Lucid Puppy 5.2.8 - Updated ISO Version 005 - APR 05 2012

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
playdayz

Lucid Puppy 5.2.8 - Updated ISO Version 005 - APR 05 2012

#1 Post by playdayz »

Lucid Puppy 5.2.8 AUG 17 2011
Version 005 released APR 05 2012
Version 5.2.8.6 released NOV 25 2013

The version in this thread (5.2.8-005) is the last version of Lucid Puppy coordinated by playdayz. Forum member rerwin has prepared an updated version named Lucid 5.2.8.6, which contains numerous updates, including the Puppy programs such as Pmusic, Pburn, and PupControl, etc., along with advances in hardware detection and drivers, as well as many updates in the basic infrastructure of all Puppies that have been introduced since the last version of Lucid. There are download links plus links to complete descriptions of the changes at the new page for Lucid 5.2.8.6. -> http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=90461

Is this for me? Lucid 5.2.8 is the previous generation "Official Mainstream Puppy." The current holder of that honor is Slacko Puppy, which Puppy founder Barry Kauler says should be the "first stop" for newcomers to Puppy. Lucid 5.2.8 is a mature, well-tested product with a nice set of usability features, a good amount of available software, and a supportive user base.

How do I use this? To use Lucid Puppy 5.2.8, download the ISO file, burn it on to a CD as an ISO image (not just as a file), then boot the CD. When you shut down, Puppy will offer to create a Save file, which it will use when you reboot. Alternatively, you can use the Puppy Universal Installer to install to a hard drive or usb flash disk. The ISO contains all current updates, so nothing else is necessary. Please see the Notes below for further details.

Which one do I use? If you are new to Lupu then Lupu Plus will probably give you the best odds of everything working out of the box and a few of the programs have newer versions than regular Lupu. Three-Headed Dog has the same updates as Lupu Plus plus a newer kernel so it might work better on newer computers--there is at least one report confirming this. 3HD will run from RAM on a computer with 256 MB RAM; other versions require at least 384MB. Regular Lupu is the same as it ever was. The reason that Lupu and Lupu Plus were both released is that playdayz did not have time to coordinate further testing of Lupu Plus to the same standard as regular Lupu and previous releases of Lucid; however, Lupu Plus has proved itself over time and should now be considered the default Lupu 5.2.8.005

Updates to all versions of Lucid through 5.2.8.005.

1. To install Flashplayer if needed, please update this GetFlash pet -> http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=74491

2. To download and install Libre Office, please update this get_libreoffice pet -> http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=65918

Lupu Plus 528.005 Lucid 528.005 with 41 additional drivers, hpliplite for increased support of HP printers, Pmusic 2.x and newer ffmpeg multimedia libraries. LupuPlus 5.2.8.005 is in basically the same state of update as Lucid 5.2.8.005 with further updates in bold. ffconvert 1.2.1 - shinobar; sfs-load 1.3 - shinobar; PupControl 2.0 - radky; Sylpheed 3.1.3 - playdayz; mtpaint 3.44.3 - don570; PupApps 1.8 - radky; PupSnap 1.6.3 - radky; pprocess 2.2.4 - zigbert; Pburn 3.5.2 - zigbert; firewallstate 2.1 - tasmod; grub4dos 1.7.2 - shinobar; isomaster 1.3.9 - BarryK; pbackup 3.1.9 - zigbert; pfilesearch 1.28 - zigbert; pfind 4.25 - zigbert; PupClockset 1.9 - radky; PupSysinfo 2.1.4 - radky; Bacon Recorder 2.7 - don570; dillo 3.0.2 - playdayz; geany 0.21 - playdayz; Pmusic 2.5.3 - zigbert; HomeBank 4.4 - playdayz; Psip32 - Lobster; Inkscapelite - playdayz

New Programs -> PupMenu 2.0 - radky; getflash 0.9 - shinobar; hpliplite - lluamco
Improved -> Help working in Abiword, Homebank, and web links in many programs Help -> About
Fixed -> guvcview 1.4.1-1 (the previous version would often crash if changing video size and capturing)

Download LupuPlus 5.2.8.005-1 -> http://diddywahdiddy.net/Puppy500/lupup ... .005-1.iso
c105252ebc5f926eb3f5f749215c9b2b

More info and download -> http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 054#622054

Three-Headed Dog -> Lupu 5.2.8.005 with the newer 2.6.37.6 kernel from Slacko 5.3.1 and Pmusic 2.x. It may work better on some machines. More info including kernel sources and devx and download -> http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=70736

Development Add-on (devx) for all versions of Lucid 528.005 -> http://distro.ibiblio.org/puppylinux/pu ... _528-4.sfs
md5 checksum -> bf14b9eea9d67ad2f58dd11dc15832f7

Lupu 528.005 The big news is that Help is working in Abiword and Homebank and the web links are working in many (or all) programs Help -> About. Many programs are updated as listed below.

Version 005 updates: ffconvert 1.2 - shinobar; sfs-load 1.3 - shinobar; PupControl 2.0 - radky; Sylpheed 3.1.3 - playdayz; mtpaint 3.44.3 - don570; PupApps 1.8 - radky; PupSnap 1.6.3 - radky; pprocess 2.2.4 - zigbert; Pburn 3.5.1 - zigbert; firewallstate 2.1 - tasmod; grub4dos 1.7.2 - shinobar; isomaster 1.3.9 - BarryK; pbackup 3.1.9 - zigbert; pfilesearch 1.28 - zigbert; pfind 4.25 - zigbert; PupClockset 1.9 - radky; PupSysinfo 2.1.4 - radky; Bacon Recorder 2.7 - don570; dillo 3.0.2 - playdayz; geany 0.21 - playdayz

New Programs -> PupMenu 1.0 - radky; getflash 0.9 - shinobar; hpliplite - lluamco
Improved -> Help working in Abiword, Homebank, and web links in many programs Help -> About
Fixed -> guvcview 1.4.1-1 (the previous version would often crash if changing video size and capturing)

Download Lupu 528.005 -> http://diddywahdiddy.net/Puppy500/lupu-528.005.iso
8ad170c46b523436776398fa5ce39fa4

Kernel sources for 2.6.33.2 kernel -> ftp://distro.ibiblio.org/puppylinux/pet ... atched.sfs

Possible Issue: If you have no video in gnome-mplayer please click the play icon on the desktop to open gnome-mplayer, then choose Edit -> Preferences, click the drop-down Video Output menu, and change to x11 (from xv). The video is set to xv by default because 1) it has higher quality, and 2) the DVD menus work better.

Notes: 1) If you have previously used the Lucid 5.2.8 Live CD, it may have copied the lupu_528.sfs file to your hard drive. When the new CD boots it will use that lupu_528.sfs without telling you, so you need to delete it from your drive, or rename it, before you boot the new CD. This will happen even if the lupu_528.sfs is in a directory. 2) If you use a frugal install,. a simple trick is to download the ISO, click it to open it, and copy the lupu_528.sfs into the directory that holds the frugal install, replacing the old one.

Updating. Many of the programs in all versions of Lucid have been created by the members of the Puppy Linux community, who often continue to update them. Search for updates in the Additional Software section of the Puppy User Forums. Be aware the some updates, such as Pmusic, I believe, might require that you install newer supporting files (dependencies).

Browsers: Firefox and Seamonkey are the only current (meaning most recent version) browsers that work fully correctly in Lucid. They can automatically update themselves. They are both in the Lucid repo. You can download Firefox 25 now from a faster server -> http://diddywahdiddy.net/Puppy500/Firefox-25-Lucid.pet

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Experimental Version

SuperLuci 005 Same state of update as Three-Headed Dog 005 with kernel version 3.2.13. -> http://diddywahdiddy.net/Puppy500/superluci-005.iso
b49ed4bef70a345af8ab2cc5adab0dc2

Outdated Versions - Lupu and Lupu Plus with old version of Libre Office

LupuLibre 528.005-2 with LibO 3.5.2 -> http://diddywahdiddy.net/Puppy500/lupul ... .005-2.iso
610448a6f7e45733a6ae0589fbb203a8
Some features of Libre Office require java. Lupu Plus Libre includes java--you can add java to Lupu Libre from here http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 455#623455 or the java pet in PPM. Don't forget to Quickpet -> More Pets -> Update Lupu PPM.

LupuPlusLibre More info and download -> http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 054#622054

Three-Headed Dog Libre More info and download -> http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=70736

Optional Upgrades for Lucid 5.2.8

Pmusic Upgrade 005 provides the dependencies to upgrade Pmusic to version 2.5.3, and then further updates can be downloaded from the pmusic thread ftp://distro.ibiblio.org/puppylinux/pet ... 28-005.pet

========================================

#Other Items of Interest

Slacko -> http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=72806
Lupufy Slacko -> http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=73580
Three-Headed Dog -> http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=70736

Version 004 updates: Gnome-mplayer is upgraded to 1.0.4 and has better handling of DVD Menus. XineDVD has better video quality plus a new skin. Pupsave Hot Backup to backup the save file--before doing anything risky - Menu -> Utility -> Pupsave Hot Backup. Pburn update to latest 3.4.1 - Menu -> Multimedia -> Pburn. GetLibreOffice - easy install of latest Libre Office - Menu -> Documents. Gnome-alsamixer is included - this is the mixer for those with multiple sound cards - each is displayed in a tab. Remaster Pup has improvements by rerwin. ALSA Sound Wizard has many improvements and can be used to select the default sound card. alsa-info.sh to get alsa info (run in terminal). PupControl updated to 1.7.7 by radky. SFS-Load updated to 1.2 by shinobar.. And I bet this is a first: the default Grey Glass Puppy wallpaper is updated by catdude with versions for 4x3 and wide screens--go to Menu -> Desktop Settings -> Nathan Wallpaper Setter, plus there is another new wide screen wallpaper by swiatmar. wcpufreq is updated to 0.8 by tazoc. retrovol is updated to 0.11 by pizzasgood. mms protocol plays with chromium-based browsers (Iron, Chrome, Chromium). Isomaster works now in right-click by don570. /tmp directory set to 777.

Lucid Puppy 5.2.8 is the fastest, friendliest, and most fun Lucid yet. It is the fastest because it is the first Lucid derivative to use the C and ffmpeg libraries optimized for i686 computers rather than the older i386 computers. It is the friendliest because special attention has been devoted to the user experience. For instance, 5.2.8 uses the Roxterm console which has copy and paste and other features like a text editor, rather than the older x-terminal. Lucid similarly uses an entirely new Control Panel that makes it easier to customize and configure Lucid to one’s liking. Speaking of customizing Lucid, that is why it is so much fun. 5.2.8 includes more wallpapers and themes than any previous Lucid.

Lucid Puppy 5.2.8 has also received a thorough going-over under the hood. In addition to the faster libraries, there is new and updated firmware and drivers for many devices, courtesy of forum member tempestuous. Further, the hardware detection and configuration routines have been extensively tested and enhanced by forum member rerwin--who has tested the routines for over 3 months since prior to the release of Lucid 5.2.5. Finally, the overall look and feel, the friendly and fun stuff, has been influenced by experiments by forum member pemasu who has created a series of very popular Puppies since the release of 5.2.5. In his honor, Lucid 5.2.8 is nicknamed Finlandia.

Lucid 5.25 is the most leading-edge Lucid ever and a Five Digit Update from Lucid 5.2. It has Bash 4.1.0, an upgrade from Bash 3, Syslinux 4.03, an upgrade from Syslinux 3, and e2fsprogs 1.41.14, the latest from Ubuntu Natty. It now has JWM 500, up from 493. Gnumeric 1.10.13 (up from 1.10.12 in 5.2) is a necessity because our very own yarddog had posted a bug to Gnumeric that is corrected in 1.0.13. Lucid 5.2.1 uses the Woof of FEB 28 replacing the Woof of NOV 28 for 3 months of progress in Woof development.

The first thing up is a very tidy Quickset dialog to accept or change video resolution, timezone, language/locale and keyboard. Next up could be the Browser Installer--which of the major browsers would you like to use--even more than one, with Browser-Default allowing you to change which one you use as the default. And then there’s Quickpet--with as much good stuff as a Swiss Army Knife. There are three tabs worth of great Linux programs that you can install with a single-click, all tested and configured for Lucid Puppy. There’s another tab to install larger programs in the Puppy sfs format, also with a single-click of course. Still in Quickpet, there is a Drivers tab that will analyze your system and recommend which video driver you should use to get the best video--and click to install it. Finally in Quickpet is LupuNews, with one-click instant updates, recommended Tweaks (with links), and the latest News.

Quickpet will also open the Puppy Package Manager which is chock full of even more programs tested and configured for Lucid Puppy, including language packs for 11 different languages. PPM has other window managers ready to install, XFCE and Fluxbox, but Lucid even has JWM built in as an alternate--and of course a WM Switcher to make it all simple. Puppy is still a compact distro, fast and lean, but with all of these resources there is nothing it cannot do. We call it a full-featured compact distro.

Chief developer of the Lucid Puppy series - 01micko
Honored developers of Lucid 5.2.8 - rerwin and zigbert
Honored developers of Lucid 5.2.5 - ttuuxxx and radky
Honored developer of Lucid 5.2 - shinobar
Contributing developers - dejan555, iguleder, radky, tasmod, tazoc, coolpup, rhadon, smil99
Contributors - Jim1911, James C, JustGreg, CatDude, pa_mcclamrock, Tasgarth, ecube, gjuhasz, pemasu, Béèm, rhadon, rjbrewer , stu90, nooby, Lobster, 8-bit, tubeguy, prehistoric, smokey01, DaveS, Snail, aarf, gerry, Billtoo, darwinev0lved, Minnesota, Eyes-Only, enhu, rcrsn51, scsijon, ICPUG, Abnormalter, Stripe, gur, sata80, scruffy, live, alec78,Jades, jpeps, ilanrab, flexxx, don570, Bigpup, mikeslr, einar, scsijon, phdzaps, Sylvander, sszindian, yarddog, morgonzola, jinx100, mave, jbv, acrocosm, gcmartin, Bert, peebee, scsijon, cthisbear, sm6lod, mikeslr, Gyle,Terryphi, maxpro4u, Jemimah, technosaurus, tempestuous, PaulBx1, rcrsn51, and BarryK
Coordinator - playdayz (My apologies for the incompleteness of the list Thank you all.)
Last edited by playdayz on Tue 26 Nov 2013, 22:44, edited 219 times in total.

majorfoo

#2 Post by majorfoo »

THANK YOU! THANK YOU!

I am glad to see this official release of puppy 5.28.

Once again, thank you for all your hard work and dedication to the puppy community.

Just curious about one thing, why was 528 chosen over 529 as official release?

Looking forward to your involvement in more projects in the future.

regards
majorfoo

pemasu

#3 Post by pemasu »

Great !!! Honorable decision and this release shows how you can still improve LTS Lucid Puppy. All the long and tedious work has now the status it deserves.

Congratulations of this much more than bugfix release. And I want to thank you of being such good project leader.

playdayz

#4 Post by playdayz »

Just curious about one thing, why was 528 chosen over 529 as official release?
Luci-529 (Three-Headed Dog) has a different kernel and that would mean a lot more testing to make sure all devices were OK. I am going to keep Three-Headed Dog as a derivative.

escucha

#5 Post by escucha »

Wonderfull! I will take this version as my definitive wondows substitute with a full installation. No more frugality!. Hope this is a LTS, or not?

Many thanks to playdayz, Barry and all the people who made possible this pupp& version.

playdayz

#6 Post by playdayz »

Hope this is a LTS, or not?
Yes, LTS. There are exciting new Puppies coming up in the next months and at some point Lucid will probably move to become a Puppy Derivative--as soon as there is something more or less similar to replace it. But whenever that happens I plan to maintain the derivative. Puppy Derivatives are cool--there are several I could use as my everyday Linux--if there weren't so many good ones.

Sylvander

#7 Post by Sylvander »

Right now I'm downloading the Lupu-528.iso file, using the link supplied, and it's downloading very slowly.
i.e. about 50 kB/s, predicted to take 45 min to complete.

I'm using an XL Broadband connection, which is normally MUCH faster than this.
Contacted my Virgin ISP tech dept., and they reckon it's the site supplying the file that's slow.

ISO file download now completed...
Then...
Did this to edit the isolinux.cfg so pmedia=cd is changed to pmedia=ataflash.
The above was done so I can choose if/when to save or not to save during the session and/or at shutdown/reboot; explanations linked here.

CD-RW now burned using the altered ISO file.
Will probably try later to use this to update my present Lupu-526 pupsave installation. :D
Last edited by Sylvander on Wed 17 Aug 2011, 21:24, edited 4 times in total.

James C

#8 Post by James C »

Good deal. :)

Downloading at 154 KB/sec here.

smokey01

#9 Post by smokey01 »

Excellent. Thanks Larry.

bigpup

#10 Post by bigpup »

Playdayz,

Finally!! The lights are on and somebody is home!

Thank you very much for this much improved version of Lucid Puppy :D

I consider this the best Puppy to recommend to someone new to Linux and Puppy. :D 8)
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

playdayz

#11 Post by playdayz »

Right now I'm downloading the Lupu-528.iso file, using the link supplied, and it's downloading very slowly.
Alternate download link for Lucid 5.2.8
http://diddywahdiddy.net/Puppy500/lupu-528.iso

playdayz

#12 Post by playdayz »

Excellent.
Thanks smokey01, We had to give Phelp a wider audience ;-)
the best Puppy to recommend to someone new to Linux and Puppy.
Good. That's what we worked for. But also with plenty of fun for experienced users.

runtt21

#13 Post by runtt21 »

Playdayz,Sir, Outstanding !!! Thank you and everyone who helped very much !! :D

smokey01

#14 Post by smokey01 »

playdayz wrote:
Excellent.
Thanks smokey01, We had to give Phelp a wider audience ;-)
the best Puppy to recommend to someone new to Linux and Puppy.
Good. That's what we worked for. But also with plenty of fun for experienced users.
If your are ever in South Australia get in touch the beers are on me.

sheldonisaac

Re: Lucid Puppy 5.2.8 Release AUG 17 2011

#15 Post by sheldonisaac »

THANK YOU!

(much snippage)
playdayz wrote: It will update Lucid 5.2.5 or any previous versions of Lucid. Before updating please make a backup copy of your lupusave file. However, a fresh install is always the easiest and that is what is recommended.
I'm an old, timid nooby.

Downloaded the iso onto my Acer Acer Aspire One (running frugal 525).
Left clicked the iso and copied all the files into /mnt/sda6/p528
Copied the existing part of menu.lst that referred to 525 and changed it, to

Code: Select all

title NEW puppy 528
root (hd0,5)
kernel /p528/vmlinuz PDEV1=sda6 PMEDIA=satahd psubdir=p528 pfix=ram
initrd /p528/initrd.gz
Rebooted, chose the new one.

Bingo! A beautiful new Puppy!! Connects to Internet out of the box.

THANK YOU ALL!!

Sheldon

bigpup

#16 Post by bigpup »

sheldonisaac wrote:title NEW puppy 528
root (hd0,5)
initrd /p528/initrd.gz
You do know that using pfix=ram Puppy will not use the save file when booted?
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

Brown Mouse

#17 Post by Brown Mouse »

Great news-the icing on the cake :D
Thank you.

James C

#18 Post by James C »

I've been running a full install of 528 for a week(installed Luci) and nothing bad to report yet.Things have been looking really solid.

sheldonisaac

#19 Post by sheldonisaac »

bigpup wrote:
sheldonisaac wrote:title NEW puppy 528
root (hd0,5)
initrd /p528/initrd.gz
You do know that using pfix=ram Puppy will not use the save file when booted?
Yes, thank you, bigpup.

That was my attempt at being cautious; I've now removed the pfix=ram.

May I ask someone - there are two 'console' icons on my desktop: one is for
urxvt, the other for ROXterm. Is it supposed to be this way?

Thanks,
Sheldon

playdayz

#20 Post by playdayz »

May I ask someone - there are two 'console' icons on my desktop: one is for
urxvt, the other for ROXterm. Is it supposed to be this way?
Yes it is supposed to happen, assuming you updated. Just right-click and Remove Item(s) for the one you don't want.