Slacko B4

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
drblock2

#91 Post by drblock2 »

mick01

No, you cannot hide your light under a bushel. We will always find you, but a link to this thread from the first page of the B3 thread would have facilitated things :). Google solved the problem and I later discovered that there is a link via slickpet and puppy news - but this seems rather roundabout.

Installation on my AMD Athlon 2000 MHz machine (ca. 2002) worked fine. Automatic ethernet connection and sound configured properly on boot, nv driver installed. Cannon Lida 25 scanner works out of the box.

I am impressed by the new look - although the font rendering could possibly be better.

Now for a number of small points:

1. The welcome box on start up reappears sporadically. Once at start up when it is appropriate and again after dowloading Flash Player in SeaMonkey and once again after updating nv to nvidia.

2. PPM works well, but does not inform the user that the package has been successfully installed.

3. CUPS also works perfectly, but the introductory screen after "Add New Printer" disappears after a few seconds, not enough time for a nooby to read it.

4. Shut down with save file and eth0 connection causes reboot when started from the menu, but works correctly if I exit X and type "poweroff" at the command line. (Incidentally, shut down is much faster than on most other puppies, which take for-e-e-e-e-ver to shut down when local network drives are attached.)

5. Abiword does not open .odt or .docx files, which reduces it usefulness considerably. This is not a specifically Slacko problem.

6. The libGLU.so files necessary for VirtualBox are missing, but I was able to borrow them from Slacko's sister Luci. All three seem to be identical. I will check this out and report back. If true, this would reduce the necessary capacity by ca. 1 MB.

In general, Slacko B4 makes a solid impression - it also seems to be the fastest Puppy of all. Super!

rodin.s

lang_pack_ru

#92 Post by rodin.s »

We need lang packs for the repo that can be auto accessed by first-run (shino).. anyone interested???

I have made lang_pack_ru for Slacko-4.99.5 and now I need to update it a little for beta 4.

rcrsn51

#93 Post by rcrsn51 »

drblock2 wrote:3. CUPS also works perfectly, but the introductory screen after "Add New Printer" disappears after a few seconds, not enough time for a nooby to read it.
Most of the information on that screen is out of date. It perpetuates the myth that you can install a printer just by finding its PPD file.

The entire cups_shell script could be replaced with one line:

Code: Select all

defaultbrowser http://localhost:631
Last edited by rcrsn51 on Sat 24 Sep 2011, 19:20, edited 1 time in total.

jim3630

#94 Post by jim3630 »

01micko wrote:[
Xorg_High=Mesa in Slacko. It was supposed to work in Slickpet [ :oops: ].. however it does work in PPM.. go to PPM, puppy-slacko > system > mesa-7.10.2-s, about 21M
01micko did fresh pfix=ram installed mesa-7.10.2-s.pet restarted x and got

# glxgears
Running synchronized to the vertical refresh. The framerate should be
approximately the same as the monitor refresh rate.
276 frames in 5.0 seconds = 55.097 FPS
377 frames in 5.0 seconds = 75.258 FPS
377 frames in 5.0 seconds = 75.261 FPS
377 frames in 5.0 seconds = 75.259 FPS
377 frames in 5.0 seconds = 75.259 FPS

this is one of the few puppys that fixed the geometry automatically to the correct FPS as the monitor refresh rate. very nice.

all my shut downs have worked without converting to a reboot on this box with frisbee installed.

confirm on the pupsave dialog I cannot tell which of the selections I have chosen. it does not highlight.

rcrsn51

#95 Post by rcrsn51 »

The default GTK theme "23oz" has an odd appearance with check boxes. You can see this on the CUPS administration page, where all the items on the right side appear to be checked. There is just a subtle difference in brightness between checked and unchecked.

Even a non-nooby might find this confusing.

jim3630

#96 Post by jim3630 »

pemasu wrote: Also you get that new broadcom driver jim3630 has been stubbornly speaking of. You get rid of his complaints also... :D
I said the latter positively, no hard feelings behind. Dont take me wrong. Lol.
pemasu ha, ha, good to see your sense of humor friend. stubborn carries a connotation of : difficult to handle, manage, or treat and 01micko is more than able to handle me. I would have used persistent because I've "remaining infective for a relatively long time."

jim3630

#97 Post by jim3630 »

now have shut down converted to reboot with only broadcom wl, frisbee from menu, and mesa 7-10.s- pets installed.

zigbert

#98 Post by zigbert »

Pmusic 2.1.3

mavrothal

#99 Post by mavrothal »

rcrsn51 wrote:The default GTK theme "23oz" has an odd appearance with check boxes.
-----
Even a non-nooby might find this confusing.
Totally agree.
Also the fact that the check mark is there (see semonkey prefs for an example) makes things even more confusing.
Please change.

On a related note (though just a matter of taste), these "blue a round themes" adopted on latest luci and slacko, look to me (an old time mac user) like "OS9 classic meets gtk1" :roll:
== [url=http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html]Here is how to solve your[/url] [url=https://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/bugs.html]Linux problems fast[/url] ==

Stripe

#100 Post by Stripe »

hi all

just a useability issue with the first run wizard, I was setting up a frugal install from an iso image on a hard drive and getting the machine to boot using grub4dos. After booting the machine from the cd the autorun of settings was nothing but a pain (seemed to slow the machine down as well), I did not want to change any settings or connect to the internet.

is there any chance of making the first run wizard operate from a desktop icon so that it does not automatically run? or a simple yes/no gui asking if you want to run it? it can always be run later from the personalize settings option in the menu

I have just experienced a reboot from the power off command, wireless via sns and a frugal install

cheers

don

01micko

#101 Post by 01micko »

Stripe, I think first run has to happen for our international users, or perhaps in the splash I could make it an option, however that first splash is not going to be localised, maybe make it as non verbose as possible,, is there a good icon available that represents "internationalisation"??? I can put that on the button. I can ensure it only runs once.

I think Barry has admitted that shutdown problems occur with shutdownconfig, apparently fixed.

Next version will have new jwm and gtk themes, 23oz is gone to ppm. The theme will be rockin' :) (and tiny)

zigbert -great pburn is fixed, if not any trouble can you pm me a diff of the file(s) affected? Or a brief explanation, very curious :). Got it, new pmusic-2.1.3

yep, cupshell will simply be "defaultbrowser http://localhost:631", all the other stuff is deprecated.

Dr Block, PPM issues are with gtkdialog splash, if cursor is centre screen then the dialog disappears before you see it, I'll inform Barry.

As for font rendering, my experience on my 8 test machines [includes 2 olpc xo and an intel mac] is very good, especially on the Intel Brookdale, it renders superb.

I did build the odt plugin for abiword but it doesn't work :( . I believe it's possible to build only the writer component for libreoffice, Any one want to try? I suggest from libreoffice 3.3.4 as there are reported printing issues with 3.4x. This would be a cool replacement in PPM.

rodin.s, thanks for working on lang packs, later today I'll start a thread for this.

--

Shinobar.. is this a specific slacko lang pack for JA?

http://182.164.209.64/puppy/wary/langua ... -1.1-s.sfs

I just noticed the "-s" suffix. Thanks. It's dated 21 August 2011
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

playdayz

#102 Post by playdayz »

Is this supposed to happen? Yes, I just checked and it did it on first boot. Just ignore if this is already settled.
Attachments
supposed_to_happen.png
(89.64 KiB) Downloaded 910 times

01micko

#103 Post by 01micko »

playdayz wrote:Is this supposed to happen? Yes, I just checked and it did it on first boot. Just ignore if this is already settled.
Intentional.. improved for next, based on screen res. :wink: Part of the on going effort to make aarf happy.. oh, and the millions of other users with small screen res! :)

now .. if you really want a mac gtk theme don't get this! Get "Fishing in the sky" from the "common" repo..
Attachments
gtk_theme_rockstar-0.1.pet
(15.13 KiB) Downloaded 258 times

cowboy

all well

#104 Post by cowboy »

01micko,

Followed your advice to Charlie6 again on a new bootup. Probed, then choose exit to get to prompt, ran xorgwizard, entered "BROOKDALE", and then xwin FTW! So far stable, below is report-video output. Fingers crossed, thanks to you, MHHP, Charlie6, JonT, many others for the efforts you've put into this forlorn chipset.

Installed Frisbee, you've got the old gal running great.

Just me, or does typing "BROOKDALE" in all caps make you think of Spiny Norman peeking over the horizon and muttering "DINSDALE"....Bet the Piranha bros. could teach these Intel Brookdale types a thing or two...might nail somebody's head to the floor....be a real shame.

VIDEO REPORT: Slacko Puppy, version 4.99.6

Chip description:
00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation 82845G/GL[Brookdale-G]/GE Chipset Integrated Graphics Device (rev 03)

Driver used by Xorg:
intel

Video mode used by Xorg:
Resolution: "1024x768" Depth: Depth 24
Attachments
spiny-norman-demotivational-poster-1210023291.gif.jpeg
(25.89 KiB) Downloaded 809 times
[i]"you fix what you can fix and you let the rest go.."[/i] - Cormac McCarthy - No Country For Old Men.

shinobar

lang_pack

#105 Post by shinobar »

01micko wrote: Shinobar.. is this a specific slacko lang pack for JA?

http://182.164.209.64/puppy/wary/langua ... -1.1-s.sfs

I just noticed the "-s" suffix. Thanks. It's dated 21 August 2011
Yes but it is outdated.
most recent version is lang_pack_ja-1.3.sfs for all puppies.
for all languages is lang_pack_all-0.9.sfs.
http://shino.pos.to/party/bridge.cgi?puppy/pup4/opt/
And other lang_pack pets with suffix '-w' may work for all puppies.
http://shino.pos.to/party/bridge.cgi?pu ... languages/

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=51702
Downloads for Puppy Linux [url]http://shino.pos.to/linux/downloads.html[/url]

01micko

#106 Post by 01micko »

Thanks shinobar :)

sszindian.. I have bad news.. :(

My SiS machine uses the vesa driver, I compiled as many versions as I could find of the SiS xorg driver and not one would work. It is pretty much unsupported since 2010/10 .. not good, as xorg was updated since then. It compiles just fine but what good is that when it doesn't work? I think Sage has some SiS gear.. Sage? Work for you?

The only thing I can suggest is to try to change screen res in the first-run wizard or the graphical Xorgwizard from the setup icon. Sorry I couldn't be the bearer of some magical SiS fix, similar to Brookdale. There is precious little info around the web on SiS older chips and newer Xorg, except it fails! There was one patched driver I found for Xorg-7.5 but it failed in Xorg-7.6. :? :(

I will keep trying though.. it's unacceptable! I'll see if I can raise a ticket with someone in Slackware, they are geeky enough to try and fix these things, but I'll have to install Slackware-13.37 on my SiS box for them to take me seriously :lol: .

Cheers

mikeslr

Initial Report of Beta4 with AtiRadeon 3100 Graphics

#107 Post by mikeslr »

Hi 01micko & All;

All seems well. Unpacked SlackoB4.iso to Slacko directory and rebooted.
First Run dialogue routine seemed to run a little slow. I thought it had completed and started Frisbee before it did. This created problems as completion of First Run shut down Frisbee before it could complete and thereafter it gave problems setting up, but was ultimately successful. Went on internet with Seamonkey and sound proved to work OK with Youtube Flash. For some reason only the occasional Puppy gives me barks when starting and Slacko doesn't.
Internet having proven OK, I shut down creating SaveFile, rebooting into SlackoB4. Whatever slowness initially appeared was gone and SlackoB4 now appears to be as fast as Exprimo.
Nice job 01micko. I'll explore some more tomorrow.

mikesLr

01micko

Re: Initial Report of Beta4 with AtiRadeon 3100 Graphics

#108 Post by 01micko »

mikeslr wrote:Hi 01micko & All;

All seems well. Unpacked SlackoB4.iso to Slacko directory and rebooted.
First Run dialogue routine seemed to run a little slow. I thought it had completed and started Frisbee before it did. This created problems as completion of First Run shut down Frisbee before it could complete and thereafter it gave problems setting up, but was ultimately successful. Went on internet with Seamonkey and sound proved to work OK with Youtube Flash. For some reason only the occasional Puppy gives me barks when starting and Slacko doesn't.
Internet having proven OK, I shut down creating SaveFile, rebooting into SlackoB4. Whatever slowness initially appeared was gone and SlackoB4 now appears to be as fast as Exprimo.
Nice job 01micko. I'll explore some more tomorrow.

mikesLr
Yes there are a few logic flaws in the way I implemented the firtboot>firstrun>conectwiz.. but I am onto it :wink: .. I think it will cater to all as much as possible...

Here's the new logic..

First splash.. tells if you are connected or not, if so, no connectwiz..

Asks about locale .. if you don't care skip.. if you don't understand there is a big graphical i18n icon with flags on it to invoke shino's first-run locale/TZ/keys setup.. if you still don't understand it times out . .. starting shino's first-run wiz..

after X restart then connectwiz pops up.. we'll see!

:lol:

DaveS

#109 Post by DaveS »

The problem with building Open Office with just Writer is this: Open Office seems to be constructed like a browser with each of the modules being extensions, so very little size is saved, but masses of functionality is lost.
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

James C

#110 Post by James C »

Another manual frugal install..... this one on the old P3 test box.Everything working on initial boot and persistent through a couple of reboots. No shutdown problems.

VIDEO REPORT: Slacko Puppy, version 4.99.6

Chip description:
00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation 82810E DC-133 (GMCH) Graphics Memory Controller Hub (rev 03)
00:01.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation 82810E DC-133 (CGC) Chipset Graphics Controller (rev 03)

Driver used by Xorg:
intel

Video mode used by Xorg:
Resolution: "" Depth: Depth 24

...the above also recorded in /tmp/report-video

-Computer-
Processor : Pentium III (Coppermine)
Memory : 254MB (120MB used)
Operating System : Unknown distribution
User Name : root (root)
Date/Time : Sun 25 Sep 2011 12:00:11 AM CDT
-Display-