Lucid Puppy 5.2.8 - Updated ISO Version 005 - APR 05 2012

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
ICPUG

#1411 Post by ICPUG »

playdayz wrote: Lucid 5.2.8.005 with Libre Office 3.5.1 built-in

Would anyone be interested in this? Libre Office is included and integrated with the desktop icons and default programs. Also, I think the Libre programs open a bit faster since they are loaded into ram as part of the lupu-528.sfs. But it is 294MB, so it would need a computer with at least 600 MB ram to load into ram (2 x 294MB ~ 600MB)
I have always maintained at least 2 Puppies on my machines. The first is what I regard as suitable for a home user and Lupu 5.2.N.xxxx has filled that notch for quite a while now.

The second Puppy is what I regard is for the Professional User. Currently that place is secured by Lighthouse Puppy. However, if Tazoc's absence is extended then Lighhouse becomes more and more out of date with its apps. LupuLibre could well fit into that slot. One thing that Lighthouse has though, that I think is quite important, is Wine inbuilt. This allows me to run those absolutely brilliant Windows programs that are never going to be ported to Linux. There aren't many (!) but Wine can be very handy when you've got one.

How much of Lupu Plus would be needed in LupuLibre to make sure it was professional? - the abilility to work with HP printers certainly. Would there need to be an in-built browser? Tricky one that as it reopens browser wars!

As you come up with these new proposals, Playdayz, I am beginning to see the argument of whether Lupu is an official Puppy as becoming irrelevant.

Lupu, Lupu Plus and Lupu Professional are the official Lupus!

While based on Puppy they are deviating from the Puppy ethos in a significant way. They are biased towards users, rather than biased towards developers. They have more 'help'.

Lupu is a whole new ecosystem.

In this scheme of things I would drop the 'Lucid'. This helps to dissociate Lupu from the incorrect Lucid Ubuntu derivative tag and associate it with the Puppy derivative tag.

Must stop rambling ... The answer to the original question is YES.

Jasper

LibreOffice

#1412 Post by Jasper »

Hi playdayz et al,

I wonder if the way I load LibreOffice in Slacko 5.3.1 with JWM would work in the latest versions of Lucid and, if so, if it may be of some interest.

If the SFS, first listed below as a PET, works using any SFS loader then you might see if you get an alternative JWM menu after applying this:

Code: Select all

jwm_menu_create && jwm -restart && exit
If it works and you want to revert to your normal JWM menu, try:

Code: Select all

fixmenus
If all goes well, you may try one or both of seaside's SFS pets listed below.

The advantages I find are:
(1) seaside's SFS programs (all-at-once and one-at-a-time versions) load near instantaneously because they omit checks.
(2) technosaurus' jwm pet (to which I made one tiny change and converted to an SFS) is 15 times faster than "fixmenus"
(3) RAM usage is relatively and amazingly negligible.
(4) LibreOffice modules load really fast.
(5) I also like to put LibreOffice Quickstart in my System Tray.
(6) I can unload LibreOffice and other SFS' near instantaneously with SFSunloader. (included with Exec for one-at-a time loads).
(7) Everything is fast except if you want to run "fixmenus", but you don't have to use it if you are content with Quickstart and don't update initially or are happy with the technosaurus menu.

As the Forum doesn't accept sfs files AFTER downloading CHANGE the jwm tools pet extension to sfs
Attachments
jwm_tools-0.9.pet
(16 KiB) Downloaded 242 times
SFSdirload-standalone-0.3.pet
(1.5 KiB) Downloaded 255 times
SFS-exec.pet
(3.54 KiB) Downloaded 231 times

playdayz

#1413 Post by playdayz »

seaside's SFS programs (all-at-once and one-at-a-time versions) load near instantaneously because they omit checks.
Jasper, I am very much interested in having the Libre Office programs start up faster, if that is what you mean. In Lupu Libre they start up better than usual because they are loaded into ram, but as majorfoo said they are still not instantaneous as Abiword, etc. I thought that was just because Libre Office programs load slower.
HomeBank help->content to work, It seems it is something I did, messing with defaultbrowser (usr/local/bin/defaultbrowser) and making a script (called browser), that called for starting the defaultbrowser.
Ha-ha BigPup, Yes, I thought it must have been something about your system because I could not recreate it. Thanks for the tips--I will experiment with them. Please let me know if you see anything else. Thanks. It seems like it wasn't just a script named browser in /usr/bin, darn it.
LupuLibre to make sure it was professional? - the abilility to work with HP printers certainly
ICPUG, Do you mean Lupu Libre should contain hpliplite as Lupu Plus does? That's doable. Lupu Professional -- Maybe so. Would there need to be an in-built browser? Tricky one that as it reopens browser wars! Lobster mentioned that also. I understand. There are good reasons for a default built-in browser. Browser choice in Lupu was an attempt to offer customization since different people prefer different browsers. Thanks to 01micko it works smoothly enough imho that I will probably let it stand. Plus, adding a browser would push Lupu Libre/Professional over 300MB.
Last edited by playdayz on Thu 29 Mar 2012, 16:11, edited 6 times in total.

Jasper

#1414 Post by Jasper »

Hi playdayz,

Try it - it's nearly as fast as Abiword//Gnumeric once loaded (and also quick to load) and with hardly any RAM usage say, 20-40 MB.

My regards

I don't pretend to have a deep unde4rstanding, but it's very very fast fo me.

playdayz

#1415 Post by playdayz »

Try it - it's nearly as fast as Abiword//Gnumeric once loaded
Uh, How do I try it? What do I do? Is there a link? Thanks.

Jasper

#1416 Post by Jasper »

Hi playdayz,

Hi first download the jwm pet and change it's extension to sfs and load it using your current sfs loader, Later you can use a seaside program.

Then try the create menu code.

If all goes well download and install seaside's exec pet.

Then with the rightclick menu load LibreOffice sfs with right click and then right click the "exec" probably above your usual sfs loader, Then run the create menu code.

I can be available for about an hour, but I'm sure seaside will help as needed and there are some tweaks available, but for starters perhaps just test speed and RAM usage?

My regards

playdayz

#1417 Post by playdayz »

Jasper, I see. Thanks. At the moment I am interested in having the programs open faster in LupuLibre, which has Libre Office built-in *not* installed as an additional sfs, so i think this might not be applicable there.
Last edited by playdayz on Thu 29 Mar 2012, 16:15, edited 1 time in total.

Jasper

#1418 Post by Jasper »

Hi playdayz,

Ok signing off now. Hope you find any tests interesting - the method may be good for some of your versions and possibly those with less RAM.

My regards and thank you again for all the help you extended to me.

otropogo

#1419 Post by otropogo »

playdayz wrote:
Is there any chance of updating the ntfs-3g driver in one or all of these lupus?
Is there an alternate that has been tested?
I don't know of any pet. The version lupu528 contains is unreliable in the following respects on my sytem:

On the USB2.0 port, it unpredictably presents the following issues:

1. mounts ntfs partitions read-only, or

2. when two external ntfs formatted hdds are found, will (apparently randomly) mount one read-write, and the other read-only.

(Sometimes it will load both hdds in read-write mode, sometimes both it read-only).

NB: ntfs partitions on hdds connected via the IDE or SATA bus are not affected by this glitch, in my experience.

The ntfs-3G driver currently provided for CentOS users does not exhibit any of these issues:
use-ntfs-3g i686 2010.10.2-1.el6.rf rpmforge 637 k
https://www.centos.org/modules/newbb/vi ... post157985

Aitch has reported elsewhere in these forums that he successfully installed the above version of the ntfs-3G driver in lupu, and that it works properly. But he gave no details of the method of installation or where he obtained the package.
Native support for USB3.0 would also be a big boon.
Same basic question, is there a pet that has been found to work reliably?[/quote]

There is a pet,

xhci-k2.6.33.2.pet

and it works, but not exactly reliably. I have only limited experience to report from since currently my only USB3.0 capable PC is a laptop using a PCI-E cardbus USB3.0 adapter.

Will need to refresh my memory as to the exact problems encountered. I do recall that the adapter and all devices must be attached when booting Lupu in order to activate this port, and no hot plugging is possible afterward. Once a device is unmounted, the port can't be used again.

Slacko5.29.6 provided this level of support natively, and IIRC, somewhat more reliably. But I need to check my previous posts, and perhaps run some more test.

But having even this level of support beats having to reboot into Windows in order to make a backup or transfer of files IMO.
otropogo@gmail.com facebook.com/otropogo

OscarTalks

#1420 Post by OscarTalks »

Hello playdayz,

Is there any chance the issue of the need for updated firmware for my wireless adapter can be fixed in Lupu or is it not possible with the kernel used?

Pemasu understands it all fully and we discussed it in the Racy/Wary beta thread in the Bugs section recently. Racy now works with this adapter and latest Slacko beta does too. The firmware is rt2870.bin, I tried placing the (downloaded) new file in /lib/firmware but it didn't solve it in Lupu. Signals are detected but not the WPA ones.

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 2&start=45
Last edited by OscarTalks on Thu 29 Mar 2012, 19:14, edited 1 time in total.
Oscar in England

James C

#1421 Post by James C »

lupulibre-5.2.8.005.iso live pfix=ram.Everything working ootb. LibreOffice is launching in about 1 second here so it seems plenty fast...... but I'm using a quad-core with lots of ram.I'll try it out on some slower hardware later though.Looks good so far.

# report-video
VIDEO REPORT: Lucid , version 528

Chip description:
oem: NVIDIA
product: MCP61 - mcp61-86 Chip Rev

Driver used by Xorg:

Video mode used by Xorg:
Resolution: Depth:

...the above also recorded in /tmp/report-video
#
Using the "nv" driver.

-Computer-
Processor : 4x AMD Athlon(tm) II X4 620 Processor
Memory : 2854MB (229MB used)
Operating System : Puppy Linux 0.52
User Name : root (root)
Date/Time : Thu 29 Mar 2012 01:30:51 PM CDT
-Display-
Resolution : 1366x768 pixels
OpenGL Renderer : Unknown
X11 Vendor : The X.Org Foundation
-Multimedia-
Audio Adapter : HDA-Intel - HDA NVidia
Attachments
lupulibre.png
(148.42 KiB) Downloaded 1232 times

playdayz

#1422 Post by playdayz »

NTFS-3g
USB 3.0
Updated Firmware
otropogo and OscarTalks, I wasn't focusing on these for this 005 update, and they will take some time to know what to do if anything, so they would be subject to a future update.
LibreOffice is launching in about 1 second here so it seems plenty fast..
Yes James C, but I so much like programs to open instantly ;-) I agree that for what you get 1 second is plenty fast. Now that I think about it, that is probably faster than MS Office opens in W7.

Chromium 20 for Lucid

Chromium is the open-source basis of the Google Chrome browser. As the development version is is in advance of the released stable version.
http://diddywahdiddy.net/Puppy500/Chromium-20-Lucid.pet
Last edited by playdayz on Thu 29 Mar 2012, 22:40, edited 2 times in total.

rerwin

Update on Broadcom proprietary drivers

#1423 Post by rerwin »

playdayz, cowboy and anyone with Broadcom wifi issues,
In support of peebee's compilations of the Broadcom proprietary driver, wl, I have created puppy components to manage the detection and activation of workarounds for the problem of its not supporting certain models of Broadcom wifi cards. This is an attempt to avoid user frustration from failure to detect supposedly supported models.

With the newer versions of the driver, versions 5.100..., models 4311 and 4312 may generate a "failure" message when the driver is used with them. The general solution is to avoid that version and substitute either the older proprietary driver, 5.60..., or the open-source driver, b43. Using a puppy "firmware tarball" containing module-changing- and initialization scripts as well as a modprobe configuration file, puppy can arrive at the correct driver for a particular wifi-card model. This will necessitate a second boot-up if the latest driver is insufficient.

Peebee has built a "combined" package containing the latest versions of the proprietary drivers (5.100... and 5.60...) and the firmware tarball to handle the workaround. To try that package, please download and install broadcom_sta_x86_32-k2.6.33_dual-version.pet from peebee's posting at
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 360#609360
The package can be installed into any of the lupu 5.2.8 installations.

Here is what to expect after reboot with the package installed:
  • A new "eth?" network device may be detected.

If no new device detected, a reboot should result in either an "eth?" or wlan0 device being detected.
Users should first try the reboot before concluding that some other action is necessary. Puppy does not explain that, so users should be advised to try that first.

Although I am not aware of any issues with the older proprietary driver, the logic can easily be updated (by me) to detect such a condition and trigger use of the open-source driver. So, users are urged to report any problem with that driver version. (Run pmodemdiag and post/PM its generated tar.gz file as soon as you see a problem.)

I would also like to know of any other problems with the seemingly troublesome Broadcom drivers (after installation of peebee's package), as my goal is to resolve as many as I can.
Richard

bones01

#1424 Post by bones01 »

bigpup wrote:
To set LibreOffice Writer as the default word processor that opens by clicking the write icon on the desktop, you can right-click /usr/local/bin/defaltwordprocessor and choose Open as text. Then change abiword to swriter and Save.
I changed it to libreoffice and that worked for me.
This took ages to find, but glad I persevered. Bigpup, I had to change this to 'libreoffice3.5' to make it work.

At last it works!!

Bones
Dell Latitude D630 running Puppy 5.2.8 frugal, Macpup 525 frugal (if I can get it working again. Sadly, I couldn't get it fixed :? )
Precise Puppy 5.4 live DVD
Precise 5.7.3 on USB

Volhout

LupuLibre

#1425 Post by Volhout »

May be a good solution to include a web browser.

I know you will start a war, but if you have Lupu, LupuLibre, then why not a LupuLibreWeb.iso, where you include a default browser.

Volhout

may I suggest Chromium or Iron ?

ICPUG

#1426 Post by ICPUG »

playdayz wrote: ICPUG, Do you mean Lupu Libre should contain hpliplite as Lupu Plus does?
Yes

playdayz

#1427 Post by playdayz »

To set LibreOffice Writer as the default word processor that opens by clicking the write icon on the desktop, you can right-click /usr/local/bin/defaltwordprocessor and choose Open as text. Then change abiword to swriter and Save.
bones01, There is also this pet that integrates the Libre Office word processor, spreadsheet, draw, and presentation programs
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 503#613503

nooby

#1428 Post by nooby »

Wanted to use an old computer HP/Compaq d230 Celeron CPU
1.5GHz for test of odd Linux distros but seems too old.
Lupu 528 frugal install fails to get desktop after first set up settings
and the restart of xorg. Xwin never starts. I tested with 1024.x 768
because that is what the monitor expects. I guess I ahve to test with lower?
Puppy 431 do work with 1024.x 768 but I want a very modern Puppy.

HP d230 only have 247MB RAM so that is maybe too small? I should
try to add to at least 512MB

But I remember vaguely we have had many reporting on black screen
after restart? Or rather xwin never starts.

Or it can be something with the video card.

Would it work better with some otehr Puppy or why does xorg not start
It looks all okay when it start up then after the restart of xorg it never work

800 x 600 did survive a restart of xorg but voi what big text :)
Is it the low amount of RAM that makes it fail to start xorg?
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though

James C

#1429 Post by James C »

nooby wrote:Wanted to use an old computer HP/Compaq d230 Celeron CPU
1.5GHz for test of odd Linux distros but seems too old.
Lupu 528 frugal install fails to get desktop after first set up settings
and the restart of xorg. Xwin never starts. I tested with 1024.x 768
because that is what the monitor expects. I guess I ahve to test with lower?
Puppy 431 do work with 1024.x 768 but I want a very modern Puppy.

HP d230 only have 247MB RAM so that is maybe too small? I should
try to add to at least 512MB

But I remember vaguely we have had many reporting on black screen
after restart? Or rather xwin never starts.

Or it can be something with the video card.

Would it work better with some otehr Puppy or why does xorg not start
It looks all okay when it start up then after the restart of xorg it never work

800 x 600 did survive a restart of xorg but voi what big text :)
Is it the low amount of RAM that makes it fail to start xorg?
Try checking for the correct video drivers. Quickpet, then click on "drivers" then the test video button. There may be updated drivers available for your computer.
Attachments
test video.png
(94.39 KiB) Downloaded 1755 times

majorfoo

#1430 Post by majorfoo »

Full Install of Lucilibre-5.2.8-005 on Pent 4, 2.8ghz cpu, 2gb mem

Using stopwatch, takes 3.45 to 3.55 sec to open writer..
Abiword is almost instant, however, I like libreoffice better

Guess libreoffice -writer takes longer because it is much larger program