Mageia 2-Based Puppies - LAST BETA RELEASE

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
simargl

#181 Post by simargl »

Last edited by simargl on Sun 01 Sep 2013, 14:50, edited 1 time in total.

Puppyt

#182 Post by Puppyt »

Hmm yeah I can't seem to grasp the difference between "Puppy derivative" and "Puppy projects" either (and many developers post their work in 'Announcements' I miss them entirely). There seems to be a bit of overlap in definition somehow. Is there an estimation of percentage-difference on whatever official Puppy version before a novel pupplet is moved from 'Derivative' to 'Project'? How else do developers decide where to lodge their derivative/project? Does Flash or Murga etc have an executive call on the home of the post etc? Reckon the advent of woof/woof2 has helped blur the definition too, somewhat...

EDIT: aha - I see I'm trampling over old ground - much discussion here http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=70081 (Derivatives - a full list), and http://puppylinux.org/main/Puplet%20for ... atures.htm clusters pupplets together from their respective fora.
Search engines for Puppy
[url]http://puppylinux.us/psearch.html[/url]; [url=https://cse.google.com/cse?cx=015995643981050743583%3Aabvzbibgzxo&q=#gsc.tab=0]Google Custom Search[/url]; [url]http://wellminded.net63.net/[/url] others TBA...

scsijon

#183 Post by scsijon »

Well, to me (and the way I have always understood it to be was) a derivative is a puppy built on top of another major distribution, using where possible that distributions component packages.

While, a project was when someone took that a stage further by modifying or adding to the origonally built derivative with a 'pile' of apps etc. that did not come from that distribution or puppy's own apps package sets.

However I do agree it's got a little 'stuffed-up' and would rather not extend the OT further.

ON to business, the next version will be delayed a little while why I work out why I am having a problem building with the latest woof. The changes have all worked, I am just having problems with the shutdown routines!

infromthepound

#184 Post by infromthepound »

scsijon wrote: ON to business, the next version will be delayed a little while why I work out why I am having a problem building with the latest woof. The changes have all worked, I am just having problems with the shutdown routines!
Now if you were working for MS, that would be an advantage...
JB

scsijon

#185 Post by scsijon »

infromthepound wrote:
scsijon wrote: ON to business, the next version will be delayed a little while why I work out why I am having a problem building with the latest woof. The changes have all worked, I am just having problems with the shutdown routines!
Now if you were working for MS, that would be an advantage...
JB
Especially with 8, I believe there is a note somewhere that once started it should not be shutdown except in an emergency. But not having a copy I can't verify that!

However, BarryK has confirmed for me that the problem is not woof2's as is and how to check the two builds. So I will have to find what package I've updated is causing it, and hope it doesn't stuff up the rest. Somehow I don't think that will be quick! Good thing I only work part-time nowadays!

futwerk

#186 Post by futwerk »

new backgrounds
Attachments
mageja12,1.png
http://www.mediafire.com/?a11d30ws1dhr96n,7r2bwwhk1a4d2hj,ekgvi7wq45ek0z3
(55.37 KiB) Downloaded 781 times
mage12,2a.png
(47.73 KiB) Downloaded 787 times
mage12,2.png
(74.7 KiB) Downloaded 776 times

scsijon

#187 Post by scsijon »

thank you futwerk, nicely timed as i've (I hope) sorted out my problem and will be building a beta of mage2-0012 for large group testing this coming weekend as it's passed all my local group's tests.

The problem in the end had me going back and forth over the last two versions and my new ones and chasing a 'white rabbit'. In the end it was a updated package that I really didn't want updated as the new one was systemd and the old init-script controlled.

mage2-0012 should appear on page 1 early in the new week.

I have also updated JWM to the latest (naturally) with mick's jwmconfig2 config package.

And also updated PPM with the extra Selection Filtering, you will be suprised what is available in the gtk3 groups, but don't use them in other puppy's unless they are also gtk3 aware (including lib's) or you will have a good chance of a permanent crash.

scsijon

#188 Post by scsijon »

Final beta mage2-00.12.07 will appear early next week if nothing new appears in the problem lists, I have built it and we are doing local testing until monday.

I have two problem work-arounds inbuilt and five 'nusance' problems at present, hopefully no more will appear!

scsijon

mage2-00.12.07

#189 Post by scsijon »

final beta mage2-00.12.07 is now released for testing.

links at top of page 1

It has the latest JWM, thunor's gtk3dialog and a few 'goodies'.

I have received a INNO3D card (nivida geoforce) to test with, thanks to one of their local whole salers I did a favour for, so I am able to test their video driver again although I still prefer to use the onboard Intel when available.

Problems and reports to appear in messages below, please ensure that you have 'mage2-00.12.07' in the subject field so I know the version under discussion.

have fun folks

scsijon

Billtoo

#190 Post by Billtoo »

I'm running from the live dvd with a savefile, computer is a Mac Mini
with intel HD4000 graphics.
Mage2, version 0.12.07 on Tue 16 Apr 2013
Chip description:
oem: Intel(R) Sandybridge/Ivybridge Graphics Chipset Accelerated VGA BIOS
product:Intel(R) Sandybridge/Ivybridge Graphics Controller Hardware Version 0.0
X Server: Xorg
Driver used: intel
X.Org version: 1.11.4
dimensions: 1920x1080 pixels (507x285 millimeters)
depth of root window: 24 planes

I downloaded Firefox 20 and installed it in /mnt/home, also downloaded
and installed the latest flashplayer plugin from Adobe.com.
I install lxterminal from ppm, I tried to install vlc from ppm but it
said the files weren't available.I updated ppm first which took quite
a while.
Sound,wireless network (used network manager to setup), and screen resolution
all good on first bootup.
I compiled htop-1.0.2.

That's it so far.

EDIT:I've been able to compile quite a few applications from source code
without problems,vlc-2.0.6,ffmpeg-1.2,mplayer-1.1,audacious-3.3.4,mc-4.8.8,
xinelibs-1.2.2,xineui-0.99.7, and a few others.
I added glxinfo from ppm and it shows more info in the hardinfo report:
OpenGL
Vendor Tungsten Graphics, Inc
Renderer Mesa DRI Intel(R) Ivybridge Mobile x86/MMX/SSE2
Version 2.1 Mesa 8.0.2
Direct Rendering Yes

The beta is working very well on this hardware, thanks.
Attachments
screenshot.jpg
(37.87 KiB) Downloaded 608 times

James C

mage2-00.12.07

#191 Post by James C »

Attempted to run on my trusty Athlon XP box but despite trying every trick I know X refused to start.Black screen with "monitor out of range" message.

Code: Select all

VGA compatible controller		: nVidia Corporation NV18 [GeForce4 MX 440 AGP 8x] (rev c1) (prog-if 00 [VGA controller])
Tomorrow I'll try with Intel graphics and possibly newer Nvidia chip..

mavrothal

#192 Post by mavrothal »

Tried it on my VM and went through the old puppy console setup sequence (keyboard, timezone, xorgwizard etc) and when the desktop came up went through the "modern" first boot windows. Is this by design?

Works fine though with the exception of abiword that has a black background and crashes if you try to open the preferences. Reinstalling 2.9.2 from the Mageia repo solves the crash issue but the black background remains.
== [url=http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html]Here is how to solve your[/url] [url=https://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/bugs.html]Linux problems fast[/url] ==

Billtoo

#193 Post by Billtoo »

Frugal install on a 5+ year old Acer Desktop.
It used the nouveau driver at first.
# report-video
Mage2, version 0.12.07 on Wed 17 Apr 2013
Chip description:
oem: NVIDIA
product: G84 Board - p402h00 Chip Rev
Driver used: nouveau
dimensions: 1440x900 pixels (380x238 millimeters)
------------------------------------------------------------------
I downloaded and installed the proprietary nvidia driver for this
Geforce 8600 GT card.
I installed glxinfo from ppm.

OpenGL
Vendor NVIDIA Corporation
Renderer GeForce 8600 GT/PCIe/SSE2
Version 3.3.0 NVIDIA 319.12
Direct Rendering Yes
------------------------------------------------------------------
It seems that you can't install mage2 beta to sda1, I tried and it always wants
to save to sda2 so I gave in and copied the mage folder to sda2,deleted the old
folder reran grub4dos and rebooted, then made my savefile on sda2.

I installed all the programs that I made earlier and everything is working
well.
Attachments
screenshot2.jpg
(42.48 KiB) Downloaded 407 times

James C

Re: mage2-00.12.07

#194 Post by James C »

James C wrote:Attempted to run on my trusty Athlon XP box but despite trying every trick I know X refused to start.Black screen with "monitor out of range" message.

VGA compatible controller		: nVidia Corporation NV18 [GeForce4 MX 440 AGP 8x] (rev c1) (prog-if 00 [VGA controller])
Tomorrow I'll try with Intel graphics and possibly newer Nvidia chip..
A bit late but......

Working fine (frugal install) on an old P4 with Intel graphics.

# report-video
Mage2, version 0.12.07 on Sat 20 Apr 2013

Chip description:

oem: Intel(r)865G Graphics Chip Accelerated VGA BIOS
product: Intel(r)865G Graphics Controller Hardware Version 0.0

Driver used: intel

dimensions: 1024x768 pixels (270x203 millimeters)

...the above also recorded in /tmp/root/ as report-video,
and archived with xorg.conf and Xorg.0.log as report-video-full.gz
#

-Computer-
Processor : Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 2.80GHz
Memory : 2551MB (161MB used)
Machine Type : Physical machine
Operating System : Mage2 - 0.12.07
User Name : root (root)
Date/Time : Sat 20 Apr 2013 04:46:51 PM CDT
-Display-
Resolution : 1024x768 pixels
OpenGL Renderer : Unknown
X11 Vendor : The X.Org Foundation
-Audio Devices-
Audio Adapter : ICH4 - Intel ICH5

scsijon

mage2-00.12.07 replies

#195 Post by scsijon »

sorry all, been a bit busy with other things.

@#James C > Try picking vesa in the xorgwizard and see if that comes up ok. If it does, reboot without saving and try again but manually picking the driver and TEST it before accepting, maybe you will need to set the frequency down so take your time. If that doesn't work you may need to choose the nv driver in the non-free ppm group, download it and xorgwizard again as there are a few boards that will only work with that driver for some reason, it's a mageia thing and I can't change it.

Also check if there is a clue in the /tmp/xerrs.log on the box when you get it up.

And your second message is not late, it's nice to have all extra confirmations that things are ok or not.

@mavrothal > I always build with both starting processes runing, the release will go through to first boot setup bypassing the manual setup.

I shall play with the mageia abiword, maybe the one I have been using has a problem and needs rebuilding. It works ok here from the iso on one of my testboxes so something is wierd somewhere.

EDIT: Apparently there is a woof2 problem with abiword and also gnumeric which has been fixed since my build. The next pre-release build will have it fixed and All apps will be tested rather than just the problem ones.

@Billtoo > mage2 won't allow installation on a drive partition that's too small to take the install and leave sufficent space for a savefile. It installs ok here, so I suspect that maybe the problem, otherwise I don't know why, sorry.
Last edited by scsijon on Tue 23 Apr 2013, 05:23, edited 1 time in total.

James C

Re: mage2-00.12.07 replies

#196 Post by James C »

scsijon wrote:sorry all, been a bit busy with other things.

@#James C > Try picking vesa in the xorgwizard and see if that comes up ok. If it does, reboot without saving and try again but manually picking the driver and TEST it before accepting, maybe you will need to set the frequency down so take your time. If that doesn't work you may need to choose the nv driver in the non-free ppm group, download it and xorgwizard again as there are a few boards that will only work with that driver for some reason, it's a mageia thing and I can't change it.
Actually boot never reaches Xorgwizard or any of the setup wizards.......... after all the boot text goes by instead of any of the setup wizards it goes to the "monitor out of range" message. Tried booting pfix=nox to force xorgwizard .....no change.

The md5 was correct and the same files copied from the same flash drive are working fine on this Intel box.

FWIW, that Nvidia card uses nouveau in Slacko,Precise and Raring but since I never get to xorgwizard that point is moot.

James C

#197 Post by James C »

Got it halfway working on the Nvidia box. Manually made a savefile and copied the xorg.conf from a working Raring install. Did boot to a desktop (1280x1024) using the Vesa driver instead of 1440x900 with Nouveau as specified in the xorg.conf file......but at least it's working. Xorgwizard still won't even appear. I'm wondering if this xorg is too new for this old card.

# report-video
Mage2, version 0.12.07 on Sun 21 Apr 2013

Chip description:

oem: NVidia
product: NV18 () Board Chip Rev A2

Driver used: # vesa

dimensions: 1280x1024 pixels (412x260 millimeters)

...the above also recorded in /tmp/root/ as report-video,
and archived with xorg.conf and Xorg.0.log as report-video-full.gz
#

EDIT:
Answered my own question ........THINSlacko has a newer xorg and uses nouveau with no problems.

-Display-
Resolution		: 1440x900 pixels
Vendor		: The X.Org Foundation
Version		: 1.12.3
-Monitors-
Monitor 0		: 1440x900 pixels

-OpenGL-
Vendor		: Nouveau
Renderer		: Mesa DRI nv18 x86/MMX+/3DNow!+/SSE
Version		: 1.2 Mesa 8.0.4
Direct Rendering		: Yes

scsijon

#198 Post by scsijon »

thank you james c.

A quick response is that I have no idea what's wrong as the mage nouveau driver should work happily with any nivida card, at least in a basic mode.

I shall have a think!!!!

?Can you tell me the make/model specs on the monitor that you are having problems with please.

The only thing at the back of my mind at present, is maybe a frequency problem. I did have that earlier with a few, and that did give an out of range error, but it was fixed by a change in the source. I may have a one-off pet for you to try when I can find the notes on what I did that would reverse that in case that is what the problem is.

In the meantime could you start it up clean boot please, adding video=640x480 to end of the boot line, as I have set it in the kernel to run 800x600 by default so more is visable if there is a problem. This should not be effecting things, as it is only being used by the pre-x stage, but...

Billtoo

#199 Post by Billtoo »

I did a manual frugal install to an HP desktop pc which has an Nvidia
GeForce 430 GT graphics card.
On first bootup it went through the 2 setups and was using the nouveau
driver, I downloaded and installed the proprietary Nvidia driver.
I installed all the pets that I made a few days ago and everything is
working well.
EDIT:I've been able to download applications using ppm as long as I stick
to the older groups such as mageia-2-core but even after updating ppm
I can't get applications from mageia-2-coreupdates.
Otherwise this beta is working great.
Attachments
ppmerror.jpg
(46.57 KiB) Downloaded 886 times
screenshot2.jpg
(72.26 KiB) Downloaded 864 times
screenshot.jpg
(18.44 KiB) Downloaded 932 times

scsijon

#200 Post by scsijon »

@Billtoo, there is a problem at ibiblio affecting a lot of the mirrors at the ibiblio end.

In this case, the mageia2 "index" has been updated (naturally) but some of the packages have yet to be, as the rsync update is continually timing out so considerably slowing the update and some just abort until the rsync restarts.

They know about it!

Sorry, but we all just have to be patient until ibiblio 'can get their act together again' and work out how to fix the problem, as it's even affecting uploads to them from the source distributions including puppy.