Fatdog64-521 (October 12, 2011)

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
kirk

Fatdog64-521 (October 12, 2011)

#1 Post by kirk »

Kirk and Jamesbond are happy to release Fatdog64-521. This is mainly a bug fix release with a few upgrades and additions thrown in. Here's the change log since Fatdog64-520:

Update Firefox-7.0.1
Update Thunderbird-7.0.1
Update FlashPlayer-11 final
Update Pburn-3.3.7
Add Psip-1.2
Update Sfs_load-1.2
Add Guvcview-1.5
Update Epdfview-0.1.8.
Add Rdesktop-1.7.0.
Add Tsclient-0.15p
firefox-spot fix
Removed /root/Startup/acpid.
Removed acpid startup from rc.sysinit.
Re-ordered /etc/init.d
Removed term=xterm from /etc/profile.
Xarchive patched for 7zip (Broke by the xz patch)
Xine.sh modified To run Xine as root when spot can't.
Default tap to click off for Synaptics (MaxTapTime=0).
Replace included rtl8192 drivers with proprietary ones.

Psip is a GTK app written by James that lets you do voice over IP. Other notable changes include a change to Xine.sh. Now Xine will run as user spot when it can, but if you click on a media file that's on a non-linux partition (NTFS, FAT), then it will run as user root. And the addition of a remote desktop client.

Get it here:

http://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/dis ... atdog/web/

The devx file is unchanged since 520, it's just been renamed for 521.

EDIT: I've attached a pet to fix a couple of minor bugs.

1) Fixes the wrong cd/dvd being ejected on systems with 2 or more optical drives when you right-click and and select eject.

2) Fixes the ownership of /root/spot/.xine. That file was owned by root, so when Xine was running as spot you could not change any settings. You could also fix this problem by just deleting /root/spot/.xine, then when you run Xine the file would be automatically recreated.
Attachments
bug-fixes1.pet
Minor bug fix pet, Probably not needed by most.
(3.9 KiB) Downloaded 1761 times
Last edited by kirk on Sun 16 Oct 2011, 16:26, edited 1 time in total.

Billtoo

Fatdog64-521

#2 Post by Billtoo »

Manual frugal install of fd521.

Wed 12 Oct 2011 Operating System: Fatdog64-521 Linux 3.0.3
0.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation GF108 [GeForce GT 430] (rev a1)
oem: NVIDIA product: GF108 Board - 1071v1p1 Chip Rev

X Server: Xorg Driver: nvidia: vendor=NVIDIA Corporation
X.Org version: 1.9.5
dimensions: 1440x900 pixels (373x231 millimeters)
depth of root window: 24 planes

direct rendering: Yes
server glx vendor string: NVIDIA Corporation
server glx version string: 1.4
OpenGL vendor string: NVIDIA Corporation
OpenGL renderer string: GeForce GT 430/PCI/SSE2
OpenGL version string: 4.2.0 NVIDIA 285.05.09

AMD Phenom(tm) II X4 810 Processor
Core 0: 800 1: 800 2: 800 3: 800 MHz

# glxgears
59522 frames in 5.0 seconds = 11904.234 FPS
59683 frames in 5.0 seconds = 11936.459 FPS
59671 frames in 5.0 seconds = 11934.028 FPS

Computer
Processor 4x AMD Phenom(tm) II X4 810 Processor
Memory 8185MB (141MB used)

No problems so far.
Attachments
fd521scrn.jpg
(101.64 KiB) Downloaded 8967 times
Last edited by Billtoo on Thu 13 Oct 2011, 20:11, edited 1 time in total.

timremy

usb modem

#3 Post by timremy »

hello

i use a usb modem.

is it possible to use fatdog64 with a usb modem?

i tried but i am sure i dont know what i am doing.

help, please.

timremy

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#4 Post by Lobster »

8)

A secure 64bit Puppy with the built in Puppy Phone (Psip)
allowing free calls over intranet or internet

Thanks guys :)

. . . OK here is what happened on my system:

Must have taken my cod liver oil tablets because I remembered to type in fatdog pfix=ram (the equivalent of puppy pfix=ram)
at the initial boot: prompt
That gives me a pristine system - not trying to boot from any previous save files . . .
Went straight to an Ethernet web connected desktop

If I had any money in a bank account I would be all secure and set . . .
. . . maybe I would set my locales first so I could type in my local currency
menu / setup / set local

Then I went to the package manager and downloaded the ATI driver
- was a little freaked that the PPM was empty initially . . .

Code: Select all

# glxgears
17500 frames in 5.0 seconds = 3499.954 FPS
17679 frames in 5.0 seconds = 3535.712 FPS
17497 frames in 5.0 seconds = 3499.144 FPS
17581 frames in 5.0 seconds = 3516.161 FPS
17479 frames in 5.0 seconds = 3495.664 FPS
17626 frames in 5.0 seconds = 3523.554 FPS
Once I had set my sound (again from setup) the video playback was far superior to the mplayer I have been using.

Importing my bookmarks is always a struggle with Fatdog but I managed it eventually

Kino worked at importing and I may try something.

Hopefully will be able to use the new Puppy phone that James has been working hard on

thanks guys 8)
Last edited by Lobster on Thu 13 Oct 2011, 10:32, edited 1 time in total.
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

Sage

#5 Post by Sage »

Bizarre X behaviour continues on SiS Mirage chipset. Screen displays with incorrect res. at bootup. CTRL-ALT-BCKSPCE, xorgwizard gives no action whatsoever?! xwin gives various effects, keep trying both commands, often will return to the incorrect display screen. No VESA option? Cannot call the monitor selection nor the res. selection panels. Still a million miles from any of the other Puppies.
Good news is that guvcvideo displays my (511 sensor clone) webcam immediately. Perhaps could discuss this with BK, cf. today's blog.

kirk

#6 Post by kirk »

CTRL-ALT-BCKSPCE, xorgwizard gives no action whatsoever?!
It shouldn't. Run the Xorg Wizard from the setup menu.

Sage

#7 Post by Sage »

Run the Xorg Wizard from the setup menu.
First port of call!

gcmartin

I have simie

#8 Post by gcmartin »

Kirk, SAGE and Lobster echo similar what I see too.

Can you add Shinobar's Personalize Settings to PPM? Want to test and report back to the community about something I noticed. I thnk it can help with 3 issues that crop up in FATDOG.

Thanks in advance.

jamesbond

Re: usb modem

#9 Post by jamesbond »

timremy wrote:hello

i use a usb modem.

is it possible to use fatdog64 with a usb modem?

i tried but i am sure i dont know what i am doing.

help, please.

timremy
Both myself and kirk we don't use USB modem, so yeah it's tough. A normal USB modem that doesn't masquerade as other devices should work fine (I've used Nokia E63 and N900 as USB modems successfully before), but practically all currently available standalone USB modems these days impersonate CD-ROM drives when first plugged (they contain windows drivers), and you need usb-modeswitch for these to work. usb-modeswitch isn't packaged for Fatdog64.

If you can convince rerwin (puppy's resident usb modem wizard) to look into this, it would be appreciated :wink:

Another alternative is to get a WiFi modem instead of USB modem, then that should work (again, neither me or kirk has one, so we can't confirm - if it doesn't work don't blame us).
Fatdog64 forum links: [url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=117546]Latest version[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/ke8sn5H]Contributed packages[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/se8scrb]ISO builder[/url]

Sage

#10 Post by Sage »

jb: Oh no, not all over again! We've dun(sic) USB and PCI modems to death. They are utter cr*p. They are designed for the devil, not Linux. Please do not waste yours and kirk's valuable effort on these monstrosities. If folks are so dumb that they refuse to get either a real, external, serial port, DUN modem or squeeze a router out of their ISP, then they deserve all that's coming to them. We don't do Windows in any of its manifestations - that's why folks come here.
What more can I do except offer a gratis real DUN modem for those unfortunate enough not to have broadband. No excuse for living in a nation with an archaic telephone system when they could emigrate to Sydney, Madrid, Rome, Muenchen, London, or, best of all Seoul, and get all optical, 100-200Mbps.

russoodle

Retrovol64-0.8.pet

#11 Post by russoodle »

For those who prefer retrovol to alsamixer, here's a 64-bit .pet, made in Fatdog64-521.
Attachments
retrovol64-0.8.pet
(117.32 KiB) Downloaded 1558 times
[i][color=Green][size=92]The mud-elephant, wading thru the sea, leaves no tracks..[/size][/color][/i]

jim3630

#12 Post by jim3630 »

hi, frugal install works well on my setup. only problem is with some apps like vlc 1.1.11pet when click on select file to play and chose one it will not open. from console get error..

# vlc
VLC is not supposed to be run as root. Sorry.
If you need to use real-time priorities and/or privileged TCP ports
you can use vlc-wrapper (make sure it is Set-UID root and
cannot be run by non-trusted users first).
#

is there one script for all apps to turn off run as spot?

if not how to run vlc with wrapper and Set-UID root?

# whoami
root
# vlc
VLC is not supposed to be run as root. Sorry.
If you need to use real-time priorities and/or privileged TCP ports
you can use vlc-wrapper (make sure it is Set-UID root and
cannot be run by non-trusted users first).

vlc won't open from the menu and looks like doesn't like to be called from console either.
------------
opened vlc desktop looking for run as spot but couldn't find as it is not in English and has unintelligible characters.
Attachments
vlc.png
(25.84 KiB) Downloaded 7959 times

jamesbond

#13 Post by jamesbond »

Jim,
The command to start vlc from command line is vlc.sh. It's right there in your screenshot, the Exec line, but yeah I agree it's a bit difficult to read because of the other characters.
Try to open the same file with xine.sh, if it can be opened by xine but not by vlc, the problem is mostly access rights (ie, spot cannot read the file). Give read permission to "Others" through ROX, and it should work.

cheers!
Fatdog64 forum links: [url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=117546]Latest version[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/ke8sn5H]Contributed packages[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/se8scrb]ISO builder[/url]

kirk

#14 Post by kirk »

Jim,

You must of downloaded that pet a while ago. I originally tried to get vlc running as spot, but kept running into problems so I recompiled it to run as root. Download the pet again.

gcmartin

Ethernet adapter has stopped after running 24 hours

#15 Post by gcmartin »

Skip this post. Its an apparent new hardware problem which surfaced coincidentally with Netboot sever installation.

russoodle

Thanks!

#16 Post by russoodle »

Many thanks Kirk, Jamesbond.....running FD64-521 on an intel mac, no issues so far.

Pleased to see the integration of Psip 1.2, too :D

Cheers!
[i][color=Green][size=92]The mud-elephant, wading thru the sea, leaves no tracks..[/size][/color][/i]

timremy

usb modem

#17 Post by timremy »

sage

thank you for your honest opinion of me.

i am dumb and proud of it.

timremy

Sage

#18 Post by Sage »

timremy : I am here to help, some folks just wont be helped. Today I tried to offer very detailed advice on PSU repair and yesterday I offered a free real external modem - what more can I do? I don't do SW, surely everyone knows that? If you don't live in the UK, I would expect other contributors to make similar offers as many also have old real modems sitting on their shelves gathering dust. For your part, you refuse even to edit your profile to show your location. I cannot help it if you are American, you'll just have to live with it or move.

gcmartin

Problems with Video behavior

#19 Post by gcmartin »

I have a X2 with 2 DVD recorders.

When I insert a DVD disk in DVD player #2, an icon pops to the desktop for that player. When I'm ready to eject, I used to be able to right-click and select eject. This ONLY opens DVD #1. It does NOT eject the device its suppose to. This is obviously broken.

With all of the past FATDOGs, i could put a DVD disk in DVD #2 and i could start the player and click the DVD button and it would start the DVD Video in player #2. Now that doesn't happen. In fact, I cannot get the desktop player to behave for multimedia the way it used to.

Has there been a change in the philosophy of video players or DVD use in FATDOG that we should know or is there something wrong?

Further, to provide useful information to you, what would you want us to use to report back to you?

Having some interestingly different hardware behavior from 520-1 to 522
Thanks.
Last edited by gcmartin on Sun 16 Oct 2011, 14:25, edited 2 times in total.

jim3630

#20 Post by jim3630 »

jamesbond wrote:Jim,
The command to start vlc from command line is vlc.sh. It's right there in your screenshot, the Exec line, but yeah I agree it's a bit difficult to read because of the other characters.
Try to open the same file with xine.sh, if it can be opened by xine but not by vlc, the problem is mostly access rights (ie, spot cannot read the file). Give read permission to "Others" through ROX, and it should work.

cheers!
thanks, got it.