Dpup Exprimo 5.X.3.1.10.3 SMP multicore optimized version

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
pemasu

#496 Post by pemasu »

My troubles with adsl connections still continues. I have bought from telephone company new adsl-wlan-router-4-rj45-hub combo box...which caused that the adsl connection was about 15 seconds until it drops out and takes several minute before it connects again....for 15 seconds. My record yesterday was to download 1.3 Mb before it dropped. Mostly it was 500-600 k download when I tested.

I had to switch back to real old adsl box which does not support adsl2+ connection. Now I got promise...that one guy checks the line statistics and trims the line to correspond that new box. Which means that I have to connect new box at last than tomorrow morning and then hope that they can fix the line connection. Also the speed of the line is 8 Mb only when it should be at least 13 Mb which means there is also physical problem in line...which means more ppl checking the problem. And usually they come in to the house when I am at work. And I cant watch what they do and I cant follow their struggle. It means that I get only very tight briefing from someone.
Okay...I admit...I just hate this connection problem.
My wife cant download email attachments from vpn connection with our existing connection and I feel her eyes in my neck....that you should get this fixed. Well...3 telephone company men have searched the problem and now starts second round. I hope knock out now.....
Now I have good period...as you can read....lol.
I will probably switch the boxes this evening so...probably I am out then.....

jim3630

#497 Post by jim3630 »

pemasu wrote: Dmesg before and after manual unloading and reloading would be helpful....
#rmmod "type here your broadcom driver without .ko" like rmmod brcmsmac and then modprobe brcmsmac
and after that dmesg. Dmesg dislays kernel driver module information regarding to that reloading.

I know that the bug report posters can obtain the information using Puppy which loads their broadcom succsfully, Barry Kauler`s SNS ie Simple Network Setup app shows the module name clearly.
pemasu
lsmod shows b43 driver loaded and my driver brcmsmac was not loaded. after blacklisting b43 and modprobed brcmsmac sns nor frisbee could see it. also included dmesg. hope helps.
Attachments
dmesg.gz
(45.8 KiB) Downloaded 237 times
lsmod.gz
(5.58 KiB) Downloaded 229 times

pemasu

#498 Post by pemasu »

Thank you jim3630 !!!
Now we get to somewhere. It loads b43 for you which it shouldnt.
One question. If you just blacklist b43..it is not loaded until at next boot. Did you reboot. Unloading could have been done by rmmod b43 and loading brcmsmac by modprobe brcmsmac.
If just blacklisted and not rebooted....there was still b43 loaded and conflicting when you modprobed brcmsmac.

If you did it correctly then it is time for me to check and compare slacko DOTconfig and mine of kernel 3.1.10. I will need to test with fresh woof again also.

If you do the b43 removing correctly and copy the brcm folder from /lib/modules/all-firmware to /lib/firmware then I could be sure that the firmware not found is not the reason. Your dmesg didnt show any errors...and that makes me wonder what is the real problem.

jim3630

#499 Post by jim3630 »

pemasu wrote:Thank you jim3630 !!!
Now we get to somewhere. It loads b43 for you which it shouldnt.
One question. If you just blacklist b43..it is not loaded until at next boot. Did you reboot. Unloading could have been done by rmmod b43 and loading brcmsmac by modprobe brcmsmac.
If just blacklisted and not rebooted....there was still b43 loaded and conflicting when you modprobed brcmsmac.

If you did it correctly then it is time for me to check and compare slacko DOTconfig and mine of kernel 3.1.10. I will need to test with fresh woof again also.

If you do the b43 removing correctly and copy the brcm folder from /lib/modules/all-firmware to /lib/firmware then I could be sure that the firmware not found is not the reason. Your dmesg didnt show any errors...and that makes me wonder what is the real problem.
yes, blacklist b43, rebooted then modprobed brcmsmac.

will get back in 5x13smp and copy the brcm folder from /lib/modules/all-firmware to /lib/firmware.

jim3630

#500 Post by jim3630 »

pemasu

copied the brcm folder from /lib/modules/all-firmware to /lib/firmware and rebooted.

modprobed brcmsmac driver and it loaded but unable to be seen by sns, frisbee.

also tried network wizard>load modules>more>specify> <brcmsmac> stated already loaded but would not detect new interface.
Attachments
lsmod.gz
(5.27 KiB) Downloaded 200 times
dmesg.gz
(45.99 KiB) Downloaded 221 times

pemasu

#501 Post by pemasu »

Okay...thanks. I will check you new uploaded files...but there is some fundamental problem with brcmsmac driver loading. We will see...

Ray MK

#502 Post by Ray MK »

Hi pemasu - some reports which I hope will be useful

very best regards - Ray
Attachments
report.tar.gz
(106.53 KiB) Downloaded 220 times
[b]Asus[/b] 701SD. 2gig ram. 8gb SSD. [b]IBM A21m[/b] laptop. 192mb ram. PIII Coppermine proc. [b]X60[/b] T2400 1.8Ghz proc. 2gig ram. 80gb hdd. [b]T41[/b] Pentium M 1400Mhz. 512mb ram.

pemasu

#503 Post by pemasu »

Thanks Ray MK. It is brcmsmac which does not work correctly. Okay...I have now found one quite serious bug in kernel builder script. I posted pm to 01micko and he confirmed there is the bug in script. I can handle it....but...the kernel is defective...at least kernel headers does not compile correctly. What else is affects...I really dont know.

Anyway...I have to recompile the kernel with fixed source and I check the broadcom section at the same time. I compare slacko broadcom section and brcmsmac staging directory and tick it same way....since brcmsmac works in slacko.

mikeslr

Exprimo 5x10.3 properly handles Ati Radeon 3100 Graphics

#504 Post by mikeslr »

Hi pemasu,
Thought I posted this before, but I can't find the post. At any rate, Exprimo 5x10.3smp (2nd Edition), using the Linux 3.1.10-dpup kernel properly handles Ati Radeon 3100 Graphics: i.e., no black lines/boxes obscuring dialog boxes.

After booting pfix=ram, creating a SaveFile. I booted into Lupu, moved the aforementioned SaveFile into a protected folder, and copied the SaveFile from Exprimo 5x8smp --the last, previous smp without graphic problem-- and rebooted. 5x10.3smp successfully upgraded the SaveFile.

One thing I've noticed, no biiggee. Previously, when choosing to display disk drive icons for all partitions, I was able to move them from their default position parallel to and just above the task bar, and the location to which they were moved would survive a reboot/restart-X. Now, regardless of what setting I use, they revert to their default position. This happens in, I think, in all recent Puppies.

mikesLr

pemasu

#505 Post by pemasu »

I found a bug in .config. There was bcma ie broadcom amba enabled. I havent myself ever enabled it. I believe it is part of slacko kernel trials when brcmsmac didnt work. I disabled it as I had done with 3.1.0 kernel.
Now I have also full set of kernel headers and the bug in builder script fixed. I believe 01micko will upload the fixed version more officially when he has inspected the problem. But I am satisfied now.

Jim1911

#506 Post by Jim1911 »

Manual frugal installation of 5.x.13 SMP , 8 Feb version is working great. Speed is awesome and everything checked on my desktop is working fine.

With my laptop, I did have the same problem with wifi connections that others have reported. You've probably already corrected that problem..

Cheers,
Jim
Attachments
sys-info-120210.gz
(11.14 KiB) Downloaded 202 times

pemasu

#507 Post by pemasu »

Jim1911. If you refer to brcmsmac problem, then I really hope so. I have found couple of bugs with kernel building and also inside DOTconfig. I have already compiled new kernel and atm packages are processing in woof.

Jim1911

#508 Post by Jim1911 »

pemasu wrote:Jim1911. If you refer to brcmsmac problem, then I really hope so. I have found couple of bugs with kernel building and also inside DOTconfig. I have already compiled new kernel and atm packages are processing in woof.
Sorry, that I wasn't more specific. I was referring to the missing net drivers for the wifi connection. I'm on desktop at the moment, however, I'll give your next download a thorough checkout on the laptop again.

pemasu

#509 Post by pemasu »

Oh yes. The missing section of 10/100 mb drivers has been fixed earlier. The fix will be in next build.

pemasu

#510 Post by pemasu »

Okay...my latest trial Dpup Exprimo 5.X.13.SMP with 3.1.10 kernel. The kernel builder script has been fixed, so that kernel headers and what else compiles now correctly. Mistakenly enabled bcma ie broadcom amba has been disabled. Broadcom and 10/100 Mb net and wireless drivers should be now correct as...they should have been from the beginning...updated needed firmwares included.

Download link: http://www.smokey01.com/pemasu/DpupSque ... mo5X13SMP/

jim3630

#511 Post by jim3630 »

5.X.13.SMP manual frugal installn pfix=ram to hdd ext4 on hp dual p6100.
frisbee auto-detected previous unfound broadcom wifi and connectrion made without issue.

ff10 updated to 10.01. flash downloaded. all works so far. will keep testing. thanks

Billtoo

Dpup Exprimo 5.X.10.3 SMP multicore optimized version

#512 Post by Billtoo »

I'm running from the live dvd with a save file.
I couldn't get the builtin wireless to work but plugged in a linksys
usb adapter rt73 and used SNS.
Builtin = Network controller RaLink RT2860

Sat 11 Feb 2012 OperatingSystem:DpupExprimo-5.X.13.SMPLinux 3.1.10-dpup
0.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation C77 [GeForce 8200]
(rev a2) 0.0
VGA compatible controller:nVidia Corporation G98[GeForce9300GE](rev a1)
oem: NVIDIA product: MCP77 Board - mcp78pvo Chip Rev

X Server: Xorg Driver: nvidia
X.Org version: 1.7.7
dimensions: 1440x900 pixels (411x263 millimeters)
depth of root window: 24 planes

Athlon(tm) Dual Core Processor 4850e
Core 0: 1000 1: 1000 MHz

No other problems so far.
Attachments
image-2.jpg
(110.99 KiB) Downloaded 579 times

pemasu

#513 Post by pemasu »

Billtoo. What is the driver your builtin should use. I believe I can compile it and provide it as separate pet first and then include it to the kernel pet.
in console lspci -nnv and attach the output as .gz here or copy and paste the wireless concerning rows from output.

Jim3630. Thank you !!!
We are now back in business.

pemasu

#514 Post by pemasu »

Kernel sources for 3.1.10 kernel and 5.X.13.SMP

http://www.smokey01.com/pemasu/Kernel_s ... 0-dpup.sfs

pemasu

#515 Post by pemasu »

Billtoo. If the needed driver for you is rt2800usb.ko, then the firmware should be rt2870.bin and it is possible that you will need updated firmware, which I can provide for test. That`s what the bug reports tell....
Of course first I will need to know what is the driver and the needed firmware. Dmesg in working Puppy should provide both information.
Also...it is possible that you have two conflictiing drivers loaded and the not needed one should be blacklisted.

Oops. You tell that you use rt73. Sorry that I didnt notice. Well...if it is really rt73 driver which you need...there is rt73 and according rt73.bin firmware included. I believe there has not happened any updates for that driver/firmware combo and it should work. So...the problem is somewhere else. Wrong driver loaded...something else....