Fatdog64-521 (October 12, 2011)

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
papos

#91 Post by papos »

Thank you for this speedy puppy that use the programs I love!
this resolve some problem on my hp pavilion g7: detection of sd card, audio, wireless drivers, just have to add in root/startup #numlockx on.

Code: Select all

The devx file is unchanged since 520, it's just been renamed for 521.

but where can I found the devx file it is not in http://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/dis ... atdog/web/ ?
merry Christmas

CatDude

#92 Post by CatDude »

Hello papos
papos wrote:.....

Code: Select all

The devx file is unchanged since 520, it's just been renamed for 521.

but where can I found the devx file it is not in http://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/dis ... atdog/web/ ?
merry Christmas
You have been looking in the wrong place. :roll:

You can get it from either of the following links. (the first one is usually a lot faster :wink: :wink: ) CatDude
[img]http://www.smokey01.com/CatDude/.temp/sigs/acer-futile.gif[/img]

papos

#93 Post by papos »

Thank you
I have some problems with transcoder 0.0.5 include in fatdog, i download transcoder_0.0.6 who seems to work good
http://sourceforge.net/projects/transco ... b/download
very nice actual version

Eathray

Testimonial

#94 Post by Eathray »

kirk and jamesbond,

landlord's machine dumped the harddrive (shop environment, dust). I found him a 16gig flash drive and stuck fatdog on it for him...

All I hear from him is what an improvement your work is over Vista. Thought you might like to know. He's one of those who never heard of Linux before and didn't know there was an alternative to Windoze.

Keep up the great work. :)

Eathray

Barkingmad

#95 Post by Barkingmad »

Hello

I've been using Fatdog 521 on-and-off for a time now and it runs great on my Pentium D so I thought I would try the benchmarks in Hardinfo so as to compare with the results I get with other Puppies.

The results displayed for all but one are "rubbish" so there must be some problem. Should I put it on Kirk's bug tracker, list the details here or try to report it to the Hardinfo team - I think there is a link in the Hardinfo menus?

Thanks for any input.

Will

papos

#96 Post by papos »

I have just some trouble with wine-1.3.25-i486.sfs
i control the md5 but i have this message
# wine
bash: /usr/bin/wine: No such file or directory
as i have a wine file in usr/bin/wine of 6888 B
wat's wrong?

Happy to find a working Adjust touchpad flSynclient for my laptop just for desactivate it, touchpad mode off!

oldroy

Firefox updates

#97 Post by oldroy »

Just wondering..

I can install Firefox updates on my Debian linux box the old fashioned way, i.e. unzipping from a tarball in order to install the latest version.

Would this work for Fatdog64? Or would everything just get lost on rebooting?

kirk

#98 Post by kirk »

Barkingmad,

Hardinfo was development version at the time and does have some problems. I thought it was better overall so I went with it over the stable version. I think the stable Hardinfo only used one core for benchmarks. But I haven't checked for a while.

papos,

Make sure you have the fd64-32bit-libs-6.sfs installed too. Wine is 32bit only.

oldroy,

You can probably use the tarball from Mozilla, but I think you'll need the dbus pet installed, they depended on that the last time I tried. Or if you want to build from source (which takes a while) here's how I configure:

./configure --prefix=/usr --disable-dbus --disable-hal --disable-crashreporter --enable-strip --enable-application=browser --disable-libnotify

Barkingmad

#99 Post by Barkingmad »

Thanks Kirk.

I thought I should report this somewhere in case it wasn't known about. I can give more details if you (or anyone else) would find them useful -- is there a hardinfo project page anywhere? I suppose that would be the place?

Thanks for the responce.

Will

gcmartin

#100 Post by gcmartin »

Kirk wrote:Hardinfo was development version at the time and does have some problems. I thought it was better overall so I went with it over the stable version.
This is a very useful upgrade to the FATDOG distro. I don't know how many others discovered what happens when they click on "Computer". And, there are other subtle additions in Hardinfo as well.

Question
Is there any formal path you are taking or that you want us to take with the issues we find in this Hardinfo version to make it easy for you to provide the developer some feedback? How can we help

Hope this helps
P.S. See the PM

gcmartin

Problems with a Wireless MB feature on a HP Touchsmart

#101 Post by gcmartin »

Saw this:
kirk wrote:If your having problems with one of these wifi devices: ... You may have to blacklist or delete any rt2x00 drivers that claim this device, supposedly the rt2x00 drivers support it.
Questions
  1. How do I blacklist the drivers?
  2. Is this a boot-time or a run-time effort?
  3. Does the RTnnnn PET do this for me?
  4. Will that PET work on FATDOG V5.21?
Thanks in advnace

Aitch

#102 Post by Aitch »

inxi seems to get recommended, too, as being slightly more informative than hardinfo...untested, by me, though

http://code.google.com/p/inxi/

Aitch :)

Hans

vlc-1.1.11 pet

#103 Post by Hans »

Hi there, I am trying to get the srt subs to work but I am stuck. I know it is/was an issue and the solution used to be changing font, but that does not work for me.

I also tested vlc-1.1.7 in lucid 526, and the srt shows fine. I compared the settings, and darn, no differences, except that the video plays in 'hardware yuv sdl output' , whatever that means. Don't know if this matters.

Any suggestions?

cheers,
Hans

Aitch

#104 Post by Aitch »

Hans
Some DVDs don't have srt files attached

see http://sourceforge.net/projects/dvdstyl ... ic/4414213

http://forum.videolan.org/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=76811

Else check settings

Hans

vlc-1.1.11 pet

#105 Post by Hans »

Hello Aitch, thanks for the reply

It's not about dvd's , in fact, it is an mpeg-4 tutorial I captured on how to learn linux for it-support in our windoze based university. Yeah, I am not pullin' y're leg. No linux knowledge due to a decade of windoze.
Nowadays with all those tablets the windoze-reign has cracked a bit you see, and what better to use for learning linux than the os that was brought to life for this sole purpose? All honour to Barry of course.

And one of our collegues can't hear a thing so I made a test .srt. It works well, with xine under fatdog and under windoze-vlc as well so no problem there, it's just the 1.1.11-version. And I compared the settings, and I can't make out the difference.

Tried it yourself? Like to know if I am the only one.
I tried to install the fatdog-vlc-1.1.7-x84-64-pet version but stumbled on missing qt libraries. But that would be logical if assuming that the new 1.1.11 version is the replacement?

Oh, the videolan forum link is about the mozilla plugin, I don't use that.

cheers,
Hans

gcmartin

#106 Post by gcmartin »

@Hans. You may want to post your .srt so that we can test.

Hope this helps

Hans

vlc-1.1.11 pet

#107 Post by Hans »

Thanks for the help gcmartin,

Attached is the srt of the first tutorial, in fact, it is a downloaded srt from 'back to the future II ' and I filled it with my own text later on after I tested it, same result though. And as I found out later it does not matter, an srt kan be a simple text file renamed to 'same-name-as-mpeg.srt', placed in the same folder as the mpeg.

Works well in all but 1.1.11

I hope you find the culprit!

cheers,
Hans
Attachments
01-Wat gaan we doen.png
rename to '01-Wat gaan we doen.srt' due to extension restrictions of the forum
(3.21 KiB) Downloaded 464 times

rerwin

Request for usb_modeswitcher

#108 Post by rerwin »

I have discovered a request in the beginner's forum for the usb_modeswitch utility for hybrid USB modems. I have a package ready to go for 32-bit puppies, but I gather that it should not be used in the 64-bit environment. Since I do not yet have a 64-bit PC to work on, could someone in this thread compile it and make it into a dotpet package? I see that the instructions are already provided by fatdog.

The source package is here:
http://www.draisberghof.de/usb_modeswit ... .1.tar.bz2

The data package for it is here:
http://www.draisberghof.de/usb_modeswit ... 23.tar.bz2

To compile the modeswitcher, the only command needed is:
new2dir make install
From inside the source package. Then use dir2pet to create the package. To keep the naming clean, before running dir2pet, change the source directory name to append "-src" and change the generated directory name to match the original name of the source package.

Do the same with the data package, although nothing in it is actually compiled, just installed.

Thanks.
Richard

mikeslr

Belated Thank You Billtoo for Wbar

#109 Post by mikeslr »

Hi All, and especially Billtoo:

Thanks Billtoo for the wbar pet. I especially appreciate that it included a config icon and routine for easily installing my own favorite programs. I think your wbar enables giving Fatdog a very "business-like" appearance by reducing desktop clutter. I've enclosed a screenie as an example.

Billtoo's wbar and required imlib2-1.4.5-x86_64 pets can be found here:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 815#573815.

Just a couple of notes to help those interested. When first installed, wbar did not link to fonts on my system nor have a menu entry. I tried to start wbar from the terminal, which is how I discovered the absence of the link to fonts. So I called up rox and browsed to and clicked /usr/bin/wbar, which started it. I then opened another rox window to ~/Startup and created a symlink as I would want wbar to start immediately and also didn't want to take the time to create a desktop-file/menu entry.. With wbar now on my desktop, I clicked the config icon, and then the preferences tab.Noticing that the fonts designation had not been made, I clicked its browse button and set it to one of the fonts at /usr/share/fonts/default/TTF.

Although I'm a big fan of Openbox/fbpanel, especially with DaveS' Launcher pet, I've noticed fbpanel and launcher sometimes have difficulty with applications "installed" to mnt/home, even when a script to call them is created in /my-applications/bin. Wbar doesn't. What's especially handy about the config routine you created are that in installing new icons/apps into it, the icons used can be defined by dragging & dropping them from any opened window, and it is sufficient to define the command to call the application by its name if typing that name into a terminal would start the application.

One last thing: "Happy New Year" everyone.

mikesLr
Attachments
mydesktop.jpg
(116.79 KiB) Downloaded 548 times

Aitch

#110 Post by Aitch »

mikeslr

I see you like a partition or 2, then?... :wink: