Static noise on Intel N10/ICH 7 HD Audio (SOLVED)

Problems and successes with specific brands/models of computer audio hardware
leitz

Static noise on Intel N10/ICH 7 HD Audio (SOLVED)

#1 Post by leitz »

Hi, I have puppy lupu 5.2.5 on gigabyte mobo with onboard Intel N10/ICH 7 Family High Definition Audio Controller. I've got all speakers, headphone and microphone working but the static noise coming from the speaker and headphone is annoying.

I tried using live ubuntu maverick meerkat and I got clean audio. What could I do to eliminate this static noise on my lupu installation?

Thanks.
Last edited by leitz on Sat 13 Aug 2011, 18:36, edited 2 times in total.

8-bit

#2 Post by 8-bit »

I will not be much help, because I do not know what Puppy version you are running or where the Ubuntu audio driver is located.
But the reason I replied is because I have a Compaq laptop running Win XP that does that very thing.
And after checking the HP/Compaq web site, I found that an audio driver was released that fixed the problem.

leitz

Static noise on Intel N10/ICH 7 HD Audio (solve)

#3 Post by leitz »

I'm running Lucid Puppy 5.2.5 on a PC with a Gigabyte GA-G41M-Combo motherboard with an inboard Intel N10/ICH 7 Family High Definition Audio Controller.

The static noise is really annoying even when not playing music. I'm wondering why when running Ubuntu 10.10 Live CD on the same PC, i have clean noiseless audio even at high volume.

I've been searching for solutions for the past 3 days.

:oops: My bad. I checked my alsamixer and found my mic setting at 100%. I reduce it to 81% and the static noise is gone.

Thanks for your advice anyway.

8-bit

#4 Post by 8-bit »

Since you found that reducing mic volume in alsamixer, please edit your first post and add SOLVED to the title.
Also, unless you are using the mic for an application that requires it, you can set the volume even lower.
Mine is set to zero.