Mageia 2-Based Puppies - LAST BETA RELEASE

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
pemasu

#46 Post by pemasu »

Utillitizing qt libs again. Smplayer-Mplayer from mageia-repo. Works.

pemasu

#47 Post by pemasu »

Vlc from mageia repo. It worked after I had edited the binary. I did install the vim for editing.

http://bikramkawan.com.np/how-i-run-vlc ... all-linux/

scsijon

#48 Post by scsijon »

Folks, I am not seeing the lighthouse sys-info files attached to your replies as requested. I really do need these to sort out drivers as mageia has an awfull lot to deal with!

greengeek,
vesa should always work as it's the failover system, also see note above please.

pemasu,
mageia are using the old qt3 location to install qt4, I have built qt4-4.8.0 pets for us with most of the lib's and inc's possible and it will go where, I believe, it should be in /opt. I also have a number of pets already built including the latest qupzilla done and in testing. You should have found a qt configuration tool, it allows you to globally set everything that works with qt. And yes, so-far the kernel has held up nicely, thank you for your work with the scripting tool. I have qlwm (the qt window-manager) running happily and am about to build the razor-qt desktop to work with it. For my intention is to supply only jwm and qlwm/razorqt as window managers/desktop environments, although of course all the listed mageia desktops should work. Yes, I have found clemintine to be nice and even with satellite there are very few noticeable pauses, which is a change. I am also considering adding Airtime, a radiostation, Landel, an a/v server, and Scenic, a teleconferancing centre to the list. I wonder how Lobster would handle it :lol: .

james,
the sys-info report file should allow me to work out what's wrong, thanks. It may be puppy related or the mageia1 drivers, I shall see, although it may need to await till I change over to mageia2 some time mid next month to finally fix.

for all,
the idea is to replace as much as possible with qt apps, all sugestions are accepted with thanks, but if possible, can you add a url to make the finding easier. Most of the apps I have tested from mageia1 have worked, although the way they split their packages down does seem to mean there can be quite a number of dependancies to get. I've even had a dependancy with one file in it!

and on we go
regards and thanks
scsijon

pemasu

#49 Post by pemasu »

Yeah. I just wanted to play with mageia repo and you can say it works great.o

Qtconfig is something I know of. But replacing Trolltech do the same. It changes the Qt apps menu font size easily. I do install my more eye pleasant Trolltech to my puplets so that when you install Qt-libs...you have better menu bar for all Qt apps instant ready and no need to figure out how to do it. Qtconfig is not so familiar in Puppy land. I can tell you that by experience with Polarpup and its preinstalled Qt-apps. The Trolltech editing came by need.

About above qt4 apps installation. I wanted to see how good mage is with rpm packages and I can say that they work great. I didnt check where mageia qt4-libs went....I just wanted to know if they work and also I wanted to know if the whole gstreamer framework works. And they did. That means the base is solid for everything you want to accomplish with your own pets......

scsijon

#50 Post by scsijon »

I've decided to skip from mage004 to mage2-002 (my first release alpha using Mageia2's base).

The reasons are:

- that the internal mage005 build, where I was just adding software packages from both the mageia1 and pet databases, went through internal testing without any sign of major problems showing up; and,
-the only video hardware problem left to deal with, for a nv card, needs the mageia2 nv driver to fix.

It should be out about mid april.

It uses my kernel-3.2.9-mage although this will be updated for the following alpha, xorg-X11's 7.6-5 release, has qt4 version 4.8.0 and it's Qtcreator IDE system, gstreamer, qupzilla as the browser, plus a number of other applications and a few games already added to keep the testers busy. Plus you now have the ability to download mageia2 packages to try.

The ONLY thing you MUST NOT DO is do a ppm database update as it is having problems dealing with the varying types and locations of the mageia files. I shall make a pet available to return it to base, if you accidentally do. I need a good script coder to sort it out, I can't! The problem can be found at http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=75739 if anyone wants a go, BarryK has been notified of the problem.

It also has an alpha set of the qlwm\razorqt, the pure qt4 windowmanager/desktop I intend to offer as default, although I shall always be leaving jwm still available for those that prefer it.

It will also have the menu system changed, as I did with the earlier warz008 alpha, to suit a development workstation rather than the general user workstation that puppy has by default.

regards
scsijon

scsijon

#51 Post by scsijon »

OK, had to sort out mageia2ppm for mageia 2 so things are a bit behind. It's not all done, but I'm not that great a coder nowadays! http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=77576 has the info if anyone wants to update their mageia2ppm for mageia2 or have a go at the rest.

First public alpha using mageia 2 should be out by the end of the month!

Codes for the public alphas will be mage2.0.x.x (even numbers only) with mage2.0.0.2 the first.

It is planned to have qt4 (4.8.0) and qtCreator, plus a 'few' other bits in it to keep testers busy, but these two applications will be where we expect them to be (under /opt), rather than mageia's way of leaving them where qt3 was (under /lib). I will have to have links across for mageia apps, but that is one of the bugfixes to test for.

scsijon

#52 Post by scsijon »

Bugfixes going on with Mageia 2 on a daily basis so I have decided to hold qtpuppy until it stabalizes.

However I finally got a Woof2 base to download so i'm spending time working out how to use it and will add mageia 2 to it and use it if I am happy that it works how I want.

scsijon

#53 Post by scsijon »

8 June 2012
Building first release alpha from Mageia 2 in progress, called mage2-1895, hopefully stable enough to put out there next week.

First alpha's/beta's released will be a copy of Drake as far as content is concerned. As it contained Barry's default set and is what most are use to to build and work on.

Many problems to sort out still though, as package release equivalents in mageia 2 are in some cases totally incompatable with what was used in Barry's Drake puppy (mageia 1). Also some packages from mageia 1 have had in mageia 2 components split out of them or re-combined in other combinations or ways, and tracing that has been, and remains a nightmare. I have no intention of moving mage2 (my name for mageia 2's variety of Drake) forward until I have this completed.

The last alpha build was going ok and passed application and operational tests using a full install. Then I finally installed a savefile version, it crashed and locked up the workstation each time I tried and the savefile wasn't even mountable afterwards to see if I could fault find.

We will be using kernel 3.3.6 as mageia 2 is using that and I have built pae and non-pae kernels, headers, and aufs-utils pets to match.

darkcity

#54 Post by darkcity »

looking forward to this release, sounds like it hasn't been straight forward to get it working ; -)

scsijon

#55 Post by scsijon »

Darkcity, that could be considered the biggest understatement of the new century to date.

And i've just found one that kills ppm's operation, so I will definately have to sort that one out before I release;

however i've killed five others by going back a version in another package so i'm going to try that with some of the others.

It does mean i'll not be releasing until next weekend at this stage though.

regards
scsijon

Gnuxo

#56 Post by Gnuxo »

I was hoping that you could include a few great qt apps in the qtpup repos

1.The newest Dooble, because I love that browser.
2.Either koalawriter or focuswriter, because abiword is gtk based and I love my full screen writing apps.

3. Could you have kmplayer as the default mediaplayer, and konquerer as the browser?
Because if you have kmplayer, kpart plugin and konquerer, they can mimic a firefox/gnome mplayer experience so people can watch their youtube without flash.

kmplayer can use any of the major frameworks, from mplayer to gstreamer...etc;

I cannot wait for this puppy!!!

saintless

#57 Post by saintless »

Hi, Scsijon and thanks for the project you work on!

The attached archive contains the reports from Mage1 Puppy ALPHA 004 and Qt Puppy ALPHA 08.

The testing machine is IBM Netvista, PIII 650 Mhz, 128Mb RAM, integrated graphics and audio, wired network, 2Gb swap partition.

So far I don't see any problems while testing.
Attachments
reports.tar.gz
(31.48 KiB) Downloaded 359 times

scsijon

#58 Post by scsijon »

THIS IS A WORK IN PROGRESS, many links are missing still, and in mageia files can be in different places from the 'puppy norm'.

However i'm going in for a bit of keyhole surgery Wednesday and thought it had best be available.

First alpha (should have been 1.9.82 - :oops: my typo) will be uploaded tonight.
http://www.lamiaworks.com.au/puppy/mage ... 1.9.92.iso

Petted Kernel for Mageia 2
http://www.lamiaworks.com.au/puppy/mage ... e-i586.pet
http://www.lamiaworks.com.au/puppy/mage ... e-i586.pet

aufs for Mageia 2
http://www.lamiaworks.com.au/puppy/mage ... 3-i486.pet

woof 2 files
http://www.lamiaworks.com.au/puppy/mage ... S_mageia-2
http://www.lamiaworks.com.au/puppy/mage ... _PET_REPOS
http://www.lamiaworks.com.au/puppy/mage ... unofficial

see you next weekend
scsijon

bohocmasni

#59 Post by bohocmasni »

1.9.82:

( its difficult, when I haven't clipboard in console )

seamonkey can't load, cannot open shared libaries: libhunspell-1.2.so.0 : No such file or directory.

ppm has lots of: tr: warning: an unescaped blackslash at end of string is not portable.

but it works and I could download dillo it works also

bohocmasni

#60 Post by bohocmasni »

i attach a file, i hope this file need you
Attachments
sys-info-120625.gz
(15.96 KiB) Downloaded 359 times

scsijon

#61 Post by scsijon »

thank you bohocmansi, you weren't expected to test 1.9.92. It was a safety version in case my op had problems so another could take over without starting again from square 1, however just about everything has been fixed and i'm home and back at it again. Marvelous what is done nowadays using keyhole surgery and the short time (6hrs) from admittance to discharge.

However, back to 1.9.92. I have so far found over 100 missing links and incomplete or incorrect paths as far as puppy is concerned. Like barry has done with wary/racy at least, I shall be creating a zz-puppy-mage2.pet type file to address the problems and allow both mageia and puppy core packages to run together. However I shall also be creating a number of puppyied mage2 cutdown replacements as there are quite a number of packages where we in the puppy world only need two or three of the libs and not the 20+ lib files in the package.

Another reason we need so many as mageia 2 has kept existing structures when updating core components and major package releases, rather than using the package standards. I am hoping they can be convinced to fix and use these 'standard' locations for mageia 3, else the only packages that will happily run on their system are their own.

I hope that I shall release the next and real first alpha in about a fortnight.

scsijon

darkcity

#62 Post by darkcity »

looking forward to testing, hope the op went well.

bohocmasni

#63 Post by bohocmasni »

I think lets wait for qt5 final version.

scsijon

#64 Post by scsijon »

thanks darkcity, i'm almost back to normal and still improving, don't have to see the surgeon for three months so he must think i'm ok now.

Anyway, an Alpha release is now available for testing. See the first page for details.

And just a short note on qt5 vs qt4.

Qt4 follows the old local machine or a server location for an application and resources, qt5 expects the application to live in a 'cloud' environment by default. Very different.
Also I was told that qt5 will be in a Alpha/Beta/Release cycle for quite a while before settling down yet, big parts of it haven't even been written/coded yet and the initial release will have quite a bit of qt4 code in qt5 wrappers. It does use Qt Quick as it's primary IDE though so new players should find it very easy to work with.

Gnuxo

#65 Post by Gnuxo »

Qupzilla 1.3 is incredibly good.

It has greasemonkey.

Pemasu made a pet with the Youtuber plugin installed, so youtube can open in external media players.

http://www.smokey01.com/pemasu/pet_pack ... -1.3.0.pet

I use it instead of firefox. :)

There's also the Pencil animator: http://pencil-animation.org