Slacko Beta 1

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
Sage

#121 Post by Sage »

Curious reasoning above? SM claims to BE equal to SM. Two surveys here voted for Opera. Jemimah is an über competent person at the sharp end of the field, so why the reluctance to assess her view? What about other options that really can save bytes and resources?

raffy

Fusion APU E-350

#122 Post by raffy »

Just dropping by to report that "nomodeset" did not help in the Fusion APU E-350.

Yes, I can get to Xvesa and if I close X quickly, I can do CLI and the laptop would not hang. The problem appears to be the GPU (graphics) driver.
Puppy user since Oct 2004. Want FreeOffice? [url=http://puppylinux.info/topic/freeoffice-2012-sfs]Get the sfs (English only)[/url].

drblock2

#123 Post by drblock2 »

Many thanks for the quick resolution of the kernel sources problem. I installed the slickpet pet and downloaded the kernel sources. The md5sum was correct and the installation worked perfectly.

I was able to compile the latest VirtualBox 4.1.2, but could not launch it. The error message said that libGL.so.1 was missing.

Since I am interested in getting VirtualBox up and running - Beta testing is reserved for Puppy, I rolled back to VirtualBox 4.0.0, which runs under Two-Headed Dog 5.28. Same problem - it did not run in slacko. The file, and perhaps the entire library, were missing. In Two-Headed Dog the file was listed under /usrlib and /usr/lib/mesa.

Would like to get VirtualBox running in slacko and would appreciate suggestions.

jim3630

#124 Post by jim3630 »

fluppy's included browser is Midori. from the other end of the field looks like the sharp end is a crowd from here.

I'd vote for what works, sm is in place, or what is least expensive and both with the option in slickpet or ppm to download other brands.

----
the snail climbed atop the sleeping tortoise who then awoke screaming "HOME INVASION, HOME INVaaasion......while leaving the shaded area and the snail cried "WHeee, WHeee...i'm going to faint let me off this rocket."
Last edited by jim3630 on Fri 19 Aug 2011, 20:12, edited 1 time in total.

DaveS

#125 Post by DaveS »

BarryK wrote:
DaveS wrote:Confirming pngoverlay bugs. It works great with USB devices, but not as you can see with optical drive, and not with my dedicated SD card reader. USB card readers are no problem. Again, I suspect this is a woof implementation which may be incomplete. There were reports of similar issues with partitions, but as I only have a single partition on this machine, I cant test.
Is this after you rolled back netpbm? (as reported earlier in this thread)

-- roll back netpbm, then use the GUI app to change the desktop icons, see if that fixes it.
Confirming rolling back netpbm fixes pngoverlay. Great stuff :)
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

01micko

#126 Post by 01micko »

drblock2 wrote:Many thanks for the quick resolution of the kernel sources problem. I installed the slickpet pet and downloaded the kernel sources. The md5sum was correct and the installation worked perfectly.

I was able to compile the latest VirtualBox 4.1.2, but could not launch it. The error message said that libGL.so.1 was missing.

Since I am interested in getting VirtualBox up and running - Beta testing is reserved for Puppy, I rolled back to VirtualBox 4.0.0, which runs under Two-Headed Dog 5.28. Same problem - it did not run in slacko. The file, and perhaps the entire library, were missing. In Two-Headed Dog the file was listed under /usrlib and /usr/lib/mesa.

Would like to get VirtualBox running in slacko and would appreciate suggestions.
Good to hear.

You will need the mesa-7.9.2 package to get all the GL libs for compiling. I would leave it myself though until beta 2, you will find wireless tools headers missing too among other things.

The devx bugs are important to report as well. (I think I'm on to most of them)

iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii

Seamonkey-2.3 final is compiling right now, it takes me exactly 42 minutes! ... 20 to go.. :lol:

EDIT: Bummer.." ERROR: no space left on device".. I deleted some stuff and it compiled ok, but I'll redo later as corruption may have crept in.. in the meantime.. the DOTmozconfig..

Code: Select all

mk_add_options MOZ_OBJDIR=@TOPSRCDIR@/objdir-sm-release
mk_add_options MOZ_CO_PROJECT=suite
ac_add_options --enable-application=suite
ac_add_options --enable-system-hunspell
ac_add_options --localstatedir=/var
ac_add_options --sysconfdir=/etc
ac_add_options --prefix=/usr
ac_add_options --host=i486-pc-linux-gnu
ac_add_options --disable-accessibility
ac_add_options --with-system-bz2
ac_add_options --disable-updater
ac_add_options --disable-parental-controls
ac_add_options --enable-places
ac_add_options --disable-gnomevfs
ac_add_options --disable-gnomeui
ac_add_options --enable-system-cairo
ac_add_options --enable-strip
ac_add_options --with-system-jpeg
ac_add_options --with-system-zlib
ac_add_options --enable-libxul
ac_add_options --enable-storage
ac_add_options --disable-tests
ac_add_options --with-default-mozilla-five-home=/usr/lib/seamonkey
ac_add_options --enable-jsd
ac_add_options --enable-default-toolkit=cairo-gtk2
ac_add_options --disable-crashreporter
ac_add_options --disable-libnotify
ac_add_options --with-system-libvpx

#ac_add_options --with-system-png

# make -f client.mk

# cd objdir-sm-release

# make package #...makes tarball in mozilla/dist/
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

MinHundHettePerro

#127 Post by MinHundHettePerro »

01micko wrote:ok.. I just compiled ff-6.0.. it's still smoking..

The pet is 14M and I linked all the puppy internals to it in pinstall.sh..

so (do we use it as default? [bear in mind we lose an important function.. composer])... sylpheed is about 600-800k.. Seamonkey 17M.. we save about 2 meg.. that would put the iso under 120M and please many, many users at no end.. (I prefer SeaMonkey.. but what do I know?). I compiled FF with it's internal nss and nspr, so should be up to date with security. I'm yet to test pfix=ram because to compile I had to install, mesa, glew.. it should still at least run. More tomorrow...
Just to add another factor to weigh in when making the SM - FF/whatever simple e-mail application - whatever else browser/e-mail combo decision; SM has installable (smallish) language packs, while if you'd want FF to speak your language (or accent) you'd have to download a same-sized localised FF - the original FF white-outed down the layered fs, but still adding MBs, unless re-mastering your pup, am not so updated on opera/midori (and the various "elements" browsers just aren't my thing :wink:).

(To elaborate, somewhat, I've been a Netscape user since '94, and the continuation of NS is, as we all know, SM. That said, I'd like to state that I usually install a 2-series SM in puppies that come with a 1-series SM, and additionally install latest FF, or latest 3-series FF alongside with SM :shock:.)

Somehow :shock:, in my above, (incoherent ?), ramblings, I guess I cast my vote for a recent SM as default browser/e-mail/composer package :).

FWIW :)/ MHHP
[color=green]Celeron 2.8 GHz, 1 GB, i82845, many ptns, modes 12, 13
Dual Xeon 3.2 GHz, 1 GB, nvidia quadro nvs 285[/color]
Slackos & 214X, ... and Q6xx
[color=darkred]Nämen, vaf....[/color] [color=green]ln -s /dev/null MHHP[/color]

aarf

#128 Post by aarf »

touchpad is too slow

Jim1911

#129 Post by Jim1911 »

01micko wrote:ok.. I just compiled ff-6.0.. it's still smoking..

The pet is 14M and I linked all the puppy internals to it in pinstall.sh..

so (do we use it as default? [bear in mind we lose an important function.. composer])... sylpheed is about 600-800k.. Seamonkey 17M.. we save about 2 meg.. that would put the iso under 120M and please many, many users at no end.. (I prefer SeaMonkey.. but what do I know?). I compiled FF with it's internal nss and nspr, so should be up to date with security. I'm yet to test pfix=ram because to compile I had to install, mesa, glew.. it should still at least run. More tomorrow...

mozconfig <--

Code: Select all

. $topsrcdir/browser/config/mozconfig
mk_add_options MOZ_OBJDIR=@TOPSRCDIR@/objdir-ff-release
mk_add_options MOZ_MAKE_FLAGS="-j4"
ac_add_options --disable-libjpeg-turbo
ac_add_options --enable-system-hunspell
ac_add_options --localstatedir=/var
ac_add_options --sysconfdir=/etc
ac_add_options --prefix=/usr
ac_add_options --host=i486-pc-linux-gnu
ac_add_options --enable-system-cairo
ac_add_options --enable-strip
ac_add_options --with-system-jpeg
ac_add_options --with-system-zlib
ac_add_options --enable-default-toolkit=cairo-gtk2

# make -f client.mk

# cd objdir-ff-release

# make package #...makes tarball in dist

#TODO, make dev package
fairly conservative
Personally, I prefer Firefox and am using 6.0 acquired through the beta channel. However I do believe that Seamonkey is a better default browser to use at the present time. Seamonkey is fast and reliable and appears to meet most needs. Those of us that prefer other browsers have them readily available to install. Thank you for the FF pet, will try it with the next update.

Cheers,
Jim

JonT

#130 Post by JonT »

Yet another Brookdale (rev 03) report. My chip versions just might be the nastiest. I admire your tenacity in trying to make these chips/drivers behave. Please note that I am not complaining; the retro kernel versions satisfy my modest needs but it is fun to try the new puppies. For the newer kernels, including slacko, I get a desktop for about 50% of boots but fortunately X restarts reliably. "Intel" and "vesa" drivers work. If it boots, it works well. Wireless with ath5k driver and SNS is fine.

Manual frugal install, booted pfix=ram, installed netpbm-10.34-w5.pet.

Just a couple of items for "polish" ... It appears that the FlatOrange theme needs a "qp-icon.png", for the slickpet icon, not an svg version to be copied into the pixmaps folder. (Guessing here, I don't really know how it is supposed to work, but making a qp-icon.png works.)

Once the FlatOrange icons are chosen, the folder icons in several folders (e.g. / and /usr don't get updated when a different icon set is chosen. Perhaps the netpbm pet isn't quite right?

The min/max speed settings for my synaptics touchpad continue to be set to about 3/10, about a factor of ten higher than with other puppies.
Attachments
slickpeticon.jpg
(8.42 KiB) Downloaded 1146 times
mixedfoldericons.jpg
(63.42 KiB) Downloaded 378 times

Bert

#131 Post by Bert »

MinHundHettePerro wrote: Just to add another factor to weigh in when making the SM - FF/whatever simple e-mail application - whatever else browser/e-mail combo decision; SM has installable (smallish) language packs, while if you'd want FF to speak your language (or accent) you'd have to download a same-sized localised FF - the original FF white-outed down the layered fs, but still adding MBs, unless re-mastering your pup
Yes, I agree, that's another point in favour of Seamonkey.
But, with about 23 languages available, many people will still not be satisfied.

Ubuntu has Firefox language packs for about 75 languages:
https://launchpad.net/~mozillateam/+arc ... hive-extra

I believe Salix has something similar in its repos, but I couldn't find the link.

Three more things about Seamonkey:
* It usually takes a long time before addons are updated to new SM versions.
* I think it was DaveS in the former slacko thread explaining why Seamonkey needs the SeatabX addon for easy closing of tabs and a menu addon (CompactMenu, Tiny Menu,..?)
* Do we still need Compozer, now that the superior and up-to-date Blue Griffon is around? (It can be downloaded from the website, live somewhere outside of the save file and it just runs reliably with one click)

This is not to say Seamonkey wouldn't be a good choice. Just some further food for thoughts..
[url=http://pupsearch.weebly.com/][img]http://pupsearch.weebly.com/uploads/7/4/6/4/7464374/125791.gif[/img][/url]
[url=https://startpage.com/do/search?q=host%3Awww.murga-linux.com%2F][img]http://i.imgur.com/XJ9Tqc7.png[/img][/url]

gcmartin

#132 Post by gcmartin »

SM 2.3 just like you have it...composer, email, browser, add-on, etc. seems to be working "Perfectly".

SM/Mozilla is NOT a browser, its a complete package for a desktop. Since Barry has brought it to our attention, I am hard pressed to find anything in pieces-parts that compares and survives across all of the different upgrades and releases.

Seems like it's still the right default desktop solution.

Another Topic (This is the wrong place to propose this)
But, after many years into the topic of "internet navigation", maybe the browser community in Puppyland could consider building "Browser+desktop packages".

It could work like this.
Some one(s) of us defines a set of desktop requirements. Then the community weighs-in and contributes all things that would match that set of requirement for each and every browser. They would be packaged with all the same things we find in SeaMonkey (SM). They would be called "a 'browser' Package PET" and would include its browser, a desktop composer, a desktop email, a desktop chat, a desktop... for all those things to match what is built into an OTB SM. For example, we could have an
  • Opera Package Pet kit
    FF Package Pet kit
    Dillo Package Pet kit
    Midori Package Pet kit
    Chrome Package Pet kit
    etc
Each "Package PET"/kit would have all of the things that would be necessary to make it equivalent to SM's completness packaged in such a way as to make it easy to add during built time for the distro. Further, maybe, to accompany those kits, would be a Browser Package Removal Pet/kit that would remove all traces of those kits should one want to change their kit.

Then, each/any distro owner could take an off-the-shelf browser Package Pet kit or SeaMonkey to be included in their Puppy distro's desktop.

Mind you, this is just an idea.

Note to Moderator: I'm in favor of this post's to a different topic area either discussing Puppy internet or Puppy development. It is a Puppy idea but, it applies to the community helping to package a kit for distro builders and user selection that I don't believe has been discussed before.

raffy

kits

#133 Post by raffy »

Yes, great idea, gcmartin. We already have devs who favor certain kits, for example:

- ttuuxxx is for Firefox
- gray is for Opera
(just an example, of course their preference can change anytime)

and the distro chair's standard option looks like it's the Seamonkey kit (a tradition from BarryK).

I second your
gcmartin wrote:Each "Package PET"/kit would have all of the things that would be necessary to make it equivalent to SM's completeness packaged in such a way as to make it easy to add during built time for the distro. Further, maybe, to accompany those kits, would be a Browser Package Removal Pet/kit that would remove all traces of those kits should one want to change their kit.
About my preference = any full-featured browser that can use Flash block. :D
Puppy user since Oct 2004. Want FreeOffice? [url=http://puppylinux.info/topic/freeoffice-2012-sfs]Get the sfs (English only)[/url].

01micko

#134 Post by 01micko »

Ok, settled, seamonkey it is.

However, anyone wanting to follow on with woof can build their own version with Firefox and all the little intricate scripts that are handled by Seamonkey have been adapted for firefox. You'll see it in the pinstall.sh (not if you install ff as a pet in a running system, only woof). I'll add a pinstall to sylpheed to cover default email and address book.
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#135 Post by Lobster »

Poodle dept here: :wink:

We can now call ourselves Puppy 5.3 or 53 for short?

If the spot name has been dropped for slacko
we need a logo and artwork . . .
http://puppylinux.org/wikka/ArtSpot
We can have the ruthless minimalism of Slackware
plus some coiffuring 8)

Now that Seamonkey is the designated Slacko browser
whining, moaning for your favourite etc can be directed to Bugman (Puppy official scapegoat)

Bugman is responsible for my inability to get the latest precorder
from the PPM (Puppy Package Manager) and my mic working
I found the precord-7.0.1 pet on the forum - still working on that pawedcast 8)

There is a lot of software in the PPM (Thanks guys, thanks Mick)
Barry is working hard on the PPM and for now try the 'ziggy' configuation. Nice.
If you are a Puppy noob or Puppy lurker
time to boot up with 'puppy pfix=ram'
then you can save at the end a 'testslacko' during the shutdown procedure. You can test some of the compiled software. We learn by doing. We need to know what does and does not work :)
http://puppylinux.org/wikka/NoobHelp
Last edited by Lobster on Sat 20 Aug 2011, 06:38, edited 1 time in total.
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

James C

#136 Post by James C »

Just changed hard drives in an old box so might as well test out Slacko while making sure the hardware works.Slacko Beta 1 live pfix=ram.Sound,internet and display all working on initial boot.Strangely, the ps/2 mouse isn't working...... just grabbed a nearby usb mouse.Mouse was working in that evil Windows before I booted Slacko. :lol:

VIDEO REPORT: Slacko Puppy, version 4.99.1

Chip description:
00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation 82865G Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 02)

Driver used by Xorg:
intel

Video mode used by Xorg:
Resolution: "1024x768" Depth: Depth 24

...the above also recorded in /tmp/report-video

-Computer-
Processor : 2x Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.00GHz
Memory : 1026MB (198MB used)
Operating System : Unknown distribution
User Name : root (root)
Date/Time : Sat 20 Aug 2011 12:27:54 AM CDT
-Display-
Resolution : 1024x768 pixels
OpenGL Renderer : Unknown
X11 Vendor : The X.Org Foundation
-Multimedia-
Audio Adapter : ICH4 - Intel ICH5

# free
total used free shared buffers
Mem: 1026080 493712 532368 0 58024
Swap: 0 0 0
Total: 1026080 493712 532368
#
Last edited by James C on Sat 20 Aug 2011, 05:17, edited 1 time in total.

James C

#137 Post by James C »

01micko wrote:Ok, settled, seamonkey it is.
Glad you chose to continue with SeaMonkey.It appears that Firefox 6 is a real ram hog.

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#138 Post by Lobster »

Strangely, the ps/2 mouse isn't working
Press f12
Setup/mouse keyboard wizard
and then set to ps2 using arrow keys

. . . any help?
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

DaveS

#139 Post by DaveS »

James C wrote:
01micko wrote:Ok, settled, seamonkey it is.
Glad you chose to continue with SeaMonkey.It appears that Firefox 6 is a real ram hog.
F6 also breaks some extensions, and my feeling is that the release cycle is now too frequent for a built-in browser.
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

James C

#140 Post by James C »

Lobster wrote:
Strangely, the ps/2 mouse isn't working
Press f12
Setup/mouse keyboard wizard
and then set to ps2 using arrow keys

. . . any help?
Good idea but no help.Wouldn't work in Lucid 528 either but no problem in xp.
Not certain but this may be the first time I've tried any Linux on this thing. :lol: