Possibly Precise bug Nvidia

Please post any bugs you have found
Sulphurcocky

Possibly Precise bug Nvidia

#1 Post by Sulphurcocky »

I have just tried 5.40 Precise , looks nice but it may possibly have a bug, to be expected I have Dell Dimension 4500 1.8 686 with Nvidia Fx5200 PCI (AGP slot not populated)
Most of screen is visible but drive icons go missing even though they reappear after clicking,
and lower portion of menu does not have the items visible (perhaps font color same color as background) All the menu entries work so I can still shutdown from memory of menu selection,
The problem exists on the menu from the lower parts of Multimedia menu - i moved bar and tray to the top of the screen , it is better but still missing shutdown and window menu selection.

I downloaded a Nvidia 173.14 pet package and will try installing that and restricting the Nvidia community driver.

Sulphurcocky

Update on problem

#2 Post by Sulphurcocky »

Tried Nvidia Driver 173.14 pet - same result
did have Nvidia cinfig in system menu it says I needed to run Nvidia-xconfig
when I did no improvement

Did many Ctrl + Alt + Backspace from xorg ran xorgwizard and selected
Nouveau
Nvidia Nvidia
Nv Nvidia

..all modes.1024x768 16,24: 800x600 16,24....etc

Results Nvidia (installed middle choice eventually gave me 600x400 with no problems. others had same problems and Nv hung after startx

More info
I also run AriOs Ubuntu 11.04 based with AWN - ok
I have run Ubuntu 12.04 daily build from Lunuxuser&developer mag issue 110 It works fine - and with Nvidia

I use Puppy 5.28 straight off the CD and it loads Nouveau - Everything good
Also I run an early Lighthouse with 4.43G (i think it has nvidia drivers is ok.
and love Puppy 4.31 with Nvidia drivers straight from Nvidia they are also ok.

I am now thinking it could be more xorg - but I don't know any more.

just thought I'd throw it out there

Thanks
David

baasically much of the bottom half of the screen does not draw/redray properly

Sulphurcocky

Vesa Now Working

#3 Post by Sulphurcocky »

Last update unless I have a total solution.

I tried the icon on the intro page , I had thought it was a decoration :oops: what with the flat look and outline icons.

This offered video options, to remove the nouveau driver and reboot, Yes please - All worked.
I now have 800x600 Vesa , for some reason it flags 1024x764 as not suitable for the virtual desktop.

various puppy system tools still say that noveau is loaded. I presume it also does vesa.

caveat
nv now crashes where in other versions of puppy it didn't
[edit]
nouveau doesn't work at 1024x764 where in other versions of puppy it did.

as for the rest of Precise looks good, nice work
(I also got my favorite music app gogglemm ..12.. up and running using the new deb and pets from murga ).

so I'm off and running.

Thanks
David

Peter.M

#4 Post by Peter.M »

David there is a known bug in kernel (all distros) video with nvidia particularly optimus, vesa works ok but otherwise blinks black screens etc this is fixed kernel 3.5 (late) and up so I am told - see my post under "5.4.and 5.4.1 beta" under bugs

Sulphurcocky

Whoo Hoo Success

#5 Post by Sulphurcocky »

[Edit]
I went into Xorgxizard at the prompt (Ctrl Alt + Backspace) without using the Locale/Resolution Changer and
chose 1024x768 16bit option then typed xwin to restart the xserver

the screen draws perfectly.

I was using extended bit depths for my card it seems and Nvidia had to
do special things that nueveau could not yet do. the loading of the drivers by xorg is still sus some weren't there and black screened.

I have downloaded 5.41 delta and will try again with that but for now I have overcome the screen redraw.
it has same problem but the same solution worked for it too.

Some of my problem fixing it was that I got stuck into choice of resolution xserver would not come out of, eventually blackscreening. and forcing me to start over

One comment about problem when viewing any document if maximized the bottom half would disappear but when restored to a middle size and not occupying whole screen area it drew ok. Even though the bottom of the window was in the problem area.

Anyway fixed now

also Thanks Peter.M I saw that
it explains why I was getting flaky results booting other distros.

Also I noticed during my comparisons that Lucid5.28 was stating one thing in their pprocess-Graphics server watch file stating other things in different sections of Pupscan and yet the restrict/ban module said the neuveau (spelling) driver had been banned. It was a little better with Precise, perhaps the bug fix may improve that.

So I suggest a folks should look at all the reports before believing anything.

Thanks
David