Puppy Phone - VOIP using SIP

Under development: PCMCIA, wireless, etc.
redandwhitestripes

#556 Post by redandwhitestripes »

Thanks again everyone, I'll look at the help file and get calling!
PSIP is an excellent example of what Puppy is all about: all the efficiency, all the features, none of the bloat.

EDIT: A few things that would be awesome to see at some point in the future:

a) A way to save and/or switch between SIP profiles. (For example, I'm registered with Mouthmun and Localphone)

b) A default, automatic firewall action each time PSIP starts

c) Compatibility with Pmusic for recorded calls. Right now I have to use GMplayer to playback calls.

Keep up the great work with this superb piece of software :D

KentC

#557 Post by KentC »

I'll have a look to see what I can setup with Psip. I want to actually setup a Brekeke Sip Server which I've been able to complete successfully. I'll post a tutorial how-to today for everyone. I would like to use such to route a call from a DID provider which I will attempt to make Psip work.

I'll keep posted on details.

Kent C.

zandarian

#558 Post by zandarian »

With some routers Puppy Phone (and Ekiga) seems not to be usable, at least without doing special things.

After reading http://wiki.ekiga.org/index.php/Manual# ... _firewalls I read http://wiki.ekiga.org/index.php/Enable_ ... g_manually (to be forwarded: 5000 to 5100 UDP, ... ports) and I finished in a page like http://portforward.com/english/routers/ ... /Ekiga.htm:
The router_brand router_model will not allow you to forward enough ports, to run Ekiga.
... and ...
You should try using the DMZ portion of this router if it is available. Alternatively you can try switching the router to bridged mode. You will need to contact your ISP to switch to bridged mode, so they can make the required changed on their end.
I don't see DMZ option and I don't wan't to contact my ISP (I'm not so interested in VoIP now).

When the router allows to forward enough ports, for example with http://portforward.com/english/routers/ ... /Ekiga.htm you can see graphically how to do it.

zandarian

#559 Post by zandarian »

(I use a Live USB with Slacko Puppy version 5.7. on a Toshiba Satellite laptop with a Speedtouch residential gateway -modem, router, ...-)

Finally, I can connect to my VoIP account unbinding the SIP ALG and the UDP 5060 port. This way:

Code: Select all

telnet xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
nat unbind application=SIP port=5060
config save
system reboot
Thanks to smokey01: http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 421#796421

I can call for example to the iptel.org utilities but I listen no sound at all (I've tried different Setup-Audio-Input/Output options). And if PuppyPhone is closed I can listen to my music files and record my voice via microphone (I've configured the audio channels running retrovol and alsamixer). But if PuppyPhone is running I cannot. I've used Ekiga in other Linux distro successfully, with the audio OK (without sound problems).

OscarTalks

#560 Post by OscarTalks »

Use sip:music@iptel.org to test for incoming audio and then sip:echo@iptel.org (and speak into the microphone) to test if audio is working both ways. You will need to make sure you have the correct playback and capture settings in retrovol or alsamixer. Also you need to make sure you are using the correct device settings in PSIP Puppy Phone.

Sometimes problems of no audio or one-way audio can be resolved by setting a stun server.

If you are using a sip provider it is probably best not to set up any port forwarding in your router. The sip protocol (along with the stun server if needed) is supposed to handle the opening of all the correct ports to establish the call.
Oscar in England

watchdog

#561 Post by watchdog »

My internet provider uses NAT. Using psip32 I have to set the public ip in /root/.psip.conf (I also use stunserver.org). Read your public ip at:

http://www.indirizzo-ip.com/whois.php

Say it is xx.yy.zz.kk. Put in /root/.psip.conf the following line before stunserver:

"public-ip":	"xx.yy.zz.kk",

zandarian

#562 Post by zandarian »

Thanks, OscarTalks and watchdog.

I've done all that you have proposed but the STUN server setting but I still have no audio in PSIP. I do have audio in Puppy Linux: I can play songs and record with the mic. But no sound at all in PSIP.

But it's not very important because I don't need VoIP. I was just testing it. And if I need VoIP I can use Ekiga (with sound OK) in other Linux distros.

smokey01

#563 Post by smokey01 »

Zandarian try fiddling with the sound settings in Psip aka Puppy Phone.
There are usually a number of choices.

zandarian

#564 Post by zandarian »

Thanks, smokey01

I did it, with no success.

But doesn't matter.

Regards

dogle

December solstice

#565 Post by dogle »

Bump .....

Season of goodwill and all that ..... technology permitting, I propose a meet in the Conference Room to celebrate the solstice, exchange Saturnalian greetings, and whatever.

http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/f ... ice%202014

This timing should give those in the Americas a more convenient chance to join in than was the case in our early 'official' conferences ... and perhaps rekindle some well-deserved interest in PuppyPhone.

peebee

#566 Post by peebee »

ImageLxPup = Puppy + LXDE
Main version used daily: LxPupSc; Assembler of UPups, ScPup & ScPup64, LxPup, LxPupSc & LxPupSc64

smokey01

#567 Post by smokey01 »

Although this topic has been very quiet for some time now, Psip has been upgraded to version 1.41. This version allows multiple configurations.

Read about it in the April 2017 Puppy Linux Newsletter. Link to the newsletter is on my signature below this post.

OscarTalks

#568 Post by OscarTalks »

In the source file psip.glade - line 319
I find that increasing the default height to at least 370 allows the "Remove" button to appear nicely in the vertical column in the main GUI rather than appearing as an arrow with the button popping out on the right. I usually give it a little bit more, 400 or so, just to allow some breathing space.

PSIP 1.41 (0c3150ce6d) builds without problems in Wheezy. I used pjproject-1.14.2 and osxcart-1.1

However I did try compiling in Stretch and it gave an error.
My Stretch is now remastered to some degree including a recompile of glib and it is a highly experimental WoofCE build in the first place.
I wonder if anyone has been able to compile PSIP in Stretch?

psip.c: In function ‘on_record_call_toggled’:
psip.c:1055:4: error: this ‘if’ clause does not guard... [-Werror=misleading-indentation]
    if (psip_state->is_recording)
    ^~
psip.c:1057:5: note: ...this statement, but the latter is misleadingly indented as if it is guarded by the ‘if’
     notify_all_active_calls(g_strdup_printf("NOTICE: %s has started recording the conversation.",gtk_entry_get_text(psip_state->account_sip_url_field)));
     ^~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
psip.c: In function ‘setup_window_icon’:
psip.c:1309:2: warning: ‘gdk_pixbuf_new_from_inline’ is deprecated [-Wdeprecated-declarations]
  app_icon = gdk_pixbuf_new_from_inline (-1, psip_icon, FALSE, NULL);
  ^~~~~~~~
In file included from /usr/include/gdk-pixbuf-2.0/gdk-pixbuf/gdk-pixbuf.h:34:0,
                 from /usr/include/gtk-2.0/gdk/gdkpixbuf.h:37,
                 from /usr/include/gtk-2.0/gdk/gdkcairo.h:28,
                 from /usr/include/gtk-2.0/gdk/gdk.h:33,
                 from /usr/include/gtk-2.0/gtk/gtk.h:32,
                 from /usr/include/osxcart/osxcart/rtf.h:20,
                 from psip.c:15:
/usr/include/gdk-pixbuf-2.0/gdk-pixbuf/gdk-pixbuf-core.h:355:12: note: declared here
 GdkPixbuf* gdk_pixbuf_new_from_inline (gint          data_length,
            ^~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
psip.c: In function ‘main’:
psip.c:1332:2: warning: ‘g_thread_init’ is deprecated [-Wdeprecated-declarations]
  g_thread_init(NULL);
  ^~~~~~~~~~~~~
In file included from /usr/include/glib-2.0/glib.h:107:0,
                 from /usr/include/osxcart/osxcart/rtf.h:19,
                 from psip.c:15:
/usr/include/glib-2.0/glib/deprecated/gthread.h:265:10: note: declared here
 void     g_thread_init                   (gpointer vtable);
          ^~~~~~~~~~~~~
cc1: all warnings being treated as errors
<builtin>: recipe for target 'psip.o' failed
make: *** [psip.o] Error 1
# 
Attachments
psip-1.41.jpg
PSIP 1.41 compiles and works in Wheezy
(96.23 KiB) Downloaded 356 times
Oscar in England

CatDude

#569 Post by CatDude »

Hello Oscar
Error Message wrote:cc1: all warnings being treated as errors
I've seen that error message before mate.

Try changing line 17 of the psip Makefile
from this:

CFLAGS  := -g -O0 -Wall -Werror \
	   -Wno-error=deprecated-declarations -Werror=implicit-function-declaration \
	   -Werror=implicit-int $(GTK_CFLAGS) $(PJPROJECT_CFLAGS) $(OSXCART_CFLAGS) $(CFLAGS)
to this:

CFLAGS  := -g -O0 -Wall -Wno-error=deprecated-declarations -Werror=implicit-function-declaration \
	   -Werror=implicit-int $(GTK_CFLAGS) $(PJPROJECT_CFLAGS) $(OSXCART_CFLAGS) $(CFLAGS)
Then try building it again.

Hope this helps
CatDude
[img]http://www.smokey01.com/CatDude/.temp/sigs/acer-futile.gif[/img]

OscarTalks

#570 Post by OscarTalks »

Hello CatDude,

Thanks for the advice. With the modification to the Makefile it does build to completion. There are some warnings along the way including the one near the top which showed as an error before. I don't get those in the earlier Puppies but I do have a binary which is the main thing. Running it from terminal produces a lot of chatter but again that is not necessarily anything to be concerned about.

I found I had to increase the width of the main gui as well as the height and also I increased the height of the call window to unsquash a couple of buttons, line 3321 of psip.glade

I still have your script which kills it if hung or running else starts it and I have included PSIP-1.41 into my Stretch remaster with my menu entry calling the script. I will conduct some tests with it over time. Thanks again.
Oscar in England

foxpup

#571 Post by foxpup »

OscarTalks wrote:My Stretch is now remastered to some degree including a recompile of glib and it is a highly experimental WoofCE build in the first place.
I have included PSIP-1.41 into my Stretch remaster with my menu entry calling the script. I will conduct some tests with it over time.
Thanks Oscar. I don't think your build looks highly experimental now, it is probably the best Puppy around now.
Anyway, I tried your PSIP Puppy Phone 1.41. It is my first try at sip and it works! :D
I use a sip account on iptel.org. I want to mention that I do need the STUN server stun.iptel.org.
I read in the help file that iptel.org does not need it. So that is wrong in my case. I am behind a NAT at home.