Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Wed 13 Dec 2017, 18:57
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » House Training » HOWTO ( Solutions )
Remastering a frugal install
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
Page 2 of 3 [38 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3 Next
e_mattis

PostPosted: Sun 11 May 2014, 23:12    Post subject:  

hey ton,

Have the same problem with one of my current projects. Basically, there's more in the /root you are copying than there is room for.

From what I understand, there's not enough room either in the personal storage space allotted, or on the HDD itself.

you would be surprised how much room it takes to remaster. The first thing I would do is reset the personal storage (open the menu > Utility>resize personal storage file) and set it high; may take a couple of times doing this if you have a large enough hard drive.

Now my question here is what size HDD do you have and is this a frugal instal? Is it the only install on the HDD? what puppy are you using?

If the personal storage file expansion doesn't work, you might want to clone the HDD to a larger one and then try again. you can do this in the console using the "dd" command.

Hope it helps!

E
greengeek

PostPosted: Mon 12 May 2014, 04:45    Post subject:  

Another possibility is to do remastering manually in a "live" session (with no installation and no savefile) and fit a usb stick configured with Gparted as a "Linux swap" partition - this effectively increases the ram size and allows heaps more /root storage. Then just save the output .sfs on HDD or wherever you have room.
rufwoof

PostPosted: Mon 12 May 2014, 05:15    Post subject:  

Quote:
Another possibility is to do remastering manually in a "live" session (with no installation and no savefile)

As I run in LiveCD mode all of the time that's what I do, and just select ramdisk as the working directory. You do of course have to copy the puppylivecd directory or CD iso afterwards to a more permanent storage (HDD) otherwise its lost at reboot/shutdown.
rm.png
 Description   
 Filesize   45.44 KB
 Viewed   875 Time(s)

rm.png

ton

PostPosted: Mon 12 May 2014, 18:29    Post subject:  

Mattis and all,
I am using puppy precise.
Since it is frugal install, i believe i need save file which is limited to 2GB.
I can't increase more than that. (havent' tried though) but, people say that it will cause error if it is bigger than 2GB.

Or, do you suggest that if i use full install, there is no such issue? as it is not limited to 2GB? I install it to usb 32gb, yet it uses only 8GB.
Perhaps, i try with full install.
I think this is the limitation of frugal install.
If the error is caused by not enough space, then several re-mastering will solve the problem.

thanks
nic007

PostPosted: Mon 12 May 2014, 20:26    Post subject:  

Deleted
Last edited by nic007 on Mon 12 May 2014, 20:39; edited 1 time in total
nic007

PostPosted: Mon 12 May 2014, 20:37    Post subject:  

ton wrote:
Mattis and all,
I am using puppy precise.
Since it is frugal install, i believe i need save file which is limited to 2GB.
I can't increase more than that. (havent' tried though) but, people say that it will cause error if it is bigger than 2GB.

Or, do you suggest that if i use full install, there is no such issue? as it is not limited to 2GB? I install it to usb 32gb, yet it uses only 8GB.
Perhaps, i try with full install.
I think this is the limitation of frugal install.
If the error is caused by not enough space, then several re-mastering will solve the problem.

thanks

ton - Did you check on the other thread where I gave my answer (and somebody else also responded with tips)? By the way there is no limitation to the size of the save file UNLESS your partition is formatted to FAT32 (in which case the save file can't be bigger than 4GB) or FAT16 (in which it can't be bigger than 2GB). Your hard drive obviously needs to be big enough to handle the size of your save file. Also - a full install will waste even more space as the base sfs will be decompressed to more than 3 times its size.
Quick solution if you can't manage to do the remaster. If you still have the pet files for the programs, convert it to sfs files with a utility called pets2sfs. Then boot these files at bootup with your base frugal install. You then don't need to install any programs, your base sfs will stay the same and you can use a very small save file for your personal settings.
ton

PostPosted: Mon 12 May 2014, 22:33    Post subject:  

oo, ok thanks Nic,
this helps a lot.
I will keep mine in frugal.
ton

PostPosted: Mon 12 May 2014, 22:39    Post subject:  

but, Nic,
the original program is not in pet.
Rather such as library boost, that i need to use with eclipse c++
After i install it takes huge space as big as 500Mb.
So, remaster is the only way. & increase space. i will since i dont use fat 32, i think i use default.

thanks
nic007

PostPosted: Tue 13 May 2014, 02:58    Post subject:  

ton wrote:
but, Nic,
the original program is not in pet.
Rather such as library boost, that i need to use with eclipse c++
After i install it takes huge space as big as 500Mb.
So, remaster is the only way. & increase space. i will since i dont use fat 32, i think i use default.

thanks

ton - so how did you install that program? Anyway, a quick search and I found a pet of boost c++ here: http://dotpups.de/puppy4/dotpups/Libraries/. Maybe of use to you?
ton

PostPosted: Wed 14 May 2014, 19:21    Post subject:  

I know that one is old, doesnt have the latest function that i need.
I install it manually, as instructed on its website.
It's working but it seems to take huge space.

that's why i remaster it, try to get some free space.
nic007

PostPosted: Wed 14 May 2014, 19:43    Post subject:  

ton wrote:
I know that one is old, doesnt have the latest function that i need.
I install it manually, as instructed on its website.
It's working but it seems to take huge space.

that's why i remaster it, try to get some free space.

Which directory did you install it to. How did it go with the remaster?
slavvo67

PostPosted: Thu 15 May 2014, 12:29    Post subject:  

I'm not quite sure what you're looking to do but if it's just taking a live CD, adding some pets and remastering by creating a new .iso with the changes, then this should be helpful.

If you are remastering a live cd, most puppies have a Remaster Puppy Live CD option (or maybe just remaster puppy on some). Mine happens to be under Menu - Setup.

First, of course, install the pets / packages that you want in your final remaster. Maybe make sure they all work the way you intended before remastering. Then Choose the Remaster Puppy Live CD and follow the instructions. Read the questions when they come up carefully on the remaster menu. 1. Make sure you have your live CD in the drive because it needs to read files from it. 2. After numerous questions (where I hit no to most of them), it asks if you want to create a new cd now. I always choose no and choose yes on the next question (make an .iso file). Then I just burn the new .iso to a CD using one of the utilities on my puppy (like Pburn).

I hope that helps.

Best,

Slavvo
ton

PostPosted: Thu 15 May 2014, 18:40    Post subject:  

hi Nic,
Boost requires to be installed in /usr.
So, that's why it occupies some space in your personal data save file.
After remastering, i see taht my personal space data becomes full again.
some of the software has to be installed in specific place such as java otherwise it won't work.

Slav,
The main purpose is not the CD actually rather personal data save file to be free. And, according to the instruction, i have to recopy files from /root. But, it fails as you see from my post above.
nic007

PostPosted: Thu 15 May 2014, 19:47    Post subject:  

ton wrote:
hi Nic,
some of the software has to be installed in specific place such as java otherwise it won't work.

Slav,
The main purpose is not the CD actually rather personal data save file to be free. And, according to the instruction, i have to recopy files from /root. But, it fails as you see from my post above.

If you did the remaster correctly, the contents of your old save file should now be merged into the new, remastered sfs and you can get rid of the old save file completely. So what happens if you boot the new remastered sfs without any save file? BTW, you will have to delete the old sfs and old save or rename them to ensure that the wrong files are not booted at bootup (you can do this by putting a digit at the beginning of the file name).
Also - the idea is to install all your programs first and then do the remaster because obviously if you are going to install again, you are going to need a big save file again. So in your case either do that OR use SFS add-on files for the programs you want to use because then you do not have to install them and they sit in your /mnt/home directory ready to be used.
scsijon

PostPosted: Sun 14 Sep 2014, 22:58    Post subject:  

nic007 wrote:
ton wrote:
hi Nic,

Slav,

If you did the remaster correctly, the contents of your old save file should now be merged into the new, remastered sfs and you can get rid of the old save file completely. So what happens if you boot the new remastered sfs without any save file? BTW, you will have to delete the old sfs and old save or rename them to ensure that the wrong files are not booted at bootup (you can do this by putting a digit at the beginning of the file name).
Also - the idea is to install all your programs first and then do the remaster because obviously if you are going to install again, you are going to need a big save file again. So in your case either do that OR use SFS add-on files for the programs you want to use because then you do not have to install them and they sit in your /mnt/home directory ready to be used.

folks, have you any extra sfs's mounted or loaded? If so, unload them, then reboot and try again, I did find some sfs's don't 'play' well when remastering for some reason.

BTW, a test I did some few years ago when remaster was new showed it needed about 5 times the space of the expected remastered cd contents uncompressed to always work and not the compressed space.

regards

Page 2 of 3 [38 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3 Next
 Forum index » House Training » HOWTO ( Solutions )
Jump to: