Racy Puppy 5.2.2 Final, 18 Nov. 2011

Please post any bugs you have found
alec78

PAE

#31 Post by alec78 »

Hi all,
Downloaded Racy 5.1.99 to try on the old Samsung X05.
Did a manual update of a USB dongle, i.e. swapped over the three files, shut down and then booted from the dongle.
Racy failed to boot with a message saying something like " Not a pae enabled processor please use a different version of Puppy".
Did a little googling, which seemed to infer that the pae kernel extension was for systems with up to 64GB of memory.
The Samsung is getting on but it is still a 686 Centrino CPU.
I then downloaded Wary 5.1.99, and I am having problems with that creating a save file. So it has been a real fun day.
Cheers

upnorth

#32 Post by upnorth »

On a budget intel dual core platform, 1440x900x24:

Controller: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) USB UHCI Controller #4 (rev 02)
Audio device: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) HD Audio Controller (rev 02)
VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation 82G33/G31 Express Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 02)

Booted to desktop fine from usb syslinux stick. Sound and net - good.

Latest libflashplayer.so works better than included version, (full screen blank and sticky settings window on 10.1)
---------------------------------
VIDEO REPORT: Racy Puppy, version 5.1.99

Chip description:
oem: Intel(r)Q33/Q35/G33 Graphics Chip Accelerated VGA BIOS
product: Intel(r)Q33/Q35/G33 Graphics Controller Hardware Version 0.0

Driver used by Xorg:
intel

Video mode used by Xorg:
Resolution: Depth 24 Depth: "Display"

Volhout

Racy 5.1.99 feedback

#33 Post by Volhout »

Racy has problems opening a wireless connection with a RT3090 wireless controller in an eee PC. See details in thread:

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=71902

Before Racy I installed Wary 5.1.99 on the same eee PC and failed to set the touchpad sensitivity due to a memory fault. Sorry I put this in the wrong section.

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=71912

I hope this feedback is of any use.

Regards,

Volhout

Karl Godt

#34 Post by Karl Godt »

THE RACYwary runs "as usual" on my pc :
Manufacturer: Fujitsu Siemens
Product Name: GA8IDX
Manufacturer: Giga-Byte Technology Co., LTD
Max Speed: 2400 MHz
Current Speed: 2400 MHz
Version: Intel Pentium(R) 4
Maximum Memory Module Size: 4096 MB
Maximum Total Memory Size: 12288 MB
Type: SDRAM
Installed Size: 256 MB (Single-bank Connection)
Enabled Size: 256 MB (Single-bank Connection)
Enabled Size: 128 MB (Single-bank Connection)
Enabled Size: 64 MB (Single-bank Connection)
cat /proc/cmdline
video=640x480 ROOT=/DEV/SDA4
. /etc/rc.d/PUPSTATE
# echo $PUPMODE

Though I booted with that kernel-line the init found the savefile .
Sound seems to be OK though setup_alsa_func is commented :
/proc/asound/card0/id
I82801BAICH2
/proc/asound/card1/id
UART

One thing to consider had been , that the loading of the sound card drivers varies : sometime snd_intel8x0 gets loaded first and snd_mpu401 second and other days viceversa . [ maybe a "|sort -d" would had helped in rc.sysinit ] .

The missing libpcap could be fixed by copying it as -V 0.8 from a luci5pup and renaming it to 1 .

/dev/sda4 on /initrd/mnt/dev_save type fuseblk (rw,noatime,user_id=0,group_id=0,default_permissions,blksize=4096)
/dev/loop1 on /initrd/pup_rw type ext3 (rw,noatime,errors=continue,barrier=0,data=ordered)

Some useabillity problems are that mtpaint freezes totally saving layer'ed pictures , and rox also for some time at the /proc directory .

I decided to compile mtpaint from git 2.34.69 and simply './configure' on lhpup 443 it is working the same difficult as the racy mtpaint in racy .

I like the Icon theme , because of maybe becoming autumn here :
Attachments
drive_mntd_boot48.png
parts done in racy and others in lhpup 443
(2.34 KiB) Downloaded 2525 times

pemasu

#35 Post by pemasu »

Rox freezing when you enter /proc was the problem at the early stage of Dpup also. I reverted to use Barrys version from ibiblio repo; roxfiler-201012git-patched.pet

That fixed the rox problem in Dpup.

Karl Godt

#36 Post by Karl Godt »

I remastered iguleders dpup-005 kernel2.6.33.2 several times and one remaster had this freeze at /proc i can remember . Maybe I had installed a more recent rox there also , or there are problems with ".wh." files :
find /initrd/pup_rw -iname "*.wh.*"
/initrd/pup_rw/.wh..wh.aufs
/initrd/pup_rw/lib/modules/all-firmware/.wh.nozomi.tar.gz
/initrd/pup_rw/lib/modules/all-firmware/.wh.cdcacm.tar.gz
/initrd/pup_rw/lib/modules/all-firmware/.wh.ipwireless.tar.gz
/initrd/pup_rw/lib/modules/all-firmware/.wh.usbserial.tar.gz
/initrd/pup_rw/lib/modules/all-firmware/.wh.hso.tar.gz
/initrd/pup_rw/.wh..wh.orph
/initrd/pup_rw/.wh..wh.plnk
/initrd/pup_rw/dev/snd/.wh..wh..opq

Karl Godt

#37 Post by Karl Godt »

Nope : whiteout files seems not to be the cause .

"./configure gtk2 gtkfilesel gtkfontsel thread cflags --cpu=486 debug intl man"
for mtpaint-*.69 on racy still only saves one-layered images .

I checked /usr/bin and it appears not to be caused by missing binaries ... ; xerrs.log and dmesg give no messages about that .

Another problem :
For the xorgwizard GUI i would also like to have a note about "Please close all apps before proceeding" .

I copied a Xvesa bin from another Puppy and expected the terminal wizard ,
but it automatically links X to Xvesa and starts X .

The first time it did not work , hanging in an endless loop , while it had not been possible to login on tty2 or 3 , hanging after the right password ;
wrong passwords gave the "login incorrect" message and I was able to type "login" again .
Had to "CONTROL+ALT+DELETE" to reboot .

"dumpe2fs $PATHtoRACYSAVE.3fs | grep -i state" still showed "clean" , after reboot ,
and the Xvesa is running well , then ;
and the login on tty2 works again .

But now rox totally freezes at /proc , and had to be killed ; and restored by "rox -p /root/Choices/ROX-Filer/PuppyPin" .

Karl Godt

#38 Post by Karl Godt »

Today booted pfix=ram :
rox is working OK in /proc .
mtpaint still does not save layers .

For today I would suggest for xorgwizard :

Code: Select all

--- /root/xorgwizard-orig	2011-09-11 01:31:33.000000000 +0100
+++ /usr/sbin/xorgwizard	2011-09-25 13:35:55.443178122 +0100
@@ -238,7 +238,7 @@
  <vbox>
   <frame XorgWizard>
   <hbox>
-   <text><label>XorgWizard completely reconstructs the /etc/X11/xorg.conf file, and X must not be running to do this. A reboot is required, and the Wizard will run in text mode, before X is launched.</label></text>
+   <text><label>XorgWizard completely reconstructs the /etc/X11/xorg.conf file, and X must not be running to do this. Pressing this button will shutdown the current Xserver $CURRENTX and the Wizard will run in text mode, before X is launched again. Please close all applications !</label></text>
    <vbox>
     <button>
      <input file>/usr/local/lib/X11/mini-icons/wizard16.xpm</input>
@@ -246,7 +246,8 @@
     </button>
    </vbox>
   </hbox>
-  <text><label>NOTE: You can also run XorgWizard manually, without rebooting, by exiting from X to the commandline (see Shutdown menu) then run xorgwizard.</label></text>
+  <text><label>NOTE 1 : You can also run XorgWizard manually , by exiting from X to the commandline (see Shutdown menu) then run xorgwizard .</label></text>
+  <text><label>NOTE 2 : If you have the commonly used Xvesa server installed in /usr/bin/ folder , this button does not run the Wizard but automatically starts the Xvesa X-Server .</label></text>
   </frame>

<frame Edit xorg.conf>
@@ -325,11 +326,17 @@
   11) #XorgWizard.
    #rm /etc/mousedevice # Dougal: any reason for this?
    mv -f /etc/X11/xorg.conf /etc/X11/xorg.conf.prev 2>/dev/null
-   [ -e /usr/bin/Xvesa ] && ln -sf Xvesa /usr/bin/X
+   
    NEXTWM="`cat /etc/windowmanager`"
    echo -n "$NEXTWM" > /etc/windowmanager #this makes change permanent.
+   if [ -e /usr/bin/Xvesa ] ; then ##&& 
+   ln -sf Xvesa /usr/bin/X
    echo -n "$NEXTWM" > /tmp/wmexitmode.txt
+   else
+   echo -n "xorgwizard" > /tmp/wmexitmode.txt
+   fi
    sync
+   sleep 2s
    exec killall X
    ;;
   12) #xorgconfig
and for xwin :

--- /root/xwin-orig	2011-08-07 14:40:41.000000000 +0100
+++ /usr/bin/xwin	2011-09-25 13:24:19.503197507 +0100
@@ -582,6 +582,7 @@
  #rm -f /tmp/wmexitmode.txt ...no, removed in rc.shutdown.
  [ "$WMEXITMODE" = "poweroff" ] && exec /sbin/poweroff #see /usr/bin/wmpoweroff
  [ "$WMEXITMODE" = "reboot" ] && exec /sbin/reboot #see /usr/bin/wmreboot
+ [ "$WMEXITMODE" = "xorgwizard" ] && exec xorgwizard ##krg
  #restart window manager...
  #make a gross assumption, if wmexitmode.txt exists, haven't already exited this script, then want
  #to restart maybe with different window manager. /etc/windowmanager already has desired w.m.
I was able to type "login" again .
... I wrote 'login' , but ment 'root' ...

Another thing : The bootmanager Xdialog to add a module froze yesterday with 80% CPU usage , and it was astonishing , because i had closed all applications and just before poweroff i remembered to load the 'it87' temperature module .
Simply 'Xdialog -msgbox "HELLO" 0 0' works today ... without save-file .
I checked the savefile 'fsck -v -f' and no corruptions found .

But this it for now .

Karl Godt

#39 Post by Karl Godt »

The bootmanager Xdialog to add a module froze yesterday with 80% CPU usage
I recompiled Xdialog from debian lenny , because there is no Xdialog for later debians , including the patch on my machine "uname -m 'i686'" with "./configure --with-gtk2" which installs to /usr/local and the Xdialog of bootmanager is working correctly now . The size of the binary is still 'ls -s 69KB" .
The only thing is
"(Xdialog:26076): Pango-WARNING **: Invalid UTF-8 string passed to pango_layout_set_text()"
that spits out .

HTH

Another 2 things :

rc.shutdown :

I would like the idea to default to SFEXT="2fs" choosing encryption , even if the user had chosen 3fs before : The savefile gets created in ext3 but only read-only , so no save was made and no message about that .

The syntax in pupsave_func has changed since Puppy4.3 , and it would take me some time to understand it , before I could make any suggestions .

initrd/init :

Booting with only one warysave-file on the disk also went good with only " pdev1=sda4" on the kernel line , without "psubdir" parameter .
Having more than one warysave on the disk :
No real error message , but booted the partition the kernel had been compiled on :
file /mnt/home/RACY_01/vmlinuz
/mnt/home/RACY_01/vmlinuz: Linux kernel x86 boot executable bzImage, version 2.6.39.4 (root@puppypc) #1 SMP , RO-rootFS, root_dev 0x809, swap_dev 0x2, Normal VGA

which stands for first sata drive ='Major 08' ; and partition 9 ='Minor 09' .

I actually had been happy about that , because that partition is out of the boot range of my BIOS and I used it for backups , storage and kernel compiling(which I abandomed on this machine , because it took 5 to 6 hours to finish ) . Had Puppy installed full on it , too , and because i had opened the initrd.gz i was able to modprobe squashfs and after that copying the modules out of the dotsfs onto the partition . The kernel ran fine : internet could be accessed . I compiled latest e2fsprogs to try to access the crypt-warysave and really needed some headers from the 2.6.39.4 kernel to get the ext4progs compiled . Nevertheless only one feature ( 18 ) is supported more , and while the crypted savefile.3fs could be mounted , still "-o remount,rw" did not work and the new e2fsck could not access it either .

But I think this is not intended . Also reading and understanding the code would take me some days why the save file menu did not show at boot .

A yes about mtpaint : searching the forum i found the lhpup mtpaint 3.34.33here by technosaurus .
The thread is very interesting , and also ttuuxxx mtpaint-3.31 is very nice because of the icons but 3.31 is missing the dock feature .

And for the usability of mtpaint of 3.33.64 :
This thread really addresses my problem : before i had been able to drag and drop layers into mtpaint , and now there is a workaround by copying , exporting and importing to clipboard explained by forum member aarf , but the results are not the same : The color-palettes dont get imported but merged .

Karl Godt

#40 Post by Karl Godt »

Booting with only one warysave-file on the disk also went good with only " pdev1=sda4" on the kernel line , without "psubdir" parameter .
Having more than one warysave on the disk :
No real error message , but booted the partition the kernel had been compiled on :
I wrote this , but now i cant confirm this anymore : adding "" or "pdev1=sda4" or "pdev=sda4" or "pdev=sda5" or "psubdir=/RACY_01" or "PDEV=sd4" to "kernel /RACY_01/vmlinuz " always gave me now the three warysaves to choose from on sda4 - there is also a /wary098/warysave-098.3fs on sda7 but that did not show in the menu at boot .
I seem to have left out the initrd line then , booting it manually by grub4dos shell .

I also booted accidentially the encrypted 3.fs savefile while having a pupsaveresize.txt in the RACY folder : the encryption seems to be gone , the resizing worked and the filesystem now is without "-j" [ =ext2 ] .

It seems to be not to difficult to add the savefile name to the pupsaveresize.txt :

--- /initrd/pup_ro2/usr/sbin/resizepfile.sh	2010-09-13 11:25:39.000000000 +0100
+++ /usr/sbin/resizepfile.sh	2011-09-26 19:58:25.000000000 +0100
@@ -116,7 +116,8 @@ case ${REPLYX} in
    ;;
 esac

-echo -n "$KILOBIG" > /initrd${PUP_HOME}/pupsaveresize.txt
+SAVEFILEONLY=`echo "$PUPSAVE" | sed 's/^[[:blank:]]*//g' | cut -f 3 -d ','`
+echo -n "$KILOBIG,$SAVEFILEONLY" > /initrd${PUP_HOME}/pupsaveresize.txt

xmessage -center -bg "orange" -title "Resize personal storage file" "Okay, you have chosen to increase $NAMEPFILE by $KILOBIG Kbytes,
 however as the file is currently in use, it will happen at reboot.
and for the initrd-init :

--- /mnt/home/RACY_01/INITRD/initrd.d/init.original	2011-09-23 22:48:28.000000000 +0100
+++ /root/init	2011-09-26 19:58:09.000000000 +0100
@@ -885,12 +885,15 @@ if [ "$CREATEPUPSAVE2FS" != "" ];then
     #v3.01 will take this out as a func later (similar code below)...
     #about to mount ${DISTRO_FILE_PREFIX}save.2fs, but before that check if need to resize it...
     if [ -f /mnt/dev_save/pupsaveresize.txt ];then #created by /usr/sbin/resizepfile.sh
-     KILOBIG=`cat /mnt/dev_save/pupsaveresize.txt`
+     KILOBIG=`cat /mnt/dev_save/pupsaveresize.txt | sed 's/^[[:blank:]]*//g' | cut -f 1 -d ','` ##KRG
+     SAVEFILERESIZEFILE=`cat /mnt/dev_save/pupsaveresize.txt | sed 's/^[[:blank:]]*//g' | cut -f 2 -d ','` ##KRG
+      if [ "$PUPSAVEFILE" = "$SAVEFILERESIZEFILE" ] ; then ##KRG
      rm -f /mnt/dev_save/pupsaveresize.txt
      echo > /dev/console
      echo -n "Increasing $PUPSAVEFILE by $KILOBIG Kbytes, please wait..." >/dev/console
      dd if=/dev/zero bs=1024 count=$KILOBIG >> /mnt/dev_save$PUPSAVEFILE
      sync
+      fi  ##KRG
      if [ "$CRYPTO" = "-e aes" ];then #v3.98
       echo "NOTICE: As you type your password nothing will be displayed on the" >/dev/console
       echo "screen for absolute security. Just type it in then press ENTER key..." >/dev/console
@@ -947,7 +950,9 @@ if [ "$CREATEPUPSAVE2FS" != "" ];then
   else #pupsave not encrypted.
    #about to mount ${DISTRO_FILE_PREFIX}save.2fs, but before that check if need to resize it...
    if [ -f /mnt/dev_save/pupsaveresize.txt ];then #created by /usr/sbin/resizepfile.sh
-    KILOBIG=`cat /mnt/dev_save/pupsaveresize.txt`
+    KILOBIG=`cat /mnt/dev_save/pupsaveresize.txt | sed 's/^[[:blank:]]*//g' | cut -f 1 -d ','` ##KRG ##edit : changed '-f 2' to '-f 1'
+    SAVEFILERESIZEFILE=`cat /mnt/dev_save/pupsaveresize.txt | sed 's/^[[:blank:]]*//g' | cut -f 2 -d ','` ##KRG
+     if [ "$PUPSAVEFILE" = "$SAVEFILERESIZEFILE" ] ; then  ##KRG
     rm -f /mnt/dev_save/pupsaveresize.txt
     echo > /dev/console
     echo -n "Increasing $PUPSAVEFILE by $KILOBIG Kbytes, please wait..." >/dev/console
@@ -958,6 +963,7 @@ if [ "$CREATEPUPSAVE2FS" != "" ];then
     sync
     check_status 0 #note, e2fsck gives an error even though it works. v2.21 maybe okay now.
     echo -n "...continuing with loading $PUPSAVEFILE..." > /dev/console
+     fi ##KRG
    fi
    losetup /dev/loop1 /mnt/dev_save${PUPSAVEFILE}
    SFFS='ext'`echo -n "$PUPSAVEFILE" | rev | cut -c 3`
I have not tested this , it is just a suggestion ; also if done before shutdown and not booting it for some days someone may have forgotten about that resizesavefile.txt .

For any wary packages :

mrxvt and xterm-250 are working ; but

mrxvt replaces urxvt with a link to mrxvt ; I would prefer having two console emulators - just in case .

and

xterm-250 installs to /usr/X11R7/bin so typing xterm in the console would still run the script in /usr/bin/ and there is no DOTdesktop file for it in the package .
Last edited by Karl Godt on Tue 27 Sep 2011, 10:33, edited 1 time in total.

01micko

#41 Post by 01micko »

Hi Barry

I am in a bit of a break from Slacko dev for a few days so I thought I'd try Racy. My machine is an X2 3gig Athlon with nvidia forcedeth board, 2 G RAM, nvidia 8600gs PCIE video, so I figured racy should be good.

First, I got to the desktop and had an out of range res, my monitor is 1280x1024 max, the driver picked was vesa.

I tried the graphical xorgwizard and all it did was restart X.. this I think is due to the auto xorg.. when I was booting to desktop in slacko I forced a config file that when read prevented that from happening.

Next stop was to drop to a prompt and choose nouveau from xorgwizard, xwin and got a nice desktop. I got online no problem, rt73usb wireless,

Next stop was to see if I could get mesa, I get really good acceleration with nouveau in slacko and thought it would be likewise in racy but then it just crashed :( .. bunch of output on the console, doesn't mean much to me. If you want I can try and capture it, may be useful to you. Oh, the last word was "panic". I didn't.

Cheers
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

BarryK
Puppy Master

#42 Post by BarryK »

01micko wrote:Hi Barry

I am in a bit of a break from Slacko dev for a few days so I thought I'd try Racy. My machine is an X2 3gig Athlon with nvidia forcedeth board, 2 G RAM, nvidia 8600gs PCIE video, so I figured racy should be good.

First, I got to the desktop and had an out of range res, my monitor is 1280x1024 max, the driver picked was vesa.

I tried the graphical xorgwizard and all it did was restart X.. this I think is due to the auto xorg.. when I was booting to desktop in slacko I forced a config file that when read prevented that from happening.

Next stop was to drop to a prompt and choose nouveau from xorgwizard, xwin and got a nice desktop. I got online no problem, rt73usb wireless,

Next stop was to see if I could get mesa, I get really good acceleration with nouveau in slacko and thought it would be likewise in racy but then it just crashed :( .. bunch of output on the console, doesn't mean much to me. If you want I can try and capture it, may be useful to you. Oh, the last word was "panic". I didn't.

Cheers
Mick,
Racy already has the complete Mesa. There is nothing to add.

The wary5 repo did have an old mesa update PET, which was only appropriate for previous Wary releases. I have now removed that PET.
[url]https://bkhome.org/news/[/url]

01micko

#43 Post by 01micko »

I will point out that I only clicked the button to try to get a video upgrade .. told me I was fine actually and then for no apparent reason the system crashed, so it was unrelated to anything really (that I can pinpoint) .. just decided to die.. it happens.

If it's any consolation.. I just compiled 2.6.39.4 exactly to your instructions (plus some mods to config provided by tempestuous and pemasu), woofed up a slacko and it cant boot. May well be my HW and that kernel.. it didn't like 2.6.38.x either.
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

BarryK
Puppy Master

#44 Post by BarryK »

Racy 5.1.101 (5.2 beta1) is out, see my blog announcement:

http://bkhome.org/blog/?viewDetailed=02510

Important note, I have not yet studied all of the earlier posts in this Forum thread, will do so soon. There are also some posts in the Wary thread that I have still to look into.

I wanted to get out the first beta for the upcoming Racy 5.2, as it seems to have reached sufficient maturity to be classified as a beta. Fingers crossed.

Lots of interesting things in it, bug fixes, well worth bringing out I reckon.

I want to take off a couple of days, which was another reason for bringing it out now. Today I will work on a couple of issues with this Racy. After my mini-break I intend to upload Woof and do a 5.2beta1 build of Wary.
[url]https://bkhome.org/news/[/url]

Sage

#45 Post by Sage »

Is it worthwhile offering Tiny Racy in the future?
Ummm - yes, or rather no!
If Wary is still intended to target the real world beyond NYC, then a <=50Mb .iso would seem to be the best landfill panacea.
If you want to run with the lemmings and create a Racy for a minority of spoilt brats with too much cash that's a different matter. Perhaps you could write a textual overlay wallpaper suggesting that this group consider giving their fortunes to their starving fellow citizens instead of propping up greedy capitalists?

Volhout

mplayer fullscreen

#46 Post by Volhout »

Running Racy 5.1.101 from USB (frugal).

Athlon64 platform
Xorg/sound/eth0 all automatic and working correct. Nice !!
Flash downloaded (after prompt) and working.

Problem: Mplayer is not scaling up to fullscreen.
- when video window is maximized, then dual small video (1 frozen, one active playing ... see attached).
- when screen is maximized through control window then window maximizes, but only small video is shown.

Tried "xv" video output, but result is the same. Tried to start Xorgwizard to see if I can debug or improve, but does not work.
Select Xorgwizard via menu tries to start via cmd line, but crashes, and reverts back to X11 desktop.

Same bug on Core2Duo7500 PC.

Mplayer works correct on the same hardware in Wary 5.1.4.1

Volhout.
Attachments
mplayer fullscreen.png
mplayer video
(157.97 KiB) Downloaded 635 times
Last edited by Volhout on Thu 29 Sep 2011, 13:10, edited 1 time in total.

davids45

#47 Post by davids45 »

G'day,

Installed a frugal Racy-5.1.101 to my desk-top hard-drive copying files from mounted iso to a subdirectory (=manual install?).

Nice display using vesa driver. I have had problems with some debian/ubuntu-based radeon drivers but the racy vesa gives 1600x900, and the prompt for a save file before shutting down racy dodged any problem with loss of graphics from the radeon card/driver. I just need this in the lupu-based pups!

My loaded-at-boot sfs's run well (games, wine+programs, graphics, LibreOffice, etc). Internet (wired only) connected without delay.

I can also power-down this racy and not have the reboot-instead-of-power-down situation that this desktop has with slackos-b3 and newer, and with the previous racy (xxx.99).

Only problems I found worth noting:

1) mplayer can't do DTV like it used to?

2) tried to do a full install from the frugal using the universal installer and the racy files in /mnt/home/racy-5.1.101/ directory, but during the checking of the partitions on sda, I got the anonymous "sanity failure report" and failure to <Continue> with the full install past this. This hasn't been an issue with other recent Pups in creating a full install this way. There are some 'errors' on my hard drive partitions where they don't start and finish at some particular value, apparently a linux peculiarity?

Thanks,

David S.

L18L

Racy Puppy 5.1.101

#48 Post by L18L »

Frugal install on a SSD

1 bug
# defaultbrowser
/usr/local/bin/mozstart: line 12: exec: mozilla: not found

started browser by changing /usr/local/bin/mozstart:

#[ "$COMTAIL" = "" ] && exec mozilla #v3.94
[ "$COMTAIL" = "" ] && /usr/lib/seamonkey-2.3.2/seamonkey # quick and dirty hack

1 success
OPENCHROME driver used out of the box :)

Xorg.0.log
[ 688.476] Freed 12587008 (pool 1)
[ 688.476] (--) CHROME(0): Using SSE YUV42X copy for video.
[ 688.476] (WW) CHROME(0): [XvMC] XvMC is not supported on this chipset.
[ 688.477] (WW) CHROME(0): Option "PreferredMode" is not used
[ 688.477] (II) CHROME(0): - Done
[ 688.477] (**) RandR enabled
[ 688.477] (II) Initializing built-in extension Generic Event Extension
Thank you :)

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#49 Post by Lobster »

Did a graphic card update but could not play an avi vid in double size or full screen.
Sorry Barry - only just seen this . . .
Basically (from what I remember) there is an extra drivers video wizard
available from wizard wizard (the master wizard) and I used that.

Beta 1 incidentally went to desktop, connected to Ethernet, played sound and video OK after the initial start up questions. I also looked to find what you had left out - I could not see any glaring omissions. So this is a great smaller Puppy for lean and mean modernity . . .
Put a link on the wiki
Hope others will be impressed with this 'retro sized' Puppy :)

I have to mention styling. Stark I like, a lot. Partly because it would work great on a future tablet . . .
However some of the icons are variations on a circle that make no obvious differentiation.

The shut down sequence went to a black screen (that needs to be confirmed by others) 8)
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

L18L

Racy Puppy 5.1.101 (5.2 beta1)

#50 Post by L18L »

Lobster wrote:...
The shut down sequence went to a black screen (that needs to be confirmed by others) 8)
Cannot confirm this. For me shutdown was expected behavior (last message on console translated) 8)
L