Slacko B4

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
01micko

#76 Post by 01micko »

Charlie, you can do it manually anyway, drop to the prompt and run xorgwizard, then before you type xwin run "BROOKDALE" (caps, no quotes.) :) run xwin and all is happy in Brookdale virtual land.
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

peebee

#77 Post by peebee »

Hi Mick

Pristine manual frugal install on my HP550.

Looking good - network via Frisbee (thanks) is good, sound is good, pnethood is good, remote smbc printing is good, touchpad is slow on first boot but I can set it to acceptable speed etc. without your extra bit.

Shutdown works fine for me.

Added acpitool and pupcontrol to get suspend - works fine. Pupcontrol would be a useful permanent addition I think.

Small comment on the new pupsave gui - the selection display is so subtly different to the un-selected that it is difficult to know you have selected the desired setting - and it is very yellow!!

I thought you had posted a packaged smplayer but can't find it in the repo - did it ever get uploaded? (I still need a different player for dvb-t).

Cheers & congrats
peebee
ImageLxPup = Puppy + LXDE
Main version used daily: LxPupSc; Assembler of UPups, ScPup & ScPup64, LxPup, LxPupSc & LxPupSc64

pemasu

#78 Post by pemasu »

http://www.smokey01.com/01micko/pet_pac ... 9-i686.pet

I usually search straight from the repo. You can be sure that you see what there are.

Jades

#79 Post by Jades »

01micko wrote:Jades, I might compile ffmpeg/mplayer i486 and put them in the repo
Thanks, I appreciate that. For the vast majority of people the i686 version is probably best, no sense in holding everyone else back. It's only Wary where the default version needs to be i486-compatible.
01micko wrote:my bad about mesa, works ok from PPM.
Didn't think of checking Mesa, so used to using Xorg-High on Lupu. The recommendation in Slickpet should probably be changed if Mesa has replaced Xorg-High. Which package is the one you're referring to? There seems to be more than one.
Zhaan - AMD K6 2 500, 512MB RAM, ATI Rage 128 VR. Full install Wary 5.5 [url=http://tinyurl.com/dy66kh8]HardInfo Report[/url]
Merlin - Core i5-4590, 8GB RAM, Radeon R9 270X. Slacko 5.7.0

01micko

#80 Post by 01micko »

Jades

Yep, that was a legacy thing with xorg_high, fixed.. check this ..
http://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/dis ... i486-s.pet

for the rest
http://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/dis ... i686-s.pet

Peebee, yep smplayer is certainly there, but as I said I have to build a package with deps so it doesn't drag in the huge qt unless of course you want it :wink:

Later.. ok I got round to packageing and uploading smplayer and umplayer standalone, they wont conflict if you install qt-everywhere

http://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/dis ... 9-i686.pet 7.4M

http://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/dis ... 7-i486.pet 8.9M

-

mavrothal
mavrothal wrote: The second issue is showing in the conn_wiz picture. Would be nice if the window had the full width without the need for a horizontal scroll bar.
this is fixed .. there is a test for vertical screen size, if lesss than 600 you get the scroll bars, same with some other guis

Also that icon issue is weird, I'll find a different icon.. I just can't line it up :roll:

Thanks for heads up about bluetooth pemasu, lucky I didn't start yet :P , I also got the good oil from tempestuous about scsi and new broadcom stuff.
Last edited by 01micko on Sat 24 Sep 2011, 11:39, edited 1 time in total.

pemasu

#81 Post by pemasu »

01micko. Yep, those three kernel module driver additions have been in the table in recent kernel discussions. Barrys specs includes that broadcom driver, but check it in staging section. vgaswitcheroo needs debugfs, do not disable it if you wonder why it is there. It is nice addition for those dual graphics owners if they want to play with on the fly graphics switching. It might even work.

I count now about 4-5 reasons why to test newer kernel. And it might have some other new drivers included as bonus.

mavrothal

#82 Post by mavrothal »

01micko wrote: Compiling ffmpeg now :wink:
while at it could you look why guvcview-1.5.0 fails on video recording with

Code: Select all

Checking video mode 320x240@32bpp : OK 
[mp2 @ 0x83d59c0] codec type or id mismatches
could not open codec
Segmentation fault
A fast google search points to ffmpeg
== [url=http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html]Here is how to solve your[/url] [url=https://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/bugs.html]Linux problems fast[/url] ==

mories

sfs_load

#83 Post by mories »

01micko

Re: sfs_load

#84 Post by 01micko »

mories wrote:Slacko B4 has this little bug
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 425#538425
I see.. but this could cause sfs_load to bug.. I'll add the fix but will consult with shinobar.. the fix makes the script useless.
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

cowboy

brookdale "r" us

#85 Post by cowboy »

01micko - report on B4 and my Brookdale "r" us chip. :wink:

having difficulty with B4, the brookdale effect is alive and well, I'm getting lines and shattered desktops with every new boot. Posting now from Seamonkey and B4 running vesa. That holds. Have tried the manual "BROOKDALE" command but getting there is a problem - the screen either goes black while trying to exit to prompt, or if I can get there and run "BROOKDALE", when I then try to execute "xwin", the screen goes black and stays black.

Often, effect begins shortly after hearing the "woof woof" bark, and a couple of times, the screen has gone completely black after the opening bark. A few other times, I've reached the "Personalize Settings" block, only to have the screen go black after making my choices there. Happens whether I choose OK at that point, or try and invoke xorgwizard from the button.

One note, and it's just me. I found the pre-checked boxes for Numlock and the UTC clock confusing on Personalize Settings. Took me a bit to realize they were not pre-checked, and that you have a hover effect there to turn them both blue and checked.

If you need me to test anything in particular 01micko, just let me know. I like how Slacko is shaping up; your efforts are paying off, and there are some great programs included. thanks.

p.s. The "Brookdale Effect"? was that a Vonnegut short story?
[i]"you fix what you can fix and you let the rest go.."[/i] - Cormac McCarthy - No Country For Old Men.

Jades

#86 Post by Jades »

01micko wrote:Yep, that was a legacy thing with xorg_high, fixed..
Downloaded mesa-7.10.2-s from PPM and installed on Pentium D machine without problems, getting around 297 fps on glxgears, not bad.
Thanks! Seems to be working OK on the K6, on one of the rare occasions when it's decided to start properly. Played a couple of MP3s on GNOME MPlayer without incident. Will test more.
Zhaan - AMD K6 2 500, 512MB RAM, ATI Rage 128 VR. Full install Wary 5.5 [url=http://tinyurl.com/dy66kh8]HardInfo Report[/url]

Sage

#87 Post by Sage »

We go back to Stardust
Why not upgrade the Soldiers' Point to have a video + sound loop of the waves on the shore?

zigbert

#88 Post by zigbert »

It seems that I have fixed the Pburn trouble.
Will come back with updates later

Sigmund

zigbert

#89 Post by zigbert »

Here it is

Jades

#90 Post by Jades »

I've uploaded a HardInfo report for Slacko B4 running on Merlin, the Pentium D machine. The address is http://www.jades.org/comps/hir_merlin_slacko_b4.html - this is the machine with the indifferent wireless performance.

drblock2

#91 Post by drblock2 »

mick01

No, you cannot hide your light under a bushel. We will always find you, but a link to this thread from the first page of the B3 thread would have facilitated things :). Google solved the problem and I later discovered that there is a link via slickpet and puppy news - but this seems rather roundabout.

Installation on my AMD Athlon 2000 MHz machine (ca. 2002) worked fine. Automatic ethernet connection and sound configured properly on boot, nv driver installed. Cannon Lida 25 scanner works out of the box.

I am impressed by the new look - although the font rendering could possibly be better.

Now for a number of small points:

1. The welcome box on start up reappears sporadically. Once at start up when it is appropriate and again after dowloading Flash Player in SeaMonkey and once again after updating nv to nvidia.

2. PPM works well, but does not inform the user that the package has been successfully installed.

3. CUPS also works perfectly, but the introductory screen after "Add New Printer" disappears after a few seconds, not enough time for a nooby to read it.

4. Shut down with save file and eth0 connection causes reboot when started from the menu, but works correctly if I exit X and type "poweroff" at the command line. (Incidentally, shut down is much faster than on most other puppies, which take for-e-e-e-e-ver to shut down when local network drives are attached.)

5. Abiword does not open .odt or .docx files, which reduces it usefulness considerably. This is not a specifically Slacko problem.

6. The libGLU.so files necessary for VirtualBox are missing, but I was able to borrow them from Slacko's sister Luci. All three seem to be identical. I will check this out and report back. If true, this would reduce the necessary capacity by ca. 1 MB.

In general, Slacko B4 makes a solid impression - it also seems to be the fastest Puppy of all. Super!

rodin.s

lang_pack_ru

#92 Post by rodin.s »

We need lang packs for the repo that can be auto accessed by first-run (shino).. anyone interested???

I have made lang_pack_ru for Slacko-4.99.5 and now I need to update it a little for beta 4.

rcrsn51

#93 Post by rcrsn51 »

drblock2 wrote:3. CUPS also works perfectly, but the introductory screen after "Add New Printer" disappears after a few seconds, not enough time for a nooby to read it.
Most of the information on that screen is out of date. It perpetuates the myth that you can install a printer just by finding its PPD file.

The entire cups_shell script could be replaced with one line:

Code: Select all

defaultbrowser http://localhost:631
Last edited by rcrsn51 on Sat 24 Sep 2011, 19:20, edited 1 time in total.

jim3630

#94 Post by jim3630 »

01micko wrote:[
Xorg_High=Mesa in Slacko. It was supposed to work in Slickpet [ :oops: ].. however it does work in PPM.. go to PPM, puppy-slacko > system > mesa-7.10.2-s, about 21M
01micko did fresh pfix=ram installed mesa-7.10.2-s.pet restarted x and got

# glxgears
Running synchronized to the vertical refresh. The framerate should be
approximately the same as the monitor refresh rate.
276 frames in 5.0 seconds = 55.097 FPS
377 frames in 5.0 seconds = 75.258 FPS
377 frames in 5.0 seconds = 75.261 FPS
377 frames in 5.0 seconds = 75.259 FPS
377 frames in 5.0 seconds = 75.259 FPS

this is one of the few puppys that fixed the geometry automatically to the correct FPS as the monitor refresh rate. very nice.

all my shut downs have worked without converting to a reboot on this box with frisbee installed.

confirm on the pupsave dialog I cannot tell which of the selections I have chosen. it does not highlight.

rcrsn51

#95 Post by rcrsn51 »

The default GTK theme "23oz" has an odd appearance with check boxes. You can see this on the CUPS administration page, where all the items on the right side appear to be checked. There is just a subtle difference in brightness between checked and unchecked.

Even a non-nooby might find this confusing.