How do I install the slmodem puppyget?

Booting, installing, newbie
dr1445

How do I install the slmodem puppyget?

#1 Post by dr1445 »

Greetings Forum,
i got a dell gx1 350mgz as scrap, turns out it runs fine. i have a smartlink modem and tried to update the sl with puppyget. i used a serial modem to get online and do the apt-get. The package loaded in /root/my-applications as a tgz. The instructions said to reboot which produced no results. Should the package be unzipped? if so whats the path. i did not see tkzip in setaction. Please educate a new user.
Regards
Dave

BarryK
Puppy Master

#2 Post by BarryK »

When you run the Modem Wizard, do you see a button labelled "ttySL0"?

-- if so, it's there.

dr1445

#3 Post by dr1445 »

yes i ran the wizard. it did detect the smartlink but it still would not work. in the help section it advised a download to make the smartlink work. if found the link to the patch in pupget. i have problems with the patch install. the first time around the patch installed as a tgz and that went nowhere. i deleted the first patch and ran it once more. this time it seemed to install ok till i checked a link to a boot file. the slmodem file was there with a big red error sign attached. if i download without pupget it goes to tkzip, where i extracted the files and dragged them to the desk top. next move please.

BarryK
Puppy Master

#4 Post by BarryK »

The problem is, I'm running a "pre-1.0.4" version myself, that has a different setup for slmodem, so I can't check what you are reporting.

I think, if i recall, if the Wizard showed the ttySL0 button, then everything was already installed and the "patch" as you called it wasn't needed.
So, I don't know why it didn't work.

You may have to wait until 1.0.4, as I have tidied up a few aspects of modem handling, then try again...

...or, get yourself a true hardware serial modem! well worth it, and plenty of them cheap second hand.

dr1445

#5 Post by dr1445 »

Thanks, i have a serial modem that works great. i got that smartlink for around $10 and it worked great with some linux distros. it is a case of more machines than modems. i have signed up for dsl, so if ever i can get a network running that problem will be solved.
also i had the thought to use puppy and some older machines for internet cafe run from satellite and a network. any remarks on the subject would be
appricated.
regards
dave