Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Fri 28 Nov 2014, 19:03
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Additional Software (PETs, n' stuff) » Browsers and Internet
Firefox official releases
Page 4 of 15 [217 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, ..., 13, 14, 15 Next
parishilton

PostPosted: Mon 28 Nov 2011, 06:42    Post subject:  

Geoffrey, I had the same problem after my browser updated from 7.0.1 to 8.0.1. I disabled the shockwave flash plugin and the stalling before eventually loading certain pages stopped. Worked fine for me with flash disabled... until I needed flash Rolling Eyes Found the solution here, so thank you everyone!
swiatmar

PostPosted: Wed 30 Nov 2011, 10:23    Post subject:  

If your Firefox does not show flash after update to the version 8.01, please follow this :

Quote:
Okey this seems to be very important to symlinking the files from the firefox folder with the files in /usr/lib/
simple copy the files listed on dependentlibs.list from firefox folder to /usr/lib/ and it works

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=73742
playdayz

PostPosted: Fri 02 Dec 2011, 20:51    Post subject:  

It is hard to imagine why Firefox does not use its own libnss by preference. This pet has the fix built-in. BTW, i just noted there is an 8.0.1 that will download.

Firefox 8.0 -> ftp://distro.ibiblio.org/puppylinux/pet-packages-lucid/Firefox-8.0-Lucid.pet

Concerning Flashplayer, This version seems to play video on youtube fine with the current flashplayer. The old programs do not download flashplayer correctly. I recommend this one -> ftp://distro.ibiblio.org/puppylinux/pet_packages-lucid/flash_install-0.1.pet In the menu as Internet -> Install Flashplayer.
Tman

PostPosted: Sat 03 Dec 2011, 01:48    Post subject:  

I never really mentioned it in this forum, but my Firefox pets have had the symlinks to libnss all along, It seems that forum members are getting Firefox elsewhere and posting the problems here... not that I really mind.

EDIT:The info above is now obsolete. Thanks to some enlightening info from 01micko, I've modified my Firefox pets. Symlinking libs from /usr/lib/firefox to /usr/lib is no longer needed.

Last edited by Tman on Sun 01 Jan 2012, 22:59; edited 1 time in total
Geoffrey

PostPosted: Mon 05 Dec 2011, 01:58    Post subject:  

Tman wrote:
I never really mentioned it in this forum, but my Firefox pets have had the symlinks to libnss all along, It seems that forum members are getting Firefox elsewhere and posting the problems here... not that I really mind.

I think most were like me, let a previous version of firefox that worked ok update, thats where all the problems started, at lest we know what the problem is now.

I generally just download the firefox.tar.bz2 and replace firefox in /usr/lib and it works, but not this time Wink
hanzf

PostPosted: Thu 08 Dec 2011, 16:24    Post subject:  

I recently upgraded to FF 8.0.1 using the method described above, and now I found that the CUPS printing manager doesn't start anymore. typing "cups_shell" in a command line, I get these error messages:
Code:
# cups_shell
find: `/root/.mozilla/default/*.slt': No such file or directory
helpviewer
./PuppyBrowser: symbol lookup error: /usr/lib/seamonkey/libgtkembedmoz.so: undefined symbol: NS_InitXPCOM3

What's wrong here?

Tman

PostPosted: Fri 09 Dec 2011, 16:11    Post subject:  

hanzf,

Cups_shell works fine for me. I don't know why it is searching for Seamonkey files. Did you have Seamonkey on it before and uninstalled it? Please check your /usr/local/bin/defaultbrowser file. Open it up with a texteditor to see what it says. Or just type in the terminal: cat /usr/local/bin/defaultbrowser
This is what it is supposed to be:
Code:

#!/bin/sh
exec firefox "$@"

Also, it would be good to know what version of Puppy you are running it in.
hanzf

PostPosted: Sat 10 Dec 2011, 14:17    Post subject:  

thank you Tman, usr/local/bin/defaultbrowser looks exactly like your description:
Code:
#!/bin/sh
exec firefox "$@"

I have LuPu 5.0.0 on my computer.

Tman

PostPosted: Sat 10 Dec 2011, 16:56    Post subject:  

hanzf,

Strange, all I can suggest for you is to try this updated cups_shell. If that doesn't work, then I cannot help you in this matter.
cups_shell_rcrsn-1.0.pet
Description 
pet

Download 
Filename  cups_shell_rcrsn-1.0.pet 
Filesize  507 Bytes 
Downloaded  347 Time(s) 
RetroTechGuy

PostPosted: Mon 26 Dec 2011, 13:39    Post subject:  

Geoffrey wrote:
RetroTechGuy wrote:
Geoffrey wrote:
I'm having a problem with FF8, hangs for ages , it was 7.01 that upgraded itself, put on another copy of 7.01 and it runs fine, I'm running lucid 5.2.8.

anyone else having this happen, is there a solution?

Yes, I had the same problem ("upgrade"). You found the solution... Wink

I found how to fix it, replace libnss3.so that's in /usr/lib with the one that comes with FF8 in /usr/lib/firefox

then no errors, it was doing this this in the terminal
Code:
(firefox:22314): Pango-WARNING **: libthai.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

/usr/lib/firefox/plugin-container: /usr/lib/libnss3.so: version `NSS_3.12.10' not found (required by /usr/lib/firefox/libxul.so)
/usr/lib/firefox/plugin-container: /usr/lib/libnss3.so: version `NSS_3.12.9' not found (required by /usr/lib/firefox/libxul.so)

now it's all good Cool

So this time, Firefox 8 upgraded to Firefox 9...and once again broke the libs.

I'm running lupu 5.28, had installed Playdayz FF8 pet:

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=586657#586657

This time the "fix" seems to be to rename /usr/lib/libnssutil3.so to "libnssutil3.so.old", and symbolically link the file from /usr/lib/firefox//libnssutil3.so back to that /usr/lib/...

pemasu

PostPosted: Mon 26 Dec 2011, 14:02    Post subject:  

I have symlinked all the /usr/lib/firefox folder libs to the /usr/lib and removed all previous versions. Seems to work. And it is also more foolproof for next lib dependency.
RetroTechGuy

PostPosted: Mon 26 Dec 2011, 14:04    Post subject:  

pemasu wrote:
I have symlinked all the /usr/lib/firefox folder libs to the /usr/lib and removed all previous versions. Seems to work. And it is also more foolproof for next lib dependency.

Probably a good idea. It took me several tries before Firefox reported the missing/outdated lib (until then, I couldn't determine if that was the problem, or if it was something else).

RetroTechGuy

PostPosted: Mon 26 Dec 2011, 23:21    Post subject:  

RetroTechGuy wrote:

So this time, Firefox 8 upgraded to Firefox 9...and once again broke the libs.

I'm running lupu 5.28, had installed Playdayz FF8 pet:

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=586657#586657

This time the "fix" seems to be to rename /usr/lib/libnssutil3.so to "libnssutil3.so.old", and symbolically link the file from /usr/lib/firefox//libnssutil3.so back to that /usr/lib/...

OK, it looks like 01micko's solution here works better:

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=591861#591861

Just patching the single lib resulted in Youtube not working... (functionality was restored using this patch).

seaside

PostPosted: Tue 27 Dec 2011, 12:49    Post subject:  

Here's another approach that might be useful.

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=592001#592001

Cheers,
s
Tman

PostPosted: Sun 01 Jan 2012, 23:11    Post subject:  

Edit: Removed info that is no longer relevant becuase the way I have packaged Firefox has changed.

If using the Firefox.sfs, it is recommended that you change /usr/local/bin/defaultbrowser to the following:
Code:

#!/bin/sh
killall firefox
exec firefox "$@"

This will allow only one instance of Firefox to run at a time and you will no longer need to type killall firefox if it crashes.

Edit: The updated Firefox.sfs will change the defaultbrowser settings automatically after it is run once.

Last edited by Tman on Sun 22 Jan 2012, 13:46; edited 1 time in total
Page 4 of 15 [217 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, ..., 13, 14, 15 Next
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Additional Software (PETs, n' stuff) » Browsers and Internet
Jump to: