Mageia 2-Based Puppies - LAST BETA RELEASE

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
Gnuxo

#31 Post by Gnuxo »

I've looked but I can't seem to find any Qt frontends for Gstreamer. :(

Do they even exist?

I think something like Xine-UI with it's plugin might adequately replace Gnome Mplayer too. I don't believe it needs Gtk.

It's been updated actively lately. The newest version might be really good.

Also to avoid slow down on Qtpup, any gtk app should be available as SFS bundles. I got this idea from Chakra linux's bundles concept. They avoid any redundant gtk library installation by having Gtk apps available separately as self contained packages.

That way you can still use Firefox if you want to. Simply load the SFS. Then you can unload it later if you wish. No new libraries are installed which keeps the OS snappy.

darkcity

#32 Post by darkcity »

To my understanding. The difference between SFS and PET packages is how they are loaded not what they contain. This applies only to frugal installations (a full installation will load everything to the rootfs on its partition).

SFS file add another layer to the filing system (sfs file is readonly) -modifications would be stored in pupsave file.

PET files are extracted into the pupsave.

there's a long debate on package management at-
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=75383
They avoid any redundant gtk library installation by having Gtk apps available separately as self contained packages.
To me this sounds like each app using gtk is statically compiled and has a copy of the gtk libs. which has pros and cons. PETs and SFSs can contain statically or dynamically linked apps and libs.

not sure is this is the sort of gstreamer thingy you want:-
https://gkiagia.wordpress.com/2011/01/2 ... er-0-10-1/

Gnuxo

#33 Post by Gnuxo »

Erm...not particularly sure about the differences between pets and sfs, aside from what I've experienced using them.

I always believed that an Sfs was a self contained package collection that could be independently run inside puppy using a simulated file system.

Though I shouldn't make educated guesses about that which I am not sure about.

About QTgstreamer, that's not what I meant. It's not a media player, it's a binding. I was looking for a QT media player based gstreamer.

scsijon

#34 Post by scsijon »

darkcity wrote:yep, regarding compiling qtractor - I think your right about having to correct location. I've managed to compile on Polar pup, but that needed some symlinks adding for it pick up the qt files. Will check with qt pup when I get some time ; -)
Darkcity, wait for mage006, mage004 is purely designed to deal with hardware, there is no qt4 components installed!
Last edited by scsijon on Sun 25 Mar 2012, 16:38, edited 1 time in total.

scsijon

#35 Post by scsijon »

folks,
There are bunfights on using static against dynamic packaging all over, I intend to work with dynamic packaging as this eliminates the possability of killing one app by removing another when the both use a particular library.

Overall size is no longer important, although I would like the final package to come in below 150Mb, as long as it is less than the size of a cd, that is all it matters.

Gstreamer is a backend operation, not a user application in itself. I shall be using clemintine for music at least as it's good for that, I am undecided what to use for video and the like as there is quite a choice (17) in the qt world, I shall decide when I have a working base as I want to make sure it can handle satellite, which has the worst streaming video possible with the transmission delays it has.

UPDATE: Just had a look at eggwm 0.2 (latest), it has expanding a minimized window problems with razorqt, which you must agree is a 'biggie' so for now I won't build it. If the problem is fixed, I will consider it then.
Last edited by scsijon on Sun 25 Mar 2012, 01:00, edited 1 time in total.

Gnuxo

#36 Post by Gnuxo »

What about ffplay? I used it play audio/video before from the hard disk.
Though I never figured how to get it to play online streams.

scsijon

mage004

#37 Post by scsijon »

new dev uploaded ok

problem with full install fixed (typso)

Gnuxo

#38 Post by Gnuxo »

Ok, I accidentally stumbled upon Dragonplayer, which is a gstreamer based audio/video player for KDE.

Being a KDE app, I don't think you'll be interested but at least it's a start.

In KDE, the Kpart plugin is what is used to play videos without flash using Kmplayer and gstreamer or mplayer or Xine, in Konquerer. (Yes Kpart only works in Konquerer)

However Konquerer is the only QT derivative of firefox. Or the closest to it.

Since this is a Qtpup, the KDE apps could be available options which is welcome.

greengeek

#39 Post by greengeek »

Tried to download mage004 but got this message:

"Sorry this page doesn't seem to be yet loaded, is faulty, or is not a page on this site! "

scsijon

#40 Post by scsijon »

note that there seems to have been a hardware crash last night, I am missing a lot of files.

reuploading these now, may not be available till tomorrow though as not all uploads work during the day.

sorry
scsijon

scsijon

#41 Post by scsijon »

ok, my puppy files are all ok again, now for 1109 glass files, batching them overnight....

have fun

greengeek

#42 Post by greengeek »

Mage 0.0.4 on Toshiba TE2100 2ghz 512Mb laptop, Xorgwizard wizard was unable to produce a working configuration and xwin would not run. Had to rerun xorgwizard and choose vesa. Then booted into desktop ok.

Haven't had this problem with other recent puppies on this laptop, but seem to recall it with some earlier ones.

Video is nVidia "Geforce4 420 Go" and I usually just run it in it's default mode as selected by the xorgwizard probe which seems to work fine in other puppies - I don't load a special driver (although I will eventually do so when I want to run CAD. Sometimes I load the xorg_high pet to speed up the graphics for trialling CAD programs).

pemasu

#43 Post by pemasu »

Just for fun of it. Mage-0.0.4. Boots to X with no problem. Wireless ok. I used ppm and chose arora and let all the dependencies to be downloaded, which meant most of mageia qt libs. Then libxcb-atom and here we are. I changed the Trolltech file to my own and got bigger fonts in menu bar. Qupzilla wasnt in Mageia repo so that is why arora.

I will test mageia repo for multimedia apps next.

I would say that the start looks good. And the kernel seems decent :D

Good work !

pemasu

Clementine

#44 Post by pemasu »

Clementine and all needed dependencies from mageia repo

James C

#45 Post by James C »

Mage-0.0.4 live pfix=ram.Had some trouble getting X to start.Began with "probe" and selecting 1366x768 and got a black screen with the "monitor out of range" message.Back to Xorgwizard, chose the "nouveau" driver (what this graphics chip generally uses) and got stuck at the prompt.Tried "vesa" and got a totally distorted screen. Back to Xorgwizard, chose "nv" and finally a desktop at the desired resolution.

# report-video
Mage1 Puppy, version 0.0.4 on Wed 28 Mar 2012

Chip description:

oem: NVIDIA
product: MCP61 - mcp61-86 Chip Rev

X Server: Xorg
Driver used: nv

X.Org version: 1.10.1
dimensions: 1368x768 pixels (414x232 millimeters)
depth of root window: 24 planes

...the above also recorded in /tmp/root/ as report-video,
and archived with xorg.conf and Xorg.0.log as report-video-full.gz

The sys-info-120328.gz is attached.

Installed Iceape 2.0.14 and one dependency, working ootb.
Attachments
Mage-0.0.4 Iceape.png
(184.44 KiB) Downloaded 951 times
sys-info-120328.gz
(12.29 KiB) Downloaded 689 times
Last edited by James C on Wed 28 Mar 2012, 21:11, edited 1 time in total.

pemasu

#46 Post by pemasu »

Utillitizing qt libs again. Smplayer-Mplayer from mageia-repo. Works.

pemasu

#47 Post by pemasu »

Vlc from mageia repo. It worked after I had edited the binary. I did install the vim for editing.

http://bikramkawan.com.np/how-i-run-vlc ... all-linux/

scsijon

#48 Post by scsijon »

Folks, I am not seeing the lighthouse sys-info files attached to your replies as requested. I really do need these to sort out drivers as mageia has an awfull lot to deal with!

greengeek,
vesa should always work as it's the failover system, also see note above please.

pemasu,
mageia are using the old qt3 location to install qt4, I have built qt4-4.8.0 pets for us with most of the lib's and inc's possible and it will go where, I believe, it should be in /opt. I also have a number of pets already built including the latest qupzilla done and in testing. You should have found a qt configuration tool, it allows you to globally set everything that works with qt. And yes, so-far the kernel has held up nicely, thank you for your work with the scripting tool. I have qlwm (the qt window-manager) running happily and am about to build the razor-qt desktop to work with it. For my intention is to supply only jwm and qlwm/razorqt as window managers/desktop environments, although of course all the listed mageia desktops should work. Yes, I have found clemintine to be nice and even with satellite there are very few noticeable pauses, which is a change. I am also considering adding Airtime, a radiostation, Landel, an a/v server, and Scenic, a teleconferancing centre to the list. I wonder how Lobster would handle it :lol: .

james,
the sys-info report file should allow me to work out what's wrong, thanks. It may be puppy related or the mageia1 drivers, I shall see, although it may need to await till I change over to mageia2 some time mid next month to finally fix.

for all,
the idea is to replace as much as possible with qt apps, all sugestions are accepted with thanks, but if possible, can you add a url to make the finding easier. Most of the apps I have tested from mageia1 have worked, although the way they split their packages down does seem to mean there can be quite a number of dependancies to get. I've even had a dependancy with one file in it!

and on we go
regards and thanks
scsijon

pemasu

#49 Post by pemasu »

Yeah. I just wanted to play with mageia repo and you can say it works great.o

Qtconfig is something I know of. But replacing Trolltech do the same. It changes the Qt apps menu font size easily. I do install my more eye pleasant Trolltech to my puplets so that when you install Qt-libs...you have better menu bar for all Qt apps instant ready and no need to figure out how to do it. Qtconfig is not so familiar in Puppy land. I can tell you that by experience with Polarpup and its preinstalled Qt-apps. The Trolltech editing came by need.

About above qt4 apps installation. I wanted to see how good mage is with rpm packages and I can say that they work great. I didnt check where mageia qt4-libs went....I just wanted to know if they work and also I wanted to know if the whole gstreamer framework works. And they did. That means the base is solid for everything you want to accomplish with your own pets......

scsijon

#50 Post by scsijon »

I've decided to skip from mage004 to mage2-002 (my first release alpha using Mageia2's base).

The reasons are:

- that the internal mage005 build, where I was just adding software packages from both the mageia1 and pet databases, went through internal testing without any sign of major problems showing up; and,
-the only video hardware problem left to deal with, for a nv card, needs the mageia2 nv driver to fix.

It should be out about mid april.

It uses my kernel-3.2.9-mage although this will be updated for the following alpha, xorg-X11's 7.6-5 release, has qt4 version 4.8.0 and it's Qtcreator IDE system, gstreamer, qupzilla as the browser, plus a number of other applications and a few games already added to keep the testers busy. Plus you now have the ability to download mageia2 packages to try.

The ONLY thing you MUST NOT DO is do a ppm database update as it is having problems dealing with the varying types and locations of the mageia files. I shall make a pet available to return it to base, if you accidentally do. I need a good script coder to sort it out, I can't! The problem can be found at http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=75739 if anyone wants a go, BarryK has been notified of the problem.

It also has an alpha set of the qlwm\razorqt, the pure qt4 windowmanager/desktop I intend to offer as default, although I shall always be leaving jwm still available for those that prefer it.

It will also have the menu system changed, as I did with the earlier warz008 alpha, to suit a development workstation rather than the general user workstation that puppy has by default.

regards
scsijon