Puppy Phone - VOIP using SIP

Under development: PCMCIA, wireless, etc.
Sylvander

#376 Post by Sylvander »

1. "Eric you have posted a message with a url link and an extra space just before [/url] - more than likely - that is why your message is not displaying"
I read his post prior to it it magically vanishing.
It said something like:

He didn't like that Puppy Phone was able to allow participants in a call to RECORD the conversation without the other parties knowing.
He would like that capability to be removed.
Or at least that the other parties should be auto-notified they were being recorded.

For those reasons he was now terminating his participation in this thread. :(

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Having thought about about it, I think he makes a very good point.
I want to cease using Skype [and look for an alternative like Puppy Phone] because it has been bought by Microsoft, and I don't trust Microsoft.
It doesn't help if I can now be recorded without my knowledge by Puppy Phone, and who knows what use made of the recording.
And all without my informed consent.

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#377 Post by Lobster »

@Lobster, which Slacko RC are you using? There are 2
rc++

. . . regarding recording . . . I think a 'you are being recorded' light would be a courtesy and it also might be possible to offer a 'do not record me' option.

For most of us it is a very useful choice. :)
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

smokey01

#378 Post by smokey01 »

The recording notification is already built into the latest Psip.

You get a beep and a message telling you who is recording the conversation.

You can either say nothing and not be recorded or hangup, your choice.

The recording facility is very useful but it needs to be used responsibly just like everything else, drinking, diving, parenting etc. :lol:

I have updated the latest Psip help file. There is lots of new functionality in the latest Psip.

Enjoy.

dogle

#379 Post by dogle »

With due respect to those who are worried about recording, I consider the ability to record to be very useful (especially when there is stuff e.g. numbers, code etc. to be written down, and particularly when voice transmission is imperfect).

There seems to be much confusion in the public mind over 'recording' v 'interception', (the latter being "bugging", and highly illegal in most places .... except when undertaken by the Secret State Police). Nowadays companies routinely put 'calls may be recorded' on their stationery (although in most places they don't have to say so), and I really don't have a problem if they choose to record what I say. (OTOH I am very much more actively concerned about their illegal but now commonplace phishing of personal data which I see as hugely more dangerous).

A pretty good rule for those worried about interception is never to convey on an 'open' line any information which might be abused by eavesdropping baddies. In the (unlikely) event that I wanted talk 'secret' stuff then the projected Psip encryption facility would be valuable, but personally I have no need whatever for 'being recorded' signals.

For me, getting Psip32 to work is much more important - to date all attempts have failed (including the 1.2 RC2 Lucid), with Psip32 complaining about audio setup failures and stalling before creating the /.psip.config file. Russoodle experienced similar difficulties at one stage but now
everything seems to be working a treat
Russoodle, do you still see the messages 'failure ... line ... 1294 1873 1994 etc.' when starting your working version from the CLI?

russoodle

#380 Post by russoodle »

dogle wrote:Russoodle, do you still see the messages 'failure ... line ... 1294 1873 1994 etc.' when starting your working version from the CLI?
No dogle, i haven't been using that version for several days now - been testing heaps of developments since then and Smokey01 has uploaded new pets for various Pups, including Lucid:

http://www.smokey01.com/menu/, click on 6th icon from your left, the red puppy phone, and take your pick :D
[i][color=Green][size=92]The mud-elephant, wading thru the sea, leaves no tracks..[/size][/color][/i]

nooby

#381 Post by nooby »

dogle wrote:With due respect to those who are worried about recording, I consider the ability to record to be very useful (especially when there is stuff e.g. numbers, code etc. to be written down, and particularly when voice transmission is imperfect).
Good that it actually warns.

What happens if one start up Bacon Recorder or Precorder or Mwave or whatever name it has.

Can one not record using them and then none know one have done it?
I mean so it does not help much even if it is very nice and friendly to warn first? People could still record from the sockets analogically even to an old Reel to Reel Tape Recorder?
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#382 Post by Lobster »

:? oh well . . .

not much success for me this week
apparently conference was down and a party line was set up
Briefly heard micko (sounded ready for Lobster fishing). a few people breaking up and Grant :)

Tsk tsk

For the record I tried 1.2pre - could not find 1.3 which is out?
then I tried 1.1 which is in slickpet Slacko rc and got through briefly with that . . .

So:
1. What is the iptel conference number
2. Where is 1.3

Thanks guys -

Old Lobster saying:
Sometimes you are the fisher
Sometimes the bait

. . . today I was sushi . . . :?

Next Sunday :)
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)

Stripe

#383 Post by Stripe »

Hi all

:oops: sorry I have been thinking again :oops:

instead of using a central sip server, could the network not be run P2P with each end node sending/receiving handshakes to establish who is on line(acting both as a client and a server), dont know how this would work with isp's that rotate isp addresses (yet). perhaps have a small database to show who is on line and their current addresses (maybe not as this would require a separate server). or getting a free web domain (something like dyndns so you had a permanent address the client could automatically contact to see if someone was on line)

cutting out a separate server would increase security with traffic not having to be routed through a third party and could be encrypted to ensure that intercepts would not work, and there would be no problems if the third party server went down.

hope this rubbish makes sense :lol:

just an idea

don

Lobster could you please pop into the future and see if this would work :lol:

Sylvander

#384 Post by Sylvander »

1. Installed...
Psip32-1.2RC2-Slacko
Within...
Slacko-5.29.5 RC (k2.6.37.6)
Running on 2003 hardware.

2. Attempting to setup the Puppy Phone for use:
(a) Sound seems to be working OK.
(b) The phone setup program auto-disabled the firewall.
(c) When attempting to use "Setup", once I'd typed my "Account" details, the program froze with blank dialog windows.
Actually, even before typing in any details, the window won't close.
And now they've gone blank and frozen.
Need to use "Crtl+Alt+backspace" and xwin to come back in.

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#385 Post by Lobster »

Lobster could you please pop into the future and see if this would work
In the future Puppy and PuppyPhone™ are recognized as works of art

Puppy Linux
The OS for a future
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)

jamesbond

#386 Post by jamesbond »

Sylvander wrote:(c) When attempting to use "Setup", once I'd typed my "Account" details, the program froze with blank dialog windows.
I just tested in Slacko RC++ - I used my binary compiled in Wary 5.0, it crashed just like Sylvander said. The function that crash is internal pjsip library's set-sound-device :shock:
Smokey01 will come up with one that is compiled properly in Slacko - hopefully this will mitigate the issue.
Fatdog64 forum links: [url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=117546]Latest version[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/ke8sn5H]Contributed packages[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/se8scrb]ISO builder[/url]

smokey01

#387 Post by smokey01 »

Psip32-1.2 has been released.

Versions for Lucid and Slacko have been complied and can be found at http://www.smokey01.com/menu under Psip Icon.

Yes, they are a little bigger as optimization has been removed for the moment.

Thanks to James

Sylvander

#388 Post by Sylvander »

1. Uninstalled the previous Psip mentioned above, then...

2. Installed the latest...
Psip32-1.2-Slacko.pet
Within...
Slacko-5.29-5 RC (k2.6.37.6)

3. Attempted to set up this new Puppy Phone version for use.
Previous problems were gone.
Was able to use "Setup" to enter all my details, and move on to the next step, where I had problems as follows:

4. Used "Add+" to add smokey01 as a buddy, which succeeded, but...
(a) His "Nickname" was displayed as "Puppy" [rather than the text I entered as his nickname], when I entered that text as "Category".
(b) Highlighted/selected the line and tried to use "Edit", but the program was/is frozen.
Won't "Remove" either.
(c) Am I doing something wrong?

dogle

#389 Post by dogle »

jamesbond wrote: The function that crash is internal pjsip library's set-sound-device
What logging tool is best for determining the cause of crashes like this?

Stripe

#390 Post by Stripe »

hi all

I am trying the new Psip32-1.2-slacko.pet from http://www.smokey01.com/menu/

I am still suffering from the slight problem I have encountered with all versions of psip (even ones I have compiled) I have been running Psip from terminal so that I could catch any error messages. (see attached files) (text files with a .gz extension added so that I could post, just remove the .gz and you will have a text file)

The problem.
when I am talking on psip, occasionally the line goes quiet but the call is still connected in the call window, after some trial and error I have discovered that if I check the hold box for that call, then uncheck it, the call returns to normal. (without dropping the call) (according to the terminal window I have just suspended the call and then made it active, there is no entry for the line actually going quiet)

hope this helps

Don

what I have tried so far: different versions of puppy, different versions of psip, different router (all lan connections), different pc,s (incase it is hardware related). have even portfowarded the routers on 5060/5061 all without sucsess

edited to add: have also tried disabling the firewalls (puppy and the routers) and have used all 3 connection methods (SNS Frisbee and the standard network wizzard)

edited to add (again): have even contacted ISP to check that my connection is ok and that it will work with the protocols that psip is using
Attachments
toggle hold box.gz
(180 Bytes) Downloaded 248 times
startup error messages.gz
(1.88 KiB) Downloaded 447 times

smokey01

#391 Post by smokey01 »

Sylvander wrote:1. Uninstalled the previous Psip mentioned above, then...

2. Installed the latest...
Psip32-1.2-Slacko.pet
Within...
Slacko-5.29-5 RC (k2.6.37.6)

3. Attempted to set up this new Puppy Phone version for use.
Previous problems were gone.
Was able to use "Setup" to enter all my details, and move on to the next step, where I had problems as follows:

4. Used "Add+" to add smokey01 as a buddy, which succeeded, but...
(a) His "Nickname" was displayed as "Puppy" [rather than the text I entered as his nickname], when I entered that text as "Category".
(b) Highlighted/selected the line and tried to use "Edit", but the program was/is frozen.
Won't "Remove" either.
(c) Am I doing something wrong?
Sylvander try starting without a .psip.conf file. There have been many changes and the later .psip.conf files are different, quite different.

In other words make sure you delete /root/.psip.conf before you run Psip32-1.2 for the first time.

smokey01

#392 Post by smokey01 »

Stripe I thought James had fixed the problem you are experiencing.

He did say it was a rough work around and wasn't happy with it.

Maybe he has some other ideas. I don't, for the moment.

Sorry

Stripe

#393 Post by Stripe »

hi all

@smokey01 dont worry about it, I am now running in console log level 6 to see if I can get more info for james

cheers

don

Stripe

#394 Post by Stripe »

hi all

I have managed to get two logs both ending when the sound went quiet (but still the call was not dropped and sound was enabled again after the hold checkbox was checked then unchecked)

again these are text files with .gz added, to read just remove the .gz and open in a text editor

Hope this helps

Don
Attachments
mode 6 log error 2.gz
(9.02 KiB) Downloaded 321 times
mode 6 log error 1.gz
(6.01 KiB) Downloaded 297 times

smokey01

#395 Post by smokey01 »

Stripe have you tried disabling TCP in the network tab under setup?