Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Mon 09 Dec 2019, 01:10
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Projects
newest kernel 3.1.8 & 3.0.16 test on lupu528
Moderators: Flash, JohnMurga
Page 6 of 10 [148 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 Next
gcmartin

PostPosted: Fri 21 Oct 2011, 09:57    Post subject: Re: lupu_528_k3.0.7_SMP(cpu) update:20111021
Subject description: new kernel 3.0.7

wuxiandianzi wrote:
update:20111021 ...
..................................uploading..........................................

anyone who can offer space will be great.
Check your PM

Hope this helps

wuxiandianzi

PostPosted: Fri 21 Oct 2011, 10:25    Post subject: Re: lupu_528_k3.0.7_SMP(cpu) update:20111021
Subject description: new kernel 3.0.7

gcmartin wrote:
wuxiandianzi wrote:
update:20111021 ...
..................................uploading..........................................

anyone who can offer space will be great.
Check your PM

Hope this helps

OK thank you!
otropogo

PostPosted: Sat 22 Oct 2011, 02:08    Post subject: Why no USB3 support in new Kernel?  

Have just burned the latest version of this update (from the URL on page 5) in the hope it would include USB3 support, as Slacko 5.29.6 does.

However, puppy didn't detect my USB3 drive on the expresscard port. Is Slacko 5.29.6 using a more recent version of the Linux Kernel?

I also encountered another problem I haven't seen in a long time in Puppy - failure to automatically configure the Internet connection. Every previous version of Puppy 4.xx, lupu and Slacko managed this, as do SLAX, Tinycore, and Knoppix.

sc0ttman

PostPosted: Sat 22 Oct 2011, 12:37    Post subject: Re: sfs_load fix  

rodin.s wrote:
I have fixed sfs loading and mounting for 3-d kernel. I have changed three files: filemnt, bootmanager and sfs_load (all in /usr/sbin)
Barry was right about this "some scripts in Puppy that are hard-coded to expect "2.6"."

Woofy does as well, but most users won't use it.. and it probably needs other updates to work with Racy anyway...

wuxiandianzi

PostPosted: Sun 23 Oct 2011, 07:39    Post subject: Re: Module ath9k for Atheros AR9285  

mories wrote:
Thank you for the 3.0.4. Kernel, but it does not work for my wireless:
02:00.0 Network controller [0280]: Atheros Communications Inc. AR9285 Wireless Network Adapter (PCI-Express) [168c:002b] (rev 01)

The module ath9k works in other Puppys (kernel 2.6.xx) and in Fatdog64 (kernel 3.0.3).

Perhaps your kernel configuration does not include
config ATH9K_PCI
bool "Atheros ath9k PCI/PCIe bus support"
depends on ATH9K && PCI
---help---
This option enables the PCI bus support in ath9k.
Say Y, if you have a compatible PCI/PCIe wireless card.

OK , It is config as "CONFIG_ATH9K_PCI=y"
wuxiandianzi

PostPosted: Sun 23 Oct 2011, 07:40    Post subject: Re: Why no USB3 support in new Kernel?  

otropogo wrote:
Have just burned the latest version of this update (from the URL on page 5) in the hope it would include USB3 support, as Slacko 5.29.6 does.

However, puppy didn't detect my USB3 drive on the expresscard port. Is Slacko 5.29.6 using a more recent version of the Linux Kernel?

I also encountered another problem I haven't seen in a long time in Puppy - failure to automatically configure the Internet connection. Every previous version of Puppy 4.xx, lupu and Slacko managed this, as do SLAX, Tinycore, and Knoppix.

thank you

usb3 has been configured as "CONFIG_USB_XHCI_HCD=m"

so you can modproble XHCI_HCD by hand
otropogo

PostPosted: Mon 24 Oct 2011, 14:00    Post subject: Re: Why no USB3 support in new Kernel?  

wuxiandianzi wrote:
otropogo wrote:
... puppy didn't detect my USB3 drive on the expresscard port.....

thank you

usb3 has been configured as "CONFIG_USB_XHCI_HCD=m"

so you can modproble XHCI_HCD by hand

Thanks. But I won't have access to the USB3 hardware again until next weekend.

Will try it then and report my results.

otropogo

PostPosted: Mon 24 Oct 2011, 18:37    Post subject: 528_k3.07 won't boot on Intel D865GLC Motherboard  

Have just tried lupu_528_k3... on my main desktop machine, hoping that once I get USB3 support working for the laptop, this could be my main Puppy.

Unfortunately, this version won't boot on my Intel D865GLC.

I tried first using the "puppy pfix=ram" parameter, which resulted in an unusually prolonged bout of "pausing" (the word displayed at least four times, I'm afraid I didn't note it carefully).

That was followed by the following text:

Quote:
lupu_528.sfs not found. Dropping out to initial-ramdisk console.
/bin/sh: can't access tty: job control turned off

At which point the system locked up.

I was particularly surprised by the "...528_sfs not found" message, since obviously the file is on the CD itself. This situation also raises the interesting question of how the boot module distinguishes between the lupu_528.sfs file with the new kernel, and the old one, which has the same name and is sitting in on one of the hard drives in the system.

Could the existence of that older sfs file account for the boot failure? If so, shouldn't the new sfs file have a different name, so that one doesn't have to continually rename or remove the sfs file to use one or the other lupu?

In any case, I next tried booting without arguments, and let the boot loader find all of the lupu-save.2fs files on the system (which again resulted in four "pause" s), before selecting "0 - none" to avoid corrupting any of them.

The system then locked up with 25 rows of the following text on the display:

Quote:

[188.239542] <IRQ>

Update: after renaming my old lupu_528.sfs file, I rebooted again with the new kernel, this time using both of the following arguments:

Code:
puppy loglevel=7 pfix=ram

The result was exactly the same as the first time, with pfix=ram alone.

Quote:
Dropping out to initial-ramdisk console.
/bin/sh: can't access tty: job control turned off

I then tried allowing the boot loader to search the system for lupu save files, adding only the
Code:
loglevel=7
command. This produced a different ending than the previous time:

Quote:
[176.088021] BUG: unable to handle kernel

wuxiandianzi

PostPosted: Tue 25 Oct 2011, 01:35    Post subject: Re: 528_k3.07 won't boot on Intel D865GLC Motherboard  

Otropogo:
Thank you for your "bugs".
Lots of people would have this problem or kernel panic.
First, I want to know if you have other puppy files(such as initrd.gz XXX.sfs pupsave.2fs) on your hdd? when you boot it from cd, the "init" script in initrd.gz will search XXX.sfs file and pupsave.2fs file. This will lead to kernel panic.
Second, Most kernel modules have been compiled as modules(config as M).
It is diffrent from old kernl (2.6.30.5 2.6.X.. ..). So when it boot from from cdrom, some modules which support CDROM driver not be loaded. And init script can not find XXX.sfs file.

I worder if your CDROM is SCSI interface? I only put little basic modules into "initrd.gz". If you know the exact driver you have, I am pleasure to build a special-purpose "initrd.gz" for you.

Finally I think the problem is mainly caused by the lack of drives of your CDROM.
peebee

PostPosted: Tue 25 Oct 2011, 11:38    Post subject:  

Hi wuxiandianzi

Just tried lupu528-k3.0.7 on my HP550 laptop frugal install

Same problem as previously with savefiles - the "standard" mechanism doesn't create one and I have to install pupsave and use that before the 1st reboot to create the savefile.

/lib/firmware/b43 now has contents but I still need to copy the directory from lupu528 to get my wifi working - the copied directory seems to be much bigger than that in the iso.

Strange problem with JWM Configuration - I'm unable to reduce the number of desktops from 4 no matter what I try.

Once these things are sorted seems to run fine - posting this from Iron13 with wifi connection courtesy of Frisbee.

Cheers
Peter

otropogo

PostPosted: Tue 25 Oct 2011, 13:34    Post subject: Re: 528_k3.07 won't boot on Intel D865GLC Motherboard  

wuxiandianzi wrote:
Otropogo:
Thank you for your "bugs".
Lots of people would have this problem or kernel panic.
First, I want to know if you have other puppy files(such as initrd.gz XXX.sfs pupsave.2fs) on your hdd? when you boot it from cd, the "init" script in initrd.gz will search XXX.sfs file and pupsave.2fs file. This will lead to kernel panic.

Thanks for your comments. I will have to search my partitions for the answer to the above.

Depending on how many USB devices are connected, there may be as many as 12 partitions attached to my system at bootup, so this is not an easy question to answer. However, I've never, ever, encountered this problem with Puppy 4.3.1 or Lupu 5.2.8 (standard kernel).

I thought, moreover, that booting with the pfix=ram parameter would cause the boot loader to ignore all of the connected partitions, and look only on the LiveCD.

Quote:
Second, Most kernel modules have been compiled as modules(config as M).
It is diffrent from old kernl (2.6.30.5 2.6.X.. ..). So when it boot from from cdrom, some modules which support CDROM driver not be loaded. And init script can not find XXX.sfs file.

I'm not sure I understand this part of your commentary. But I do know that I saw "loading Puppy_5.2.8.sfs to RAM" displayed. The lockup of the system comes later.

Quote:
I worder if your CDROM is SCSI interface? I only put little basic modules into "initrd.gz". If you know the exact driver you have, I am pleasure to build a special-purpose "initrd.gz" for you.

No. I have two CD/DVD burners. One is internal IDE, the other is USB2:

HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GSA-H10N
TSSTcorp USB Mass Storage Device

Neither has ever encountered a problem booting the system from an Ultilex, Puppy 4.3.1, or Puppy 5.2.8 LiveCD, and I boot my system exclusively from LiveCD, which means I boot from the CD drive at least once a day, and often six or seven times.

Quote:
Finally I think the problem is mainly caused by the lack of drives of your CDROM.

I'm afraid I don't understand your meaning.

ETP

PostPosted: Tue 25 Oct 2011, 16:31    Post subject: Re: lupu_528_k3.0.7_SMP(cpu) update:20111021  

wuxiandianzi:

Many thanks for this latest pup. Currently testing a manual frugal install on a fat 32 USB 2 stick. No problem creating an ext2 save file.

Just using the nv driver, it is faster than 528 with a proprietary driver. It has sailed through every test I have subjected it to and is IMHO the best pup yet !
A slideshow of tests can be found here:
http://megaswf.com/serve/1190260

Very, very well done.

Kennels
otropogo

PostPosted: Sun 30 Oct 2011, 19:24    Post subject: can't get online with lupu k307  

For the first time in several years I'm unable to get online with a Puppy.

In the standard Lupu 5.2.8, Wary, Slacko, 4.3.1, I have never had a problem getting online. If I'm cabled to the router/modem, it's automatic. If I've neglected to attach the CAT5 cable, I click on the Puppy Network Wizard icon, choose ehto-0, then auto dhcp, and I'm connected.

Lupu K307 reports there is no interface, and all attempts with the two available methods of connecting have failed.

otropogo

PostPosted: Sun 30 Oct 2011, 19:31    Post subject: USB3 not hotpluggable in lupu K307  

Have just tried the command:

Code:
modprobe XHCI_HCD

After booting lupu k3.07 with pfix=ram, then hotplugging the USB3.0 adapter and USB3 3TB Goflex Desk into the expresscard bus.

the response was:

Quote:
module XHCI_HCD not found

The drive was not found by pmount.

When I rebooted with the USB3 adapter and hard drive already attached, the drive's icon appeared on the desktop automatically, and could be accessed normally.

In Slacko hotplugging the 3TB USB3 drive works.

otropogo

PostPosted: Sun 30 Oct 2011, 20:40    Post subject: burned and verified second copy of lupuk07,won't boot at all  

Have just burned a second copy of lupu k3.0.7 to test the suggestion my first disk was scratched.

I burned the original md5summed iso with Burniso2cd using a different burner than last time (as burner defects were also suggested), and then verified the burn.

I then booted my Intel D865GLC desktop system with
Code:
pfix=ram
, and the boot failed with the same error message as before.

I then took the disk over to the Toshiba laptop that has so far booted without apparent problems with the first disk burned. This time the laptop failed to boot as well, giving the same error message.

I can't detect even a hint of a scratch on the disk.

Page 6 of 10 [148 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 Next
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Projects
Jump to: