Fatdog64-521 (October 12, 2011)

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
kirk

#31 Post by kirk »

lag0a,

Squashfs.ko is contained in the initrd.gz, it's copied to save file at first boot along with all of the other initrd modules. It's OK to delete it, it's always loaded in the initrd.gz anyway.

russoodle

#32 Post by russoodle »

I downloaded and installed the Audacity 1.3.13b pet from the official repo but received an error message regarding missing libwx_gtktu_richtext-2.8.so.0.

I'm sure to find it floating somewhere around the traps, but thought i'd let you know.
[i][color=Green][size=92]The mud-elephant, wading thru the sea, leaves no tracks..[/size][/color][/i]

kirk

#33 Post by kirk »

You need to install the wxwidgets pet. If you use the Puppy Package Manager it should let you know about other needed packages.

russoodle

#34 Post by russoodle »

Done and dusted now, thanks Kirk....all good.

I didn't use the PPM, i was browsing the pets on your repo and just grabbed it while i was there.

Pardon my ignorance if this is a doofus question, but....what would i have to do to install more filters in Gimp? Would most filter scripts work in 64-bit as well as 32-bit?
[i][color=Green][size=92]The mud-elephant, wading thru the sea, leaves no tracks..[/size][/color][/i]

maddmike

Java crashes: Fatdog 520 and Fatdog 521

#35 Post by maddmike »

I've been using Puppy 421 for years. But my new laptop (Panasonic CF-C1) is too new for it... So I've been trying the newer Puppy versions and derivatives. Fatdog runs the best; it's the only puppy I've found that correctly identifies the networking and display hardware. Everything seems great except for one big problem: Java applications all crash with the same type of segfault:

Code: Select all

#
# A fatal error has been detected by the Java Runtime Environment:
#
#  SIGSEGV (0xb) at pc=0x00007fba0c220680, pid=15851, tid=140436762040080
#
# JRE version: 6.0_27-b07
# Java VM: Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (20.2-b06 mixed mode linux-amd64 compressed oops)
# Problematic frame:
# C  [ld-linux-x86-64.so.2+0x12680]  _dl_make_stack_executable+0x2410
#
The same thing happens with freemind, moneydance, and QtCreator. The crash always seems to be caused by _dl_make_stack_executable in ld-linux-x86-64.so.2. I've had the same trouble when I use the JRE sfs file from the Fatdog download page, or a fresh installation of JDK from Oracle's download site.

Has anyone else had this trouble? I have yet to find any java app that works OK.

Thanks in advance.

2byte

#36 Post by 2byte »

Kirk and Jamesbond

I just assembled this desktop PC today and Fatdog64-521 is the first OS ever installed (frugal). This GPU has been giving some Ubuntu 11.04 users the fits and I expected major trouble getting any Puppy to work with it.
I am deliriously happy to report that all 4 cores were recognized, sound, and the integrated graphics were no problem at all thanks to your ati-catalyst-11.8-3.0.3.pet. This thing runs like lightning.

#report-video-glx
Sun 23 Oct 2011 Operating System: Fatdog64-521 Linux 3.0.3
1.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc Device 9640
oem: AMD ATOMBIOS product: SUMO 01.00

X Server: Xorg Driver: fglrx: vendor=FireGL - ATI Technologies Inc.
X.Org version: 1.9.5
dimensions: 1680x1050 pixels (444x277 millimeters)
depth of root window: 24 planes

direct rendering: Yes
server glx vendor string: ATI
server glx version string: 1.4
OpenGL vendor string: ATI Technologies Inc.
OpenGL renderer string: AMD Radeon HD 6550D
OpenGL version string: 4.1.11005 Compatibility Profile Context

AMD A8-3850 APU with Radeon(tm) HD Graphics
Core 0: 800 1: 800 2: 800 3: 800 MHz

# glxgears
35158 frames in 5.0 seconds = 7031.329 FPS
34933 frames in 5.0 seconds = 6986.337 FPS
35069 frames in 5.0 seconds = 7013.776 FPS
35335 frames in 5.0 seconds = 7066.807 FPS

Motherboard
Gigabyte GA-A75M-UD2H

Memory
Corsair 8GB DDR3 1600

jamesbond

Re: Java crashes: Fatdog 520 and Fatdog 521

#37 Post by jamesbond »

maddmike wrote:Has anyone else had this trouble? I have yet to find any java app that works OK.
I don't have the problem. I used to use Java6 Update 18 (that's the old SFS), recently I updated the Java SFS to Update25, both works fine here. All the java apps I use - freeplane (fork of freemind), jarnal, eclipse, and a few others - work all right - I never have that kind of crash :?:
Fatdog64 forum links: [url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=117546]Latest version[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/ke8sn5H]Contributed packages[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/se8scrb]ISO builder[/url]

jamesbond

#38 Post by jamesbond »

2byte wrote:I am deliriously happy to report that all 4 cores were recognized, sound, and the integrated graphics were no problem at all thanks to your ati-catalyst-11.8-3.0.3.pet. This thing runs like lightning.
It's very encouraging to hear success stories like this :D
Fatdog64 forum links: [url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=117546]Latest version[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/ke8sn5H]Contributed packages[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/se8scrb]ISO builder[/url]

Ncmprhnsbl

#39 Post by Ncmprhnsbl »

hi there
posting from fatdog
nice work 8)
so.. frugal install on usb using universal installer, too easy.
-Computer-
Processor : 8x Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU Q 720 @ 1.60GHz
Memory : 3979MB (286MB used)
-Display-
Resolution : 1366x768 pixels
OpenGL Renderer : Gallium 0.4 on AMD REDWOOD
X11 Vendor : The X.Org Foundation
-Audio Devices-
Audio Adapter : HDA-Intel - HDA Intel
Audio Adapter : HDA-Intel - HD-Audio Generic
Audio Adapter : PC-Speaker - pcsp
-Input Devices-
Lid Switch
Sleep Button
Power Button
Video Bus
AT Translated Set 2 keyboard
ImPS/2 Logitech Wheel Mouse...?
PC Speaker............sound working
Wacom BambooFun 4x5.....working sort of
Asus Laptop extra buttons...working
USB2.0 UVC 2M WebCam ...not working

no cpu temperature :cry:

wacom functions without any intervention :D .....BUT no xinput detected by gimp or mtpaint. giving no pressure sense. would this be related to bug#24d53ff795....GTK+ recompiled with --enable-xinput ?
also, installed mandelbulber3d 1.08 64 .deb from debian wheezy...works a treat.....a little scared to use it without temp. monitoring :wink:

l0wt3ch

#40 Post by l0wt3ch »

Installed 521 on my HTPC. It's great, I can tell a lot of thought was put into every aspect of this distro; it's really quite the achievement.

Love the "Puppy-style" notifications!

kirk

#41 Post by kirk »

would this be related to bug#24d53ff795....GTK+ recompiled with --enable-xinput ?
Probably, when we update gtk we'll put that in. There's another gtk configure option that needs to be changed too. Maybe another release on this base will be done with a updated gtk.
no cpu temperature
You can compile lm-sensors and get that information, or probably just figure out which kernel module load, the lm-sensors setup will figure that out for you.
Installed 521 on my HTPC. It's great, I can tell a lot of thought was put into every aspect of this distro; it's really quite the achievement.
Glad to hear!

rcrsn51

#42 Post by rcrsn51 »

Ncmprhnsbl wrote:no cpu temperature
Have you seen this?

2byte

#43 Post by 2byte »

I started really using Fatdog tonight and have only found a very few bugs/glitches, mostly cosmetic.

Universal installer says ext3 is ext4 but still creates a proper ext3 save file.
Drive icons - right click unmount all does not work

aplay - no sound
Pmusic - no sound.
Xine works perfectly so far.

OpenBox right click menu:
Geany from menu opens a document named %F
Two Gimp entries under Graphic
Clicking either one gives GIMP Message Opening ‘/root/%U failed...
The panel menu & desktop icon open Gimp OK.

lxpanel menu is missing 5 icons.
Document->PeasyPDF Help, but no PeasyPDF menu (both OpenBox and lxpanel menus)

I am getting some weird effects when dragging a window across the screen with OpenBox, but not JWM. As the window moves across the screen it leaves a trail of two or three windows that are redrawing from top to bottom very slowly, but doesn't happen all of the time. :? Strange.

kirk

#44 Post by kirk »

Thanks Bill, forgot about your CPUtemp pet. I uploaded it to the repo.
the window moves across the screen it leaves a trail of two or three windows that are redrawing from top to bottom very slowly, but doesn't happen all of the time. Confused Strange.

Sounds like 2D video hardware acceleration is not working. This usually happens when the Xorg server chooses the vesa driver. It picks the vesa driver because it doesn't have any other matching driver. If you've got Nvidia or ATI try the proprietary pet packages in the repo.

2byte

#45 Post by 2byte »

Just FYI, the OpenBox menu just threw a '/root/%F: No such file or directory error' before Gnumeric opens. Again no error from the lxpanel menu or desktop icon.
If you've got Nvidia or ATI try the proprietary pet packages in the repo.
The ati catalyst drivers (pet) are already installed. Having multiple windows open seems to bring it on, and for some reason Abiword seems to be the most affected.

This is a new AMD FM1 socket with sound and graphics built into the processor and has been problematic on other Linux distros, so I don't really think it is a problem with Fatdog itself. In fact, Fatdog is the only Puppy I have tried that can provide any sound with it. The recent kernel patches leading up to 3.1 have a lot of AMD ATI code in them so maybe a 3.1 kernel and ATI driver update will take care of it. As it is, it's no big deal so far.

All considered, Fatdog64 is an excellent Linux for this brand new hardware. A little menu polish is all it needs, and that says a lot!

Thanks for Fatdog. You guys deserve a lot of credit.

2byte

#46 Post by 2byte »

Kirk wrote: Sounds like 2D video hardware acceleration is not working. This usually happens when the Xorg server chooses the vesa driver.
Thanks for that tip, you are absolutely right. It just happened again. For some reason, once in a while, the flgrx driver is loaded but not used, even though xorg.conf is intact and correct. I confirmed this with lsmod, glxgears, amdcccle, and Hardinfo. Reboot and all is proper again. When the driver isn't used by Xorg lsmod shows fglrx 0 Used by, and when it is used lsmod shows 74 Used by.

This is beyond my abilities to correct so if you or anyone else could offer some guidance I would really appreciate it.

rcrsn51

#47 Post by rcrsn51 »

2byte wrote:Document->PeasyPDF Help, but no PeasyPDF menu (both OpenBox and lxpanel menus)
That's true. If you read the help, it explains that the easiest way to run PeasyPDF is from the command line.

Ncmprhnsbl

#48 Post by Ncmprhnsbl »

kirk
Probably, when we update gtk we'll put that in.
ok, i'll be keeping an eye on the bugtracker :wink:

fatdog is the first puppy to include a wacom driver...full functionality will be much appreciated.....no pressure :wink:

rcrsn51
Have you seen this?
if i looked i might have :roll: ...thanks , installed and working..instantly.
beats the compile option. ive got a half second memory for syntax.
this is the best temp monitoring in linux(as far as sensor detection goes) i've come across so far....was going to suggest it for repo but your way ahead of me.

a question-- any way of changing gtk theme for spot? that is, making it the same as root.

jamesbond

#49 Post by jamesbond »

Ncmprhnsbl wrote:kirk
Probably, when we update gtk we'll put that in.
ok, i'll be keeping an eye on the bugtracker :wink:
For the time being you can install the gtk+-2.18.6-with-xinput-amd64.pet from the pet repo. Beware that it will eat a lot of your save file :wink:
cheers!

jamesbond

#50 Post by jamesbond »

Ncmprhnsbl wrote:a question-- any way of changing gtk theme for spot? that is, making it the same as root.
I haven't tried this but I think it should work:
1) remove /root/spot/.gtkrc-2.0
2) symlink /root/.gtkrc-2.0 to /root/spot/.gtkrc-2.0
cheers!