Fixing Fido..

Under development: PCMCIA, wireless, etc.
Keisha

request to put users under home in Puppy

#91 Post by Keisha »

01micko wrote:[...OTOH, I could also make it a choice. "Do you want to have fido live in /root(default) or his own home? There are advantages either way and draw backs either way. Bla.. bla.." ...
Not sure if this is germane, but, over in the Other Distros thread, I've been singing the praises of a Fedora spin named Korora, and pipe-dreaming of a FedoraPup or FedoraDog, and today mcewanw chimed in to agree it would be a desireable thing. It is a Fedora convention that all users other than root go under /home. So, making it a Puppy convention as well might nudge the oven switch toward on. Just sayin'.
“A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer.â€￾ --Bruce Lee

bh56

Not Using Fido or Spot

#92 Post by bh56 »

I´ve not had any use for either spot or fido until now.
I´m trying to run a series of scripts collectively called webdl that can be used to download streamed Australian TV like iview.
Its from https://delx.net.au/git/webdl.
Webdl depends on a program called livestreamer.
I´ve downloaded the program livestreamer from the ppm but I can´t get it to run as root.
If I change the user to spot or fido, livestreamer now runs but I get this error:
OSError: [Errno 13] Permission denied: '/root/.cache/webdl'
I´ve changed the permissions to ¨anyone¨ but the program still fails.
Using Linux Mint 18 with a non-root account the program runs fine.
As a programming noob a non-root account in this instance would be useful.
I´m using Lspup_Xenial.