Wary Puppy 5.2.2, 18 Nov. 2011

Please post any bugs you have found
broomdodger

wary 5.2 pmusic 2.1.8 playlists change

#121 Post by broomdodger »

wary 5.2 pmusic 2.1.8 is the first time I have tried pmusic.

Strange things happen with playlists, they change after quiting pmusic and restarting!

I went back to wary 5.1.4.1 and did all the same initialization to pmusic 1.8.3 and the playlists seem stable.

The following is some info I could gather:

" -------1---------2---------3---------4---------5---------6----
wary 5.2
pmusic 2.1.8 also 2.1.9

+ index
+ add jazz to playlist 1 (5 pieces)
+ add classical to playlist 2 (3 pieces)
+ add rock to playlist 3 (4 pieces)
! all play ok

quit pmusic
restart pmusic
playlists have changed! Playlist 1 is now Playlist 2.

Could this have something to do with the newer gtkdialog or ffmpeg in wary 5.2?

# pmusic -D
Dependencies
R E Q U I R E D
bash [OK]
coreutils [OK]
awk [OK]
sed [OK]
gtkdialog >= 0.7.21 [MISSING]
ffmpeg >= 0.8 /usr/local/pmusic/pmusic: line 162: [: git: integer expression expected
[MISSING]
aplay (alsa) [OK]

R E C O M M E N D E D
libid3tag (meta-tagging) [OK]
cdda2wav (play/rip audio-CD) [OK]
wget (connection to www) [OK]

O P T I O N A L
Pburn (burning audio-CD) [OK]
Pschedule (podcast managing) [OK]
pEqualizer (10 band equalizer) [MISSING]

# gtkdialog -v
gtkdialog version 0.8.0 (C) 2003-2007 Laszlo Pere, 2011 Thunor

# ffmpeg -version
ffmpeg version git-2011-10-01-78f08c0, Copyright (c) 2000-2011 the FFmpeg developers
built on Oct 2 2011 07:10:53 with gcc 4.3.4

" -------1---------2---------3---------4---------5---------6----
wary 5.1.4.1
pmusic 1.8.3

seems to work ok
playlists seem stable

# pmusic -D
Dependencies
R E Q U I R E D
bash [OK]
gtkdialog [OK]
ffmpeg [OK]
aplay (alsa) [OK]

R E C O M M E N D E D
libid3tag (meta-tagging) [OK]
cdda2wav (play/rip audio-CD) [OK]
wget (connection to www) [OK]

O P T I O N A L
pburn (burning audio-CD) [OK]
pschedule (podcast managing) [OK]

# gtkdialog -v
gtkdialog version 0.7.21 (C) 2003-2007 Laszlo Pere, 2011 Thunor

# ffmpeg -version
FFmpeg version SVN-r25158-snapshot, Copyright (c) 2000-2010 the FFmpeg developers
built on Sep 24 2010 21:49:52 with gcc 4.3.4

tronkel

#122 Post by tronkel »

Yep, can confirm problems with CUPS printing as reported by the others. The command:
lpr -p name_of_file

does print as does printing by converting to PDF in LibreOffice and also in Abiword.

Recursively altered permissions in /var/spool to 777.
Moved the /usr/bin/pdftops executable to /usr/lib/cups/filter/pdftops and left a symlink to it in /usr/bin

Also installed the w5 ghostscript package.
Last edited by tronkel on Tue 18 Oct 2011, 06:16, edited 1 time in total.
Life is too short to spend it in front of a computer

bobtron

wary 5.2...puppypc 17449 automatic login hangs?

#123 Post by bobtron »

Greetings g'day wary 5.2 adventurers...evaluating latest 14-Oct-2011 wary 5.2.,I am a puppy "noob-nik"...i downloaded .iso/md5sum-check/burn .iso/(does a burnt cd have same md5sum?)/booted-live and i was in..fiddled around a bit and committed to installing to USB stick...chose 512mb save file...problem i have on first and reboot is "hang up" at screen:

2.6.32 - SMP [i686 ARCH]
puppypc 17449 login root (automatic login)

appears to be stuck in a loop...tried pressing a character and it erased
character. next 1: deleted save file...reboot OK...save to USB stick..512MB save file EXT2 no encrypt....reboot...same trouble...stuck at automatic login screen...next 2: burnt .iso new CD...repeated above..with new usb stick...same trouble..any help or work around ideas for me?...many thanks fellas...great job for such a friendly pup...keep up the fine business work.

running: ACER ASPIRE ONE D255E
-INTEL(R) ATOM(TM) 1.66Ghz, 512KB cache, 250GB-hd
many many TNX all fellas..sorry my spelling bugs, i was not an english
major..hihi

Karl Godt

#124 Post by Karl Godt »

any help or work around ideas for me?
The X to desktop by xorgwizard-automatic does not check for failures .

xorgwizard-automatic had been introduced here in March 2011.

me and 01micko reported similar behavior in the racy thread .

For a temporarily solution : try to boot 'puppy pfix=nox'
entered after pressing F2 @puppy boot splash picture (F2,F3 for help) .
This would boot into the normal black'n'white console .
Then type 'xorgwizard' to run the old-fashioned /usr/sbin/xorgwizard , not the new /usr/sbin/xorgwizard-automatic .

rjbrewer

Re: wary 5.2...puppypc 17449 automatic login hangs?

#125 Post by rjbrewer »

bobtron wrote:Greetings g'day wary 5.2 adventurers...evaluating latest 14-Oct-2011 wary 5.2.,I am a puppy "noob-nik"...i downloaded .iso/md5sum-check/burn .iso/(does a burnt cd have same md5sum?)/booted-live and i was in..fiddled around a bit and committed to installing to USB stick...chose 512mb save file...problem i have on first and reboot is "hang up" at screen:

2.6.32 - SMP [i686 ARCH]
puppypc 17449 login root (automatic login)

appears to be stuck in a loop...tried pressing a character and it erased
character. next 1: deleted save file...reboot OK...save to USB stick..512MB save file EXT2 no encrypt....reboot...same trouble...stuck at automatic login screen...next 2: burnt .iso new CD...repeated above..with new usb stick...same trouble..any help or work around ideas for me?...many thanks fellas...great job for such a friendly pup...keep up the fine business work.

running: ACER ASPIRE ONE D255E
-INTEL(R) ATOM(TM) 1.66Ghz, 512KB cache, 250GB-hd
many many TNX all fellas..sorry my spelling bugs, i was not an english
major..hihi
Another forum member has problems with "smp" on his D255
Aspire netbook.

Here is a link to Wary 5.1.3.4-uni. No smp.

http://distro.ibiblio.org/quirky/test/wary-5.1.3.4/

I've had problems trying to make a bootable usb with 5.2.
The uni version worked fine making usb.

Inspiron 700m, Pent.M 1.6Ghz, 1Gb ram.
Msi Wind U100, N270 1.6>2.0Ghz, 1.5Gb ram.
Eeepc 8g 701, 900Mhz, 1Gb ram.
Full installs

don570

#126 Post by don570 »

Has anybody been able to get a version of Gimp to work.
I haven't been able to. :cry:

I've tried Shinobar's versions.

jrb

#127 Post by jrb »

don570 wrote:Has anybody been able to get a version of Gimp to work.
I haven't been able to. :cry:
http://distro.ibiblio.org/quirky/pet_pa ... 7.1-w5.pet works if you install http://distro.ibiblio.org/quirky/pet_pa ... 1.2-w5.pet and http://distro.ibiblio.org/quirky/pet_pa ... 1.2-w5.pet :D

XBlackChaosX

#128 Post by XBlackChaosX »

Why doesn't puppy have access to the ubuntu package repo for finding and installing apps? Alot of the apps in the puppy repo are old versions. Any way to do that?

rjbrewer

#129 Post by rjbrewer »

XBlackChaosX wrote:Why doesn't puppy have access to the ubuntu package repo for finding and installing apps? Alot of the apps in the puppy repo are old versions. Any way to do that?
Lucid is for using Ubuntu apps; not Wary.
Try the Lucid 528 (puppy projects) thread for those answers.

Full installs

XBlackChaosX

#130 Post by XBlackChaosX »

What's the difference between Wary Puppy 5.2 ad Lucid Puppy 5.2.8?

rjbrewer

#131 Post by rjbrewer »

XBlackChaosX wrote:What's the difference between Wary Puppy 5.2 ad Lucid Puppy 5.2.8?
Wary is a traditional Puppy built by Barry, meant to be
compatible with older hardware. The new (Racy) version is
for high power and high ram machines

Lucid is by Playdayz and 01Micko and built to use Ubuntu
repositories.

Slacko is by 01Micko; based on Lucid, but built to use
Debian (Slackware?) apps.

There are other derivatives always being attempted.

Full installs

oui

repositories

#132 Post by oui »

Hi

I miss in the first message an info where (url's) we can try to find some non official packages being compatible in supplement of those offered in http://distro.ibiblio.org/quirky/pet_packages-wary5/. I can't complete in the head of this thread as I did not see at time that this thread did start.

KbdVariant option «intl» works good and allows to write correctly a lot of other languages: áàäâãçñń¡¿«»ßś etc (only a small set of them!)

I did test divers *.pet's and *.deb's being yet a long time on my hard disk and find some working well and some refusing to work! but I can't remember where I did download them! and it would probably be without important as the url's of the divers non official depositories are in constant movement somewhere on the web :lol:

my one information to other concerning the compatibility:

refusing to work:

- merkaartor (cartography special program for OpenStreetMaps) :(
- qemu 9.1 (pls see later under pet's)

seem to work very well:
sfs's:
- LibreOffice-3.4.0_en-GB.sfs
- wine-1.1.42-i486.sfs
- skype_static-2.1.0.81.sfs
pet's:
- qemu-0.91-launchscript-SDL-1.29.pet :D (starts and handles win 95 and it files)
- mtools-3.9.11-i486.pet
- K-Office_400-english.pet (I possibly did had the word «english» into the name! I can't remember any more...); Koffice 3.5 is very small (51 Mb pet > ab. 60 Mb installed if my observation is right; but the used *.pet freeze almost all other new puppy versions incl. «puppy next»! sorry. and in wary, it is not really necessary as abi, gnumeric, mTpaint and InkscapeLite are preinstalled! it would only be useful to complete a event. future «one bone» of wary 5.2!) compared with LibreOffice
- zim-0-23-1.pet
- dd_rescue-1.14.pet
- testdisk-6.11.3.pet
deb's:
- clex CLI file browser
- NtEd music editor
- links2 web and files browser (libx86-1_1.1+ds1-2_i386.deb was not enough and probably not necessary any more; I did install an other version over it); on my PC links2 can be started in wary 5.2 «after exit to prompt» outside Xwindows but the mouse don't works because svgalib needs an installation being a little tricky as very different from /etc/X11/xorg.conf!
- yap (small prolog programming language able to work with the pillow library from the clip software see http://clip.dia.fi.upm.es/Software/; yap is not dependant from ciao prolog but the pillow lib's are included in ciao! *.deb's from ciao are existing but a little tricky to find on the web...)
tar.gz's:
- Seamonkey 2.5 (a lib did be missed; start in konsole and see the error message)

concerning the last one (seamonkey) I did erase it from /usr/lib and install a link to /mnt/home/seamonkey/seamonkey and move it there. so it is really possible to actualize it without to have an unused version in the puppy_wary_5.2.sfs any more (as I did rebuild my puppy_wary_5.2.sfs actually about 250 Mb with all above changes). and in /root/.mozilla, I have also a link to /mnt/home/seamonkey/ . this directory in /mnt/home contains the old directory /root/.mozilla/seamonkey contained initially in /root/.mozilla, a super big directory because of saving there all emails and files from the emails (photos etc.)! it would really be better, puppy would always install this directory outside the little «save file» of puppy (so my «save file» as actually only 31 Mb where the free space is yet 16 Mb!). advantage: the puppy save file can be smart, all versions of puppy on the disc can use the same /mnt/home/seamonkey dir and if a puppy save file crashes the seamonkey setups are not affected! it is possible to do the same with skype files from /root/.skype etc. last word conc. the new version of seamonkey: the dictionaries are not all available on the download page of seamonkey but are yet included in the installations tar.gz's. so if you need more than one dictionary (I need Engl., French and German) you can try to fish them out the other tar.gz of the other language: only download in /root, hit on it and mark the parts «dictionary» and unzip in /mnt/home/seamonkey/seamonkey !

as I need merkaartor, I will try to find a way as don't want to quit wary to use it going to «puppy next 5.0.1», where merkaartor is working very well. if some one knows a way, I would appreciate it!

I search for a dropbox application (the actual official one needs «nautilus»)! If some one knows one, welcome!

666philb

#133 Post by 666philb »

hi oui

i believe this portable dropbox works on wary http://sourceforge.net/projects/portabl ... 3/download
Bionicpup64 built with bionic beaver packages http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=114311
Xenialpup64, built with xenial xerus packages http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=107331

rcrsn51

#134 Post by rcrsn51 »

DaveS wrote:Wary frugal. I get exactly the same error as in Racy when trying to print form anything other than the CUPS test page,

Code: Select all

Set Allowed Users
HP (Default Printer) "/usr/lib/cups/filter/pdftops failed"
The CUPS printing problem in Wary/Racy also appeared in Drake Puppy and the solution is the same. Any application that prints through the GTK print backend /usr/lib/gtk-2.0/2.10.0/printbackends/libprintbackend-cups.so now needs the missing filter /usr/lib/cups/filter/pdftops. Trying to substitute a like-named program from another package simply won't work.

The attachment below contains the correct filter from a different build of CUPS 1.3.11.

You may need to do a CUPS restart to make it work.

/etc/init.d/cups restart
Attachments
cups_pdftops_filter-1.3.11.pet
(7.05 KiB) Downloaded 957 times
Last edited by rcrsn51 on Mon 24 Oct 2011, 21:04, edited 1 time in total.

DaveS

#135 Post by DaveS »

rcrsn51 wrote:
DaveS wrote:Wary frugal. I get exactly the same error as in Racy when trying to print form anything other than the CUPS test page,

Set Allowed Users
HP (Default Printer) "/usr/lib/cups/filter/pdftops failed"
The CUPS printing problem in Wary/Racy also appeared in Drake Puppy and the solution is the same. Any application that prints through the GTK print backend /usr/lib/gtk-2.0/2.10.0/printbackends/libprintbackend-cups.so now needs the missing filter /usr/lib/cups/filter/pdftops. Trying to substitute a like-named program from another package simply won't work.

The attachment below contains the correct filter from a different build of CUPS 1.3.11.
I can confirm this patch works just fine.
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

tronkel

#136 Post by tronkel »

Just tried the pet from rcrsn51

On a first attempt I got no joy. I then remembered I had allowed a version update from 5.1.106beta2 the first time I booted into 5.2, so I thought I'd try a pristine pup_save.

Then installed the printer driver plus the pet from rcrsn51 for good measure. Printing now works in the normal fashion!

After a day of playing about with this problem, I've still got no idea what the real cause was. Was there some change in udev rules maybe between 5.2 and its predecessor? Or something in the pup_save itself?

Anyway that's a relief. Doesn't seem to have anything to do directly with the CUPS version.

I had also compiled the source for the latest CUPS version 1.5 and installed it. Compiled no problem in Wary 5.2, but didn't make any difference at all to the printing problem.
Life is too short to spend it in front of a computer

rcrsn51

#137 Post by rcrsn51 »

The change is the rebuild/upgrade of GTK. The old version sent data to CUPS in Postscript form. The new version sends it in PDF form. Hence the need for the additional filter.

You can confirm this by taking the GTK CUPS backend from an old Wary where printing did work and dropping it into Wary 5.2.

DaveS

#138 Post by DaveS »

rcrsn51 wrote:The change is the rebuild/upgrade of GTK. The old version sent data to CUPS in Postscript form. The new version sends it in PDF form. Hence the need for the additional filter.

You can confirm this by taking the GTK CUPS backend from an old Wary where printing did work and dropping it into Wary 5.2.
So why do I get the scrambled characters in Racy, any idea?
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

Karl Godt

#139 Post by Karl Godt »

rcrsn51 wrote:The change is the rebuild/upgrade of GTK. The old version sent data to CUPS in Postscript form. The new version sends it in PDF form. Hence the need for the additional filter.

Inside the pet is a single binary , that replaces the link to /usr/bin/pdftops from /usr/lib/cups/filter directory .

15 -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 14264 2011-09-21 19:02 pdftops
15 -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 14288 2011-09-16 23:36 pdftops-orig

Printing seems to work on Wary-Racy here,too .

Had not tried Drake because of the former .rpm problems in earlier puppies (dotpuphandler&puppybasic) or busybox rpm not being able to extract but installs with no trace of the files to uninstall again ...

I had also an error message in cups pstoraster failed , but
find /usr/lib/cups -iname "*pstoraster*"
/usr/lib/cups/filter/pstoraster
# file /usr/lib/cups/filter/pstoraster
/usr/lib/cups/filter/pstoraster: POSIX shell script text executable

is a shell script , nice to learn about cups command line syntax .

Anyway printing is working [ tried to install a ghoscript 9-04pet by dingo which seems not to have helped , applying cupsd.conf from quirky-130 , where i remembered cups-1.3.11 was working , investigating /etc/*shadow files ... ] .

Thanks , rcrsn51 !

LoboGrande

More USB weirdness

#140 Post by LoboGrande »

My computer runs Wary 5.1.4 and 5.2 fine from the live CD but won't run them from USB. I get a kernel panic. I've tried both Uni and Bootable Flash installs and it will open, start to load and then get a kernel panic message.

P4 3.0ghz w/800fsb, 4gb ddr/ Asus P4V800 mobo/ 80gb SATA HD

USB 16gb Sandisk Cruzer