Recent PUPs "Event Manager" and its Desktop Icon service

Window managers, icon programs, widgets, etc.
gcmartin

Recent PUPs "Event Manager" and its Desktop Icon service

#1 Post by gcmartin »

There is a bug of sorts in this utility that is now shipping in all recent versions of TahrPUPs and SlackoPUPs. The Icons service is design to handle placement of the drives icons on the desktop.

The problem is confused by the "Refresh/Realign existing icons" selection.

Scenario
I want to move the current Drive icons to the right beginning position 100p. I change the value from 35 to 100 ... nothing happens. I change the position from bottom to left ... nothing happens. I click the "Refresh/Realign existing icons" box ... aahhh it does work.

OK on to the next PC, an Intel. Follow the same steps. Nothing happens no matter what I check, change, or select. So, as a test, I restart X. ... aahhh, changes are now shown in desktop placement.

Problem
There is NO consistent behavior. How would I know when to use the "Refresh/Realign existing icons"? How would I know when to restart the X desktop? This is not behaving in a consistent fashion as each PC is showing different results for the same steps in execution of the utility.

And more importantly, WHY do I need the "Refresh/Realign existing icons" checkbox when everything I am doing is to affect the current desktop? (I can see value in this when testing the utility, but, not as a production item. This should be happening real time, right? Or at the very least, changes should happen when I click OK, correct?)

Request to address this bug
Can this utility be reviewed by its author and should the Refresh option be removed? Can the expected behavior be explained either in the information box on-screen, or via a Help button, or via some pop-ups when hovering or ... so that some idea of consistent behavior can be expected no matter which PC it is on.