Dpup Exprimo 5.X.3.1.10.3 SMP multicore optimized version

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
pemasu

#16 Post by pemasu »

Dave S. Hardinfo sensors havent worked with any newer kernels. It is bug in hardinfo app, not in Dpup per se. I am sure you have noticed that in other newer kernel using puplets also.
It would be nice little debugging experiment to someone.......
Pupsysinfo and sensors tab is the real test. Do you get cpu temp info from it.
I think Radkys Pupsysinfo nowadays is more up to date than hardinfo.

DaveS

#17 Post by DaveS »

pemasu wrote:Dave S. Hardinfo sensors havent worked with any newer kernels. It is bug in hardinfo app, not in Dpup per se. I am sure you have noticed that in other newer kernel using puplets also.
It would be nice little debugging experiment to someone.......
Pupsysinfo and sensors tab is the real test. Do you get cpu temp info from it.
I think Radkys Pupsysinfo nowadays is more up to date than hardinfo.
Yes, Pupsysinfo works fine :)
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

jim3630

#18 Post by jim3630 »

pemasu wrote:Git.kernel.org is down, but I got from Tempestuous the firmware package for brcm80211. The new broadcom driver is for newer chips: http://linuxwireless.org/en/users/Drive ... rted_Chips.
For older broadcom devices, this driver could be even nuisance if it tries to load without working.

Anyway...The firmware pet is attached. If somebody knows, that he will need this new driver, he will need this firmware package also.
It installs the firmwares to the usual location in /lib/firmware. Reboot is probably needed.
installed firmware pet reboot to pfix=ram and it worke! I have bcm4313 frisbee acquired wifi connection on wlan0.

tested new broadcom wl pet and it worked as well acquiring wifi on eth1 without requiring any blacklisting.

pemasu

#19 Post by pemasu »

Jim3630. Could you confirm. The new brcm80211 worked for you after installing the firmware pet. Probably you rebooted of course. After that you installed the broadcom pet which installs wl.ko driver and you got that working also.
When you were successful, did you confirm what driver your wlan connection used in both cases.
After experimenting, I dont think it will be good idea to have them both. I think that one or other should have preferences to be used.

It would be really good news to some troublesome wl driver needed broadcom users.
Last edited by pemasu on Sat 17 Sep 2011, 19:25, edited 1 time in total.

jim3630

#20 Post by jim3630 »

pemasu wrote:Jim3630. Could you confirm. The new brcm80211 worked for you after installing the driver pet and firmware pet. Probably you rebooted of course. After that you installed the broadcom pet which installs wl.ko driver and you got that working also.
When you were successful, did you confirm what driver your wlan connection used in both cases.
After experimenting, I dont think it will be good idea to have them both. I think that one or other should have preferences to be used.

It would be really good news to some troublesome wl driver needed broadcom users.
The new brcm80211 worked after installing only the firmware pet. the driver is pre-installed in the kernel.

When you were successful, did you confirm what driver your wlan connection used in both cases. sns showed wlan0 brcmsmac driver
the broadcom wl pet activated eth1.

rebooted pfix=ram installed your newly updated broadcom wl pet. which worked after configuring as usual.

pemasu

#21 Post by pemasu »

Thanks Jim3630. This is good news. Yes, I typed the questions automatically, The brcm80211 drivers of course are in the build preinstalled, part of the kernel. I fixed my post so that there is no more confusion what I meant.
Thank you very much !
Could you do one more thing. In console lspci -nnv and post the 3-4 rows concerning your broadcom wireless. I would like to make a note about the revision number and ID of your broadcom chip.

jim3630

#22 Post by jim3630 »

pemasu wrote:Thanks Jim3630. This is good news. Yes, I typed the questions automatically, The brcm80211 drivers of course are in the build preinstalled, part of the kernel. I fixed my post so that there is no more confusion what I meant.
Thank you very much !
Could you do one more thing. In console lspci -nnv and post the 3-4 rows concerning your broadcom wireless. I would like to make a note about the revision number and ID of your broadcom chip.
I mentioned the id in previous post but here you go.

03:00.0 Network controller [0280]: Broadcom Corporation BCM4313 802.11b/g/n Wireless LAN Controller [14e4:4727] (rev 01)
Subsystem: Hewlett-Packard Company Device [103c:145c]
Flags: bus master, fast devsel, latency 0, IRQ 18
Memory at b2400000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=16K]
Capabilities: [40] Power Management version 3
Capabilities: [58] Vendor Specific Information: Len=78 <?>
Capabilities: [48] MSI: Enable- Count=1/1 Maskable- 64bit+
Capabilities: [d0] Express Endpoint, MSI 00
Capabilities: [100] Advanced Error Reporting
Capabilities: [13c] Virtual Channel
Capabilities: [160] Device Serial Number 00-00-12-ff-ff-1d-ac-81
Capabilities: [16c] Power Budgeting <?>
Kernel driver in use: brcmsmac

pemasu

#23 Post by pemasu »

Thank you. It also helps to have it documented here. If someone uses google search with that revision number + murga-linux, he might find your post.

Yes, your chip revision number is in the list.

jim3630

#24 Post by jim3630 »

pemasu wrote:Thank you. It also helps to have it documented here. If someone uses google search with that revision number + murga-linux, he might find your post.

Yes, your chip revision number is in the list.
do you know if the new broadcom driver will be included in all new linux kernels or only the new woof kernels?

DaveS

#25 Post by DaveS »

xcompmgr got left out. installed it, no problems.
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

pemasu

#26 Post by pemasu »

Barrys new 2.6.39.4 kernel has it in Wary Racy or what ever it was. Posted today. You just need the firmware pet for it. Maybe it is enabled in Iguleders 2.6.39.4 kernel also, I dont know. Ask him or just install the firmware and check.
All the 2.6.39.4 and 3.0.X kernels have it, I am sure, but you need to enable it though during kernel compiling time. It resides in staging drivers section and compilers dont notice it straight. I knew about it because Tempestuous posted about it.
Last edited by pemasu on Sat 17 Sep 2011, 21:05, edited 2 times in total.

pemasu

#27 Post by pemasu »

Dave S. Strange. I need to check out my specs. It should have been in. Sorry. But good pick if it isnt. Yes, the woof havent processed it properly. I need to find out why not.

jim3630

#28 Post by jim3630 »

pemasu wrote:Barrys new 2.6.39.4 kernel has it in Wary Racy or what ever it was. Posted today. You just need the firmware pet for it. Maybe it is enabled in Iguleders 2.6.39.4 kernel also, I dont know. Ask him or just install the firmware and check.
All the 2.6.39.4 and 3.0.X kernels have it, I am sure, but you need to enable it though. It resides in staging drivers section and compilers dont notice it straight. I knew about it because Tempestuous posted about it.
thanks for the info it's good to know.

pemasu

#29 Post by pemasu »

Dave S. Woof problem fixed. Xcompmgr will be in my original Dpup Exprimo 5.X.7. I hope that others test the apps they use and report if something does not work. I can then fix it for next build.

DaveS

#30 Post by DaveS »

pemasu wrote:Dave S. Woof problem fixed. Xcompmgr will be in my original Dpup Exprimo 5.X.7. I hope that others test the apps they use and report if something does not work. I can then fix it for next build.
Cool.
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

jim3630

#31 Post by jim3630 »

pemasu hope don't mind i posted the firmware pet and linked backed to here.

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 809#564809

pemasu

#32 Post by pemasu »

No problem. The firmware compressed package was originally provided by Tempestuous. I only made pet of it. You should add the url link for supported chips, which I posted. People get from that link the understanding for whom those firmwares are needed.

DaveS

#33 Post by DaveS »

There is just so much here to like :)
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

radky

#34 Post by radky »

The date48.png in /usr/local/lib/X11/themes/Trinity is a 24-pixel image, and looks very small when linked to "Plan" on the JWM desktop. :)

pemasu

#35 Post by pemasu »

Radky. Yes I know. I thought I had fixed it but it seems I havent moved the fix to the woof. I will now.
Thank you. I have replacement anyway already picked.