Mageia 2-Based Puppies - LAST BETA RELEASE

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
scsijon

Internet stuff :-)} here

#16 Post by scsijon »

Webrender, a fast qt browser.
Note: I have rebuilt this package. The first version had a non-puppy lib requirement of gtk6 which was got around by by another pet I had loaded for another package which I have decided not to use as it was not stable enough.
Last edited by scsijon on Tue 10 Jan 2012, 01:33, edited 1 time in total.

scsijon

QT4 Components

#17 Post by scsijon »

Complete Qt4 Pets for warz, but should work with all others, includes things like QtDBus components.

V4.7.4
Split into three parts, usually you only need the first
Base, Dev and Nls in one http://www.lamiaworks.com.au/puppy/warz ... 4-i386.pet
Qt4 Doc's http://www.lamiaworks.com.au/puppy/warz ... 4-i386.pet (BIG)
Demo and Example files if needed http://www.lamiaworks.com.au/puppy/warz ... 4-i386.pet

V4.8.0
coming soon
Last edited by scsijon on Tue 03 Jan 2012, 02:27, edited 1 time in total.

pemasu

#18 Post by pemasu »

Do you have QtWebkit included ?
If yes, I suggest you to test qupzilla web browser. It has behaved nice. I compiled it in Qt-4.8.0.

http://qt-apps.org/content/show.php/Qup ... ent=145693

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 380#593380

scsijon

#19 Post by scsijon »

pemasu wrote:Do you have QtWebkit included ?
If yes, I suggest you to test qupzilla web browser. It has behaved nice. I compiled it in Qt-4.8.0.
Certainly do pemasu, will give qupzilla a go as I do like mozilla and use firefox for daily use, although I do like the webrender and qtweb packages.

The only thing not included, as far as I know, is motiff as I didn't have the libraries and dev files for the qt4 compiler to link it into. Part of the reason for the 'large' size, even after compressing.

I will remind everyone here, that QtPuppy is designed to be a Builders Puppy and thus will never be as small as the normal desktop varieties! I will consider that if the final V1 release fits on a standard cd (450meg), it's good :P , if it's under 256meg it's great, but I will be checking for what i've taken out in error :? !

By the way, if anyone downloads from my website and finds the pet won't open, can they please leave a PM here as i've found a couple of packages lately I've uploaded ok (by byte-size) but not when downloaded again. The problem is in my website providers techs to work out why and I want to give them extra info if I can to help them.

regards
edit: yours didn't work, but I suspected that as it was 480. Will have a build myself but I am leaning towards my latest build of webrender as it's horribly fast!

scsijon

#20 Post by scsijon »

22 Jan 2012
Unfortunately, having fixed one developers tool problem, another more serious problem has appeared with warz522010, the ld Dynamic Link Loader in the binutils package is not working correctly in all cases, I will try to build a slightly later one that has the patches to fix the LD problems before going forward again!

scsijon

#21 Post by scsijon »

The top of the first message says it all I think!

The only other things will be the fla (four-letter-acronym) will change to suit the base (or maybe i'll start my own).

I will give any updates if I find a relevant one or consider them a needed warning on this topic.

Otherwise I may be a little bit quiet for a while, but will still be around and maybe I'll go back to testing others work on my crazy boxes.

!I SHALL RETURN!

Puppyt

#22 Post by Puppyt »

Onyer! Oi oi oi ...
Search engines for Puppy
[url]http://puppylinux.us/psearch.html[/url]; [url=https://cse.google.com/cse?cx=015995643981050743583%3Aabvzbibgzxo&q=#gsc.tab=0]Google Custom Search[/url]; [url]http://wellminded.net63.net/[/url] others TBA...

Gnuxo

#23 Post by Gnuxo »

Hey! Try using Arch as a base!

Razor-qt + Eggwm + Arch = Chakra puppy!

(Well a guy can dream)

darkcity

#24 Post by darkcity »

Hi scsijon,

Have been testing QtPuppy on Althon 64 3.2Ghz with 1Gb

Its working quite nicely, here's some feedback-

1) The first reboot savefile messages are slightly confusing because it takes a while before loading the savefile prompt when you select 'make savefile'. Any chance you could add a dialogue saying
'make savefile selected - please wait. I think this problem may be comnon to Racy/Wary and Slacko

2) I selected 'fido' instead of root - it wouldn't let me change it back. Then I selected xorg it got an error '/tmp/wm ... ... can not be moved' and then it wouldn't let me reboot - just return the same error and back to the desktop. When I deleted savefile and ran as root all along it was fine. Again this may be a Wary problem.

3) Got online using Lucid version of Frisbee as usual - Network Wizard no good.

3) QtWeb seems to crash a lot.

4) I'm going to try installing Qtractor. http://qtractor.sourceforge.net/qtractor-index.html
Do you know if its possible to upgrade ALSA independently of the rest of the OS?

I know your on a break so will check back in a few months ; -) thanks again :twisted:

darkcity

#25 Post by darkcity »

had a go at qtractor, but it reckons qt4.2 or greater isn't present

Code: Select all

checking for gcc... gcc
checking whether the C compiler works... yes
checking for C compiler default output file name... a.out
checking for suffix of executables... 
checking whether we are cross compiling... no
checking for suffix of object files... o
checking whether we are using the GNU C compiler... yes
checking whether gcc accepts -g... yes
checking for gcc option to accept ISO C89... none needed
checking how to run the C preprocessor... gcc -E
checking for g++... g++
checking whether we are using the GNU C++ compiler... yes
checking whether g++ accepts -g... yes
checking how to run the C++ preprocessor... g++ -E
checking for grep that handles long lines and -e... /bin/grep
checking for egrep... /bin/grep -E
checking whether gcc needs -traditional... no
checking for Qt library version >= 4.2... no; Qt 4.2 or greater is required
on a forum it says libqt4-dev is needed - cannot find it in QtPuppy :arrow: [/code]

scsijon

#26 Post by scsijon »

OK, were back at it!

darkcity, will look at things again when I have the 'base' bit working for most people, suspect the problem was really the location, as in the meantime i've found out there are a lot of hardcoded qt4 location apps that need to be told it's elsewhere and there was no-where it was set correctly in path, just via the set statement. (in todo list). EDIT: just looked at website, from versions I suspect it's a libstdc++6 problem, mage has it!

gnuxo, building on magelia 2 means it can be cross-built as arch, as well as others will be available, when I have hardware (promised / coming later in the year). May even do an mac!

I ACTUALLY HAVE BECOME VERY EXCITED WITH WHAT IS ALREADY AVAILABLE VIA MAGEIA! Their packagelist is over 9000 individual application packages.

Window Manager / Desktops are: KDE, Gnome, LDXE and XFCE4, to start with, plus, dwm, scrotwm, i3, pekwm, AfterStep, awesome, Enlightenment (e17), fvwm2, icewm, openbox and WindowMaker available by pick, with a few others in development phases.

Anyone looking for a good Animation Software package should look at Pencil-Planner too.

anyway enough for now, i've got a last few bugs to fix before 'showdown' on the sunday release!

Gnuxo

#27 Post by Gnuxo »

I'm not a coder nor proficient enough to understand how mageia is similar to Arch.

I thought Mageia was based on Mandriva.

As for the desktop enviros..., I am really looking forward to just Razor-qt with eggwm.

I've already talked to a member of the Chakra linux crew and he was super excited when he heard about QTpup. I was sad when the package was cancelled but now I can go back and tell him that the package is back on.

One of the reasons I asked for Arch as a base is that, well...I spent a while talking to a guy from the Chakra linux crew. And I couldn't help but let my imagination take me away.

Anyway...back to reality.

I think that the default file manager should be Dino because it's basically a qt version of Pcmanfm but with some extra neat features.

Does anyone know if there is a QT equivalent to gnome mplayer and gecko-mediaplayer? I don't like flash and Adobe has basically waved bye bye to linux anyways. I usually use browser addons to watch online video anyway.

Maybe VLC 2.0 and the VLC 2.0 plugin could work?

scsijon

#28 Post by scsijon »

gnuxo, sorry thought you meant the arch hardware, not base, I shall have a look at it anyway for you. As long as you have some scripting knowledge, and puppy has lessons on that, you could always have a go, you don't have to be a programmer, just be able to nut out what goes with what.

mplayer is replaced by gstreamer as backend and for now, clemintine as front end until, I have investigated a couple of others (Jemimahs Saluki is using it if you want to try).

I do have eggwm on my list.

darkcity

#29 Post by darkcity »

yep, regarding compiling qtractor - I think your right about having to correct location. I've managed to compile on Polar pup, but that needed some symlinks adding for it pick up the qt files. Will check with qt pup when I get some time ; -)

Gnuxo

#30 Post by Gnuxo »

I've not used Arch aside from some small glimpses at Archbang or Chakra.
I'm still hesitant to try mess with a full Arch to learn the ropes as well.

I don't have the time to really try or the confidence that I won't break my hardware.

However the speed and minimal nature of Arch was always appealing to me.
Puppy's minimal nature and speed has always impressed me, thus it's only natural that one would come to the conclusion that a puppy based on arch would have be very quick and potentially slimmer and more minimal then others.

The one thing that was ironed out during my conversation with that chakra dev is that considering that .pets are very cross platform and there are also the sfs files, that puppy doesn't need to be a rolling release, maybe semi-rolling for those who have rewritable cds and don't feel like re-burning every major update.

...Or maybe for those that just have a frugal install?

But having used Slacko and seeing that you could just go into pkgs.org and download and install tar.gx packages for slackware or Arch via right click, I don't have a doubt that installing the most bleeding edge of some programs wouldn't be a major plus in choosing the Arch base.

Anyway...thanks for taking a look into it.

I've used Totem on Linux Mint and I've used Parole before as well.
I actually prefer Parole, it's lighter then gnome mplayer and works better with Midori. Unfortunately it's gtk based as is anything Xfce.

There is a command line gstreamer player that I stumbled upon at Softpedia.
It's called GST123

http://space.twc.de/~stefan/gst123.php

It's not dependent on any particular libraries other then gstreamer, so you might be able to write a script that allows opening media files with it and maybe even a little plugin for browsers that would let it handle all mime types and open video/audio in a popup terminal window. It's not even dependent on X so you could watch Youtube theoretically right from terminal.

That could reduce the iso size while maintaining strong functionality. Also watching video from terminal would be smoother potentially and far less resource intensive for the older machines for which every megabyte of ram is crucial.

Edit: Actually forget Gst123, it needs gtk.

Gnuxo

#31 Post by Gnuxo »

I've looked but I can't seem to find any Qt frontends for Gstreamer. :(

Do they even exist?

I think something like Xine-UI with it's plugin might adequately replace Gnome Mplayer too. I don't believe it needs Gtk.

It's been updated actively lately. The newest version might be really good.

Also to avoid slow down on Qtpup, any gtk app should be available as SFS bundles. I got this idea from Chakra linux's bundles concept. They avoid any redundant gtk library installation by having Gtk apps available separately as self contained packages.

That way you can still use Firefox if you want to. Simply load the SFS. Then you can unload it later if you wish. No new libraries are installed which keeps the OS snappy.

darkcity

#32 Post by darkcity »

To my understanding. The difference between SFS and PET packages is how they are loaded not what they contain. This applies only to frugal installations (a full installation will load everything to the rootfs on its partition).

SFS file add another layer to the filing system (sfs file is readonly) -modifications would be stored in pupsave file.

PET files are extracted into the pupsave.

there's a long debate on package management at-
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=75383
They avoid any redundant gtk library installation by having Gtk apps available separately as self contained packages.
To me this sounds like each app using gtk is statically compiled and has a copy of the gtk libs. which has pros and cons. PETs and SFSs can contain statically or dynamically linked apps and libs.

not sure is this is the sort of gstreamer thingy you want:-
https://gkiagia.wordpress.com/2011/01/2 ... er-0-10-1/

Gnuxo

#33 Post by Gnuxo »

Erm...not particularly sure about the differences between pets and sfs, aside from what I've experienced using them.

I always believed that an Sfs was a self contained package collection that could be independently run inside puppy using a simulated file system.

Though I shouldn't make educated guesses about that which I am not sure about.

About QTgstreamer, that's not what I meant. It's not a media player, it's a binding. I was looking for a QT media player based gstreamer.

scsijon

#34 Post by scsijon »

darkcity wrote:yep, regarding compiling qtractor - I think your right about having to correct location. I've managed to compile on Polar pup, but that needed some symlinks adding for it pick up the qt files. Will check with qt pup when I get some time ; -)
Darkcity, wait for mage006, mage004 is purely designed to deal with hardware, there is no qt4 components installed!
Last edited by scsijon on Sun 25 Mar 2012, 16:38, edited 1 time in total.

scsijon

#35 Post by scsijon »

folks,
There are bunfights on using static against dynamic packaging all over, I intend to work with dynamic packaging as this eliminates the possability of killing one app by removing another when the both use a particular library.

Overall size is no longer important, although I would like the final package to come in below 150Mb, as long as it is less than the size of a cd, that is all it matters.

Gstreamer is a backend operation, not a user application in itself. I shall be using clemintine for music at least as it's good for that, I am undecided what to use for video and the like as there is quite a choice (17) in the qt world, I shall decide when I have a working base as I want to make sure it can handle satellite, which has the worst streaming video possible with the transmission delays it has.

UPDATE: Just had a look at eggwm 0.2 (latest), it has expanding a minimized window problems with razorqt, which you must agree is a 'biggie' so for now I won't build it. If the problem is fixed, I will consider it then.
Last edited by scsijon on Sun 25 Mar 2012, 01:00, edited 1 time in total.