5.2.8 upgrade makes Opera unusable!

Using applications, configuring, problems
Whitesnow

5.2.8 upgrade makes Opera unusable!

#1 Post by Whitesnow »

Hi everybody,

I'm pasting terminal output. Please, note: I always use to start Opera as spot. As root, Opera works.
I checked permissions for opera bin and its directories (parents, too): read for all. I can't understand.

Thanks in advance for your help! :)

# su spot -c opera
/usr/local/bin/opera: line 4: /usr/local/lib/opera/opera: Permission denied
/usr/local/bin/opera: line 4: exec: /usr/local/lib/opera/opera: cannot execute: Permission denied
#
[b][i][color=darkred][size=134]*.* Snow *.*[/size][/color][/i][/b] :wink:

nooby

#2 Post by nooby »

I'm on a 5.2.5 Puppy and can't read well on Rebol windows.
Are you still using 525?

Using spot is not officially supported is it? I mean we have many threads where I and others have tried to get good descriptions on how it works and I do get the impression that very few are motivated to test how to get everything to work.

Same with Fido but Fido has more official support than Spot has?
Barry did mention Fido as a new thing in Wary but that he himself have no time to test out all the implications and that he hoped others would get interested.

What if you are that person. You using spot and realizing that Opera does not work.

Could you maybe try to test later versions or latest of Lupu 528 doing a frugal install that does not reuse the old pupsave so do not an upgrade of the 525.
Do a new install beside the old one and save the new one as Fido instead of Admin and test how Opera act inside that kind of Fido. Use an Opera that is compatible with the kernel in 528?

That way you get perspective on how spot and fido differ.

I know too little but Barry would not recommend Fido over Spot if not Fido had a greater chance to be flexible enough to run Opera or any other Browser?

Remember me a Noob so take the above text for what it is. Are you acive in the new thread 01micko has about Fido? I would try to get active there. where else to find people interested?
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though

Whitesnow

Opera matter: 528 vs. 525

#3 Post by Whitesnow »

nooby wrote:Are you still using 525?
As in object, I upgraded my everyday Puppy (on my USB key and EEEPC there is still 525, because Opera problem). Now, I have to use my other browsers on 528 PC one.

About spot, now: I always use it for Internet purposes, for every application. I don't know anything about fido.

You ask me about kernel and Opera: 525 and 528 use the same, so if browser works on 525, would work also on 528, I suppose.

Please, note: on a fresh 528 Puppy, Opera works, but all my configurations are in lupusave, so I can't begin an other one only for this problem.

About testing: I hadn't follow Barry thread. How can I help?

Thanks for your reply. :)
[b][i][color=darkred][size=134]*.* Snow *.*[/size][/color][/i][/b] :wink: