newest kernel 3.1.8 & 3.0.16 test on lupu528

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
wuxiandianzi

Re: bug-fix

#121 Post by wuxiandianzi »

jim3630 wrote:
wuxiandianzi wrote: Thank you, This is a pet to fix quickpet.
wuxiandianzi,

thanks for the quickpet fix pet. will try it out once back in 3.1.0

ithe upgrade pets mesa and xorg_high had poor performance due to the kernel?
Thank you, This distro is the same as offical lupu_528 except kernel.
mesa and xorg_high has not be updated. and it should not have much influence on kernel. The main reason is Xorg I think.The new kernel should better support for display.

wuxiandianzi

Re: calling and using Puppy bootmanager

#122 Post by wuxiandianzi »

otropogo wrote:Just now I was suprised on booting Puppy 5.2.8 to have a popup called "Bootmanager: SFS files" appear on the desktop. I've only seen this popup once before, when trying out one of the other Puppy versions, and I have no idea what makes it appear.

The only thing unusual about this boot up is that I had just finished booting with a different savefile, on another partition, and had changed the name of the savefile running when the bootmanager appeared.

In the left hand column of the bootmanager two sfs files were listed:

puppy_slacko_5.3.sfs
puppy_wary_5.2.sfs

both of these are in the "home" partition.

What would have happend if I had added one of these to the right column?

lupuk310_528.sfs, which is in another partition, was not listed.

If it had been on the home partition, would it have been listed also?

And if I had moved it to the right column, as the bootmanager suggests, then what would happen?

Would the effect take place only on the next reboot? If I had the intrd and vmlinuz files bundled with this sfs in the same folder with the sfs file, would these be loaded too on reboot, or would it be a godawful mess?

And most mysteriously, what is it that causes the SFS Bootmanager to appear as described, and how does it determine which sfs files to display.?

I note that the two displayed are both in the root directory of the home partition. I also have Puppy_4.3.1.sfs in a pubsave folder in that partition, and it was not displayed in the list. Does the boot manager only display sfs files located in the root directory of the home partition?

Update: Since I already had my savefile backed up in order to try the lupu 5.28 instant update 002, I decided to play with the 3.10 kernel sfs as well.

I moved the 310.sfs file, vmlinuz and initrd to the root directory of my home partition, and got the sfs bootmanager popup again. This time, as anticipated, it also showed the 310.sfs in the left column. I then "added" it to the right column, and clicked on OK. Xmanager then reset. Whether this had any effect or not, I couldn't tell. Is there a quick way to tell which kernel is running?

Will now reboot to see what happens.
Thank you.
I think you have been used Bootmanager to load xxx.SFS and you have saved pupsave file.
When you boot this distro the script load your pupsave file and find other sfs files in you "home" folder. so Bootmanager appear.
Note that puppy_XXX.sfs is main filesystem and it has been loaded into tmpfs. you should not load it twice. so it will appear in left column.

otropogo

Re: calling and using Puppy bootmanager

#123 Post by otropogo »

wuxiandianzi wrote:
otropogo wrote:Just now I was suprised on booting Puppy 5.2.8 to have a popup called "Bootmanager: SFS files" appear on the desktop. I've only seen this popup once before, when trying out one of the other Puppy versions, and I have no idea what makes it appear.

The only thing unusual about this boot up is that I had just finished booting with a different savefile, on another partition, and had changed the name of the savefile running when the bootmanager appeared.

In the left hand column of the bootmanager two sfs files were listed:

puppy_slacko_5.3.sfs
puppy_wary_5.2.sfs

both of these are in the "home" partition.

What would have happend if I had added one of these to the right column?

lupuk310_528.sfs, which is in another partition, was not listed.

If it had been on the home partition, would it have been listed also?

And if I had moved it to the right column, as the bootmanager suggests, then what would happen?

Would the effect take place only on the next reboot? If I had the intrd and vmlinuz files bundled with this sfs in the same folder with the sfs file, would these be loaded too on reboot, or would it be a godawful mess?

And most mysteriously, what is it that causes the SFS Bootmanager to appear as described, and how does it determine which sfs files to display.?

I note that the two displayed are both in the root directory of the home partition. I also have Puppy_4.3.1.sfs in a pubsave folder in that partition, and it was not displayed in the list. Does the boot manager only display sfs files located in the root directory of the home partition?

Update: Since I already had my savefile backed up in order to try the lupu 5.28 instant update 002, I decided to play with the 3.10 kernel sfs as well.

I moved the 310.sfs file, vmlinuz and initrd to the root directory of my home partition, and got the sfs bootmanager popup again. This time, as anticipated, it also showed the 310.sfs in the left column. I then "added" it to the right column, and clicked on OK. Xmanager then reset. Whether this had any effect or not, I couldn't tell. Is there a quick way to tell which kernel is running?

Will now reboot to see what happens.
Thank you.
I think you have been used Bootmanager to load xxx.SFS and you have saved pupsave file.
When you boot this distro the script load your pupsave file and find other sfs files in you "home" folder. so Bootmanager appear.
Note that puppy_XXX.sfs is main filesystem and it has been loaded into tmpfs. you should not load it twice. so it will appear in left column.
Afraid I'm not following your explanation.

After adding your kernel 31-_528 to the right column of the sfs boot manager., I rebooted, but noticed no difference. But presumably the changes to bootmanager are in the save file now.

Just now, after reading your reply, I looked for the tmpfs folder you mention above, but couldn't find it. Where would it be? I did look in the initrd folder, and there is the following line in Distro-specs:
DISTRO_KERNEL_PET='linux_kernel-2.6.33.2-tickless_smp_patched-L3.pet'
(I'm guessing this refers to the lupu multimedia instant update pet #2, that I installed last night).

but I see no reference to the 310_528 sfs, which suggests that the kernel 310 sfs wasn't loaded
I'm guessing that the sfs bootmanager can't work with a LiveCD boot, since the loader will always use the vmlinuz and intrd files it finds on the CD. Am I on the right track?
otropogo@gmail.com facebook.com/otropogo

James C

#124 Post by James C »

Pretty boring day so I put together a Slacko-530-k-3.10 to play with.Working well...internet,sound and display all good on initial boot. PPM and Slickpet both working correctly.
Manually rebuilt the official Slacko iso instead of using Woof....seems to work better for me.
Attachments
Slacko-530-k-3.10.png
(20.27 KiB) Downloaded 1846 times

ETP

k3.1.0--on--lupu_528

#125 Post by ETP »

Wuxiandianzi
Lupu 528 with k3.1.0 is now my number one pup ! Tributes (with audio) can be found in my signature panel below.

Many thanks for this pup and the latest NVIDIA pet.
Regards ETP
[url=http://tinyurl.com/pxzq8o9][img]https://s17.postimg.cc/tl19y14y7/You_Tube_signature80px.png[/img][/url]
[url=http://tinyurl.com/kennels2/]Kennels[/url]

taca0

#126 Post by taca0 »

pet file for the 3.1.0 kernel ?

Thanks!

otropogo

USB3 support in lupu528_k3.07, Slacko_5.3,Slacko_5.29.6

#127 Post by otropogo »

Have just tried mounting my 3TB Goflex Desk USB3 drive in various recent Puppies:

lupu 5.28 (with the USB3 pet) No USB3, USB2 read only

Slacko_5.3 - No USB3, USB2 OK

Lupu528_K3.07 - USB3 OK, no ethernet or no wireless found

Slacko_5.29.6 - USB3 mountable but not hot plugable, USB2 hot plugable, internet connection OK
otropogo@gmail.com facebook.com/otropogo

wuxiandianzi

sorry!

#128 Post by wuxiandianzi »

Sorry to everyone for late reply!
I am busy this weekend and I am spend all my time to build a new livecd "puppy", which are compiled by myself from sources. It is a so big plan. I do not know when will be finished...............................
otropogo wrote:
I am sure this kernel 3.1.0 and 3.0.8 support USB3.
James C wrote:
Thank you very much for this test!
ETP wrote:
Best wishes!
taca0 wrote:
A pet file can be used by woof. But you can not install it in puppy. because you need initrd-3.1.0.gz and vmlinuz-3.1.0. if so you can test it.

Thanks to all !

puppyluvr

#129 Post by puppyluvr »

:D Hello,
Still testing 3.1.0..
Solved the strobelight wireless light effect by enabling it during boot so it was on when the desktop comes up..

Very fast, got sound on boot, everything so far works...
So...
Now I need either a working ndiswrapper or an rt5390 wireless driver...
Or a link to the .devx and kernel sources so I can build them myself...
Thank you and good work on the new kernels, once again...
8)
Close the Windows, and open your eyes, to a whole new world
I am Lead Dog of the
Puppy Linux Users Group on Facebook
Join us!

Puppy since 2.15CE...

wuxiandianzi

re

#130 Post by wuxiandianzi »

puppyluvr wrote::D Hello,
Still testing 3.1.0..
Solved the strobelight wireless light effect by enabling it during boot so it was on when the desktop comes up..

Very fast, got sound on boot, everything so far works...
So...
Now I need either a working ndiswrapper or an rt5390 wireless driver...
Or a link to the .devx and kernel sources so I can build them myself...
Thank you and good work on the new kernels, once again...
8)
I have compiled RT3070_RT3370_RT5370_RT5372_Linux_STA_V2_5 on k3.1.
You can test it to see if it is works.you may need depmod then modprobe rt5370sta.
Thank you very much. the kernel sources is too big to upload except make clean and make mrproper. but it will be needed for compile drivers.you can download patches and config in top of URL.
It is will be great if you share your solution of strobelight.

puppyluvr

#131 Post by puppyluvr »

:D Hello,
Thank you!!
Will test when I get home, and let you know..

As for the wireless light..
Every kernel Ive tried newer than 2.6.38, my wireless card refused to come on (light remains off no matter what I do).. This is the primary reason I stopped at 2.6.38.4 with Lupen.. My workaround was to hit the switch during boot, before X loads, then it stays on..

So I tried it on 3.1.0 /528 and it worked, the light stayed on, and the card is active.. Will try driver later...

I know it is related to Xorg and the newer kernels, just not specifically how..

Again, thx for the driver.. 8)
Jay...

EDIT:
Coudnt stand to wait, will be a little late... LOL

Driver works great... Had to blacklist 2800pci to get it seen..
And yes, depmod and modprobe were needed, but I am running in ram no save...

Thanks again.. :D :D
Attachments
pic.png
A pic...
(177.46 KiB) Downloaded 474 times
Close the Windows, and open your eyes, to a whole new world
I am Lead Dog of the
Puppy Linux Users Group on Facebook
Join us!

Puppy since 2.15CE...

mill0001

#132 Post by mill0001 »

Hi, I'm using 528 with the 310 kernel. My machine is AMD quad core with 2 Gb of DDR3-1600 Ram. Everything works good. Quickpet didn't work < I used your pet to fix it. Weird thing though, I had to open the pet and manually put quickpet.sh into usr/local file to get it to work. Where could I get the Nvidia driver pet please?

ETP

NVIDIA PET

#133 Post by ETP »

Regards ETP
[url=http://tinyurl.com/pxzq8o9][img]https://s17.postimg.cc/tl19y14y7/You_Tube_signature80px.png[/img][/url]
[url=http://tinyurl.com/kennels2/]Kennels[/url]

mill0001

#134 Post by mill0001 »

ETP,
Thank you very much. The driver works great on my GTS-250.

mill0001

#135 Post by mill0001 »

Hi Wuxi,
Got a tiny little bug here. Still testing 310, every thing still working good except the tray icon for firewall never changes from the warning icon to the ok icon. Any solution for this?

pemasu

#136 Post by pemasu »

I encountered the same problem with 3.1 kernel I compiled for dpup. The nonswitching Firewallstate was fixed by recompiling the kernel. Firewall script is complex in Puppy and it tries to uninstall and install several filtering kernel modules. If those modules are compiled in and not as loadable modules, the Firewall state script fails in its state recognition.

So....probably this tiny little bug means that the whole kernel needs to be recompiled according how Barry Kauler has ticked the filtering modules of network traffic.

mill0001

#137 Post by mill0001 »

Pemasu,
Thanks for the input. Now I just have to see if Wuxi is going to do a recompile of the kernel again since that is beyond me at this point.

mill0001

#138 Post by mill0001 »

As a point of interest regarding the firewall bug, I switched the 3.1 kernel into a fresh Frugal install of Lucid-5.25 and it's the same result. The firewall icon never switches to firewall ok.

mill0001

#139 Post by mill0001 »

I just downloaded and did frugal install of Slacko with 3.08 kernel and got the same bug with the firewall. Icon doesn't switch to firewall ok. Could it be something on my system or is it in the kernels?

wuxiandianzi

Hi

#140 Post by wuxiandianzi »

mill0001 wrote:Hi Wuxi,
Got a tiny little bug here. Still testing 310, every thing still working good except the tray icon for firewall never changes from the warning icon to the ok icon. Any solution for this?
Mill0001,
Sorry for late reply,Yes The kernel was compiled without something for firewall.I will add this support for it later! Thank you!