USB HDD boot fails - scsi_mod.o.gz - failed

Booting, installing, newbie
philiplgs

USB HDD boot fails - scsi_mod.o.gz - failed

#1 Post by philiplgs »

Hi, I'm able to get puppy linux working fine on my AMD based laptop by booting from the CD. I used the script to create a bootable USB HDD on a HP 256M flash memory stick (appears to WinXP as a HDD). All goes well for creation, but when I boot from the USB HDD, the first of the error msgs is scsi_mod.o.gz - no such file or directory. There follows a string of other errors related to this.
What I don't understand is that the CD Image should be identical to what was written on the USB HDD. Somehow, the system is not able to access this file from the USB HDD, but is able to do so from the bootable CD. Would very much appreciate your help.

BTW: I've got another flash memory key I tried - this one is a 512M from Trek - it appears under WinXP as a removable drive - and I'm not able to get my laptop to boot from this device, unlike from the HP 256M, which appears in WinXP as a HDD.

Thanks very much for the help!

philiplgs

Solved one problem, encountered another.....

#2 Post by philiplgs »

Hello - found an answer to the USB key booting issue in another topic in this forum titled "Problems booting Chubby from WinXP".
Solution was to add the parm ramdisk_size=13312 in the part where we're invited to add parms towards the end of the bootable usb hdd creation script. I've now got a different problem - from time to time, the keyboard just doesn't work, though the mouse always does. I'll post a new message on this. Thanks.