How set up a pppoe connection?

Booting, installing, newbie
Patrunjel

How set up a pppoe connection?

#1 Post by Patrunjel »

Hi. I am completely new to Puppy (and not that experienced in Linux in general). I wanted to install puppy to my thumb drive so that I could use it as a OS in school (pentium 3, 124mb RAM)

So I made a bootable flash drive with unetbootin, booted puppy, and tried to connect to the internet (I have a pppoe connection).
I went through the setup for configuring a pppoe connection, started it, and it didn't work.I tried with the dns server as 'server', nothing. Then I started to find out what pppoe* stuff is on puppy, and I ended up trying to start the (configured) connection through the terminal, found out my isp's dns server, entered that, still nothing. By nothing I mean I couldn't use the browser (it gave somthing about it not being able to resolve the hostname) Then I started pinging random IPs (and also my recendly-found isp's dns server), just to see if just dns wasn't ok. That didn't work either (I'm really sorry, but I don't remember what it said... It was something containing "Network unavailable", but I'm not 100% sure).
So can you please help me set it up, or help me get to pppoeconf (the program I use in ubuntu)?

bigpup

#2 Post by bigpup »

What version of Puppy are you using?
What type internet connection. Wired or wireless?
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)