Lucid Puppy 5.2.8 - Updated ISO Version 005 - APR 05 2012

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
otropogo

#1186 Post by otropogo »

Aitch wrote:...
Have you checked the partition with gparted, [partition/check tabs] to see if it shows damage, or can be repaired that way?

When I run pfind ntfs-3g I get this, attached, which also gives locations[path]/permissions, in slacko 530

Aitch :)
not yet/. but here's my jpeg and yours for comparison
Attachments
deb10.3.6.jpg
(176.02 KiB) Downloaded 350 times
otropogo@gmail.com facebook.com/otropogo

otropogo

#1187 Post by otropogo »

Sylvander wrote:Here in lupu-528.004...
Yes, that's the one that ships with lupu 5.28. It's also the one that intermittently mounts my two USB drives read only citing a problem with ntfs-3g (the problem I'm trying to address by finding a compatible update).

It has never yet displayed this problem with internal ntfs partitions (one on my desktop, three on my laptop). The two usb drives are hardly used, factory formatted by Seagate, almost empty, and are not likely to both be fragmented or otherwise corrupted. Windows doesn't see any problem with them, nor do other Linuxes that support ntsf-3G.

I was hoping to find the version of ntsf-3G Aitch is using without problems, but haven't been able to find any deb package with that name. It's not among the three updates I found. The only other mention of it was on Barry's blog, but there's no link to a download.

Aitch

#1188 Post by Aitch »

otropogo
re libs
The only real noticeable thing is your libntfs-3g.so is in path usr/lib, where mine is in /lib, as are the other 2 libs, but also usr/lib

So maybe try copying it to /lib and see if that makes a difference?

I note also you have a usermap in /bin, and don't know if you may have made changes from default, as that doesn't appear in mine, but we are looking at different OS versions...?

I am puzzled especially as I have a 1Tb Seagate drive, presumably factory formatted NTFS, and have no problems with it....in Slacko, on my scsi/xeon workstation, nor in 214X on my laptop, though I had to add a powered usb2- pcmcia adapter for it to work

HTH

otropogo

#1189 Post by otropogo »

Aitch wrote:otropogo
re libs
The only real noticeable thing is your libntfs-3g.so is in path usr/lib, where mine is in /lib, as are the other 2 libs, but also usr/lib

So maybe try copying it to /lib and see if that makes a difference?

I note also you have a usermap in /bin, and don't know if you may have made changes from default, as that doesn't appear in mine, but we are looking at different OS versions...?

I am puzzled especially as I have a 1Tb Seagate drive, presumably factory formatted NTFS, and have no problems with it....in Slacko, on my scsi/xeon workstation, nor in 214X on my laptop, though I had to add a powered usb2- pcmcia adapter for it to work

HTH

I'm reluctant to play around further, given the troublesome effects some of my attempts have produced. At the moment, I have the original 2010.3.6 version installed via the deb packet. And I believe things are back to the way they were. However, there's no way to tell, because when I boot clean from the original lupu 528 CD w/o any 2fs file, pfind doesn't see any of those entries, but refers only to the ntfs-3G packet in root.

I'm running lupu528 with the 004 patch, so we should be running the same OS. The difference is in the updated ntfs-3G 2011.1.15 deb package you managed to find and install, and which I haven't been able to find.

I've backed up my 2fs file, and If I find time later this weekend, I may try the remaining updated deb driver and your root suggestion.

The most puzzling effects I've found with the 10.3.6 driver on my desktop's internal ntfs drive (created by gparted, IIRC) are:

1. although it never gives me the read-only ntfs-3G error, it won't let me copy jpeg files from a vfat partition on the same hdd to the ntfs partition.

I haven't experienced any of these problems with the ntfs partition on the laptop, because it has no internal vfat partition, only ntfs.

2. It will let me copy jpegs from another vfat partition on a separate hdd, without any error messages.

3. It will let me delete any file on the internal ntfs partition

All of this is quite different for its behaviour with the external ntfs partitions accessed via USB, which it sometimes mounts, reads and writes normally, and other times mounts read only complaining about a problem with the ntfs-3G driver.

Aitch

#1190 Post by Aitch »

OK, but I think playdayz should have his thread back now,
sorry for the attempt to assist resulting in an attention grabber, playdayz

stiginge

#1191 Post by stiginge »

I'm running 529 at the moment but for b43 compatability with my wifi I need to switch to 528, is this possible without losing my downloads/firefox settings in 529?
Buy silver, crash JPMorgan

bigpup

#1192 Post by bigpup »

stiginge wrote:I'm running 529 at the moment but for b43 compatability with my wifi I need to switch to 528, is this possible without losing my downloads/firefox settings in 529?
What type install?
Frugal or full?
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

recobayu

pequalizer for lucid puppy

#1193 Post by recobayu »

hi everybody,
is there a pequalizer for lucid puppy 528 like slacko has?
thanks a lot.

stiginge

#1194 Post by stiginge »

Hi Bigpup, its from 529livecd to 528livecd that I want to go

playdayz

#1195 Post by playdayz »

is there a pequalizer for lucid puppy 528 like slacko has?
Sorry, no, recobayu. That is a special feature that 01micko and zigbert built for slacko. Some audio players have built-in eq though. I use Audacious which does.

audacious 2.5.4 -> http://diddywahdiddy.net/Puppy500/audacious-2.5.4.pet
audacious 3.2 -> http://diddywahdiddy.net/Puppy500/audacious-3.2-1.pet
I'm running 529 at the moment but for b43 compatability with my wifi I need to switch to 528, is this possible without losing my downloads/firefox settings in 529?
stiginge, back up your save file please before trying. Thanks.

bigpup

#1196 Post by bigpup »

Barry has posted a bug fix pet for the Rox-Filer focus problem.
Explained at his blog.
The updated pet is in a comment to the main blog post.
http://bkhome.org/blog/?viewDetailed=02698

ROX-Filer PET
http://distro.ibiblio.org/quirky/pet_pa ... ed-w5c.pet
YaPI(any iso installer)

bigpup

#1197 Post by bigpup »

playdayz wrote:
Hi Bigpup, its from 529livecd to 528livecd that I want to go
stiginge, back up your save file please before trying. Thanks.
I guess Playdayz is saying, a good chance the save file, made under 529, will work with 528.
The main stuff will be in the Lucid Puppy sfs file, so my thinking is the save file is only settings and new programs.
Make a copy of the Lupusave 529 save file, and see what happens using it with Lucid 528.
You can give it a different name, so you get to choose which one to use, on bootup.
Name it like- lupusave-test.Xfs. (X being 2 or 3)

You are the test dog.
I would like to know the definite answer to that one.
Never tried to go back, in versions, with use of a save file.
YaPI(any iso installer)

otropogo

When will lupu get an ntfs-3g update?

#1198 Post by otropogo »

Have just spent several more fruitless hours trying to find a way to get lupu 5.2.8's ntfs-3g v. 2010.3.6 driver to work reliably.

I then rebooted with two other current Puppys, and had no problem, except for lacking hot-plug capability on my USB3.0 expresscard adapter.

The first I tried, Slacko 5.29.6, uses the 2011.1.15 driver, while the second, Racy 5.2.2 K31, uses the 2010.8.8 driver. Each mounted both of my two Seagate Goflex drives, one 3TB, and the other 320GB, without issues on the USB3.0 port, so long as the expresscard and drives were connected at bootup and not re-arranged (once unplugged, they disappear until rebooted). Not perfect, but usable.

On the USB2.0 ports, both drives could be hot-plugged repeatedly without problems.

The best lupu could do on USB3.0 (with the xhci-k2.6.33.2 USB driver installed) was to mount one of the two drives read-only. The other doesn't even appear in Pmount. On the USB 2.0 port, both drives appear, but sometimes give the ntfs-3g error message, and will mount read-only. Sometimes one will mount normally, while the other is read only. Sometimes both will mount normally or read-only.

I haven't found a deb package for ver. 2011.1.15, and the ubuntu deb package for ver. 2010.8.8 didn't work well for me.

Why does lupu have to be stuck with a defective two year old ntfs-3g driver?

stiginge

#1199 Post by stiginge »

bigpup wrote: I guess Playdayz is saying, a good chance the save file, made under 529, will work with 528.
The main stuff will be in the Lucid Puppy sfs file, so my thinking is the save file is only settings and new programs.
Make a copy of the Lupusave 529 save file, and see what happens using it with Lucid 528.
You can give it a different name, so you get to choose which one to use, on bootup.
Name it like- lupusave-test.Xfs. (X being 2 or 3)

You are the test dog.
I would like to know the definite answer to that one.
Never tried to go back, in versions, with use of a save file.
My 529 savefile is at /mnt/home and is actually titled 'lucisave.3fs', rather than lupusave as you mentioned, does this make any difference?. So now if I want to use that savefile in 528 what do I have to do? (there is also a warysave.2fs but presumably its the lucisave.2fs that we need).

Is there a command to identify the title and location of the savefile that you are running? And more nb, is there a command that be inputted at F3 on bootup that will specify which savefile, and automatically choose this one thereafter?

playdayz

#1200 Post by playdayz »

My 529 savefile is at /mnt/home and is actually titled 'lucisave.3fs', rather than lupusave as you mentioned
stiginge, I wasn't thinking. You can make a copy of your lucisave.3fs named lupusave.3fs--that will serve as the backup. Lcuid 5.2.8 will then use the lupusave and the lucisave will be safe just in case.

playdayz

#1201 Post by playdayz »

otropogo, First step -> http://packages.ubuntu.com/search?keywo ... ection=all

This is all the Ubuntu ntfs-3g packages. Note there is also ntfs-3g-udeb at the bottom. Updating Lucid from Ubuntu is not totally straightforward because there are lots of dependencies, plus what James C says below. All we can do is try them and see if any will work and improve the situation. Lucid will install the deb package. I think you will need to reboot after installing one. The problem might be more complicated than just the ntfs-3g driver though.

I will also see if I can compile the latest source, but that might take a few days.

Since James C mentions the kernel, have you tried Three-Headed Dog for this problem? Possibly with the more recent packages from Ubuntu.
Last edited by playdayz on Mon 20 Feb 2012, 17:48, edited 5 times in total.

James C

#1202 Post by James C »

playdayz wrote:
I will look into this. What I might be able to do is to give you some newer versions to try.
One of the pitfalls of using an older kernel..... the tradeoff of stability versus the possibility of not having the most up-to date drivers.

bigpup

#1203 Post by bigpup »

stiginge wrote: My 529 savefile is at /mnt/home and is actually titled 'lucisave.3fs', rather than lupusave as you mentioned, does this make any difference?. So now if I want to use that savefile in 528 what do I have to do? (there is also a warysave.2fs but presumably its the lucisave.2fs that we need).

Is there a command to identify the title and location of the savefile that you are running? And more nb, is there a command that be inputted at F3 on bootup that will specify which savefile, and automatically choose this one thereafter?
For Lucid 528:
The save file will need to be named lupusave-XXX.3fs (XXX being added name)
528 only looks for lupusave for name of save file to use.
To use the 529 lucisave in 528, you will need to rename it to lupusave.
I would make a copy, rename, and try using it.

I do not know of any commands to identify save file, being used or boot commands to select save file.
If there is more than one save file, found during boot process. The boot will stop and a selection screen will give you opportunity to select the one to use.
Good idea,if you want to have more than one save file to use, is give each a identifying name.
lupusave.3fs
lupusave-test.3fs
lupusave-bigbob.3fs
lupusave-work.3fs
etc......
YaPI(any iso installer)

James C

#1204 Post by James C »

Maybe because the 2.6.33.2 kernel was released on Thu, 1 Apr 2010 .
http://lwn.net/Articles/381573/

Still running it in my Ubuntu Lucid install so there's no real problems with it.........

otropogo

#1205 Post by otropogo »

playdayz wrote:
otropogo, First step -> http://packages.ubuntu.com/search?keywo ... ection=all

This is all the Ubuntu ntfs-3g packages. Note there is also ntfs-3g-udeb at the bottom. Updating Lucid from Ubuntu is not totally straightforward because there are lots of dependencies, plus what James C says below. All we can do is try them and see if any will work and improve the situation. Lucid will install the deb package. I think you will need to reboot after installing one. The problem might be more complicated than just the ntfs-3g driver though.

I will also see if I can compile the latest source, but that might take a few days.
I'll happily wait to see whether you're able to compile the latest source. I'm afraid I don't understand the relationship between successive drivers and the kernel. Is it possible to compile a more recent ntfs-3g driver for lupu5.2.8?

Since James C mentions the kernel, have you tried Three-Headed Dog for this problem? Possibly with the more recent packages from Ubuntu.
I haven't tried Three-Headed Dog lately but as I mentioned in my previous post, both ntfs-3g 2010.8.8 (in Racy 5.2.2 K31) and nfts-3g 2011.1.15 (in Slacko 5.29.6) gave no indication of problems with any ntfs partition on my system, AND supported USB3.0, except for hot-plugging. So either of those should be good candidates.

However, possibly the latest version from Tuxera.com ntfs-3g 2012.1.15 would add hot-plugging support for USB 3.0.?

The one question with this last feature is that I don't know whether the issue is one of hot-plugging support for USB3.0 devices or for the PCI-expresscard USB3.0 adapter. In Windows 7, this isn't an issue, but the adapter manufacturer, Sabrent, supplies a Win7 driver for the adapter.