Lucid Puppy 5.2.8 - Updated ISO Version 005 - APR 05 2012

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
pcpunk

#2821 Post by pcpunk »

I have been asking questions to get myself acquainted with what exactly it is that I need to have a LiveUSB puppy distro. I already have Lupu 5.2.8 something and recently had an issue with Chromium not getting IheartRadio and some Photobucket issues. I was having the same issues with LMMQ17 and just uninstalled Google Chrome and reinstalled and all worked fine after that. We believe that he issue was a bad wireless internet connection. Now I cannot get a browser to download from anywhere in Lupu. One member suggested that the Repository was not working the last couple of days. I was also notified and read that I could only use Firefox and Seamonkey?

I was also told that this distro was not supported anymore, is this true?

Is there a better option for me with LiveUSB? Precise, Slacko etc. I can't even find system requirements for these distro's.
Finally I feel like I am in the right place for this info. anyhow? If I am not then just send me away lol. see ya!

bigpup

#2822 Post by bigpup »

pcpunk,

I gave you some info about this in your post in Beginners Help.

Lucid Puppy repositories are being worked on to correct download problems.
Hopefully they will be fixed soon.

Seem to be working now.

Lucid 5.2.8 is not the latest version of Lucid Puppy, but that does not make it unusable or not supported.
Some hardware can not handle newer stuff.

Latest Lucid Puppy 5.2.8.6 is here:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=90461

Puppy is not like Windows.
"We have a new version, so you need to throw away your computer and buy a new one".

The older versions of Puppy are needed by some peoples hardware, so they still get support.

Be more concerned with what works not that it is the latest and greatest.
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

bigpup

#2823 Post by bigpup »

I was also notified and read that I could only use Firefox and Seamonkey?
Some truth to this, but more to do with the version of the other browsers.
The newest versions of some browsers have minimum hardware/software requirements.

Chromium V20 seems to work OK for me.

Could not use Chromium V25.

Downloaded and installed using Quickpet a few minutes ago.

Probably not going to use it.
I do not like Google spying on me and what I do on the Internet.
YaPI(any iso installer)

Lil_humpers

#2824 Post by Lil_humpers »

Could not use Chromium V25.

Downloaded and installed using Quickpet a few minutes ago.

Probably not going to use it.
I do not like Google spying on me and what I do on the Internet.[/quote]

LH- I'm using Sulu Lupu 5286 002 and Chromium 25 works just fine but was installed ontop of Chromium 20 Lucid. Also slimboat 1.1.5 but only after using slimboat 1.1.4.3 Lucid pet. Pale Moon installs but doesn't not create an entry in the PPM to be able to unintall and it has a few quirks but usable. PM will not allow saving settings.

I also have Smplayer 14.3 and Stube 2.1 installed and working with qt 4.80 from saluki pets

pcpunk

chris

#2825 Post by pcpunk »

bigpup wrote:pcpunk,

I gave you some info about this in your post in Beginners Help.

Lucid Puppy repositories are being worked on to correct download problems.
Hopefully they will be fixed soon.

Seem to be working now.

Lucid 5.2.8 is not the latest version of Lucid Puppy, but that does not make it unusable or not supported.
Some hardware can not handle newer stuff.

Latest Lucid Puppy 5.2.8.6 is here:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=90461

Puppy is not like Windows.
"We have a new version, so you need to throw away your computer and buy a new one".

The older versions of Puppy are needed by some peoples hardware, so they still get support.

Be more concerned with what works not that it is the latest and greatest.
Yes I remember this, unfortunately I was told that this is not supported anymore and to go to Fatdog64-600. I could not even use LuPu so deleted it omg to bad.

Yeah, I am not interested in the latest and greatest, just what works for sure. Can you advise me on what to install. I am just using this as a back-up OS and to play around with. Fatdog did not seem to suit me, and I had to choose where to save my changes every time I quit, I don't remember having to do this in LuPu right? I liked LuPu and would be happy going back if you think I should. I don't think I have my setup in signature: Windows XP64bit with 32bit Home Edition installed, 4GB RAM, Dual Boot XP-LM17MQ.

Or should I go with Precise puppy? If you have time I will follow your advice. I just want something simple and fun to play around with, something that will allow me to find support etc. I am guessing I could go to the new LuPu as my system seems to be pretty robust for an old laptop. Good stuff, thanks pcpunk

pcpunk

#2826 Post by pcpunk »

I would also like to know if it is possible to install this to a usb completely, No Frugal?

Is it possible to just save to the usb?

And please point me to a good tutorial so that I can install.

Do I need to burn a CD or just use something like Unetbootin?

bigpup

#2827 Post by bigpup »

I would also like to know if it is possible to install this to a usb completely, No Frugal?
Installing to a USB flash drive is the same as installing to a CD.
It makes a live Puppy USB.

Yes you can save to the USB.

Using Unetbootin is easiest way to install to USB if you do not want to do it with the Puppy programs from a running version of Puppy..
YaPI(any iso installer)

hayden

NLLUG

#2828 Post by hayden »

Has anyone tried recently to use packages for this flavor of Puppy from NLLUG? They had been my favorite source of all kinds of things but the latest packages I downloaded from there failed to install. Because most of the computers I work with do not have an Internet connection, I burned the pets to a DVD. I wondered if they were not working because of that so I copied some to my home directory in Puppy in case they needed to create files or directories at the point of use. I also changed permissinns so everyone could write or run them. No success. Then I downloaded one directly to my home directory and that did not work either.

I searched the forum for NLLUG and this thread came up first and it is the version of Puppy I am using. Alas, it is 189 pages long! I read back to 2013 and found only a vague reference to someone having trouble with pets from an unspecified source. I have been using Puppy since version 2 and have never had such a big problem with pets before.

mavrothal

#2829 Post by mavrothal »

The Lucid repo was wiped and re-uploaded 2 weeks ago.
Do pets from ibiblio work for you?
== [url=http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html]Here is how to solve your[/url] [url=https://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/bugs.html]Linux problems fast[/url] ==

bigpup

#2830 Post by bigpup »

This problem with downloaded pets seems to be caused by downloading with a browser like Firefox or others.

Something the browser is doing to the pet package file as part of the download process.

The pet packages seem to work OK if downloaded with the Puppy Package Manager or Wget.
mavrothal wrote:If you use PPM (download only) or just "wget URL" or "curl -O URL" to download a package, works just fine.
However, if you download through Firefox (or Midori) the downloaded pet has different md5sum than the one you get with wget! So somehow downloading via the browser you get a corrupted pet.
More important the md5sum of the internal tarball of the pet is different than the one added to the pet file by dir2pet so pet2tgz catches that and bails out!
Confused

Bottom line, wget or curl your pets for now. (or use the download only option of PPM)

This is a posted fix for using Firefox browser to download.
SFR wrote:In Firefox it can be fixed with:
1. about:config
2. Find network.http.accept-encoding string
3. And delete its gzip,deflate value
YaPI(any iso installer)

hayden

GRUB installer does not find Windows

#2831 Post by hayden »

I installed this to a hard drive. In the past the Universal Installer also installed GRUB and it automatically found all my Linux and Windows bootable partitions (and some non-bootable ones). This one makes me install GRUB more or less manually. When I click on the option to add a Windows or DOS partition it opens a text file that seems totally irrelevant and fails to add Windows to menu.lst.

Does the old Universal Installer still work? Where can I get it?

bigpup

#2832 Post by bigpup »

The Universal installer is different, because of bug fixes and improvements that needed to be done.

Not Auto loading a boot loader was a needed fix, because Puppy has two options for a boot loader.
Grub
Grub4dos

You choose the one you want to install and use.

The version of Grub, that is in this version of Lucid Puppy, is an old version. A lot of bug fixing and tweaking, has been done to the Grub version that comes with Puppy, But this one has not had that.
It is a very hands on version.

The boot loader I would use is the other one.
Grub4dos

After doing the install.

Go to menu->system->Grub4dos Bootloader Config
Run this program and just select the default settings.
It should setup the menu.lst and give you a working boot menu.

This is becoming the only bootloader to use because it just works better and has very little problems.

If you want the latest version of Grub4dos or read about it
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=51697

shinobar actively keeps it updated to new required changes. This is very much a bootloader tweaked for Puppy, but it has great support for any other operating system.
YaPI(any iso installer)

hayden

workaround

#2833 Post by hayden »

I just copied the Windows section from the menu.lst in a working Puppy and all is well. However, whatever one thinks of the different GRUBs, is not popping up an irrelevant text file instead of adding Windows to menu.lst a bug? This seems like an instant deal killer to beginners who try to dual boot Puppy and lose Windows.

rcrsn51

#2834 Post by rcrsn51 »

You never identified which version of Lucid you installed or which GRUB tool you used. But I looked in Lupu 5.2.8.6 and it still has the original "Kent Robotti" Legacy GRUB. And every version of Grub4Dos that I have seen automatically adds a menu entry for Windows.

So I am confused by your reports.

hayden

GRUB

#2835 Post by hayden »

Sorry. I thought GRUB meant GRUB Legacy as found in every Puppy I have seen and GRUB4DOS was the other option. I used Ye Olde GRUB. Every previous version of that I have seen in Puppy creates menu.lst automatically.

I also thought the version was established by the title of this thread:

"Lucid Puppy 5.2.8 - Updated ISO Version 005 - APR 05 2012"

And I did indeed see mention of Kent Robboti;-)

In any case, I fixed my problem. How do I report the bug in the GRUB Legacy installer?

rcrsn51

#2836 Post by rcrsn51 »

Around the time that Precise was being developed, the Kent Robotti Legacy GRUB became incompatible and quit working. It was retired in favour of a new tool called Legacy GRUB Config 2013.

It may be that when Lucid was upgraded, the Robotti GRUB broke again, but was never noticed.

The Lucid maintainers will need to look at this.

sheldonisaac

GRUB stuff

#2837 Post by sheldonisaac »

rcrsn51 wrote:Around the time that Precise was being developed, the Kent Robotti Legacy GRUB became incompatible and quit working. It was retired in favour of a new tool called Legacy GRUB Config 2013.

It may be that when Lucid was upgraded, the Robotti GRUB broke again, but was never noticed.

The Lucid maintainers will need to look at this.
Hi, folks. Thanks for this recent discussion.

Although I have rerwin's Lucid Puppy 5.2.8.6 sulu-002 (with GRUB4DOS) on this approx year 2011 computer, I just installed Legacy GRUB Config 2013.
Starting it seems fine, though I didn't proceed with it; the existing GRUB4DOS is working OK.

Again, thanks to you all.

Sheldon
Dell E6410: BusterPup, BionicPup64, Xenial, etc
Intel DQ35JOE, Dell Vostro 430
Dell Inspiron, Acer Aspire One, EeePC 1018P

sindi

Orinoco_cs pcmcia (non-cardbus) not detected and won't load

#2838 Post by sindi »

My internal orinoco_cs pcmcia card (Toshiba Satellite 3000-S353 and others in the 3000 series) is detected and works in Pulp (4.1.2-based), 4.1.3, and Wary 5.5. In Lupu 5.2.8.6 it is not detected.

Same problem with an external DELL orinoco-based pcmcia card.

I uncommented
/etc/init.d/rc.pcmcia line pcmcia-socket-startup so that non-cardbus cards will be recognized, and a non-cardbus Linksys ethernet card was recognized.

I tried to load it manually:Loading orinoco_cs failed....

FATAL: Error inserting orinoco-cs.... Unknown symbol in module, or unknown parameter (see dmesg). Maybe try a different driver.

dmesg gives me a long list of
Unknown symbol orinoco_down, _if-add, _up, etc (all with orinoco or hermes in them)
alternating w ith
disagrees about version of symbol orinoco_down......

Was the lupu kernel compiled without support for orinoco? It is one of only two non-cardbus wireless internet chips that I know of. It was also used internally in some older DELLs (I have two, circa 2001 just before mini-PCI cards got popular).

Is there a fix or should I use wary or Puppy 4 instead?
Or an external (cardbus) wireless ethernet card?

sheldonisaac

Re: Orinoco_cs pcmcia (non-cardbus) not detected and won't load

#2839 Post by sheldonisaac »

There are some differences between that LuPu and the Playdayz-managed LuPu 5.2.8-005. Richard or others at http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=90461 may have some tips.
I think I needed a driver or something for use with this Super Lupu 2 (or some such variant) , and found it in a Precise iso
Last edited by sheldonisaac on Wed 27 Aug 2014, 16:39, edited 1 time in total.
Dell E6410: BusterPup, BionicPup64, Xenial, etc
Intel DQ35JOE, Dell Vostro 430
Dell Inspiron, Acer Aspire One, EeePC 1018P

sindi

Lupu 5.2.5 orinoco_cs pcmcia works

#2840 Post by sindi »

I will try 5.2.8-005 instead of 6.