Lucid Puppy 5.2.8 - Updated ISO Version 005 - APR 05 2012

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
otropogo

#1171 Post by otropogo »

kevin bowers wrote:
otropogo wrote: Now to find the procedure for making foxit the default pdf reader...
Open /usr/local/bin/defaulthandler as text; change "epdfview" to "foxit" or, I have had better luck with using the full path, usually /usr/bin/foxit or /usr/local/bin/foxit, wherever foxit installs to. Usually works, good luck!

ps. This is Linux--don't forget to save! Also, don't forget to boogie, but that's different.
Thanks for the suggestions, but no cigar...

I renamed defaulthander to .bak, then changed epdfview to foxit and saved as defaulthandler. Tried opening a pdf file, still using pdfview 0.1.7

Tried restarting X, same result.

Searched for foxit with pfind, and found three entries, /usr/bin/FoxitReader; /usr/lib/Foxit;/usr/lib/Foxit/FoxitReader

Edited defaulthandler replacing foxit with /usr/bin/FoxitReader, and saved.

Reopened pdf file, still using ePDFview. Rebooted system, checked text of defaulthandler, reopened pdf file - still us9ing ePDFview.

I noticed that pfind gives the path for ../bin/FoxitReader as /usr/bin/,

whereas it's actually /.usr/bin/, Have tried that also, and still no change.

I've looked for a separate default file for PDF viewers in the /usr/local/bin directory (as exist for other categories, like browser), but can't see any.

So now I'm puzzled. How is lupu getting its direction to open PDF files with ePDFview, given that the defaulthandler file doesn't contain any reference to it? And if it gets it's direction from elsewhere, what purpose does the defaulthandler file serve?
otropogo@gmail.com facebook.com/otropogo

sheldonisaac

#1172 Post by sheldonisaac »

otropogo wrote: So now I'm puzzled. How is lupu getting its direction to open PDF files with ePDFview, given that the defaulthandler file doesn't contain any reference to it? And if it gets it's direction from elsewhere, what purpose does the defaulthandler file serve?
Apparently none?

See file://localhost/usr/local/apps/ROX-Filer/Help/Manual.html

Is there a tutorial that would have saved us this searching?

otropogo

#1173 Post by otropogo »

sheldonisaac wrote:
otropogo wrote: So now I'm puzzled. How is lupu getting its direction to open PDF files with ePDFview, given that the defaulthandler file doesn't contain any reference to it? And if it gets it's direction from elsewhere, what purpose does the defaulthandler file serve?
Apparently none?

Is there a tutorial that would have saved us this searching?
I went, I saw, but I couldn't find "defaulthandler".

Meanwhile, I've found another promising method of getting nowhere. It's called "PuppApps" and sits in the Menu/utilities section. When you open it, it seems to show you the default app for a number of app categories, including one for /document/PDF Reader.

You're also able to change this setting, and I used the procedure to replace ePDFview with Foxit. I know it worked, because now, when I put the cursor on the pdf viewer icon in PuppApps, a popup displays "FoxitReader". There is further proof in that clicking on the icon opens a Foxit window. Very nice, and almost as easy as opening Foxit from the menu/documents/list, in fact a mere 100% more clicks (4 instead of 2), and a bit more searching through the longer list.

But is Foxit now the default pdf viewer? Noooooo!

So what is the purpose of the PuppApps module? Apparently, to provide a slower, more complicated way of opening an app than that provided by the main program menu.

drblock2

#1174 Post by drblock2 »

Try changing this file, replacing epdfview with FoxitReader:

Code: Select all

/root/.config/rox.sourceforge.net/OpenWith/.application_pdf/Open with PDF viewer
This should do it. You have to right click on the pdf icon in ROX and select "Open with PDF viewer" from the menu. Simply left-clicking on the icon (as you would for a jpg-file) does not seem to work anymore.

sheldonisaac

#1175 Post by sheldonisaac »

some snipping
otropogo wrote: How is lupu getting its direction to open PDF files with ePDFview, given that the defaulthandler file doesn't contain any reference to it? And if it gets it's direction from elsewhere, what purpose does the defaulthandler file serve?
I went, I saw, but I couldn't find "defaulthandler".
It seems that in Lucid 5.2.8, the defaulthandler file does _NOT_ control file associations.

Rather, the process would be as below; I'll do it now:
In rox, right-click on
/mnt/sdb6/jbl/User_Manual.pdf
Follow File 'User_Manual.pdf' to Set Run Action
In the space under Enter a shell command , replace existing command
with /usr/bin/nicoedit "$1"

Now left click opens pdf files with nicoedit.
(This was just a test. I'll now replace it with the actual pdf viewing software.)

ICPUG

#1176 Post by ICPUG »

Otropogo,

When you have a problem you sometimes get very snappy in your responses.

PupApps is an alternative Launcher. See here:

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=61962

You may not like it but some people might because it is a way of grouping apps and customising your launcher menu/tabs

It is not for setting file associations.

scottman has written a defaults chooser pet. Unfortunately chosing a default for pdf is not one of its options. Perhaps a kind word to scottman may help to add this category or elucidate what you have to do for yourself.

666philb

#1177 Post by 666philb »

right click on the pdf and choose 'set run action'

then drag and drop /usr/lib/Foxit/FoxitReader onto the 'drop a suitable application here' window

this changes the default in /root/.config/rox-sourceforge.net/MIME-types
Bionicpup64 built with bionic beaver packages http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=114311
Xenialpup64, built with xenial xerus packages http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=107331

otropogo

#1178 Post by otropogo »

Thanks to all for your comments, especially 666philb, whose suggestion I opted to try first (and with success!)
666philb wrote:right click on the pdf and choose 'set run action'

then drag and drop /usr/lib/Foxit/FoxitReader onto the 'drop a suitable application here' window

this changes the default in /root/.config/rox-sourceforge.net/MIME-types

otropogo

#1179 Post by otropogo »

Aitch wrote:mounting read only is usually a sign of ntfs errors

http://puppylinux.org/wikka/ntfs3g

However, I seem to recall there was an updated bugfix version of ntfs, so check which version you have

ntfs-3g --version
mine shows as ntfs-3g 2011.1.15 integrated FUSE 27, and hasn't given any noticeable problems using my external 320gb and 1Tb drives, nor my flashdrives [though these are fat32]

tempestuous comments here, where you posted, also

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 656#587656

ICPUG refers to the updated ntfs-3g here

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 153#466153

Aitch :)
Have finally located your reference source for the ntfs-3g 2011.1.15 driver, but haven't been able to find any installation package for it.

I did find reference and source code for a more recent stable version:

ntfs-3g + ntfsprogs 2012.1.15

at tuxera.com.

But I couldn't find any deb packages for that either. In fact, the only deb ntfs-3g package I was able to find is the one already installed in lupu 528 (which doesn't work properly on my system)...

Update: on searching further, I did find some ntfs-3g deb packages. Unfortunately, they did not include the one that works for Aitch, cited above. Nor did they include the latest stable one from tuxera.com.

the're at:

http://pkgs.org/download/ntfs-3g

I took a chance and installed the one below

ntfs-3g_2011.4.12AR.4-2ubuntu3_i386.deb

but subsequently found I could no longer copy certain files (jpegs, for instance) form other partitions to my internal ntfs partion in lupu 5.28.

And other copies gave a a failure message, although the file was apparently copied.

I then uninstalled the new ntfs-3g driver, but since then cannot open the ntfs partition and my home partition simultaneously on the desktop....

a wonderful mess!

If someone could point me to a deb package that will actually work with luypu 528, would appreciate it.

Sylvander

#1180 Post by Sylvander »

Here in lupu-528.004...
Attachments
00.jpg
(6.13 KiB) Downloaded 985 times

Aitch

#1181 Post by Aitch »

otropogo

maybe from your link, try

ntfs-3g_2011.4.12AR.4-2ubuntu3_i386.deb - read/write NTFS driver for FUSE [unless you have AMD64 processor, then choose the one above]

listed under ubuntu11.10, as that seems closest to lucid...?

and maybe also run

chkdsk volume:/f
or

chkdsk volume:/r

in windoze

As per Sylvander's suggestion, using PPM, try updating repos first to see if a later version is available

otropogo

#1182 Post by otropogo »

Aitch wrote:otropogo

maybe from your link, try

ntfs-3g_2011.4.12AR.4-2ubuntu3_i386.deb - read/write NTFS driver for FUSE [unless you have AMD64 processor, then choose the one above]

listed under ubuntu11.10, as that seems closest to lucid...?

and maybe also run

chkdsk volume:/f
or

chkdsk volume:/r

in windoze

As per Sylvander's suggestion, using PPM, try updating repos first to see if a later version is available

That's the one I tried. I subsequently tried the earlier one 10.8.8, but still have error messages and issues copying (though not deleting, apparently).

When I try to see the version currently installed, I get this response:
sh-4.1# ntfs-3g --version
ntfs-3g: error while loading shared libraries: libntfs-3g.so.79: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
Can't run Windows on my linux system as no W version is installed. Will experiment further later, hopefully I won't dig myself an even deeper hole...

Update: after installing ntfs-3G_2010.8.8, my internal ntfs partition gave the same error message ( read only mounting) I'd been getting on the external ntfs drives. I uninstalled it, and then was unable to access the partition at all, and after each attempt, had to restart X to access the other partitions.

I finally reinstalled the original ntfs-3G_2010.3.6 and was able to write to the ntfs internal partition again.

Sylvander

#1183 Post by Sylvander »

1. Here's what I get:

ntfs-3g 2010.3.6 external FUSE 28
sh-4.1# 
2. And searching for ntfs-3g...
Attachments
00.jpg
(10.85 KiB) Downloaded 875 times

Aitch

#1184 Post by Aitch »

When I try to see the version currently installed, I get this response:

Quote:
ntfs-3g: error while loading shared libraries: libntfs-3g.so.79: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
That does look as though your file system is broken, so maybe re-install/update ntfs-3g from the updated ppm list?

I can't help but feel that it's giving symptoms of fat table damage, as I've had drives behave like that, too, which just seemed plain weird at times....
With no win to run chkdsk, maybe copy your files elsewhere, then reformat the drive with gparted, to ensure the fat table/partition has no errors underlying puppy?
Have you checked the partition with gparted, [partition/check tabs] to see if it shows damage, or can be repaired that way?

When I run pfind ntfs-3g I get this, attached, which also gives locations[path]/permissions, in slacko 530

Attachments
screenie-ntfs-3g.png
(68.34 KiB) Downloaded 327 times
Last edited by Aitch on Thu 16 Feb 2012, 21:19, edited 1 time in total.

bigpup

#1185 Post by bigpup »

Program update:

Right click options 5.6
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=67013
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

otropogo

#1186 Post by otropogo »

Aitch wrote:...
Have you checked the partition with gparted, [partition/check tabs] to see if it shows damage, or can be repaired that way?

When I run pfind ntfs-3g I get this, attached, which also gives locations[path]/permissions, in slacko 530

not yet/. but here's my jpeg and yours for comparison
Attachments
deb10.3.6.jpg
(176.02 KiB) Downloaded 350 times

otropogo

#1187 Post by otropogo »

Sylvander wrote:Here in lupu-528.004...
Yes, that's the one that ships with lupu 5.28. It's also the one that intermittently mounts my two USB drives read only citing a problem with ntfs-3g (the problem I'm trying to address by finding a compatible update).

It has never yet displayed this problem with internal ntfs partitions (one on my desktop, three on my laptop). The two usb drives are hardly used, factory formatted by Seagate, almost empty, and are not likely to both be fragmented or otherwise corrupted. Windows doesn't see any problem with them, nor do other Linuxes that support ntsf-3G.

I was hoping to find the version of ntsf-3G Aitch is using without problems, but haven't been able to find any deb package with that name. It's not among the three updates I found. The only other mention of it was on Barry's blog, but there's no link to a download.

Aitch

#1188 Post by Aitch »

otropogo
re libs
The only real noticeable thing is your libntfs-3g.so is in path usr/lib, where mine is in /lib, as are the other 2 libs, but also usr/lib

So maybe try copying it to /lib and see if that makes a difference?

I note also you have a usermap in /bin, and don't know if you may have made changes from default, as that doesn't appear in mine, but we are looking at different OS versions...?

I am puzzled especially as I have a 1Tb Seagate drive, presumably factory formatted NTFS, and have no problems with it....in Slacko, on my scsi/xeon workstation, nor in 214X on my laptop, though I had to add a powered usb2- pcmcia adapter for it to work

HTH

otropogo

#1189 Post by otropogo »

Aitch wrote:otropogo
re libs
The only real noticeable thing is your libntfs-3g.so is in path usr/lib, where mine is in /lib, as are the other 2 libs, but also usr/lib

So maybe try copying it to /lib and see if that makes a difference?

I note also you have a usermap in /bin, and don't know if you may have made changes from default, as that doesn't appear in mine, but we are looking at different OS versions...?

I am puzzled especially as I have a 1Tb Seagate drive, presumably factory formatted NTFS, and have no problems with it....in Slacko, on my scsi/xeon workstation, nor in 214X on my laptop, though I had to add a powered usb2- pcmcia adapter for it to work

HTH

I'm reluctant to play around further, given the troublesome effects some of my attempts have produced. At the moment, I have the original 2010.3.6 version installed via the deb packet. And I believe things are back to the way they were. However, there's no way to tell, because when I boot clean from the original lupu 528 CD w/o any 2fs file, pfind doesn't see any of those entries, but refers only to the ntfs-3G packet in root.

I'm running lupu528 with the 004 patch, so we should be running the same OS. The difference is in the updated ntfs-3G 2011.1.15 deb package you managed to find and install, and which I haven't been able to find.

I've backed up my 2fs file, and If I find time later this weekend, I may try the remaining updated deb driver and your root suggestion.

The most puzzling effects I've found with the 10.3.6 driver on my desktop's internal ntfs drive (created by gparted, IIRC) are:

1. although it never gives me the read-only ntfs-3G error, it won't let me copy jpeg files from a vfat partition on the same hdd to the ntfs partition.

I haven't experienced any of these problems with the ntfs partition on the laptop, because it has no internal vfat partition, only ntfs.

2. It will let me copy jpegs from another vfat partition on a separate hdd, without any error messages.

3. It will let me delete any file on the internal ntfs partition

All of this is quite different for its behaviour with the external ntfs partitions accessed via USB, which it sometimes mounts, reads and writes normally, and other times mounts read only complaining about a problem with the ntfs-3G driver.

Aitch

#1190 Post by Aitch »

OK, but I think playdayz should have his thread back now,
sorry for the attempt to assist resulting in an attention grabber, playdayz