Lucid Puppy 5.2.8 - Updated ISO Version 005 - APR 05 2012

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
don570

#1141 Post by don570 »

Note to playdayz:

I've spent a lot of time improving baconrecorder.
It's finally at a stage I'm happy with it. :lol:

Would you include version 2.5 in Lucid Puppy?
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 462#602462

majorfoo

#1142 Post by majorfoo »

playdayz wrote:
Audacious 3.2
This is the latest Audacious audio player. The B2SB plugin is working, which is stereo to binaural conversion. http://diddywahdiddy.net/Puppy500/audacious-3.2-1.pet
New version of Audacious works great on my machine. Tried in Lucid-528 and now in THD-001-Ver 3. No problems to report.

Majorfoo

playdayz

#1143 Post by playdayz »

Puppy Programs Update 01 for Lucid 5.2.8.004 (6MB)
http://diddywahdiddy.net/Puppy500/PPU-01-5.2.8.004.pet

These are the latest versions of the Puppy Programs from Lucid 5.2.8 collected into one pet. We can test for a bit then I will put it on the first page of this thread. It should be OK in any version of Lucid 5.2.8 or Three-Headed Dog, but, remember, this is testing!

ffconvert 1.2 - shinobar
sfs-load 1.3 - shinobar
PupControl 1.8.8 - radky
Sylpheed 3.1.2 - playdayz
mtpaint 3.40 - don570
PupApps 1.6.2 - radky
PupSnap 1.6.3 - radky
pprocess 2.2.4 - zigbert
Pburn 3.4.3 - zigbert
firewallstate 2.1 - tasmod
grub4dos 1.7.2 - shinobar
isomaster 1.3.9 - BarryK
pbackup 3.1.9 - zigbert
pfilesearch 1.28 - zigbert
pfind 4.24 - zigbert
PupClockset 1.8 - radky
PupSysinfo 2.1.2 - radky
and just under the wire Bacon Recorder 2.5 by don570!

(firewallstate won't show the update until you reboot)

Pmusic_Upgrade-Lucid528-003 (5MB)

Pmusic 2.4.0 is available in a separate pet which also contains ffmpeg 0.8.9
http://diddywahdiddy.net/Puppy500/Pmusi ... 28-003.pet
If you already have Pmusic_Upgrade-002 with Pmusic 2.3.0 you can just use the latest pet from the Pmusic thread.

Kdenlive Video Editor
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=74615

kevin bowers

#1144 Post by kevin bowers »

playdayz wrote:
I'm confused, any suggestions? This rt61pci card worked well under 528.004,
Main suggestion is to use 5.2.8.004. The Testing ISO has a lot of innovation so report what doesn't work, but if something doesn't work then don't feel that you have to fix it in order to have the latest Lucid--the Testing ISO is more like a parallel development for experiential purposes. At least that's the way I see it. If you would like some of the updated programs, then you can get the ones you want individually and install them in 5.2.8.004.
Yes, if I can't get this install to work, but I don't want to cave too easily, and it now looks like I won't have to. Installed Frisbee, and it seems to do the trick nicely, at least for four boots now. I am now wondering if SNS and Dougal's wizard are having problems with my balky old router, although that does not explain why no other OSs are. At any rate if anyone else has the same general problem I suggest Frisbee before giving up altogether.

PS Thanks for the new multi-program .pet also!

Tman

#1145 Post by Tman »

I find that SFS-Load 1.3 sometimes has problems unloading sfs files in Lucid 5.2.8-004 and was wondering if anyone else has experience this issue.
Lucid still uses aufs, right? My experience is that version 1.2 is more stable with pups using aufs, rather than unionfs.

nooby

#1146 Post by nooby »

I guess it is my lack of knowledge. Can somebody confirm
this is as it should with Lucid Puppy 528-004?
sh-4.1# df
Filesystem 1K-blocks Used Available Use% Mounted on
rootfs 516040 204176 311864 40% /
/dev/sda3 ... /initrd/mnt/dev_save

why does it say /initrd/mnt/dev_save instead of /mnt/home

Is /initrd/mnt/dev_save the real physical place and /mnt/home some kind of virtual symbolic sym link to and from due to convention for how Unix or Linux wants to name it?
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though

PenguinPupLin

#1147 Post by PenguinPupLin »

Edited out
Last edited by PenguinPupLin on Tue 07 Feb 2012, 10:25, edited 1 time in total.

PenguinPupLin

#1148 Post by PenguinPupLin »

playdayz wrote:
xfprot-2.4_fprot-6.0.3.pet,now running the virus scanner.
Just wonder how effective it is - noticed quite a number of "[Not Scanning]<Maximum directory/link traversal depth reached>" files.
I am just curious PenguinPupLin. Does the non-X version of f-prot give the same errors if you run it on the same directories from the command line?
For the non-X f-prot version run from command line, I don't remember the exact error messages but certainly there were quite a number, eg [Not Scanning], [Un-scannable], something like [Not disinfectable], and such like. Because a complete scan for / and for /mnt/home, which was what I did, is going to take me hours, I'm afraid I'm not going to do it again.
There was also the problem of how to run fpupdate to update the virus list. So I will simply stick to using the installed xfprot-2.4_fprot-6.0.3.pet that works (where to update the virus list I simply press F2). Thanks for your interest and concern.

Lastly, I noticed the program was dated 2009, wonder if there is a newer version of the pet, other than going to Frisk to download the latest tarball and run the program from command line.

Aitch

#1149 Post by Aitch »

PenguinPupLin

You could also try Kaspersky liveCD, making sure you get the updatable version, or Bitdefender liveCD, both of which can be left to run overnight....yes, full scans take time, but not doing a full scan is pointless, if you have an infected OS/PC
It is easier to run an OS that isn't prone to viruses, than get rid of a virus and still have a working OS after treatment by 'antivirus' or 'rescue' software, IMHO

Aitch :)

sheldonisaac

Re: Lucid Puppy 5.2.8 - Updated ISO Version 004 - DEC 19 2011

#1150 Post by sheldonisaac »

Can anyone please investigate this?

Thank you.

------

Can any of you 5,2.8 experts help on this?

Please look at my problems with Pmusic, starting on
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... start=1020

(If the URL isn't correct, please look in multimedia -> Pmusic)

I have spent considerable time and effort, but probably not wisely enough,

If someone can just tell this dummy some simple steps to take, I'd appreciate it.

Zigbert has tried to help, and I'm grateful.

I'm running 5.2.8-004

Thanks much,
Sheldon
Last edited by sheldonisaac on Wed 08 Feb 2012, 14:53, edited 2 times in total.

PenguinPupLin

#1151 Post by PenguinPupLin »

Aitch wrote:PenguinPupLin

You could also try Kaspersky liveCD, making sure you get the updatable version, or Bitdefender liveCD, both of which can be left to run overnight....yes, full scans take time, but not doing a full scan is pointless, if you have an infected OS/PC
It is easier to run an OS that isn't prone to viruses, than get rid of a virus and still have a working OS after treatment by 'antivirus' or 'rescue' software, IMHO

Aitch :)
Thanks, Aitch, for your advice. I've tried Panda on LiveUSB, and, yes, going to try Kaspersky and whatever I can get hold of as I really suspect my Windows Vista is infected with a very tricky malware that causes my PC to shut down randomly, apart from other hardware checks. Thought of fprot in Linux because it is something new and unheard of to me in the hope of finally fixing the problem. Unfortunately,after a full fprot scan the PC problem remains.

I'm aware this isn't the right thread to discuss it but at least I got x-fprot running in Puppy as another useful tool I can use to check on Windows OSes.

Indeed,yes, I certainly and fully agree with your last statement, which is why I'm trying to wean myself off from being overly dependent on Windows.

playdayz

#1152 Post by playdayz »

I find that SFS-Load 1.3 sometimes has problems unloading sfs files in Lucid 5.2.8-004 and was wondering if anyone else has experience this issue.
Lucid still uses aufs, right? My experience is that version 1.2 is more stable with pups using aufs, rather than unionfs.
Thanks Tman. I'll load some up and test for unloading. Maybe some other people could too. We could take 1.3 out before posting the Program Update pet for general use. Just out of curiosity, how many sfs's do you usually have loaded at any one time. I am not aware of any problems with 1.2 except the limit of 6 at once, as I understand it.

New version of Audacious works great on my machine. Tried in Lucid-528 and now in THD-001-Ver 3. No problems to report.
majorfoo, I'm glad it is working for you. It is for me also, except clicking the space bar doesn't pause/resume. I found a General plugin named Global Hotkey that can activate the space bar, but then it steals the space bar from any other program that is running--I prefer the way it works in 2.5.4. I keep meaning to test the B2SB plugin for stereo to binaural headphones.

majorfoo

#1153 Post by majorfoo »

playdayz wrote:
majorfoo, I'm glad it is working for you. It is for me also, except clicking the space bar doesn't pause/resume. I found a General plugin named Global Hotkey that can activate the space bar, but then it steals the space bar from any other program that is running--I prefer the way it works in 2.5.4. I keep meaning to test the B2SB plugin for stereo to binaural headphones.
Have you tried using the pause/resume button on right side of the + button? It is fourth button from left side, two vertical marks.

No problems getting music to pause, then resume using this button on my machines

majorfoo

Ray MK

#1154 Post by Ray MK »

Hi all

Lupu-528 TESTING 01a

Downloaded the .iso,mounted it and extracted the necessary files to a test directory and booted using grub4dos.
Straight to desktop settings, selected local etc. Wifi connection and all looks good so far. Used SNS.
Using Opera-12-beta ATM - and it all seems screaming fast - very nice.

Wed 8 Feb 2012 Operating System: Lucid -528 Linux 2.6.33.2
2.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Core Processor Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 18)
oem: Intel(R)Ironlake Mobile Graphics Chipset Accelerated VGA BIOS product: Intel(R)Ironlake Mobile Graphics Controller Hardware Version 0.0

X Server: Xorg Driver: unknown
X.Org version: 1.7.6
dimensions: 1366x768 pixels (361x203 millimeters)
depth of root window: 24 planes

Intel(R) Core(TM) i3 CPU M 370
Core 0: 2394 1: 2394 2: 2394 3: 2394 MHz

...the above also recorded at '/tmp/root/report-video-glx'.

HTH - very best regards - Ray
Attachments
Hinfo.zip
(6.2 KiB) Downloaded 160 times

playdayz

#1155 Post by playdayz »

Have you tried using the pause/resume button on right side of the + button? It is fourth button from left side, two vertical marks.

No problems getting music to pause, then resume using this button on my machines
majorfoo, Yes, no problem for me either. Thanks. Sometimes it is easier to use the space bar though, say if the screen is blanked I can pause with the space bar and not have to wait for the screen to come back. No big deal at all.

shinobar

sfs_load version

#1156 Post by shinobar »

Tman wrote:I find that SFS-Load 1.3 sometimes has problems unloading sfs files in Lucid 5.2.8-004.
Unloading sfs may have some problem depends on many issue. I guess it is not the sfs_load version problem. SFS-Load 1.3 has many fix from v1.2, and i still have not found new bugs in v1.3.

# 28 Oct 2011 v1.2.9: support kernel 3.x and unionfs, special characters in path, profile.d
# 13 Nov 2011 v1.3: fix could not unload excess sfs(>6) with some version of busybox, PUPMODE=7(same as PUPMODE=2), error message at unload failure, wait before removing layer

Report on the sfs_load topic please if we can reproduce the issue.
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=64354
Downloads for Puppy Linux [url]http://shino.pos.to/linux/downloads.html[/url]

James C

#1157 Post by James C »

Better late than never......fresh frugal install of the latest testing release.Zero problems so far on this Athlon XP box.

Ray MK

#1158 Post by Ray MK »

What would be nice for laptop users - Acpi.
ie - close the lid and laptop sleeps - open lid and it wakes up.

If one were to copy the files from another similar puppy to /etc, and add a few bits in startup, would it work?

Is there any danger of doing damage to the computer, bios, or similar?

Seem to remember trying this before on a much older laptop and it has not worked since - dead completely.

Not a biggy - but if it were built in - would be nice.

Using Opera-11.62.sfs to post this and all seems well - insanely fast.

So far for me Luvly Puppy - many thanks - regards - Ray

Tman

Re: sfs_load version

#1159 Post by Tman »

shinobar wrote: Unloading sfs may have some problem depends on many issue. I guess it is not the sfs_load version problem. SFS-Load 1.3 has many fix from v1.2, and i still have not found new bugs in v1.3.
Thanks for the info, Shinobar, I will reinstall SFS-Load 1.3 and see how it goes. The last issue occured when I was editing my own SFS files and was unmounting and remounting the SFS file a lot for testing and bugfixing.

I got an error message saying something like "the SFS could not unload from the unionfs." Then it ask me if I wanted to put it in the queue so that I could unload it after reboot. I found that message strange becuause I thought that only very old Puppies used unionfs..then aufs was adopted, until Barry decided to give unionfs another try in his newer Wary/Racy.

shinobar

Re: sfs_load version

#1160 Post by shinobar »

Tman wrote:I got an error message saying something like "the SFS could not unload from the unionfs."
The message maybe confusing, but it means both unionfs or aufs(AnotherUnionFS).
It occurs when the sfs is in use.
Downloads for Puppy Linux [url]http://shino.pos.to/linux/downloads.html[/url]