0 A-V:  0.005 ct:  0.034   0/  0  6%  1%  3.1% 1 0 

Exiting... (Quit)
sh-4.1# 
on quick test, comparing ffmpeg-071.pet alone before adding mplayer pet , with after the latest mplayer pet is added, no noticeable quality difference. both are good quality.