Schedule an mhWaveEdit recording session?

Using applications, configuring, problems
Bushbuck

Schedule an mhWaveEdit recording session?

#1 Post by Bushbuck »

Does anyone know if mhWaveEdit can be made to start up in recording mode, as though it had got the UI sequence "record-button", and then "Start" on the dialogue?

Is there a command-line option?

I'd like to fire it off at ridiculous o'clock, to capture things off the radio, instead of getting a big wav file, and chucking away the lead-in.

Haven't scheduled anything yet, but I'm guessing "crontab" will do that part.
Xenial Puppy 64, Gigabyte motherboard, Intel i7 4770.

mostly_lurking

#2 Post by mostly_lurking »

Code: Select all

# mhwaveedit --help
Syntax: mhwaveedit [files]
Doesn't look like it has any command-line options for anything other than opening a file.

I wonder if ffmpeg could be used for the recording instead? That one is a command-line tool, after all... I'm afraid you'll have to google around or ask someone else how to do it, though; I have no idea.

Edit: I just remembered that Puppy - mine, at least - has another recording program called precord. It has command-line options (type precord --help) and seems to be using arecord to do the actual recording.

Bushbuck

#3 Post by Bushbuck »

Thanks, mostly_lurking.

I'd forgotten about precord, as it didn't appear in the menu (in Tahr 64), but it installed OK.

I'll have a play with that. I wondered if Audacity would do it, but can never find my way around in that program.

don570

#4 Post by don570 »

baconrecorder will schedule several recordings in background..
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=69237

Bushbuck

#5 Post by Bushbuck »

Thanks, don570. Another one I'll try.

Re stability, my mhWaveEdit recording sessions sometimes crash -- exiting to command prompt. Never used to get that in 32-bit Tahr 6.0, but do now I'm using Tahr 64-bit.

Not clear what's doing it. It seems to happen more while I'm using the Pale Moon browser, but since I'm doing that most of the time anyway, that's probably a false conclusion.

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#6 Post by Flash »

You need to tell us more about what you mean by "recording session."

Bushbuck

#7 Post by Bushbuck »

Recording WAV format from the 3.5mm mic in socket.
Hardware = Sony VAIO laptop, circa 2008, VGN-AR61E
2 GB RAM.

Save directory on sda2, but the mhwaveEdit configured temp directory, and my WAV save location both on a large external USB drive, ext2, plenty free space.

Overnight recording bouts (~ 8 hours) with a freshly booted system, and just mhWaveEdit run, usually work.

Recording, and simultaneously having the browser loaded, seems to be more likely to fail, and I don't need to be actively doing stuff, or on the web, just leaving the browser loaded (I think).