How to make Broadcom wifi card work?

What works, and doesn't, for you. Be specific, and please include Puppy version.
kulkulcaan

How to make Broadcom wifi card work?

#1 Post by kulkulcaan »

I have a Broadcom wifi card which uses the bcmwl5a.inf driver in XP.

I've checked out the card under puppy using lspci and it says the VID:PID is 14e4: 4318

I've tried using ndiswrapper to get this working but no joy.

Has anyone else tried this card ?

K

BlackAdder

#2 Post by BlackAdder »

Not sure what you have tried with ndiswrapper. The wifi-beta2 dot pup does support the Broadcom chipset, but your vendor id: product id combination is not listed. You can find it here.
The dot pup implements ndiswrapper (only), and has a HowTo that includes info. on installing and activating your own drivers. It is a 3+MB download.
The driver set provided by tempestuous (forum name) doesn't include Broadcomm drivers. Pity about that.

Hope this helps.

tempestuous

#3 Post by tempestuous »

A Linux driver for Broadcom wifi chips has only just been released in the last few months - http://bcm43xx.berlios.de/
It's at alpha stage, and will only compile on a recent 2.6 kernel. I even tried, without success, to compile it against the Puppy 1.0.2 kernel (2.6.11.7).

kulkulcaan

Broadcom Wifi Card

#4 Post by kulkulcaan »

Managed to sort this one out.

I got the ndiswrapper and perl pups. Loaded them both and found that ndiswrapper came with the bcmwl5 driver. However, this driver does not work for my card.

I removed the existing bcmwl5 driver and replaced it with the one from windoze eXPee.

ndiswrapper -e bcmwl5 (removed old driver included with ndiswrapper pup)

ndiswrapper -i /root/my-drivers/bcmwl5.inf

ndiswrapper -l
"bcmwl5 driver present, hardware present "

This came back and confirmed that the driver was loaded and the hardware was detected.

The card is VID:PCI 14e4:4318 which is not listed as working anywhere. I did find 14e4:4320 was so I'll add 4318 to the wireless page.

I then configured the card using WAG

I then used the /etc/rc.d/rc.local script to load the card at boot up.

modprobe ndiswrapper
iwconfig wlan0 essid wireless
iwconfig wlan0 key XXXXX
ifconfig wlan0 IPADDR up
route add default gw 192.168.0.1

I had problems putting multiple parameters to set up the card so I did them individually.

I also set /etc/resolv.conf to include my router;

nameserver 192.168.0.1

I didnt bother with dhcp as I only have a couple of devices so I hardcoded it.

Hope this helps people

K