Slacko 5.7 PAE with no firefox, abiword, gnumeric ....

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
rufwoof

Slacko 5.7 PAE with no firefox, abiword, gnumeric ....

#1 Post by rufwoof »

Remastered Slacko 5.7 PAE :

http://tinyurl.com/nte2ku6

Slacko5.7PAE-no-FF.iso
144,084,992 bytes (138MB)
md5sum : fae1df3edf625819c449441eada4a9eb

Removed abiword, gnumeric, inchscape, epdfview (epdfview replaced with evince as that has better support for Ctrl-F (find)).

Removed firefox, added in Shinobar's portable firefox as a file (firefox-portable-0.5.tar.gz) in the HOME directory. After first run (setting up display and internet connection etc) copy/move that file to outside of savefile space, extract and run (see http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 889#764889). Being outside completely means that updates would be easier and not affect savefile space (cache etc).

ROX-Filer set to double-clicks (more compatible generally).

Fixed mplayer so it correctly fullscreen's.

Added ROX as a Open With option (so ROX can open other directories in a ROX).

Changed HTOP colours

Added in support of my old Belkin USB wireless adapter (F5D5060)

Lean, with the potential to stay lean (save documents/music etc outside of savefile space, use (load/unload) Libre Office SFS for office aps, Portable Firefox outside of savespace ...etc).

If you want/need gnumeric/abiword, then load them as a SFS. Use something like http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=65400 where you can combine PET's and SFS's into a single SFS, which can then be loaded/unloaded on the fly as desired (also means that any updating of such programs is outside of savefile space)

Here for example is a SFS that I've uploaded for the above puppy that contains OpenShot (Video Editing), Audacity (sound editing), Blender (3D animation) and xvidcap (desktop video capture)

http://tinyurl.com/obb2z3n
multimedia.sfs
md5sum 975f853c1fe4c7edaf78d1b255634149
132,472,832 bytes (127MB)

There are some good Blender tutorial youtubes here http://youtu.be/Q93pE5jB1Uw

Personally my hardware is odd, old monitor, NVIDIA card etc. To get to boot the first time I have to boot with

puppy pfix=ram,nox nouveau.modeset=0

and then run xorgwizard to select the nv option, which requires a reboot (and creating a savefile)...etc. After that its all fine.
Attachments
Screenshot_2014-03-15_005406.png
xvidcap (screen video capture)
(94.89 KiB) Downloaded 3177 times
Screenshot_2014-03-15_005311.png
Audacity (audio edit)
(136.38 KiB) Downloaded 3177 times
Screenshot_2014-03-15_005017.png
OpenShot (video/audio edit)
(71.22 KiB) Downloaded 3219 times
Screenshot_2014-03-15_004927.png
Blender (3D animation)
(178.53 KiB) Downloaded 3234 times

greengeek

Re: Slacko 5.7 PAE with no firefox, abiword, gnumeric ....

#2 Post by greengeek »

rufwoof wrote:Personally my hardware is odd, old monitor, NVIDIA card etc. To get to boot the first time I have to boot with

puppy pfix=ram,nox nouveau.modeset=0

and then run xorgwizard to select the nv option, which requires a reboot (and creating a savefile)...etc. After that its all fine.
What's your hardware? I have an older nvidia and have only just got to grips with loading the correct nvidia driver. Seems so much better than using nouveau for me (I've been needing accelerated graphics for CAD purposes and nv just didn't do it correctly)

rufwoof

#3 Post by rufwoof »

What's your hardware?
Sorry, only just seen your post.

AMD64 3500+ with 1.5GB RAM and Nvidia GeForce 8600GT

With the correct NVidia driver for the kernel loaded and tweaking some of the settings to max (not really sure what I was doing, but just went through the menus one by one), it works really well. I've set windows to be opaque (so drawn as resize or moved rather than a square line outline) and moving/resizing whilst playing several mp4's at the same time works great.

I did have to tweak gnome-mplayer to get it to work properly (wasn't displaying video's full screen)

opened /root/.mplayer/config and entered a line

zoom=1

and then opened mplayer, selected edit, preferences and under the MPlayer tab in the Extra Options field entered

-zoom

eztuxer

#4 Post by eztuxer »

Thanks for this puplet rufwoof.
How can I please set Rox to single click again ? (never mind, found & fixed)
Will report on hardware support on ultra new AKOYA notebook, so far, sound is working which is a feat in itself...
And good job on Mplayer full screen.
Don't poop it down... Pup it Up !

Henry

Re: Slacko 5.7 PAE with no firefox, abiword, gnumeric ....

#5 Post by Henry »

rufwoof wrote:Remastered Slacko 5.7 PAE :

http://tinyurl.com/nte2ku6

Slacko5.7PAE-no-FF.iso
144,084,992 bytes (138MB)
md5sum : fae1df3edf625819c449441eada4a9eb

I am very interested in this, but have tried several times to download unsuccessfully. It downloads for a while then starts over - and over. I've been using the same puppy and opera to download isos for years without fail. Any other place I can try?
Thanks!

rufwoof

#6 Post by rufwoof »

have tried several times to download unsuccessfully. It downloads for a while then starts over - and over.
I've been trying myself over the last few days and don't hit that glitch Henry so I'm struggling to suggest a reason as to why that might be occurring.

Stumped :cry:

Henry

#7 Post by Henry »

rufwoof wrote:
have tried several times to download unsuccessfully. It downloads for a while then starts over - and over.
I've been trying myself over the last few days and don't hit that glitch Henry so I'm struggling to suggest a reason as to why that might be occurring.

Stumped :cry:
Thanks. Sorry for the bother. It was just that I never have a problem with isos. Downloaded two this morning, Maybe it's something with that google notice I get, or that I don't have wget. I always just use Opera. No worries.

James C

#8 Post by James C »

For whatever it's worth , I just successfully downloaded this with Chrome.....no problem.

rogerology

Can't download file from Google Drive

#9 Post by rogerology »

This is the error message I get: "Sorry, the file you have requested does not exist."