can I change from XVesa to Xorg?

Booting, installing, newbie
Cerryn

can I change from XVesa to Xorg?

#1 Post by Cerryn »

Hi everybody. I am fairly new to linux and I've been trying several distributions to see what fits me best and Puppy seems to be it. My question is how do I change from XVesa to Xorg?
I have puppy 1.0.8r1 and more recently Simple Puppy since I like both and is getting hard to decide on one. Both of them gave me errors at the first installation when it tried to setup Xorg (a stack overflow error) so they both defaulted to XVesa. well I tried Vector linux which only has Xorg and it would not run until I found a post on their forum of how to modify Xorgconfig and now it runs great. So I modified the puppy xorgconfig the same way but I don't know where to change my default.
This may be pretty basic but I can't find anything like this in the forum so far. Ayone can give me an idea?

MU

#2 Post by MU »

you could try to copy /etc/X11/xorg.conf from your vector-partition to /etc/X11/xorg.conf in Puppy.

Use "MUT" from the menu to mount the vector-partition.

Mark

BarryK
Puppy Master

#3 Post by BarryK »

The factor that determines which X server runs is the symbolic link at
/usr/X11R6/bin/X.
You could manually change that, after setting up /etc/X11/xorg.conf.

Or, run 'xorgwizrd' from the prompt after exiting from X.

Lobster
Official Crustacean

If you get it working . . .

#4 Post by Lobster »

If you get it working . . .
Let us know what your system is and what you did

good luck
8)
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

Cerryn

#5 Post by Cerryn »

My system is a Celeron 566Mhz, 375Mb RAM, 7Gb HD and my videocard is a GeForce MX 440.

I tried running the xorgwizard from the prompt but for some reason it was writing my vertical refresh rate as "60- " without a second value and default to Vesa again when it wouldn't work. I run xorgconfig from the prompt to get that other wizard which had more detail but it would try to write the file to usr/X11R6/etc/x11/xorg.config which does not exist.

What finally worked was a combination of your advise. I copied the xorg.config from vector and changed the symbolic link at /usr/X11R6/bin/X, restarted X and I am finally in Xorg!

Thanks guys for the advise. Not only did you help me with my video, now I actually know what a symbolic link is and how to use them. Every day I learn a bit more...
Long live Puppy!