Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Tue 30 Sep 2014, 10:35
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » House Training » Users ( For the regulars )
installing Vector Linux 5 STD RC1 under VirtualPC
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
Page 1 of 1 [2 Posts]  
papaschtroumpf

PostPosted: Sat 18 Jun 2005, 00:07    Post subject:  installing Vector Linux 5 STD RC1 under VirtualPC  

Rather than install VectorLinux on a new partition, I decided to install it on my windows machine (more hardrive space) under VirtualPC.

I had to make a few tweaks to get it working, so I figured I'd share them to save some trial and error to anyone wanting to do the same:

- create a new virtual machine with a 3G virtual HD, which should be plenty for VL5, an entire 1G partition for puppy play, and 512M of swap.

- first off the VL5STD install script didn't like seeing an unformatted and unpartionned HD (invalid ID 0x00000 or something like that). I couldn't figure out how to solve it in VL so I mounted the puppy image, booted into puppy and ran fdisk there to create my partitions

- then I attached the VL5STD CD, booted from it and the install ran fine (but keep reading)

- VirtualPC emulates sb16 sound, it's not autodetected so you need to probe for it (ignore the warning about it being unsafe)

- after my first try at installing, the system would hang at the "starting hotplug" stage of the boot, so I disabled hotplug (didn't install the package, and passed nohotplug as one of the optional LILO arguments)

- DO NOT set up X during the original install, it just caused the install to hang. Instead skip over it and setup to boot in the text interface (we'll fix that below)

- after you have finished the install, run "vasm", the Vector Linux configuration utility. Choose advanced vasm (enter root password) and set up X. During the X setup the virtual PC screen turned a greenish color making it hard to read, but still allowed me to finish the install.

- while in vasm you might as well choose your windows manager

- exit vasm and do not start X yet, it gave me a garbage looking screen at that point. To fix it edit /etc/X11/xorg.cong and replace the line that says:
Driver "s3"
with
Driver "vesa"

- now you should be able to type "startx" and be in business

I wasn't familiar with Vector Linux, but it's a nice clean simple distribution. Too bad in doesn't come on a liveCD Very Happy

Lobster
Official Crustacean

PostPosted: Sat 18 Jun 2005, 01:03    Post subject:  

That information is now stored and can be updated and improved here:

http://www.goosee.com/puppy/wikka/Compiling

Smile

Page 1 of 1 [2 Posts]  
 Forum index » House Training » Users ( For the regulars )
Jump to: