A true concern about the very future of Puppylinux

What features/apps/bugfixes needed in a future Puppy
puppyiso

#31 Post by puppyiso »

Well, well.. I had to log in to type in.

8-bit, PCs will continue to do its programming work but how many of computer users would do programming even for a hobby?

What's not possible today with tablets doesn't mean that they can not evolve into programming tool some day.

amigo, the whole point is that some day x86 might be cease to be produced and ARM(or other new) would dominate the market and thus we get a limited supply of x86(no up grade).

In this scenario, we have to have Puppy ready for it. We don't get anything new or different, just puppy surviving on other CPU(s).

That's what we get.

nooby, I have always laughed at the quality of Chinese products but some are good and cheap. I or we just take advantage of some good ones.

There are tablets with detachable keyboard.

Even Apple assembles iPhone in Foxcon, a Chinese factory. And makes 300% profit.

Steve Jobs eliminated keyboard and mouse by using touch screen and our fingers.

But we need all those back in production work. Right now it's possible.
Again, what we need is Puppy on ARM. That's the point. At least we can "take puppy for walk"

borgbucolic, yes, you are right. We need two-headed engineers.
I know it is difficult job. Otherwise, I wouldn't have posted this topic in the first place.

Where there is a will, there is a way. Isn't virtualization answer?

Imagine oneday we have puppies everywhere. People not only enjoy Android but also perfectly legal puppy and pets, sfses everywhere they go.

Besides, being chained to either desktop or stationed notebooks takes away our freedom of movement. Tablet is a nice idea.
Isn't that worth fighting for? Isn't that worth dying for?(quated from the Matrix :lol: )

By the way, I wish Steve get his health back and continue to surprise us.
Chairman Lee(samsung) is over 70 and still healthy.
Someone like Steve shouldn't walk away that soon.

puppyiso

#32 Post by puppyiso »

Come to think of it, it's touch touch everywhere.(I know it's got litgtle to do with this topic but..)

Last time I went Seoul, Korea, subway, restaurant, public offices, schools just everywhere people are using touch screens.

Phones, pads are all touch now. (even the future windows 8 :lol: ). Besides production work, it is certainly easier and more natural computing.

Touch is like evolution of DOS to GUI(windows 95 and McIntosh) inspired by XEROX

That's another reason Puppy should be changed. It's possible in windows now by adding touch sensitive glass sheet on the top of any monitor. Please google for it.

nooby

#33 Post by nooby »

Come to think of it, it's touch touch everywhere.
That is now 2011 but already within a year or two them most likely go over to Body Gesture you don't have to touch at all you just wave the hand or hands and it knows what chars and such you want to do :)
And no screen either. It project the screen on any surface?
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though

amigo

#34 Post by amigo »

The matter of which CPU is used is immaterial. Linux runs on more stuff than anything else, so we'll always have the linux option.

puppyiso, what I wanted to do was provoke your thinking. The type and size of the user interface is still a big bottleneck. Even with all this new stuff, there are still people programming for the new stuff. No programmer or even writer will ever like using a touchpad. Sure, writers would and do like to use a 'dictation program' -but the guy who proffreads it is not gonna use a 3-inch screen and touchpad to check and correct it.

My main two points were:
1. The OS you will have or want running on that small portable device has so little in common with puppy, that there is no good reason to base a new OS for the device on puppy.
2. Larger user interface components and really powerful and versatile 'boxen' are not going away soon. Nobody programs and compiles components for small devices on that device. They use a nice, fast -probably x86(32 or 64 bit) machine to cross-compile for that platform. Scientists, stock-market traders, graphics artists, etc. -can you see the day when they won't demand large screens, a keyboard and a mouse?

There are other CPU architectures that could replace x86 -look at the PPC cell processors used in a few super-computers and in those game consoles. It's just a matter of them being compatible with other hardware and being competitive on price, performance, power consumption and heat generation perspectives. If one ever does out-market the x86 crowd, you can be sure that it is already able to run linux. So what's the problem? Just what part of puppy do think is so hard to reproduce on some other platform -or what exactly is so useful about puppy that you aren't seeing on these other devices and platforms? What is missing?

nooby

#35 Post by nooby »

amigo I trust you are right.

So what could it be that Puppyiso are looking for?

Sure he has to find words that is true for him but suppose us humans have at least something common. I only wild guess. Why did he chose his user name that way? He could have named himself Ubuntuiso or Debianiso pr Archiso or something. Slacko maybe :)

Do I make too much out of his name maybe. Could be just a random choice. I could ahve used the name Nobodyspecial I guess that is as true as Nooby

Now maybe he chose that name because he is like a "Fan" of Puppy Linux.

He likes something about how Puppy do things.

I agree with you that there are other linux like Debian that already knows how to do things in ARM CPU.

So why are we not Debianiso or DebianFan or DebianLuvr and so on?

So Puppyiso what is it about Puppy that is so different from Debian?

Why can you not just feel good about using Debian instead and join their forum and them tell you how to boot up on a "pad" whatever? :)

Guys I will now try to boot Pussy Linux which is pure Debian Linux so wish me good luck! I need that.

technosaurus

#36 Post by technosaurus »

Touch is horrid for editing documents. Typing, selecting text, etc...
It also forces changes to the UI that limit the amount of data one can view on a single screen.
Most devs need the document editing for ... I don't know ... maybe development... and are bothered with a UI that limits their abilities.

Solve those 2 issues and maybe it will go somewhere.

BTW I think tablets are just a step towards a dockable smartphone that _can_ be your full pc and change its UI depending on how it is docked or what devices are attached (either physically or wirelessly) which BTW should never pass the "obvious test" of a patent since in linux it is as simple as adding a udev rule for that device class that switches configuration & refreshed the desktop environment or switches UIs
Check out my [url=https://github.com/technosaurus]github repositories[/url]. I may eventually get around to updating my [url=http://bashismal.blogspot.com]blogspot[/url].

puppyiso

#37 Post by puppyiso »

Sure tablets don't have keyboard or mouse. But it is possible to attach them to. (detachable keyboard with touch was seen and joystick for iPad show the possibility of mouse)

I re-googled and now attaching some images from google showing keyboards.

However, the main point is ARM not keyboard.

By the way, nooby, my id is just an id. There is no meaning attach to it.
Please don't make fun of it.
Attachments
ipad-keyboard-dock.jpg
(40.81 KiB) Downloaded 875 times
ipad_n_board_ipad_dock_1.jpg
(41.22 KiB) Downloaded 886 times
ipad_accessory_4.jpg
(53.54 KiB) Downloaded 858 times
htc-evo-4g-hdmi-out.jpg
(42.21 KiB) Downloaded 869 times
accessory-lapdock.jpg
(57.17 KiB) Downloaded 858 times
7-inch-google-android-keyboard-1308036586-0.jpg
(56.27 KiB) Downloaded 484 times

puppyiso

#38 Post by puppyiso »

I am also attaching the photo of my use of bigger screen TV with input from my small netbook.

Screen size and keyboard input is not the problems. The problem is ARM which might be able to emulate x86 based Puppy on it.

Thank you, folks. I have heard enough.

Let's move onto something else. Uh.. something like the stock prices or the lunch menu, perhaps? (it's near lunch time now )
Attachments
small netboot to TV.jpg
(174.02 KiB) Downloaded 860 times

puppyiso

#39 Post by puppyiso »

I don't know how to spell but there is a thing called Wi-Di something.

From any notebook, you can see movies on TV. The function will be implemented to tablets sooner or later.

No need for HDMI or vga connectors.
Attachments
widi.JPG
(26.59 KiB) Downloaded 850 times

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#40 Post by Lobster »

WiDi
http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2357919,00.asp

Bluetooth keyboards should be compatible with most tabs
perhaps including the Kindle 4 (when available)

Any info on whether Kindle 4 will be Intel powered rather than ARM welcome
(making the Amazonian lab126 device more present-Puppy compatible)
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

nooby

#41 Post by nooby »

Sorry I should not make fun of your id. My bad. Sorry!

Now I do agree with you and we are not alone at all.

I have no link now but one guy whom the reporter saw as some expert said that in future he trusted that the standard smart phone will be the real computer that one use as the base for all kinds of computing but that one have help gadgets like keyboards and mouse and big screen and so on but the good thing that makes it the preferred computer is that it is always available. You already have it with you. One only have to make acessories that one can use anywhere one goes. Such are coming most likely.

Usb cable and program that allow the smartphone to be a wifi hub is a first step and others will follow. Maybe tablet pads will be used as portable screens too but the most practical is to only carry the smartphone and when you get to work then you sync to the "docking station" and when you get home you sync. to the gear you have at home.

One only need a portable keyboard with mouse if one are on a long travel but small such is not so difficult to find. Bluetooth or IR or a cable hub.

davec51

Desktops

#42 Post by davec51 »

I'm a writer. I use my desktop with Puppy 528 every day, with my research spread out around me. If I lost the use of my PC I'd have to go back to a typewriter (remember them?).

borgbucolic

Raspberry PI

#43 Post by borgbucolic »

Hey,

Has anyone had the chance to look at the "Raspberry PI" computer? I understand that it a micro computer using an ARM processor and running on Linux. It has been listed with a price point of $25.00.

nooby

#44 Post by nooby »

We maybe have two threads about it already? :)

AF Branden

#45 Post by AF Branden »

puppyiso wrote: the whole point is that some day x86 might be cease to be produced and ARM(or other new) would dominate the market and thus we get a limited supply of x86(no up grade).
I don't think puppy is going to be in any real danger just because we aren't getting into the smartphone/tablet hype... If this ever happens we can worry about it when the time comes. If ever.
Bligh wrote: Some of us still think phones are for talking.
I am one of those people. I also have never used a tablet and don't ever plan on using one.
[img]http://i56.tinypic.com/nwymax.png[/img]

borgbucolic

my bad

#46 Post by borgbucolic »

nooby wrote:We maybe have two threads about it already? :)
:oops: my bad. Thanks for the nice search links though.

onyakev

Raspberry Pi

#47 Post by onyakev »

http://www.raspberrypi.org/

"An ARM Linux Box"

http://www.raspberrypi.org/?page_id=43& ... ostid-3583

Talking about running Puppy (or not) on above Forum

James C

Re: Raspberry Pi

#48 Post by James C »

onyakev wrote:http://www.raspberrypi.org/

"An ARM Linux Box"

http://www.raspberrypi.org/?page_id=43& ... ostid-3583

Talking about running Puppy (or not) on above Forum
Let's just say that there isn't much interest in porting Puppy to ARM......I.agree with the earlier post,serious work can't really be done on a smartphone or tablet and it will be quite a while before that may change so no need to chase a fad.

nooby

#49 Post by nooby »

I know nothing so I am kind of lost :)
But as many others have realized it is extremely time consuming and headache to spend years on coding all those needed changes to make a Puppy on ARM and then them have already moved on to better CPU still a variant of ARM but not compatible with the old version we have.

So the better approach has to be to accept that the commercial "bodies" spend money on Devs to make custom made versions for each company and then the way we could go is to support those that "root" them and that way get something that is not Puppy but a usable product that move with the target so them are always just a few weeks or month delayed having a rooted version ROM to load.

Am I wrong? :)

raffy

Re: ARM Puppy

#50 Post by raffy »

James C wrote:Let's just say that there isn't much interest in porting Puppy to ARM......I.agree with the earlier post,serious work can't really be done on a smartphone or tablet and it will be quite a while before that may change so no need to chase a fad.
Plus, x86 is moving to tablets, see for example the AMD Fusion processors.
Puppy user since Oct 2004. Want FreeOffice? [url=http://puppylinux.info/topic/freeoffice-2012-sfs]Get the sfs (English only)[/url].